Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

vyst posted:

Silver alerts are stolen cars :v:

No?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

Silver alerts are stolen cars :v:

No, they're definitely old people in fugues. Unplated silver Chevy Broncos are just stolen all the time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

No, they're definitely old people in fugues. Unplated silver Chevy Broncos are just stolen all the time.

This is triggering me so hard.

On a completely different note, installing Motorola factory images is annoying as gently caress. You need a special flavor of fastboot, have to flash like ten separate components for some reason, and all of it with weird cryptic responses in the terminal. I've been spoiled by Nexus devices.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

That's because there's something about Chevrolets and specifically broncos that attracts bad drivers. If an insufficiently bad driver owns one, it will be stolen by a worse driver.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

That's because there's something about Chevrolets and specifically broncos that attracts bad drivers. If an insufficiently bad driver owns one, it will be stolen by a worse driver.

No, it's because a Bronco is a Ford.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

No, it's because a Bronco is a Ford.

Oh. Well they're still assholes. Being ford drivers doesn't help their case.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

On a completely different note, installing Motorola factory images is annoying as gently caress. You need a special flavor of fastboot, have to flash like ten separate components for some reason, and all of it with weird cryptic responses in the terminal. I've been spoiled by Nexus devices.

And this is why Android is the nerd OS, because only those of us who post in threads like this one know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

If memory serves you can feed it an XML file and it takes care of all the individual commands.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

If memory serves you can feed it an XML file and it takes care of all the individual commands.

I'm pretty sure you need RSD Lite for that. As that wasn't an option for me, I just opened the XML file in TextEdit and fastboot flashed the things it said in the order they were listed.

I certainly wouldn't deal with a GPE device again knowing what I know now, which is that not having readily available factory images is total bullshit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah after loving around with the Moto G I had for a bit, I didn't want to touch my X with a ten-foot pole.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FWIW, I thought Motorola's website had factory images and a link to their special snowflake fastboot, at least for the devices they have that support bootloader unlocks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

FWIW, I thought Motorola's website had factory images and a link to their special snowflake fastboot, at least for the devices they have that support bootloader unlocks.

They do but they're notoriously slow about posting them and instead of one image per device there's an image for every carrier variant for every device worldwide. Their snowflake fastboot is included with the images (now). I mean it's not impossible to do but coming from Nexuses I expected the GPE experience to be similar and found myself disappointed. I'm just glad to be done with it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="445743890"]
No?

Oh wow I'm wrong - learn something new every day. Wow that's even dumber.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Tmo WiFi calling owns. Okay that's my story bye.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Does that stupid poo poo still use minutes?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I don't care because I rarely use them and I'm often in areas where reception from all the big telcos is virtually nonexistent?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Rad dude but I was just askin' not hating on your telecommunication choice

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

nerve posted:

Does that stupid poo poo still use minutes?

Tmobile doesn't have any plans with limited sms or minutes

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Don Lapre posted:

Tmobile doesn't have any plans with limited sms or minutes

Just the nerd plan I guess. That's cool. $100 family plan is the best though :cool:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Hopefully someone can explain what is going on with my phone. I have a HTC M7 and recently it's been going crazy with my battery. I'll look at my phone and it'll say 30% left and then it turns off. I just tried taking a picture, the flash went off and my phone completely shutoff saying there was no charge left. Phone hosed? Or try factory reset, etc and hopefully it's some kind of software problem?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

calandryll posted:

Hopefully someone can explain what is going on with my phone. I have a HTC M7 and recently it's been going crazy with my battery. I'll look at my phone and it'll say 30% left and then it turns off. I just tried taking a picture, the flash went off and my phone completely shutoff saying there was no charge left. Phone hosed? Or try factory reset, etc and hopefully it's some kind of software problem?

It's an old phone with a sealed battery, so the battery shouldn't be expected to hold up well. My M7 will lose 20% of its battery per day even in airplane mode.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
This one is only about 8 months, it was a replacement phone. What I'm wondering is it was at 50% when I took the picture early and it just shutoff saying it was at 0% when I plugged it in to charge.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

calandryll posted:

This one is only about 8 months, it was a replacement phone. What I'm wondering is it was at 50% when I took the picture early and it just shutoff saying it was at 0% when I plugged it in to charge.

Manufacturer's warranty should last a year, and HTC has the 'oops' thing on top of that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Oops I bought an HTC phone can I have my money back?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I finally got around to buying an iOttie car mount. How can I keep the screen of my 2013 Moto X on while I'm driving?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

calandryll posted:

This happened to both my Brother's and my Girlfriend's M7. They were only able to fix it by getting it replaced. It is very likely a bad battery.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="445761718"]
It's an old phone with a sealed battery, so the battery shouldn't be expected to hold up well. My M7 will lose 20% of its battery per day even in airplane mode.

It may be a bad battery but battery degradation isn't THAT fast for normal batteries. I have an ancient old iPhone 3GS and it at least lasts a week idle in airplane mode.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Where do people get ringtones and alarm sounds these days? My LG G2 has a few okay ones, but I'd prefer less happy-go-lucky ones. Are they downloaded through the Music or Apps section on the Play store?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
YouTube/albums/game audio files primarily.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Where do people get ringtones and alarm sounds these days? My LG G2 has a few okay ones, but I'd prefer less happy-go-lucky ones. Are they downloaded through the Music or Apps section on the Play store?

Try Zedge

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

I finally got around to buying an iOttie car mount. How can I keep the screen of my 2013 Moto X on while I'm driving?

Why is that necessary?

I only need screen to stay on when navigating and Google Maps does that.

I mean, I'm sure you can probably Tasker something together when it comes down to it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 26, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Thermopyle posted:

Car Home Ultra should do most of your screen-on stuff.

Otherwise just set the screen to some long time out when you're driving (Tasker to automate?).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ruby idiot railed posted:

Why is that necessary?

I only need screen to stay on when navigating and Google Maps does that.

I mean, I'm sure you can probably Tasker something together when it comes down to it.

I'm not sure why it matters, but for one thing it'd be nice to know the name of the song that's playing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure why it matters, but for one thing it'd be nice to know the name of the song that's playing.

Given that the Moto X is an OLED screen, do you really want to risk burn in by having it always on every time you're in the car?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Thermopyle posted:

You could use screebl. It keeps the screen on when the phone isn't laying on a horizontal surface.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, the sound I've been using for email notifications for years (previously on a Nexus 4) seems to be cut off at the beginning on my 2nd gen Moto X. That is, it sounds like the first few dozen milliseconds are cut off, giving a very sharp start to the sound. It happens with both the file that came with the phone and the file copied from my N4. What's going on?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Thermopyle posted:

Do you connect to a bluetooth device in your car? If so you should be able to use something like Llama to set your screen timeout to "never" when connected to BT device X. Other wise I think Android has a built-in setting in dev options to keep the screen on when it's on AC power, so you could check that and then just plug the phone in.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

AVRCP?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Looks like Sony backpeddled and are relaunching the Z4 as the Z3+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Given that the Moto X is an OLED screen, do you really want to risk burn in by having it always on every time you're in the car?

I take lots of short trips,so I'm not worried about it.

My cars radio sucks. It scrolls "album - song" one time and then shows first 8 characters of the album for duration of song.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.