Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simble
May 11, 2004

Use "Every Few Months"

Edit: Never mind, you're talking about a single transaction not a budget. (Use a budget)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I hate that too, the best thing i've seen is a 'hide from budget' to prevent my monthly income graph from looking all wonky when I buy something I've been saving for several months for

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yeah i think I've been using mint poorly all these years; I never even touch the budget button. is it worth loving with?
I usually determined my spending by looking at the trend for a year per month. :downs:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I use Mint purely to track my transactions and YNAB for actually budgeting. I find Mint to be way too clunky.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Expensed items and bonuses are a misery on Mint as well.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
For expense-able items I mark them with a "expense" Tag and then hide it from all my reports. When I get reimbursed for the expense I mark that payment as an expense as well so it all nets out to zero. Only way I could figure that one out.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Foma posted:

Look at this budget noob putting yearly expenses in monthly.

It's bi-annual actually (yes, my property taxes are nearly the size of the mortgage payments). Mint sets it up correctly as described by simble, but the trends view doesn't care about that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I use Toshl for tracking expenses, it syncs well with the mobile app. Mint doesn't really work too hot if you're overseas.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Minty Swagger posted:

For expense-able items I mark them with a "expense" Tag and then hide it from all my reports. When I get reimbursed for the expense I mark that payment as an expense as well so it all nets out to zero. Only way I could figure that one out.

TFW you come back from a business trip with like 50 expensed items on your card and have to individually tag every one of them on Mint

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

TFW you come back from a business trip with like 50 expensed items on your card and have to individually tag every one of them on Mint

Just put them all on one card and bulk select all of that card's transactions. It's easy in my case, since I have a special corporate card that basically means I don't get the rewards points for my business expenses.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

This doesn't sound especially onerous at all.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

There is a select multiple option so it's not too bad!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

baquerd posted:

Just put them all on one card and bulk select all of that card's transactions. It's easy in my case, since I have a special corporate card that basically means I don't get the rewards points for my business expenses.

That seems like a bad deal. I got a free flight to Montreal last year thanks to work expense reward points.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I use Toshl for tracking expenses, it syncs well with the mobile app. Mint doesn't really work too hot if you're overseas.
I tried using Mint to track expenses for a while but switched over to Toshl and it's awesome. You have to enter all of your expenses manually but it's easy through the app. Takes about 7 seconds to pull out phone, 5-10 taps, done. You can export all expenses to excel later if you want to slice and dice it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Being a parent, I really liked MMM's most recent post. Specifically this part really spoke to me, especially since I have an Asian tiger mom and I grew up in and currently live in the bay area:

quote:

Higher Education, Performance, and Stress:

For me, this is where the rubber really meets the road. If you can’t leverage money to live more happily, then what good is it? And yet consider the stunning case study of the children of the nation’s uber-wealthy enclaves like Palo Alto, California. Despite incredible wealth and some of the best educational institutions money can buy, kids there are more stressed, less happy, and more likely to commit suicide than others who live with a fraction of their privilege.

The problem arises when high-achieving parents assume that their kids need to be pushed to achieve more themselves, to beat out the other high achievers and gain access to the most elite schools, in order to compete in this incredibly challenging modern world.

Remember way back when I started this blog in April 2011? Right there in the first paragraph of the first post, we hit this sentence:

“… when it boils down to it, we are talking about money, and the freedom it can give you. Freedom from worry, and freedom from most forms of bullshit.”

To me, raising kids to feel pressure and fear so they can be COMPETITORS is bullshit. Life is not a competition. It’s a gigantic collaboration, and the world welcomes and rewards people who see it that way.

It may be that most parents of the very-upper-middle class are still operating from a scarcity mindset. If they are addicted to a high consumption lifestyle, earning $600,000 per year but still making car and house payments, they will assume that their children will need to earn and consume just as much in order to be happy. This of course dictates a job in the top fraction of the top percent of the economy, and education with enough prestige to secure such a job.

On the other hand, having crossed the threshold of having more than enough money for a good life almost a decade ago, I cannot even imagine my son not earning a plentiful and permanent surplus very early on in his adult life. Thus, there is no need to fight for traditional elite status. It is much more efficient to rise up to into your own niche without the constant drag of material addiction telling you you aren’t good enough. Paradoxically, this path is rare enough that you might end up earning even more money in the end.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/05/20/what-im-teaching-my-son-about-money/

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Cicero posted:

Being a parent, I really liked MMM's most recent post. Specifically this part really spoke to me, especially since I have an Asian tiger mom and I grew up in and currently live in the bay area:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/05/20/what-im-teaching-my-son-about-money/

I liked parts of it, but as always, he fucks it up by pontificating too much, specifically this bit:

quote:

Income is not something that employers or the government ration out to you based on a rigged system. It is a something you generate yourself. It is the byproduct of your hard work, combined with learning and mastering the system itself. Even the system itself is subject to your control if you choose.

The vast majority of jobs and financial opportunities actually are a rigged system. My son (and MMM's) will have the benefit of avoiding crushing poverty, but that was through his parent's luck. I wish MMM would drop the idea that it's all a meritocracy and realize that his advice is for the people (that for whatever reason) have middle/higher incomes.

I also think he waited a bit late to introduce money, it says age six or so. I read recently that most kids learn all they know about money before age 7, most likely through watching their parent's spending habits (so his kid is off to a good start there too), but I think kids can handle using money before 6.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

poopinmymouth posted:

I liked parts of it, but as always, he fucks it up by pontificating too much, specifically this bit:

The vast majority of jobs and financial opportunities actually are a rigged system. My son (and MMM's) will have the benefit of avoiding crushing poverty, but that was through his parent's luck. I wish MMM would drop the idea that it's all a meritocracy and realize that his advice is for the people (that for whatever reason) have middle/higher incomes.

I also think he waited a bit late to introduce money, it says age six or so. I read recently that most kids learn all they know about money before age 7, most likely through watching their parent's spending habits (so his kid is off to a good start there too), but I think kids can handle using money before 6.

I can't think of a reason to hide knowledge of money from them.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Regarding multi-month spending in a single transaction, what I do is split the transaction using the Split function in Mint. You can then span a transaction across as many months as you need. It's a pain in the rear end, and fairly spergy, but it's worth it for me because I give up pretty easily if I don't have all my holes plugged when I'm doing something. Especially something financial.

The worst part is you can only set the date of a transaction to three months into the future for some stupid ungodly reason. So for a yearly transaction you have to constantly be pushing the remaining split-transactions ahead every three months.

Also note that your "Transactions" tab will now be cluttered with all these future split-transactions, but to avoid that from being a nuisance you can use the smartphone App that only shows current/historical transactions via Recent Transactions, or use the net income bar chart at the bottom of the Overview page.

Clicking the green bar for a corresponding month, such as the current month, will only show transactions for that month. It's become a regular routine for me to log into Mint, check that bar chart to see if I'm on track for the month, and then I click the bar for the current month to see why or why not.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 25, 2015

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

tuyop posted:

I can't think of a reason to hide knowledge of money from them.

My husband and I are trying at the moment and we've talked about this. Both of our parents hid finances from us so we both had a painful growth period as young adults. Our plan is to have the kids sit with us for our weekly budget meetings, and if they want something we show them how we have to plan for it.

The main point where we differ (and maybe you guys can shed some light) is that he thinks it's detrimental to let the kids know our income. His dad always hid how much money his family has from him, he didn't know that they were rich until sometime in college. He feels like this gave him a much more normal childhood (as normal as it can be when your dad sends you to a boarding school in Europe for rich kids) and grounded him into not becoming an rear end in a top hat. I disagree, I think transparency and talking frankly about how lucky they are and talking about where we sit on the income curve will give them a frame of reference. I'm not sure which one of us is right, and I definitely don't know how to argue my side without it turning into a huge fight because he is pretty firmly planted on his.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rurutia posted:

My husband and I are trying at the moment and we've talked about this. Both of our parents hid finances from us so we both had a painful growth period as young adults. Our plan is to have the kids sit with us for our weekly budget meetings, and if they want something we show them how we have to plan for it.

The main point where we differ (and maybe you guys can shed some light) is that he thinks it's detrimental to let the kids know our income. His dad always hid how much money his family has from him, he didn't know that they were rich until sometime in college. He feels like this gave him a much more normal childhood (as normal as it can be when your dad sends you to a boarding school in Europe for rich kids) and grounded him into not becoming an rear end in a top hat. I disagree, I think transparency and talking frankly about how lucky they are and talking about where we sit on the income curve will give them a frame of reference. I'm not sure which one of us is right, and I definitely don't know how to argue my side without it turning into a huge fight because he is pretty firmly planted on his.

Telling your kids your income and costs in raw numbers is equal to giving them ample leverage for when they make demands if they have even the slightest talent for math. That's is a lot of pain and suffering that you can avoid by obscufating.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Don't forget that young children tend to be blabbermouths. I wouldn't tell anything to anyone under 8 that I wouldn't be comfortable with them blurting out to other kids or the neighbors.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah maybe worry more about the part of the budget that impacts them specifically? Like keep it to groceries/toys/entertainment/clothes/school supplies and whatnot.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I question how open MMM actually is in terms of his overall wealth. I'm not accusing him of being misleading in that article, but I think he doesn't tell his son all of the details about the family's income/assets. He talks about the concept of money, not their money.

On a podcast MMM was on about a year ago he was asked what he does about saving for his child's college education, and he responded by saying that he doesn't have to worry about that since he has more than enough in savings to cover many college educations, but he would never tell his son that, for that would create a spoiled rich kid with no drive.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

On a podcast MMM was on about a year ago he was asked what he does about saving for his child's college education, and he responded by saying that he doesn't have to worry about that since he has more than enough in savings to cover many college educations, but he would never tell his son that, for that would create a spoiled rich kid with no drive.

Hmm, hope the kid never learns to Google!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm not talking about knowledge of your family finances, that's a very different kind of thing. I can think of reasons why people hide that, just not very good ones. (Oh they might know we're wealthy and I'll lose my "affordability" scapegoat and have to teach self control! Oh the neighbours might know some budgeting info and I'll have to teach my child about manners and self control!)

I thought the topic was knowledge of money. As in, here is money, here is a bank account, here is how you use online banking, here is how interest works. I can't think of any reason to keep that from your child other than the fact that they have no interest, which would be strange.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Because that's something that takes 5 minutes to explain (if it even needs to be).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Harry posted:

Because that's something that takes 5 minutes to explain (if it even needs to be).

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying. You'd somehow hide knowledge of money because it's complicated and may not need to be explained at that level until your kid is older! :downs:

What is? Knowledge of money as a thing? I mean, it's not such a blatantly simple subject because the relationship between money, desire, delayed gratification, and the philosophies that change your perspective on all things related to money should all be interrogated more or less explicitly with your kid, in my opinion. Is money a holder of value? Utility? Freedom? How does all that even work? If it were so easy as to require no planned education, we would be a much different society.

Like, take a simple question that might come up if you tell your kid to save money, "why would the bank pay me interest?"

A possible response: "Well, the bank can make more money off of your money than you can by letting companies use it to buy new buildings and stuff, so they give you a cut." Which begs the follow up, "So why wouldn't I just give my money to companies for that?" Which is much more complicated because now you have to explain corporations, stocks, bonds, risk and reward, the whole mess, which are all nested in more assumptions and philosophies.

I mean, what if your kid asks you if the bank ever gives (your child's) money to bad people to do bad things?

tuyop fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 25, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Harry posted:

I know more adults than I am willing to count that have lived their lives without ever figuring out even the rudimentary parts of the financial world.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Xoidanor posted:

I know more adults than I am willing to count that have lived their lives without ever figuring out even the rudimentary parts of the financial world.

A ridiculous part of the population still believes that if you make more money and you get into a new tax bracket, you lose more.

That and combined with... CHECK OUT MY MASSIVE TAX REFUNNDDDDD.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

I agree that the majority of the system is indeed rigged and luck plays a good part in being in the position to potentially become financially independent in the first place. However, (hopefully?) he's not preaching to the choir, but instead to people who have the potential for FI but haven't made the lifestyle changes necessary. Maybe telling people it's a meritocracy could actually be a convenient lie, because it eliminates most of the excuses the middle/higher income people could use to not do it.

To close out a long-time tangent from the early days of this thread (like, first few pages if I remember), I am eternally grateful for the ACA. My new insurance premium quotes are less than 1/10th what they used to be pre-ACA, so I can finally afford to do this. Yay for no more PECs!

I'm cutting down spending right now and building up for an end-of-day-job transition early next year. I'll still be running my side business because I love doing it, but it's different when you WANT to do something, versus HAVE to do something. :)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Full-time job with a decent wage is definitely a barrier which can be difficult to climb these days but most of his target group (above 30 males with families) should statically find themselves on the other side of that huddle.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

TLG James posted:

A ridiculous part of the population still believes that if you make more money and you get into a new tax bracket, you lose more.

That and combined with... CHECK OUT MY MASSIVE TAX REFUNNDDDDD.

That said, there are deduction/avoidance/benefits phaseouts for various items as you go up beyond specific earnings ceilings, e.g. the main "poverty line", saver's credit, traditional IRA deduction, Roth IRA contribution capability, or becoming a highly compensated employee in your company. There are ways to mitigate many of them, but sometimes that means getting more creative.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

poopinmymouth posted:

Good point, we should tell our kids, "The game is rigged, whatever career you end up with is because of luck and the nature of the system." Why didn't I think of this before??

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

TLG James posted:

My coworkers managed a majority vote for a no-strings-attached blanket pay cut for our entire department for this very loving reason almost a year ago. And then everyone (including a lot of the same people) started quitting because we weren't getting paid enough.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cicero posted:

Good point, we should tell our kids, "The game is rigged, whatever career you end up with is because of luck and the nature of the system." Why didn't I think of this before??

While you shouldn't tell your kid that it's hopeless, you shouldn't bullshit them about it either. Let them know that some career paths are going to lead to more money, and going for that Philosophy degree isn't a great idea for most people.

Note: I don't have a kid so ignore me.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I had my own piggy bank and could count all of my money when I was 5. Kids vacuum up information and you can't stop them from learning. I figured out how banks worked when I was about 7 (the conventional understanding rather than today's practices). For answering kid's questions you can just answer the immediate question. If that keeps them happy that's all that's needed, rather than an economics lecture.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Cicero posted:

You don't see a problem in teaching a kid that it's all up to your own effort, in a system with gross inequality?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's probably good enough to compare it to getting sick. Some people are more likely to get sick than others, not their fault. Some people who are very sick can do amazing things despite it, while some people who only get a little sick sometimes are big babies about it. We should probably still help sick people, just like we should still help poor people!

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

poopinmymouth posted:

You don't see a problem in teaching a kid that it's all up to your own effort, in a system with gross inequality?

Just play this for the kid and teach him/her to embrace it as a life motto, and 'gross inequality' ceases to matter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9TouRnO84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Inept posted:

While you shouldn't tell your kid that it's hopeless, you shouldn't bullshit them about it either. Let them know that some career paths are going to lead to more money, and going for that Philosophy degree isn't a great idea for most people.
This I completely agree with, I don't see what this has to do with what I or poopinmymouth or MMM said though.

poopinmymouth posted:

The biggest problems are ones of opportunity and education that my kids probably won't suffer from. That said we should definitely teach them about structural (dis)advantages, I just don't think that means that achieving a reasonable amount of financial success is down to luck if you grow up in a non-terrible middle-class household.

What home you grow up in is obviously down to luck, and some people are struck by uncontrollable tragedy or other cruel twists of fate. But then again, tons of people are also down financially just due to poor career choices, bad financial discipline, and other decisions that are entirely within their control.

tuyop posted:

It's probably good enough to compare it to getting sick. Some people are more likely to get sick than others, not their fault. Some people who are very sick can do amazing things despite it, while some people who only get a little sick sometimes are big babies about it. We should probably still help sick people, just like we should still help poor people!
Sure.