Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

coyo7e posted:

I dunno who Danny Pudi is offhand, but the new movie CHAPPiE has a lot of Stranger in a Strange Land going for it, fyi.. At least as much as the Robocop/I, Robot influences.

Abed, the sperg on Community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Paolo Bacigalupi has an interview up on NPR about his new book The Water Knife, out in a couple of days. It's a short interview but it goes over the "we're all going to be sweaty and thirsty and crammed together fighting for the bare minimum of survival" depressing stuff he did amazingly well in Shipbreaker, Drowned Cities, and Windup Girl. Also, the summary makes it sound like it has a Fallout: New Vegas vibe, which is kind of awesome:

Amazon Summary posted:

The American Southwest has been decimated by drought. Nevada and Arizona skirmish over dwindling shares of the Colorado River, while California watches, deciding if it should just take the whole river all for itself. Into the fray steps Las Vegas water knife Angel Velasquez. Detective, assassin, and spy, Angel “cuts” water for the Southern Nevada Water Authority and its boss, Catherine Case, ensuring that her lush, luxurious arcology developments can bloom in the desert and that anyone who challenges her is left in the gutted-suburban dust.

I was really badly burned by his last book - The Doubt Factory - which was garbage except for a reasonably tense climax. I think he's got good action sensibilities when he applies them to a solid, realistic sci-fi foundation and I'm hoping this one's a return to form.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's previously toyed with that kind of setting in one of the short stories in Pump Six.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The general consensus is that Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is good, right?

Is the new TV show worth watching?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mirthdefect posted:

It's kind of a love it or hate it thing. Personally, I heroically made it 1/3 into the book and deleted it. So did everyone I actually know who tried to read it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Megazver posted:

It's kind of a love it or hate it thing. Personally, I heroically made it 1/3 into the book and deleted it. So did everyone I actually know who tried to read it.

I read the whole thing, because I was really bored. It was a tedious grind.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I think I stopped halfway through. It emulates this 19th century style of prose, and it is kinda cool for the first 200 pages, okay for 200 more and then rapidly turns very stupid.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I actually really liked it and never really found the prose style a problem.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mirthdefect posted:

Very much yes to both

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I loved it and found the writing constantly delightful. It feels very 19th century British, and if you enjoy that style, you'll probably like it the whole way through.

It's one of my favorite books of the last ten years or so.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I loved the book, but then I have a degree in Victorian literature.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Yes it's very good. Don't hate just because there isn't a sword in it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bear Sleuth posted:

Yes it's very good. Don't hate just because there isn't a sword in it.

I believe there actually is at least one sword in the story.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Crashbee posted:

I loved the book, but then I have a degree in Victorian literature.

I loved the book and hated every 19th century novel I've ever tried. There is hope if you're like me and want to try JS&MN.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

mirthdefect posted:

I massively enjoyed the book, but some people (as observed above) find it completely unreadable. While there's magic and magicians, it's often more a book about books and conversations about magic rather than magic itself, and it's about the particular flavor of "English Magic" that's part of the book's alternate history. The narrator has a rather dry sense of humor and is prone to extensive footnotes (often multi-page self-contained stories unto themselves). I found it all very enjoyable, but can understand it not being everyone's cup of tea.

I just finished the second episode of the (7 episode) TV series, and am enjoying that a bunch as well. It's much condensed, by necessity, but seems to be very true to the story in the book (though it's been a few years since I read it). I suspect it may appeal to people who found the book too slow-going.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 25, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm pretty sure this is a record for a SFF writer

Obvious caveat that the line of who is a SFF author and who is not is highly dodgy and doesn't even track for the same author in different countries (eg Rowling and Atwood aren't SFF, Butler's Kindred is SFF overseas but not in America, etc)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a record for a SFF writer

Obvious caveat that the line of who is a SFF author and who is not is highly dodgy and doesn't even track for the same author in different countries (eg Rowling and Atwood aren't SFF, Butler's Kindred is SFF overseas but not in America, etc)

Obvious SJW conspiracy!

Kidding aside, that's crazy and you're probably right on a single-contract basis - I would imagine there are several authors that, if you added up smaller contracts over the same time frame, probably surpass that.

On a different note, anyone else in here a collector? I recently bought this edition of Dune and would be interested in seeing what other people collect within the SF/F genres.

Here's all the art in that book.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Evidently Scalzi's new $3.5M, 13 book deal with TOR includes new 'Old Man's War' books as well as a 'Lock In' sequel.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Great deal for him although I feel like that could put undue pressure on him to just pump out tripe unless it includes quality tests or minimum sales levels or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I feel like that could put undue pressure on him to just pump out tripe

wait that hasn't happened yet!?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Obvious SJW conspiracy!

Kidding aside, that's crazy and you're probably right on a single-contract basis - I would imagine there are several authors that, if you added up smaller contracts over the same time frame, probably surpass that.

On a different note, anyone else in here a collector? I recently bought this edition of Dune and would be interested in seeing what other people collect within the SF/F genres.

Here's all the art in that book.

Interesting, although most of the time I prefer to not see any "art of" books as it ruins the view I get from imagining the characters and/or settings. One of the reasons I'm not looking forward to the TV version of the Expanse series.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Obvious SJW conspiracy!

I don't know. That comes to a little over US$250,000 per book. There are probably several writers earning similar amounts, sure, but I bet they're still in the top 1% - celebrities, basically. And some of those would be one-offs, not a publisher expressing their confidence that Scalzi will still be selling like hot cakes in a decade's time. The biggest sf advance I can think of right now was Alastair Reynolds getting US$1 million for ten books, and this is much larger. Really it's the "five figures per month" backlist that's more remarkable.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Silver2195 posted:

I believe there actually is at least one sword in the story.

2? it's been a year since i last read it (listened to the audiobook, actually) but i thought both lascelles and the knight that guards the bridge in faerie that lascelles kills both had one. Also Lord Wellington probably has one even if nobody mentions it.

FWIW the audiobook narration is great, the narrator really has the dry humor down.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sanderson got a $2,5mil advance for the first four Way of Kings books.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

andrew smash posted:

FWIW the audiobook narration is great, the narrator really has the dry humor down.

Seconding this -- if you have trouble getting through the book, the audiobook is worth a try, really a fantastic (though long) listen. Granted, the first third of the book is probably drier than the rest, but it's necessary to set the stage for the rest of the book.

Also it can be pretty cool to see the book progress through Romantic literary genres from a comedy of manners to Gothic lit. If you're into that kind of thing, at least.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

House Louse posted:

I don't know. That comes to a little over US$250,000 per book. There are probably several writers earning similar amounts, sure, but I bet they're still in the top 1% - celebrities, basically. And some of those would be one-offs, not a publisher expressing their confidence that Scalzi will still be selling like hot cakes in a decade's time.

Aside from the previously-mentioned Sanderson deal, Jim Butcher got seven figures for the first three books in his steam punk series. Hell, Mark Lawrence got a mid- to high six figure deal for his next trilogy. So yeah, I think the length of the contract is the bigger deal here.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

XBenedict posted:

Evidently Scalzi's new $3.5M, 13 book deal with TOR includes new 'Old Man's War' books as well as a 'Lock In' sequel.
I hope he rewrites Lock In from the perspective of another character, three or four times.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ornamented Death posted:

Aside from the previously-mentioned Sanderson deal, Jim Butcher got seven figures for the first three books in his steam punk series. Hell, Mark Lawrence got a mid- to high six figure deal for his next trilogy. So yeah, I think the length of the contract is the bigger deal here.

The money is a really huge deal too.

Scalzi is important because his work crosses over from genre into mainstream sales. Old Man's War blew up because it had a clever hook and simple style that you could read without any background in SF.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm listening to Old Man's War as an audiobook. I read it in 2011 (I think) and this is my first revisit.

It was pretty drat enthralling during the "old man" part and all the way through training, etc. But now they're actually involved in the war and it's just so dull. The actually-interesting premise of the book is gotten out of the way by about 40% through and the rest of the book is just cut & paste mil-SF trash like a thousand other novels. It doesn't help that the writing is just so bad.

I also kind of hated Redshirts but jesus, Scalzi is such a great guy and I'm glad he's getting a good contract, I guess. I just don't know if I'll read another one of his novels myself. Maybe try to convince me that the rest of the OMW series is any good?

If you're curious, the narrator of the Old Man's War audiobook is excellent. He actually puts some life and emotion into the Scalzi-est of Scalzi dialogue. But you can hear the narrator grimace every time he has to slip another "he said" in after each line.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

I listened to Redshirts and between Scalzi's trash-can prose and Wil Wheaton's amateur narration it was the most unpleasant audio experience I've encountered.

But then it won the Hugo so what do I know.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You win the Hugo by being popular among Hugo voters. SF/F fandom is tiny so social effects are really big.

I hope I win a Hugo still :allears:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Poor at writing, really good at social media" is probably the most apt description of Scalzi I've seen.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I'm listening to Old Man's War as an audiobook. I read it in 2011 (I think) and this is my first revisit.

It was pretty drat enthralling during the "old man" part and all the way through training, etc. But now they're actually involved in the war and it's just so dull. The actually-interesting premise of the book is gotten out of the way by about 40% through and the rest of the book is just cut & paste mil-SF trash like a thousand other novels. It doesn't help that the writing is just so bad.

Some guy online said that big problem with Old Man's War is that it had an awesome half and an okay half... in that order.

Ornamented Death posted:

I'd say Sanderson and Butcher are in the 1% there, although I'm surprised to hear about Mark Lawrence! I was also thinking of Peter F. Hamilton and R. A . Salvatore. The average novel advance is about $10-20,000, afaik.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Bear Sleuth posted:

One of the heroic achievements of the Puppies is that 'the Hugo is too literary' somehow wasn't the silliest claim they made about SF.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Bear Sleuth posted:

I listened to Redshirts and between Scalzi's trash-can prose and Wil Wheaton's amateur narration it was the most unpleasant audio experience I've encountered.

Yeah what the hell was up with Wheaton and that Audiobook. He made no attempt whatever to differentiate between characters. Which I had previously assumed, based upon every audiobook fiction i've ever listened to previous to that, was a basic requirement of a narrator.

Especially in a book with a lot of snappy back and forth dialogue between multiple characters. But no. Man, woman or Alien. Young or old. Same slightly sarcastic Wil Wheaton voice.

It genuinely puzzled me. Can he just not do voices and got the gig because he's a pal of Scalzi. Did they tell him not to do it for some bizarre reason?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bear Sleuth posted:

I thought the biggest problem with Redshirts was that the explanation of the mystery was so much less interesting than the mystery itself. Everything from the reveal onwards was just profoundly disappointing.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I recently read Red Rising and was pretty disappointed. It felt like a bait and switch. After the nice and emotional opening the last three quarters of the book devolved in to Lord of the Flies in space. I enjoyed it but was bothered by the limited scope of the events. Is Golden Sun worth reading? Does the milieu grow to something that feels more significant?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When I told a pal about all that Hugo kerfuffle he didn't know about the awards, so I told him how the vote and he said "Oh it's the kid's choice awards but for genre books" and, well, I wish I came up with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well it's never lord of the flies school again. There's no third novel yet.

Fried Chicken posted:

A lot of stuff that sells well moves to the fiction rather than SFF section in stores, because more consumers wander through the aisles of the Fiction section than the SFF corner that's full of weirdos wearing cat ears and trench coats. It's really nothing to do with bad genre demarcation and everything with shelf space for authors that move units, or products which are recognizable due to media trends. I got a cop of Watchmen in the fiction section of a B&N when the movie was coming out..