Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Schwartzcough posted:

Wow, this would be very cool. Dealing with all the Beastmaster possibilities might be a bit of a pain, though- especially with the weird collection of monsters that can show up in odd areas of the Rift (I know at the very least that Mammons, the trees that cast berserk, show up on the roof of the dimensional castle where you fight Twin Tania. Very helpful for berserking Shinryu).

The Algorithms guide is handy for this. It's a bit tedious, but I can just search every ability to see what all an enemy can use when caught.

I think the big issue is figuring out the best way to format all the Beastmaster stuff. Sounds like another potential project will be to do a Beastmaster guide with all abilities in alphabetical order. Fortunately thread favorite Dragondarch already has a list compiled of every catch ability.

Oh yeah and because I have the day off and nothing better to do I just added Toad as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just list relevant stuff like bearaga, breath wing/blaze/lightning, and instant death moves.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
I went to check that out and noticed on your boss guide that you list every status that a boss is vulnerable to. Thanks for that! Most seem to only list immunities which can be a pain to cross-reference with your abilities to see what will actually work.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sworder posted:

I went to check that out and noticed on your boss guide that you list every status that a boss is vulnerable to. Thanks for that! Most seem to only list immunities which can be a pain to cross-reference with your abilities to see what will actually work.

That's the reason I made the boss guide in the first place, actually! I couldn't find a single guide that had status vulnerabilities, so I ripped the immunities from all the bosses from the algorithms guide and from there compiled a list with status vulnerabilties and a few other key stats.

From there, I figured no reason not to put it on my page and maybe flesh it out a bit and there it is. At this point I'm trying to create a comprehensive list of resources that aren't easily available elsewhere, thus the status guide.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So I notice you list Big Bridge Gilgamesh as vulnerable to Silence. I think that is only true in the original release? Maybe the PSX version? At any rate, I know his vulnerability to silence shows up in some versions but not others.

Edit: Ok, it looks like you can still cast "Mute" in that battle to affect everyone. He was vulnerable to silence in the Famicom version (and presumably a ROM, but not sure on the PSX version). I don't think he's vulnerable to silence in the Advance version, or probably in the iOS version.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 25, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

So I notice you list Big Bridge Gilgamesh as vulnerable to Silence. I think that is only true in the original release? Maybe the PSX version? At any rate, I know his vulnerability to silence shows up in some versions but not others.

Edit: Ok, it looks like you can still cast "Mute" in that battle to affect everyone. He was vulnerable to silence in the Famicom version (and presumably a ROM, but not sure on the PSX version). I don't think he's vulnerable to silence in the Advance version, or probably in the iOS version.

In later versions he's only vulnerable to time magic mute and not silence status.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Think I heard that about that before. I got all my stuff from the Algorithms guide, which is based on the Super Famicom version, so that's why it's different.

I'll be sure to make note of that in the guide.

Also I changed some stuff around on the site in case any links I posted here suddenly break.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dis astranagant posted:

Just list relevant stuff like bearaga, breath wing/blaze/lightning, and instant death moves.

Speaking of, what are your options for Bear/Beara/Bearaga? I know it's Sand Bears in world 1, but I'm not sure what else uses the equation the game classifies as 'Strong !Fight' in the code.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Speaking of, what are your options for Bear/Beara/Bearaga? I know it's Sand Bears in world 1, but I'm not sure what else uses the equation the game classifies as 'Strong !Fight' in the code.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As1XoaEFimODdEdpbXVYVFNuaUQ0TEZnRlliajZtMFE#gid=3

I think the !Catch tab lists all the monsters, and which ones get "Strong Attack". But I guess different monsters have different attack stats that get used in the calculations?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

Land Turtles or Ironbacks (Ironbacks are better but rarer) are your bet for world 2, and world 3 you graduate out of Strong Fight monsters and into %HP monsters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Streaming some World 2 of FF5.

e: Forgot the link. http://www.twitch.tv/mega64_

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Yay, Fiesta time! It's been just long enough that I'm not burned out on FFV anymore! I learned some things from last year's fiesta that will make this year's more fun:
1) I'm done with Berserker Risk.
2) Natural is no-fun mode.
3) Don't do tablet quests or side quests in World 3 if I don't have to or am not having fun with them.

I really hope the Chaos mode is what everyone thinks it is, I'm looking forward to the inevitable awful parties which inexplicably succeed.

Speaking of awful, when reliving the DD run hilarity please don't forget one of my favorite parts: him finding out about the Hermes Sandals in The Rift after grinding the gil cave.

Also speaking of awful...

Mega64 posted:

e2: And Mini since there's little to that one (though doing the Blue Magic part of it was still time-consuming).

:iamafag:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Captain Vittles posted:

Emptyquoting this every day until the Fiesta.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Captain Vittles posted:

1) I'm done with Berserker Risk.
3) Don't do tablet quests or side quests in World 3 if I don't have to or am not having fun with them.

I agree with you on all three points, although I'm doing Berserker Risk because I haven't yet, and since I spawned the whole Berserker Tree thing, I might as well do a Berserker Risk run since I actually completed the drat game last year.

Just gently caress Natural. It takes away ALL of the fun of the Fiesta, which is all about mixing and matching to find the most of what little you still have.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I've done Berserker Risk for the past three years. Honestly I kinda just want to try one of the other water crystal jobs for a change. I think I'd like berserker risk better if it wasn't guaranteed to overwrite your water job, and could overwrite fire or earth jobs as well.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Doing Berserker risk #chaos mode, assuming thats allowed, all day everyday. If you wanna chop down a tree, you're gonna need an axe.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ZiegeDame posted:

I've done Berserker Risk for the past three years. Honestly I kinda just want to try one of the other water crystal jobs for a change. I think I'd like berserker risk better if it wasn't guaranteed to overwrite your water job, and could overwrite fire or earth jobs as well.

try doing more than one run

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Tossing my hat in as one of those who tried this years ago, hit a wall 3/4th in, and am giving this a shot again. Going to try with Can Of Worms' patch and #chaos.

I never played FFV when it finally came out stateside (I think for the PSX?) and I vaguely remember bits & pieces of it. I'm sure I'll do just fine.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

alcharagia posted:

try doing more than one run

I have, but the berserkers just never stop. And eventually I burn out after starting my third run of the week.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
So, are the patches going to be considered valid runs? Even the one with all the berserker and geomancer buffs and everything?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

LaserShark posted:

So, are the patches going to be considered valid runs? Even the one with all the berserker and geomancer buffs and everything?

Revenant Kioku has nooooo ideaaaa :getin:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Unless they increase the cost per berserker this year then we have the very real possibility of a lot of people getting three each. I really don't want to do a three berserker team, even if it is still doable.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

LaserShark posted:

I think patches that have mechanical changes (usually rebalances to make certain classes suck less) would not be considered in the spirit of the fiesta, no. On the other hand, it's a charity event people do for fun, so no one is going to stop you.

Jibo posted:

Unless they increase the cost per berserker this year then we have the very real possibility of a lot of people getting three each. I really don't want to do a three berserker team, even if it is still doable.

Why do you say it's more likely we'll be swamped with berserkers this year over previous years?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

LaserShark posted:

My first fiesta win was on a ROM translated into spanish for extra authenticity with a complete turd of a team, and I say balance/fun patches are totally in the spirit of this wonderful and stupid event seeing as nothing is at stake anyway

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Schwartzcough posted:

I think patches that have mechanical changes (usually rebalances to make certain classes suck less) would not be considered in the spirit of the fiesta, no. On the other hand, it's a charity event people do for fun, so no one is going to stop you.
I hope gilgabot gets swamped with lots of ~*~fiesta~*~ victory shots this year.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Jibo posted:

Triple berserker teams are rad, though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Uh is Can of Worms Balance patch valid for the run?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Golden Goat posted:

Uh is Can of Worms Balance patch valid for the run?

i heard if you don't play a famicom cart of ff5 in japanese than gilgabot comes to your house and turns you into an irl berserker, then pits you against sand worm

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Minrad posted:

i heard if you don't play a famicom cart of ff5 in japanese than gilgabot comes to your house and turns you into an irl berserker, then pits you against sand worm

So it's basically like my run last year where I lost 3 hours fighting sandworm.

E: I ask about the patch because it makes a Berserker risk run look really fun. Just the thought of having three !Dancing berserkers or having !Rapidfire on all of them.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 26, 2015

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The last time I played this game, I played on a Snes Rom that had large amounts of the World 3 text replaced with "Fill in Later."

I'm pretty sure that's the only legit way to play.

Incidentally, say I have a 3DS, is there any way to do this on a handheld? It'd be a nice diversion for my trip to and from work.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Incidentally, say I have a 3DS, is there any way to do this on a handheld? It'd be a nice diversion for my trip to and from work.

Probably an R4 cart but I don't know how those work.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Schwartzcough posted:

Why do you say it's more likely we'll be swamped with berserkers this year over previous years?

I'm assuming the rate of growth is going to continue at least to some extent. Last year we already pushed into a few triple berserker teams so if people end up donating even more this year then then we'll have more.

I mean, last year we may have peaked but I'm doubtful that 11 grand is the upper end of where this event can get.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
So pre-reg starts on June 1...when should we expect to kick off? I want one of my pledges to be a certain amount donated for every goon that beats NED before I do, but if we start on like a Tuesday that could alter the amount of that pledge. :)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LaserShark posted:

Just do a Berserker SCC in vanilla as penance. Get past Sandworm and no one can question your mojo.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just do a Berserker SCC in vanilla as penance. Get past Sandworm and no one can question your mojo.

You only have to get to like lvl. 70 to pull it off without a 1,000,000,000 to 1 luck, what's the big deal?

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I'm doing a practice run and I got Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger, Dancer. I gotta say, while each class is very good individually, the team doesn't have much synergy. It won't get in the way of completing the game, but it's sort of disappointing when my best secondary options for pretty much everyone are !Blue and Equip Ribbon. !Rapidfire is probably good on my ranger only. Most of the team is pretty fast though, which is nice.

Chicken Knife for !Dance or for !Rapidfire?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is it better to use !blue on a mystic knight for the increased magic or would rapidfire work better with spellblade?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Colgate posted:

I'm doing a practice run and I got Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ranger, Dancer. I gotta say, while each class is very good individually, the team doesn't have much synergy. It won't get in the way of completing the game, but it's sort of disappointing when my best secondary options for pretty much everyone are !Blue and Equip Ribbon. !Rapidfire is probably good on my ranger only. Most of the team is pretty fast though, which is nice.

Chicken Knife for !Dance or for !Rapidfire?

Give rapid fire and the chicken knife to your mystic knight and watch everything die.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

Is it better to use !blue on a mystic knight for the increased magic or would rapidfire work better with spellblade?

If you can deal more than 2500 damage per hit of Rapidfire, then use that. If not then go Blue.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Rapidfire Spellblade Chicken Knife on the Mystic Knight, Equip Ribbons on everyone else.

Seriously, the Ribbon is the single best piece of armor in the game by a long shot.

Does !Blue count as magic for Omniscient?

• Locked thread