Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Yeah, Art of War is the best one.

I find most of them add something useful; mechanic wise however like National Focus which is so useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I think El Dorado also has automatic exploration which makes it WAY less tedious.

I'm thinking of doing a Cherokee (or some other North American Native) game. Don't care about achievements but I definitely want to invade Europe. Is there enough interesting stuff to keep me busy until Europeans appear or is it a boring wait?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aeglus posted:

I think El Dorado also has automatic exploration which makes it WAY less tedious.

But it's tied to your colonial range so it's dumb as hell.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mans posted:

But it's attrition free so you don't have to worry about your explorers dying in the middle of the ocean. There's also nothing stopping you from using the old method.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

axeil posted:

But it's attrition free so you don't have to worry about your explorers dying in the middle of the ocean. There's also nothing stopping you from using the old method.

Yes, there is, they re-disabled manual exploration (for people with the DLC only, I assume) once they figured out how to set up missions in a manageable way

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Mans posted:

What's the issue with that?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Koramei posted:

obviously he likes to starve his explorers so they work better.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Mans posted:

I accept this since I'm old and don't care about minmaxing anymore. No-attrition exploring and I don't even have to care about it after pressing a button. Saves me a ton of time and makes playing a colonial nation decent instead of annoying.

If you loved breaking the game (and I still do in some ways) then yes it's a nerf.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Koramei posted:

It's not an issue strictly speaking for colonization, since you don't need to be able to explore outside of your range.

But when you want to do silly stuff like declare no cb wars on minors in Europe as Ryukyu in the 1400's so you can force them to make you a protectorate (how DDRJake avoided getting coalitions against him in his 3 mountains run) then it's a nerf.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

if i can't discover brasil and India 10 years into the start of the game then i don't know why Portugal should even exist :v:

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
Any advice on starting strategy with Yeren? Was wanting to play a game and form Manchu. Yeren seems the most interesting of the options as they are Shamanist which to my understanding will let me reform into the Muslim tech group.

Seems the general strategy is to try to quickly forcibly vassalize your neighbors. I have tried several games and have been unable to get close to this. If I try to wait for them to attack each other, I get DOW'd by one of my neighbors often followed by a 2nd DOW from the others. They always seem to target me first and have not seen them DOW each other yet. If I attack on day 0 (usually Haixi), I can make a little progress with war score about ~30 before another neighbor and their allies inevitably DOW's me and wipes out my stacks in Haixi. Should I just keep restarting hoping they will eventually attack each other, and I can jump in while Haixi or Jianzhou is weak?

I haven't played a game with a horde nation yet. Should I take out a lot of loans early to make a 7 or 8 cavalry stack? I start with 2 cav and 6 infantry with a force limit of 11.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You just need to puff out your chest super hard so that you look stronger than one of your neighbours, and then everyone will dogpile on them instead. But Yeren is pretty bonkers in general, even after a good start you just have to fight your way through the thunderdome.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, the Jurchens dogpile each other like absolute crazy; the reliability of it used to be great 'cause you could chain wars into vassalizations into more wars into more vassalizations and subdue the entire region in like 2 years. But with the vassal changes it sounds nightmarish.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

You just need to puff out your chest super hard so that you look stronger than one of your neighbours, and then everyone will dogpile on them instead. But Yeren is pretty bonkers in general, even after a good start you just have to fight your way through the thunderdome.

Thanks. Spammed some infantry and went over my forcelimit early and Haixi got jumped on instead.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy poo poo. I've been busy eating the Mamluks for the past 50 years so I haven't been paying attention to Europe, but uh, Hungary, Spain/Naples, France, and Austria are completely balkanized. Also, England kept Normandy in the HYW, then ate Brittany and got their cores back apparently later on. Super-Tunis is going to be a problem for my Reformed Merchant Republic Jerusalem.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
When I first saw that I assumed you were Tunis. I don't think i've ever seen a berber AI do so well.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Holy poo poo. I've been busy eating the Mamluks for the past 50 years so I haven't been paying attention to Europe, but uh, Hungary, Spain/Naples, France, and Austria are completely balkanized. Also, England kept Normandy in the HYW, then ate Brittany and got their cores back apparently later on. Super-Tunis is going to be a problem for my Reformed Merchant Republic Jerusalem.

:stare: and I thought the europe in my theodoro campaign looked weird.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Manchu guy (on phone and effort scrolling back up to quote): note that forming either Manchu or Qing (I forget which, but think the former) will automatically change your state religion to Confucian, so Yeren gets put in a tough spot with religious unity at some point down the line. And it's probably best not to convert all your provinces to save hassle converting them back later on down the line.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Just finished a Castile/Spain achievement run, turned out alright and unlocked a heap of achievements.

Isn't this the way to India?
No Pirates in my Caribbean
Master of India
This navy can take it all
At every continent
Market Control
Four For Trade
The Grand Armada
A Pile of Gold
Magellan's Voyage
Imperio espanol
Blockader

Was hoping to go for the Spain is the Emperor and controlling all of Japan - but a gigantic France blocked any inroads to Central Europe, and a misread of a peace deal with England in 1802 saw me release the 90% of Japan I had forcibly annexed.
Russia was obliterated in this run, and Austria never really got off the ground, so the game saw the Ottomans dominating relatively unchecked until they hit up against me in India. However being sandwiched between the Ottomans and a westernised, huge Ming meant that I lost large areas of India within 20 years of getting the achievement. But by that stage I was solely focussed on running down the clock and trying to build the 500 Heavies needed for the Grand Armada achievement.

Owning all of South America, The Caribbean and Mexico via colonies meant gold was never an issue, but my word inflation sure was.

Now deciding if I try to get another run in before the expansion drops.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

All will recognize the kingdom of god.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Paradox forums watch:

wiz posted:

Sevilla goes to Genoa now, the idea is to force Spain to care about Europe instead of just sitting in their peninsula.
I really like this change because genoa is one of the harder nodes to monopolize, whereas for sevilla all you need to do is beat up portugal and thats it. You don't even need to beat up all the berbers and eat that coring cost anymore because only a couple provinces in the north are in the sevilla node. I wonder how the rest of the trade flows now, genoa/english channel/venice as end nodes? I'm assuming bordeaux is not an end node anymore because I never used it and I can barely see a reason why you would.

e: Noticed this on the achievement list.

quote:

All Your Trade are Belong to Us! - Have highest tradepower in Genoa, Venice, & English Channel, while gaining 300 income per month.
I guess this pretty much confirms genoa, venice and english channel as end nodes. At least it would make sense to choose all end nodes for an achievement like that. I really like that setup because english channel/genoa are hard to dominate and venice might be easier to dominate but it's hard to actually get trade into it.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 25, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Anybody else on Mac having issues with eu4.app not working (and missing an icon) even after reinstalling/verifying files/etc?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Trip report as Iroquois: still sort of boring and mid 1500's, still no Europeans on North America. Even with the extra stuff for tribal nations it's not all that much fun. Central and South American nations must be god awful in comparison.

Sorced posted:

Paradox forums watch:

I really like this change because genoa is one of the harder nodes to monopolize, whereas for sevilla all you need to do is beat up portugal and thats it. You don't even need to beat up all the berbers and eat that coring cost anymore because only a couple provinces in the north are in the sevilla node. I wonder how the rest of the trade flows now, genoa/english channel/venice as end nodes? I'm assuming bordeaux is not an end node anymore because I never used it and I can barely see a reason why you would.

e: Noticed this on the achievement list.

I guess this pretty much confirms genoa, venice and english channel as end nodes. At least it would make sense to choose all end nodes for an achievement like that. I really like that setup because english channel/genoa are hard to dominate and venice might be easier to dominate but it's hard to actually get trade into it.

In the end I don't think it'll be much different. Even AI Spain typically has a ton of light ships in Sevilla. It'll take either some bad luck for Spain or a human player messing things up for Genoa to actually make a difference outside of early game (which is probably the point when comparing with Venice).

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

aeglus posted:

Trip report as Iroquois: still sort of boring and mid 1500's, still no Europeans on North America. Even with the extra stuff for tribal nations it's not all that much fun. Central and South American nations must be god awful in comparison.

Central and South america are crazy thunderdomes in which you play vassal-jenga to avoid becoming christian.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NewMars posted:

Central and South america are crazy thunderdomes in which you play vassal-jenga to avoid becoming christian.

Well, Central America is. South America is usually pretty easy, then you just colonize and fight rebel swarms every decade or so while you reform.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah was good fun having one of 4 groups of rebels on a drat colony every time.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is there a need to convert provinces to Muslim as the Ottomans if I already have humanistic ideas fully researched out?

Also, I am starting to get the feeling it is a giant waste of time to go into the Levant or toward Persia. It doesn't really seem the base taxes and potential manpower gained from those areas are worth it, or am I horribly wrong? I have already conquered Bosnia and part of Venice (and all of Bosnia). I could go after Hungary and knock on the door of Wien.

Last question, is it a good idea to maintain a Byzantine-Ottoman vassal in Greece? I am thinking with their national ideas, I could continue feeding them provinces in an area like Southern Italy and turn them into a march so they could help provide high quality troops in a future fight vs the Germans.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Enigma89 posted:

Also, I am starting to get the feeling it is a giant waste of time to go into the Levant or toward Persia. It doesn't really seem the base taxes and potential manpower gained from those areas are worth it, or am I horribly wrong?

You are the Ottoman Empire and the heir to Rome. There is nothing on Earth which is a waste of time to conquer.

Though you can probably get faster returns from turning Western Europe Muslim, yeah.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Is there a need to convert provinces to Muslim as the Ottomans if I already have humanistic ideas fully researched out?

Also, I am starting to get the feeling it is a giant waste of time to go into the Levant or toward Persia. It doesn't really seem the base taxes and potential manpower gained from those areas are worth it, or am I horribly wrong? I have already conquered Bosnia and part of Venice (and all of Bosnia). I could go after Hungary and knock on the door of Wien.

Last question, is it a good idea to maintain a Byzantine-Ottoman vassal in Greece? I am thinking with their national ideas, I could continue feeding them provinces in an area like Southern Italy and turn them into a march so they could help provide high quality troops in a future fight vs the Germans.

1) You'll always have slightly lower revolt risk from tolerance in true faith provinces vs heretic/heathen provinces. Other than that not really I wouldn't think.
2) Ottomans are big enough to do whatever. Levant is a pretty big power base overall (plus Jerusalem is nice for the extra missionary)
3) Combine your -coring cost with admin ideas and humanist and you have no problem a. taking & coring land directly, b. avoiding revolts. What's more, Byzantium gets 5% discipline from their 5th idea; you get 5% from the off. They won't be better than your own troops. I don't think it's necessary.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Allyn posted:

1) You'll always have slightly lower revolt risk from tolerance in true faith provinces vs heretic/heathen provinces. Other than that not really I wouldn't think.
2) Ottomans are big enough to do whatever. Levant is a pretty big power base overall (plus Jerusalem is nice for the extra missionary)
3) Combine your -coring cost with admin ideas and humanist and you have no problem a. taking & coring land directly, b. avoiding revolts. What's more, Byzantium gets 5% discipline from their 5th idea; you get 5% from the off. They won't be better than your own troops. I don't think it's necessary.

I'm just a bit worried that late game I won't have enough troops. It seems with the Ottomans that I stomp everyone but then towards the end of the game I get vassal spammed by all the German states + France + Austria and I can generally do okay but I get worn down over time. I was thinking of maybe building up some super vassals and assigning them march status so they could help bolster my numbers but maybe I should just take everything and do it on my own.

Either way, thanks for the tips. I will start heading south. I really like playing the Ottomans, especially online but not having any great Allies kinda sucks. Right now QQ, Tunis and Vassal Byzantines are my only allies and all of them are next to useless. I am trying to feed the Byzantines south of Italy so maybe they will be more useful. This is an online game and the other two players are Castille + France so I am getting worried when our borders start to get closer.

e:
What is the best military idea to go for with the Ottomans? I generally go quantity, but maybe quality instead this game if I expect to be fighting the Europeans a lot?

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 26, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

You can get European allies in the late game if that's what you're worried about.

The problem with marches right now is they have a maximum base tax, so by the time they get big enough to be worth the relationship slot they stop getting any of their bonuses. That's gonna change in Common Sense though.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Enigma89 posted:

The best part of not Europe for Ottomans is that the way the trade nodes works means that Hormuz, Aleppo, Persia, Basra, and Alexandria all feed into Constantinople if you put a trader in Alexandria. Constantinople is also basically a terminal node if you own all of Constantinople and Ragusa. Being able to do that makes Constantinople arguably the best trade node in game for a while. That's a lot of nodes but the beauty is you get mission-claims on a large chunk of it and most of the people in it are both weak and nobody gives a drat when you take their land. You take a dozen base tax from Naples and all of Europe is hopping mad. You take twice as much from the Timurids or Mamluks and the whole world is like :shrug: gently caress em.

EDIT: Oh yeah don't ally anyone outside of Europe. You should be too busy eating QQ to ally them and you should be telling Tunisia to eat it when they ask for alliances because North African allies suck. I don't ever ally anyone as Ottomans unless I want a powerful European ally to take on other powerful Europeans.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 26, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Quantity vs Offensive for sure, depending solely on whether you're having manpower issues. I generally lean offensive in general because general pips are just about the best possible thing, but you can make it work with either one.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Anyone have any idea how this new fortress system is going to work with single province islands? The way I understand it is forts have a zone of control that's all the provinces around them but if a province isn't in that zone it gets occupied immediately when an enemy steps foot. If my country is say just a bunch of pacific islands does that mean I could be nearly fully occupied in one day?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Trujillo posted:

Anyone have any idea how this new fortress system is going to work with single province islands? The way I understand it is forts have a zone of control that's all the provinces around them but if a province isn't in that zone it gets occupied immediately when an enemy steps foot. If my country is say just a bunch of pacific islands does that mean I could be nearly fully occupied in one day?

No, but taking over a fort grants you the surrounding territory when winning the war. It makes an area much harder to take over, but it also consolidates things, meaning that you'll lose more if the fort gets taken and lost.

I think.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Provinces with no forts nearby get occupied but only stay occupied with a regiment on it. So island warfare is still going to be somewhat tedious in that you are going to have to leave 1k men in each of them assuming theres no fort.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I presume the strategic choice is finding a balance between navy supporting improvements and just sticking forts everywhere that either lets you keep everybody off the islands by virtue of your fleet being your first line fort, or local forts that let you stall long enough for a war of attrition against the attacking fleet or marines if you don't expect to be able to rout the enemy fleet outright.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I kinda assume one-province islands and the like will probably get the same free fort that OPMs do, mostly because otherwise island warfare will be a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Provinces with no forts nearby get occupied but only stay occupied with a regiment on it. So island warfare is still going to be somewhat tedious in that you are going to have to leave 1k men in each of them assuming theres no fort.

They changed peace deals so you can demand provinces you don't actually have occupied though, and since pacific islands are nearly always economically worthless I don't think they'll cost much to demand. I can see it being extremely annoying very very occasionally (say, in a multiplayer game where someone decided to be Polynesia for whatever fuckoff reason, and they decided to increase development on all their islands) but usually not much of an issue.

Trujillo posted:

The zone of control is on the fort province its self too (I mean, I think? I don't see how else it would work) so you would have to actually siege the island you land on before you could occupy it.

• Locked thread