Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm in a mood for mysteries, Book Barn.

All I ask is that

A) Enough information is given such that the reader could solve it on their own

and B) Something other than the usual suggestions for the genre would be welcome. I don't mean that as a slight against stuff such as Agatha Christie and the like, of course. Just that I'd like to hear about stuff I haven't heard of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Srice posted:

I'm in a mood for mysteries, Book Barn.

All I ask is that

A) Enough information is given such that the reader could solve it on their own

and B) Something other than the usual suggestions for the genre would be welcome. I don't mean that as a slight against stuff such as Agatha Christie and the like, of course. Just that I'd like to hear about stuff I haven't heard of!

Have you tried R. Austin Freeman's Thorndyke mysteries? They're old enough now that they're generally forgotten, but they basically started the "howcatchem" genre -- you see the crime committed at the start, and then follow the detective catching them. Basically the first forensic detective novels. Also free on Kindle. Start with "The Red Thumb Mark."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Have you tried R. Austin Freeman's Thorndyke mysteries? They're old enough now that they're generally forgotten, but they basically started the "howcatchem" genre -- you see the crime committed at the start, and then follow the detective catching them. Basically the first forensic detective novels. Also free on Kindle. Start with "The Red Thumb Mark."

I have not and after looking them up it sounds like they're exactly the sort of thing I want. Cheers!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

I have not and after looking them up it sounds like they're exactly the sort of thing I want. Cheers!
My favorite contemporary crime writer is Fred Vargas. She writes what is basically police procedurals, but with amazingly quirky characters and often supernatural-seeming mysteries (that do, however, always have a real - if not rational - reasoning behind them). I'd suggest giving her a try. There's a vague continuity, start either with The Chalk Circle Man or The Three Evangelists.

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Can anyone please recommend some romance? I'm completely new to the genre. Just varied stuff that's all considered good, both by lots of people and I guess more niche stuff, too.

Basically, just something to stop me from grabbing five romance books at random from Amazon.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone able to recommend some books about people rejoying society? I've always enjoyed the stories of people being lost/stranded/imprisoned for a long period of time, then seeing the conflict as they try to re-adjust to society. Something like the movie "Cast Away", where he was lost for 5 years and comes back to realize that everyone has moved on. Can be fiction or non-fiction. Genre doesn't matter as long as its a good read.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Transistor Rhythm posted:

- Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality of Mankind stories

Cheers this looks good.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone able to recommend some books about people rejoying society? I've always enjoyed the stories of people being lost/stranded/imprisoned for a long period of time, then seeing the conflict as they try to re-adjust to society. Something like the movie "Cast Away", where he was lost for 5 years and comes back to realize that everyone has moved on. Can be fiction or non-fiction. Genre doesn't matter as long as its a good read.

The Forever War? But that's my answer for everything.

Meditation on war? Check.

Future with decaying world? Check.

Sweet space battles? Check.

Romance? Check (dat ending).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hughmoris posted:

Return from the Stars by Stanislaw Lem maybe. Not exactly upbeat though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

This is less about rejoining society than retreating further from it, but one of my favorite reads this year is this short gothic mystery/horror, We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. It's about the surviving members of a family tragedy dealing with ostracization from the lower class of a small town. The Golem and Jinni by Helene Wecker is another good one, about a clay golem brought to life and tries to emulate human behavior and live in society.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

fruit loop posted:

Can anyone please recommend some romance? I'm completely new to the genre. Just varied stuff that's all considered good, both by lots of people and I guess more niche stuff, too.

Basically, just something to stop me from grabbing five romance books at random from Amazon.

Try Will McIntosh's Love Minus Eighty, it's a very good & cool dystopian scifi novel about love, romance and future technology

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fruit loop posted:

I seem to keep recommending Tanith Lee in this thread, but The Silver Metal Lover is a pretty good love story.

(edited to add: A few minutes after making this post, I discovered that Tanith Lee has passed away. Sometimes coincidences suck.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 26, 2015

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Selachian posted:

(edited to add: A few minutes after making this post, I discovered that Tanith Lee has passed away. Sometimes coincidences suck.)

Bwah. :smith:

Um.

This thread prompted me to re-read Lonesome Dove, which is still a good read. Are the other books in the series (Streets of Laredo, Dead Man's Walk, Comanche Moon) worth reading?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Food Guy posted:

I'm looking for some good horror books to read. I tend to prefer horror stories that deal with a supernatural entity, but I am open to horror books that are a little more groudned. For a frame of reference, I have read pretty much every Stephen King book and have tried to read Koontz on several occasions but I just can't get through his books.

You'd probably dig most of what Tim Curran has written. Start with Dead Sea and/or Worm.

Also, in no particular order:

Worlds of Hurt by Brian Hodge
Southern Gods by John Hornor Jacobs
Skullbelly by Ronald Malfi
Sunblind by Michael McBride
The Dunfield Terror by William Meikle
Those Who Went Remain There Still by Cherie Priest
Enter, Night by Michael Rowe
Lights Out by Nate Southard

Ok I guess that was alphabetical order.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

toanoradian posted:

Since Halloween is about to start, I figure I should start reading up into this 'horror' genre I've heard so much about. I've ever only read Goosebumps. Can anyone recommend a good short horror book (or a collection of short stories) for a wuss?
Dark Harvest by Partridge is fun as hell, and reads like an early Stephen King story in all the good ways.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Dark Harvest by Partridge is fun as hell, and reads like an early Stephen King story in all the good ways.

That post is from almost three years ago. :psyduck:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Franchescanado posted:

Sometimes they come back.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And when they do for the Halloween in May, you know you're in trouble.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It was a solid recommendation, but odd nonetheless. Especially since there was a horror request on the same page.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

fruit loop posted:

Romance is not my favorite genre, but I've enjoyed the regency romances I've read by Georgette Heyer. I also liked 'Katherine' by Anya Seton. It's more of a historical romance, as the protagonists are real historical figures.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Just read "the masters of doom" and enjoyed it a lot, any recommendations on books similar to this?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Kea posted:

Just read "the masters of doom" and enjoyed it a lot, any recommendations on books similar to this?

Racing the Beam is really good if you're interested in the Atari 2600.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm re-watching Fincher's adaptation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and I'm interested in reading the book. How does the film actually compare with the source material? How is the book overall? And is the rest of the trilogy worth reading?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm re-watching Fincher's adaptation of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and I'm interested in reading the book. How does the film actually compare with the source material? How is the book overall? And is the rest of the trilogy worth reading?

Personally, I found the first one annoying but finishable; Salander was a reasonably interesting broken character but the way Larsson wrote her always felt creepy. The second and third books... I managed to finish the second, with much eye-rolling, but I gave up on the third twenty pages in.

In essence, if you like/can deal with the way that Larsson wrote the character, you'll probably be all right with the trilogy. Give the first one a try, and if you don't feel itchy afterwards, keep going.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Benny the Snake posted:

I liked the first one just fine. The second one was ok but I also gave up on the third. Basically, rent the original movies instead imo. (Disclaimer: I have seen the American version)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I loved the Original Girl With Dragon Tattoo movie. Didn't nearly as much enjoy the US adaptation movie.

Franchescanado posted:

poo poo, I thought I was in another thread. :laugh:

Still a fun quick read that works for summer since it heavily involves like, cornfields and stuff... ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 30, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't like crime mysteries, but I like characters figuring out circumstances. Like The Andromeda Strain, The Truman Show, or the scene in The Guns of the South where 19th-century people puzzle over captured items from time travelers. Can anyone recommend books in this vein?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Chamale posted:

I don't like crime mysteries, but I like characters figuring out circumstances. Like The Andromeda Strain, The Truman Show, or the scene in The Guns of the South where 19th-century people puzzle over captured items from time travelers. Can anyone recommend books in this vein?

Philip K Dick's Time Out of Joint

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Chamale posted:

I've got a real treat for you.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Third-Policeman-Flann-OBrien/dp/156478214X

Do everything in your power to go in blind.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Kea posted:

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hackers-Computer-Revolution-Anniversary-Edition/dp/1449388396

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Chamale posted:

Oh, and Jeff Vandermeer's recent "Southen Reach" trilogy. It's basically like "Lost" meets "House of Leaves" and is pretty killer.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some Gothic/romantic books? Think like Dracula or the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles?

Not as much looking for the modern "True Blood"-esque or teen vampire fiction, more the old school stuff.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Since you mentioned old-school a few cornerstones of Gothic novels are Walpole's Caste of Otranto, Radcliffe's The Italian, Lewis' The Nun. Lots of big castles and abducted women and so on and so on. All of them are a bit too victorian for my tastes but so was Dracula. If you've not read Shelly's Frankenstein you really should. I'm a big fan of The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified SInner which starts off dry,but the second half really takes off as the eponymous sinner is hounded by the devil.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Kvlt! posted:

What are some Gothic/romantic books? Think like Dracula or the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles?

Not as much looking for the modern "True Blood"-esque or teen vampire fiction, more the old school stuff.

Vathek by William Beckford

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
I have a real like for scifi that is 'fairly close to home' so to speak. As in something that is perhaps grounded in present time or near future, and using reasonable or already discovered principles. For example I liked The Martian for it's logical (although sometimes McGuyver-esque) 'it-could-be-now' approach. I really liked Spin recently because the scifi was almost second nature to the story of how the people reacted to it, and it used Von Neumann probes. I also quite liked The Stone Man because it had some abstract first contact, and had a present time approach to how it might be dealt with.

So I guess science fiction that is not very science fiction? I've done a terrible job of explaining this haven't I?

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Does anyone have any recommendations for novels set during the French Revolution? I'm happy with stuff set among the aristocracy or with the revolutionaries, or possibly both.

I've read Dumas and Dangerous Liaisons and am currently feeling a little intimidated by Les Miserables - which feels like the answer to my question, but the film and musical have put me off reading it.

On a different tack, any good books with con artist central characters - in the same vein as Lies of Locke Lamora or Moist Von Lipwig?

Thanks.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Doubtful Guest posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for novels set during the French Revolution? I'm happy with stuff set among the aristocracy or with the revolutionaries, or possibly both.

I mean, there's a Tale of Two Cities, but you probably know of that.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
We seek him here, we seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven? — Is he in hell?
That damned, elusive Pimpernel

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Doubtful Guest posted:

On a different tack, any good books with con artist central characters - in the same vein as Lies of Locke Lamora or Moist Von Lipwig?

Thanks.

The Stainless Steel Rat books are about the adventures of a "gentleman thief" in a sci-fi setting and are good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Doubtful Guest posted:

I've read Dumas and Dangerous Liaisons and am currently feeling a little intimidated by Les Miserables - which feels like the answer to my question, but the film and musical have put me off reading it.

Thanks.

It's worth noting that Les Miserables isn't set during the French Revolution (if you mean the 1789-99 one). Not that that helps with you being put off by the the film/musical of course but you could say that it not being about the time period in question is a good enough reason not to read it right now.

You might like A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel though, which is about Danton, Desmoulins and Robespierre.