Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

...But once Game of Thrones starts sucking it begins to disprove GRRM's theorem of unrealistic murphy's law.

And then I won't be chained to his bullshit anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Eau de MacGowan posted:

a poison that only triggers when you get horny for sweet titties

This would be an instakill on me.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Super Ninja Fish posted:

These 2 statements don't necessarily contradict each other. Could be cause and effect. If it was rushed, then some things that should feel important aren't given proper time to make you care and feel the weight of it.

Jon becoming commander and Cersei setting up the Faith Militant should be gigantic events, but you don't even count them as something happening. Dany marrying that guy just leaves everyone watching the show feeling perplexed because it's time crushed.

Yeah, Jon became lord commander quite a couple weeks ago and is only now doing something other than brood about it. Cersei formed the faith militant and those dorks went and bumrushed some dudes, great. Thing is nobody in the show seems to care much at all that any of it has happened. All it's really done is inspire meandering lazy dialogue for the past couple of episodes.

About the only saving grace is Margaery sticking up for her brother and Cersei finally getting hers, but thats entirely thanks to their being great actresses.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Eau de MacGowan posted:

a poison that only triggers when you get horny for sweet titties

Sam must have used it against the white walkers

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Melisande has been de-throned as queen of the best tits in GoT

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone waiting for Pycelle's reaction to the Faith Militant?

Given the way Cersei has been treating him I am just waiting for his "undying devotion" to the Seven while ratting every single loving thing he can out.

Aphrodite posted:

Establish they poison their weapons for some future usage, drop some nudity.

Probably not in that order.

Pretty much, though people freaking out that the Dornish poison their weapons are kind of silly. If your empire had horribly lethal poisons that could be slapped on any blade to effectively kill their enemies even if they're scratched, wouldn't you be encouraging just about everyone in your military be versed in it?

That'd be like, a massive massive tide turner in medieval warfare. Hell I doubt this will be the reason, but I could buy that as why the Dornish didn't bend the knee. Nobody'd want to fight them.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 25, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm glad Knight of the Friendzone got to do some fighting scenes. Iain Glen is fantastic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If they can come up with 100 different slow-acting poisons, you'd think maybe they could also develop a fast-acting tranquilizer or something

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Atlas Moth posted:

am i alone in thinking this is the weakest season of GoT? it started out pretty good but it's just so slow and uninteresting compared to the previous seasons that it's hard to stay hyped

A Feast for Crows and Dance of Dragons are often regarded as the weakest books in the series, and are what S5 is based upon. I think it might be due to the fact that a lot of plotlines and characters meet their end by the end of Book 3- Tyrion kills Tywin, Joffrey dies, Oberyn & the Mountain fight, The Red Wedding occurs, Lady Stoneheart appears, etc - and then you kind of have to start over.

You have to take the time to develop new characters and plotlines to replace them, and that takes time. However, television is a different medium, so they're focusing on a lot of action/dramatic scenes which turn out to be uncharacteristic, stupid, or unbelievable because on some level the showrunners know they've got no clothes, and can't do this as well as GRRM.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's getting an incredibly positive reception. Most are saying it's the best episode of the season. I'd say it's that easily. Major things happened finally. There was a constant sense of dread and tension over the whole episode. I thought even the aftermath of the Sansa scene was handled about as well as possible. Even the Dorne scene wasn't boring because you thought Bronn might die. I was into every single scene. None of it was boring.

Tumblr spazzed out so now people are trying to hate watch to be cool

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

There is a pretty big show spoiler in there

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's gonna be pretty weird seeing the Daenerys storyline intersect somewhat with the Lannister one. Have they ever had a scene together?

Also could someone refresh me quickly on the status of the Ironborn? I completely forgot what's going on there and don't want to risk spoilers by Googling it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Duggler posted:

There is a pretty big show spoiler in there

They've said that's not happening in the show anyway.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Vegetable posted:

It's gonna be pretty weird seeing the Daenerys storyline intersect somewhat with the Lannister one. Have they ever had a scene together?
The only person that Daenerys has had a scene with that didn't originate in her own storyline is Barristan.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The ironborn had to go back home, their planet needed them

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yara went to attempt to rescue Theon, but was sent packing by Ramsay and the fact that Reek didn't want to go. Balon Greyjoy is still technically an usurper king but no-one really gives a gently caress about his handful of boats and the Boltons are handling the Ironborn incursions into the North with terrifying aplomb.

They expected to run up against a skeleton kingdom with the Starks down south fighting the Lannisters, and pillage away against a force of mostly old men and untrained peasants: now they're up against Ramsay the psycho and his sadist bannermen, and they don't fight as well on land as the Boltons do.

Basically the Ironborn got razzled.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Aphrodite posted:

Wow really?

Okay nevermind then I guess

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

Melisande has been de-throned as queen of the best tits in GoT

She can be the Bum Queen :black101:

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup

Pingiivi posted:

Well she wasn't cast because of her fighting skills.

Funny because apparently that scene was her audition scene

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/88807750.html

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dr. Pancakes posted:

She probably didnt even read for it just flashed her titties at the director and he was like: "Man we're gonna need that rack for a Bronn scene."

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I liked books 4 and 5, and I also like this season. It's been a lot of plot transition and bridge-building but I think we'll get some big payoff scenes in the last few episodes, as well as good setup for season 6, which I hope will be awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pissdude posted:

I liked books 4 and 5, and I also like this season. It's been a lot of plot transition and bridge-building but I think we'll get some big payoff scenes in the last few episodes, as well as good setup for season 6, which I hope will be awesome.

Yes but does it meet the critical "here's a list of plot points" test?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

zoux posted:

Yes but does it meet the critical "here's a list of plot points" test?

Sometimes I feel like people only consider a (non-redshirt) character death to be an acceptable plot point of "something happening". Before Blackwater in Season 2, and before the Red Wedding in Season 3, what exactly were the major events of "things happening" in those seasons through 7 episdoes? Renly was killed and Jaime lost a hand come to mind. Also Dany freed her slave army at one point, that was pretty cool. Those seasons also had low points that I would consider comparable to the low points of this season, such as Ramsey torturing Theon for like 4 episodes too many and Littlefinger's brothel monlogues basically coining the term "sexposition".

e: I would agree that this is the weakest season so far if one was to simply rank seasons, but I really don't think its that notably any different than Season 2 or 3 through 7 episodes. All the seasons have had good moments and silly/bad moments depending how much tolerance you have for stuff like sexposition. I don't enjoy Dany's meandering through Mereen, but its not like her meandering through Qarth was so much better. This season has brought out the most interesting Stannis stuff since Blackwater, Jonathan Pyrce, cock merchants etc. Even last season had its very own rape controversy and lowpoints such as the Yara "rescues" attempt against shirtless Ramsey and his dogs. I just don't think there's been that much of a difference in quality overall. At least not to the degree some people are acting, and I wonder if that is because I didn't think the older seasons were constant perfection or what.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 25, 2015

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I fell asleep during this episode. There better be some fighting in Winterfell next episode damnit.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Man you guys would loving hate Mad Men.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't think that Cersei is going to turn over on her kids, but it'd be funny if she did confess. That'd leave Stannis to be the only person in Westeros with a claim, and instead of taking Winterfell he just walks right past it and sits on the throne at King's Landing without a fight.(After he's already burned his daughter to death to secure victory at Winterfell for a battle that never ends up taking place.)

That would be such a nut-kick that I almost want it to happen just to read the reactions.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Man you guys would loving hate Mad Men.

Why yes, I do.

It looks nice though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I thought this episode was great personally.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The tits were good, as were the parts that blasted by the books.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Dr. Pancakes posted:

You mean she was chosen based on how her breasts look?! :psypop:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think this season as a whole was decent personally.

Which is a step down from the previous seasons which ranged from "fantastic" to just "great" but still.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Kelly posted:

What was the point of that Sam and Gilly scene? Two characters no one gives a poo poo about getting it on in their own gross way. All I could think about during that scene was how long it had been since either of them bathed.

It was to show that when put in a situation where they have power, the women of Game of Thrones are just as capable of rape as the male characters. Sam had the poo poo kicked out of him and had multiple blows to the head to the point where he lost consciousness while standing. He was clearly concussed and therefore unable to give consent. Gilly used his helplessness and had her sick way with him. It's obvious commentary on how society has moved from overt & violent rape to date rape & the empowerment of women. There's precedent for this with Cersei & Lancel, which is called back later in the same episode.

Expect hundreds of blog posts and angry tweets about this as the week progresses.

I don't actually believe this, but it'd be hilarious if #SamDidn'tGiveConsent or #GillyRapedSam became a thing

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

JT Jag posted:

I think this season as a whole was decent personally.

Which is a step down from the previous seasons which ranged from "fantastic" to just "great" but still.

Even if everything was top-notch, there was no chance S5 was going to beat S4's series of climaxes.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Kelly posted:

What was the point of that Sam and Gilly scene? Two characters no one gives a poo poo about getting it on in their own gross way. All I could think about during that scene was how long it had been since either of them bathed.

Haha me too. I was like "sex in the middle ages, eugh". Then I remembered someone telling me that "smelling bad" was popularized by firms selling deodorant.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

when did they say that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

midnightclimax posted:

Haha me too. I was like "sex in the middle ages, eugh". Then I remembered someone telling me that "smelling bad" was popularized by firms selling deodorant.

Er, are you saying that smelling bad due to not bathing is a marketing invention?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

zoux posted:

Er, are you saying that smelling bad due to not bathing is a marketing invention?

No, worrying about smelling bad as a marketing invention. Don't make me fact check it, a university lecturer dropped it once.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TommyGun85 posted:

when did they say that?

http://screenrant.com/game-of-thrones-season-5-lady-stoneheart/

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Enormous loving book spoilers there. Do not click. Take it to the other thread if you have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lycus posted:

Even if everything was top-notch, there was no chance S5 was going to beat S4's series of climaxes.
I think it could have been better in places, but yeah the source material isn't that great.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Enormous loving book spoilers there. Do not click. Take it to the other thread if you have to.
Go right ahead and click, TV-only people, because it's not happening in the show.

• Locked thread