Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

An excellent idea. Just remove candles and ignitible poo poo all together. It serves absolutely no purpose other than the "heh cool" factor you get the first time you do it.

A question about my character skills since I haven't played the first game. When looking at the four corners, I want to put a mutagen in each section, then match up skill colors to that mutagen, correct? For instance, for my signs I want a blue mutagen, then pick three great signs to use so they get bolstered by the mutagen? If I do that, do my other skills not placed in one of the three blocks still have their bonuses count?

As I understand it, the mutagens don't boost the linked abilities. However, linking mutagens with same-color abilities improves the mutagen bonus. For example, I have a Greater Blue Mutagen (+10% Sign Intensity) and for every Sign ability I link to it I get another bonus 10% Sign Intensity, the mutagen granting a total of +40% for the three same-color linked abilities.

Matching colors gives you better Mutagen bonus, not bonus to abilities specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Horribly annoying poo poo to fix:

Controls handling like a 2 wheeled shopping cart

Geralt and his osteoarthiritic knees. I'm so tired of tumbling down a small hill and landing on my neck and losing half my health.

lovely fight controls. More often than not Geralt seems to attack whatever he wants, not what I want.

FuSchnick posted:

Remove all the goddamned candles placed within 2 inches of everything you want to interact with, ever.

Sort Potions>Oils>Bombs>Food>Books>Notes> Contracts.

Better yet, give Potions their own tab. Oils, Bombs, Food go in another and all paper poo poo gets its own.

Seriously, gently caress whoever designed the inventory and its lovely sorting system.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Are there any mutagens that boost the general skills? I put a point into Griffin School armor and put it in a quadrant, but have no mutagen to go with it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Are there any mutagens that boost the general skills? I put a point into Griffin School armor and put it in a quadrant, but have no mutagen to go with it.

Haven't seen any which is kind of a bummer. Feels like the general skills get obsoleted fairly quickly.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

A question about my character skills since I haven't played the first game. When looking at the four corners, I want to put a mutagen in each section, then match up skill colors to that mutagen, correct? For instance, for my signs I want a blue mutagen, then pick three great signs to use so they get bolstered by the mutagen? If I do that, do my other skills not placed in one of the three blocks still have their bonuses count? Can I not combine lesser symbols into greater ones? Right now I have 6 lesser symbols of Ignii and it's dumb to have that many.

So each colour mutagen gives a stat boost - sign intensity (blue), vitality (green), attack power (red). Each skill of that same colour you add to that branch acts as a multiplier to that mutagens effect.

So a blue mutagen gives 10% sign intensity, adding 1 blue skill to it makes it 20%, 2 skills 30%, 3 skills 40% (percentages might vary, just off the top of my head).

Lesser runes and glyphs can be combined 3:1 into greater versions using recipes bought from rare merchants.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Haven't seen any which is kind of a bummer. Feels like the general skills get obsoleted fairly quickly.

I dunno; the armor skills seem pretty goddamn amazing.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Are alchemy or magic worth investing in?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Crooked Warden posted:

I dunno; the armor skills seem pretty goddamn amazing.

Well I'm running around with the full Griffin set and Griffin armor skill which gives +20% Sign Intensity and +20% stamina regen, which is nice. However, I could slot an ability there and not lose much because I could get +10% Intensity for matching mutagen colors and each rank in a Sign ability also gives stamina regen. It doesn't scale so it becomes a lot less appealing eventually.

RC Cola posted:

Are alchemy or magic worth investing in?

Everything is cool and good go with whatever you think sounds fun and you enjoy.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Pellisworth posted:

Well I'm running around with the full Griffin set and Griffin armor skill which gives +20% Sign Intensity and +20% stamina regen, which is nice. However, I could slot an ability there and not lose much because I could get +10% Intensity for matching mutagen colors and each rank in a Sign ability also gives stamina regen. It doesn't scale so it becomes a lot less appealing eventually.

Everything is cool and good go with whatever you think sounds fun and you enjoy.

Well I say everything is dumb and gay :colbert:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

:catdrugs:

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

I guess the huge crit damage bonus from light armor mastery somewhat colors my opinion. I like big numbers.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I guess the huge crit damage bonus from light armor mastery somewhat colors my opinion. I like big numbers.

This doesn't feel like it works for me wearing full light armor with this skill and the second tier one for fast attacks my regular hits do 100ish while my crits do like 150ish.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
After getting back together with Dandelion, Zoltan gives a quest line where the gwent matches are completely optional (afaik; I opted for one match where dialog options suggested I didn't need to) which gives you a hero card and maybe some others, I wasn't paying much attention. So that might help if you're struggling.

Also I put off Dandelion because Triss seemed more urgent - don't do that. I think I'm locked out of some things now. Probably minor, I already freed one artifact-compressed noble and thought that was the end of it, but just found another and Triss is already gone.

Something for next playthrough!

e: oh god Dandelion no your ideas are so horrible just let me give you money :doh:

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 25, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yeah I can only really speak for the Griffin/Sign setup as that's all I've used maybe the others are better.

But compare

Griffin armor skill = 20% Sign Intensity and 20% stamina regen with a full set of medium armor

Any Sign ability = 10% Sign Intensity with a linked mutagen and +0.5 stamina per second for each rank in the ability

It was really good early on when I didn't have many ability points but now I'd rather have the extra ability, the tradeoff is small.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

"You smell wonderful."
"Geralt, we're at a funeral!"
"You smell wonderful at this funeral."

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Just a quick note to keep others from wasting time--even with the key binding change, changing stuff to/from the mouse still seems to be a no-go. My L-mouse button just stopped doing anything when I removed fast attack from it and replaced it with something else.

Still an improvement. :)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This is the best game I've played in I don't even know how long. Maybe the best ever. Unfortunately, it is so good I see it making other games harder to enjoy :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, there needs to be way more tabs for poo poo. Half the time I don't really know if I should be deconstructing something or not.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I'm 25 hours in and I only just found out I've been doing Places of Power wrong the whole time (not holding A long enough basically). Wondered why they didn't seem to do anything. So yeah I've missed out on having a shitload of buffs and more importantly skill points argh kill me :smith:

Hope I can go back and find them all again...

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008

PureRok posted:

I read some people post on another forum that they use oils during combat. How do you do this? Whenever I try to refresh oils in combat it tells me I can't do that in combat.

Drag the oil directly on the sword instead of right clicking. This is probably a bug I think.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

word of advice if you hate fighting wraiths due to Yrden being small use moondust bombs sure you only get two but it is helpful!

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

word of advice if you hate fighting wraiths due to Yrden being small use moondust bombs sure you only get two but it is helpful!

A moon dust bomb was the difference between hideous repeated defeats and glorious success with 'Jenny from da Woods'

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

GreatGreen posted:

I can't wait for the Redkit to come out for this game.

Witcher 3 seems like one of those games where it's 95% total masterpiece and 5% horribly annoying poo poo that would almost ruin any other game of any lesser quality overall but only manage to drag your overall impression of this game down a bit instead.

Luckily though, the bugs are really pretty superficial in nature and any half way decent mod kit should be able to take care of them pretty quickly.

The modding world loves open world games so hopefully the modding kit is robust and the community gets to work right away. So many simple improvements to this game would go a looooong way

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
What am I missing in this cave, it's my understanding that completely looted places turn gray on the map, right? I did the monster contract that this cave involves but it's still white and theres some side room too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What am I missing in this cave, it's my understanding that completely looted places turn gray on the map, right? I did the monster contract that this cave involves but it's still white and theres some side room too.

"Entrances" are different.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

david... posted:

A moon dust bomb was the difference between hideous repeated defeats and glorious success with 'Jenny from da Woods'

Jenny 'o the Woods, my friend.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Psiharis posted:

After getting back together with Dandelion, Zoltan gives a quest line where the gwent matches are completely optional (afaik; I opted for one match where dialog options suggested I didn't need to) which gives you a hero card and maybe some others, I wasn't paying much attention. So that might help if you're struggling.

Also I put off Dandelion because Triss seemed more urgent - don't do that. I think I'm locked out of some things now. Probably minor, I already freed one artifact-compressed noble and thought that was the end of it, but just found another and Triss is already gone.

Something for next playthrough!

e: oh god Dandelion no your ideas are so horrible just let me give you money :doh:

If Triss has departed, Yen can still help you with magic-related stuff once you meet her in Skellige.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Just bought this, super excited. Anyway, what is the best thing to put points into off the bat? Someone mentioned something about sun and moon earlier?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Just bought this, super excited. Anyway, what is the best thing to put points into off the bat? Someone mentioned something about sun and moon earlier?

If you are playing on the top two difficulties (Death March or Blood and Bones or w/e) your health does not regenerate from meditating, so I'd recommend getting the Sun and Stars ability for one point because it grants health regen during daylight which is when you'll be riding around doing stuff most of the time. Otherwise you're stuck with potions and food and that can get expensive and a little annoying early on. If you're playing on Normal or lower difficulty, skip it.

All of the trees are great, I would pick one and focus on it. You can respec an unlimited number of times for 1000 gold later on, so experiment.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I loved the first two games but was never a fan of the combat. This one finally gets it right while still forcing you to really use all of your skills effectively. Either I missed it in the other games, or monster weaknesses just weren't as big of a thing. But in this one, I found wraiths being nigh-invincible unless in the Yrden area of effect a really nice touch. There's an actual reason a Witcher is needed to kill wraiths.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Jenny 'o the Woods, my friend.

I was right the first time...

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Madcosby posted:

The modding world loves open world games so hopefully the modding kit is robust and the community gets to work right away. So many simple improvements to this game would go a looooong way

The mods will all be tiny variations on "More Realistic Peasants (by which we mean they all have colgate white teeth and d-cups)", "Slut Makeup Yennifer", "Realistic Drowner Penis (now sways in the wind!)", and some romance mod for the griffon.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Btw, the new patch resets your textures, so don't forget to go back in and bump it up if you had it set above low.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

megalodong posted:

The mods will all be tiny variations on "More Realistic Peasants (by which we mean they all have colgate white teeth and d-cups)", "Slut Makeup Yennifer", "Realistic Drowner Penis (now sways in the wind!)", and some romance mod for the griffon.

Also more mods than you can handle that makes nights so dark you can't see anything.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Is the stun magic sign as OP as I think it is? All human fights are basically trivialized with it. I started on hard because I want a challenge but basically nothing can touch me. Do later enemies resist it or do I basically need to honour-bound myself to not use it anymore.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Kaer Morhen spoiler question: If you don't gather enough allies, does bad poo poo happen? I got everyone, and only Vesemir died obviously. Do Eskel and Lambert also die if you don't bring Keira/Zoltan/etc?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Igni is too powerful. High-tier enemies should not be stunable, or the burn should be limited in its effect. As it is, I can chain stun and kill anything that is burnable with zero effort since the alt Igni cooldown is shorter then the length of the burn CC.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

david... posted:

Also more mods than you can handle that makes nights so dark you can't see anything.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a mod that make nights a bit darker. I'm already using that sweetfx that was posted earlier in this thread that helps a little bit, but it's still super bright to me at nighttime.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a mod that make nights a bit darker. I'm already using that sweetfx that was posted earlier in this thread that helps a little bit, but it's still super bright to me at nighttime.

You're part of the problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

Playing a dude with freaking cat eyes.