Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Geez, this game's cast is so tiny that it literally only has one named male character in it. One. (Sharl and robots, being genderless, don't count). And yet despite the barebones cast, they spend most of the dives on the non-playable characters.

EDIT: I didn't see the update. Will read soon.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why did Ion suddenly start calling Kanon "Miss" on the DLC part? Is it just this game's bad translation, with Ion calling her "Kanon-san" in the Japanese version or something to that extent?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Good old unreasonable zealots who think it's the other party that's being unreasonable.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why did Ion suddenly start calling Kanon "Miss" on the DLC part? Is it just this game's bad translation, with Ion calling her "Kanon-san" in the Japanese version or something to that extent?

Almost certainly a different person translating the DLC.

And I will say the Prime Minister does get a name eventually, just not yet.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its probably another translator that randomly decided that he has to translate Kanon-san with the honorifics.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
oh boy another 100% perfect Nature Race who is always harmonious with nature and their Fellow Nature Race People, and they are never wrong or ever doing anything at all which ever increases entropy because they're just so goddamn perfect

Stupid filthy worthless humans, it's all your fault for not being born perfect like us.

It's about friggin' time Ion figured out that she might need to pick a side.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Cosal, please put on some pants. For a Ken doll furry, you're... bulging a lot. :stonk:

Is it ever elaborated on what precisely binds Nelo and/or Ion into the EXA_PICO universe?
...Then again, if they were soul-napped, their original bodies might've, well, not fared well in the interim years.
Actually wait wasn't Nelo the core of REON? How can people still use Songs then?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lunar Suite posted:

Cosal, please put on some pants. For a Ken doll furry, you're... bulging a lot. :stonk:

Is it ever elaborated on what precisely binds Nelo and/or Ion into the EXA_PICO universe?
...Then again, if they were soul-napped, their original bodies might've, well, not fared well in the interim years.
Actually wait wasn't Nelo the core of REON? How can people still use Songs then?

People can always use songs in the EXA_PICO 'verse, it's just that they usually need amplifiers to boost their power to usable levels. In the Tonelico games, the song servers do that for linked reyvateils; here, REON served a similar function (Tenmon faction), but synching with a Genom (Chimon faction) worked as well. With both gone the way of Ra Ciela, most people can't use songs anymore; Sharl would work, but obvious problems there.
Cass and Sarly can still use powerful magic because they underwent a special procedure, Zill either did the same (she's the one that thought said procedure up) or is synching with Nelo, Ion is synching with Earthes I think, and Nay is an human soul in a Sharl body, so she can synch with herself.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

oh boy another 100% perfect Nature Race who is always harmonious with nature and their Fellow Nature Race People, and they are never wrong or ever doing anything at all which ever increases entropy because they're just so goddamn perfect

Stupid filthy worthless humans, it's all your fault for not being born perfect like us.
:jerkbag: describes Cosal perfectly, doesn't it?

quote:

She already did, though? She is rejecting the fake humanity/sharl dicotomy that Nelo, Zill and Cosal are trying to impose. Mind, she was absolutely lousy at communicating this until right now, but she understands that it's not the Sharls that need to be told at swordpoint to cut the crap, it's just those three. Yes, those assholes poisoned the well, but it's not an insormountable problem.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Lunar Suite posted:

Nothing actually binds them there, it just that the Ra Cielans only ever figured out a way to bring people to their dimension, but it only works one way and they never bothered to find a way to send them back again because why would they ever want to do that?
Time doesn't pass the same between the two dimensions, hence how we instantly timeskipped 2 years, or how we can pause or save and come back later.
Nelo was only needed to make Cielnotrons work. Older trons (such as G2 trons) would probably still work. Of course Cass and Sarly are incarnates, so they're technically part genom, and sharls can use song magic at will too for the same reason.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I will say at least he's obviously being an rear end in a top hat hypocrite, so it's not like the developers expect us to agree with him.

Lunar Suite posted:

I'm pretty sure their original bodies might not even exist anymore, so going back might be substantially more difficult than some bullshit bullshit now you're back just after you got grabbed like it was all a wizard of oz dream.

But yeah as noted time is different so it might be possible to fix things from the mechanical perspective of getting them back into their original bodies. Unfortunately the one who's really trying to do that is also going to find it rather difficult given the strong implication of a later thing that Nelo doesn't even remember what her actual body looks like anymore (and honestly you could suspect the same thing for Ion).

Next update is probably Tuesday (though the meeting I was supposed to have last week got moved so that might end up conflicting if it makes too much work for me), and it's going to definitely be two parts because the next Dive is long and also something pretty special.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 24, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What happened to you Coasl? You used to be cool.

I blame turning into a giant furry.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

She had already picked a side though, it was the side of "Everyone needs to shut the hell up before you all end up murdering each other to death."

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 25, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunar Suite posted:

Oh good, I wasn't the only one to notice that.

Also, I swear I've seen that...floating backpack thingie Cosal has before in mythology somewhere (Hindu, I want to say?).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hindu/Buddhist halo stuff. IIRC from highschool, Buddhism in India basically got absorbed by Hinduism while the offshoots in other areas did their own thing.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh good, I wasn't the only one to notice that.

Also, I swear I've seen that...floating backpack thingie Cosal has before in mythology somewhere (Hindu, I want to say?).

The circles on the edge of the disk kind of remind me of Raijin's drum-chain.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'm reminded of an ending song to one particular game, called CANOE. The song is a metaphorical story where children cut down trees to build a tower, and as they climb it, they see a larger place on the distant horizon... So they cut down more trees, constructing a great raft to sail there. In the end, to make the mast, they have to cut down the nurturing Mother Tree. They look back at the island as they sail away and see a ruined wasteland of stumps, an island entirely barren of trees, eroding away because there's nothing to hold the island together against the waves.

This is the point where most stories would say, "Look at that, isn't it sad? Humans are the real monsters!" CANOE says, "It's fine. All of this was so we could find hope and live on."

It's a pretty refreshing perspective on the idea of a living planet and incoming apocalypse.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

So that actually reminds me of something interesting in connection to that idea. EXEC_HIBERNATION is actually a song about that very sort of subject, it's about Raphlanca attempting to sow the seeds of life only for an ever-increasing swarm of birds to appear and devour them, eventually ruining everything. Then again, on Ar Ciel there's a reasonable argument for 'drat humans really hosed everything up' because they shattered the life of their planet and left it an unlivable waste with their hubris. It's a bit more murky with Ra Ciela because while you could argue that humanity had a role to play in Bezel getting hosed up and starting to expand, that it happened at all probably means it was coming in the near future regardless. So maybe they accelerated the doom of their planet, but it was one that was already coming. And then they came up with a plan that would have allowed everyone to escape including the Genom (except of course for the fact that Nelo spitefaced them).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought they said it was definitely Nelo (and much later Ion's) presence that was making the sun go crazy.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Sindai posted:

I thought they said it was definitely Nelo (and much later Ion's) presence that was making the sun go crazy.

Yeah, but a star's a pretty durable thing. They might have cut years off its lifespan with their dimensional fuckery at an accelerated pace but they'd almost certainly have had the same problem eventually even without.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Feinne posted:

Yeah, but a star's a pretty durable thing. They might have cut years off its lifespan with their dimensional fuckery at an accelerated pace but they'd almost certainly have had the same problem eventually even without.

Wouldn't they have had to have cut off billions of years of Bezels(the star Ra Ciela orbits) life span to turn it into a red giant? The transformation of a normal star into a red giant is a part of the stars life cycle the problem with bezel is that it happened way ahead of schedule because of Ion and Nelo. Although how much they damage they do to the universe is something that seems variable, since at one point they just mess up a star while at another they apparently cause the entire universe to start breaking down.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

megamariox posted:

Although how much they damage they do to the universe is something that seems variable, since at one point they just mess up a star while at another they apparently cause the entire universe to start breaking down.

So what you're saying is that Ion and Nelo are Cthulhu.

Wave science! :argh:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Nyanamoetep I think you mean.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Feinne posted:

Nyanamoetep I think you mean.
"Nyarlathotep" The spelling is a bit strange. (Like most other worldly entities.) Also I was thinking more Hastur, as you can summon him, but you can't summon his body only his spirit. His real body gets left behind. And him being summoned would definitely quicken the pace of humanity going extinct.

But Cthulhu would be the opposite of what Ion/Nelo are, as Cthulhu is the rightful ruler of Earth, as the High Priest to the Gods. Humans only exist due to the stars not being right for some thousands of years allowing humans to take over the Earth temporarily. But the stars are right way more than they are wrong. So humanity is basically on a timer as far as the Lovecraft mythos is concerned. Eventually all of human achievement will be destroyed, just like with the Elder Things. Elder Things still exist though and are pretty weird to see. They just don't have any of their civilization left and only exist in small clusters. They are normally carted around as some weird type of fish, from the very deep oceans. You should try checking them out if you haven't seen one.

Dagon worship is the best by the way, especially those Oaths of Dagon. It is also a good way to get money, the only problem is getting people to buy your gold with terrifying emblems on them. Which is why the Marshes melted the gold down first.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It was a pune, or play on words. I do know from Nyarlathoteps.

Anyway update probably tomorrow, and now that the video's processing and I've looked at the length I might just be able to get it into one update.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Opiomorphone posted:

Also I was thinking more Hastur

Now I'm imagining a crazy Scottish man summoning Nelo and/or Cosal into an ice rink filled to the brim with explosives.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
We already have anime Nyarlathotep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyaruko:_Crawling_with_Love

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

I can't decide...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

megamariox posted:

The transformation of a normal star into a red giant is a part of the stars life cycle the problem with bezel is that it happened way ahead of schedule because of Ion and Nelo.

And this is where Cosel gets a little sympathy from me at least. Dude has to see humans in a new light because they literally blew up the sun and destroyed the world.

Heh. Maybe he was just getting rid of all the people who understood Wave Science?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's a little weird because in the final chapters of Ciel, you find out that the genom are largely okay dying with Ra Ciela rather than migrating with humanity. Some genom do board the Soleil but the majority of them willingly stay behind. I don't remember if they were told that the migration plan included blowing up the planet to harvest the energy for the migration but it's kind of notable that it's only Cosal who's super anti-human due to how things ended on his end in Ciel.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Working on the update now, should be ready by sometime tonight (it's just short enough and the flow is such that it really only works as one update). Next I'll probably buy myself some breathing room with some shop scenes, maybe a mix of Tattoria and the SURPRISE NEW SHOP we're about to unlock that's not a surprise because come on who could it be.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Obviously Cosal opens up a shop.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

the SURPRISE NEW SHOP we're about to unlock that's not a surprise because come on who could it be.

Doesn't the game actually spoil that one with one of the really early tutorial message popups anyway? :v:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Icedude posted:

Doesn't the game actually spoil that one with one of the really early tutorial message popups anyway? :v:

Yes it totally does, I didn't show the actual popup but after we drop Nay off it mentions the fourth shop by name.

And yes of course it's Cosal's Cozy Core, wherein he creates knick-knacks in his off-time (the first scene admits being a hypocrite rear end in a top hat is just his day job and he totally would help us but the pay's just too good).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Well that was fun, wasn’t it? Though I think I might have gotten a bit of a burn… Anyway, we’ve got one more Dive between Ion and Earthes to talk about. This time, they headed to the fake world of Nelico.

Feinne’s Notes:
So, Nelico’s Dive is kind of weird. This first bit of it is actually progressively available as our Dive Level increases, and we can get some idea what order we’re ‘supposed’ to do it in by looking at the Dive Level requirements of the events. When you’re doing the level you’re also left unable to help but notice the first event in one area never actually opens up. After doing Quality Assurance, you can probably guess what that might mean, namely that it’s part of a Dive we don’t have yet.

They started by dropping in on her old house.

Nelico, what are you doing here?
Isn’t that obvious? I came to take a look at your old house.
But still, it’s hard to believe how much you’ve smashed it…
Huh!? B-But it’s not like I smashed it myself…
Same difference. Because you regained your memory, your destroyed this house… It’s connected.
I-It is!?
Yes. Hrm, so not only were you unconscious, you also didn’t understand the mechanics of it all…
I never knew/Not interested
Though, I guess that’s understandable. Let me explain something to you…
Live I’ve told you before, this world was a part of my plan to trap the lighthouse keeper.
Needless to say, the lighthouse keeper’s house is a part of this world.
And, since this world is designed to keep her asleep, when she tries to wake up, the world will resist.
In other words, the reason this house fell apart is because she is becoming immune to my world.
Do you understand now?
Got it!/I don’t get it.
Mmm, I’m glad you seem to have a great understanding of things… When you escaped, did you remember everything?
At any rate, that’s the reason this house is what it is. The lighthouse keeper destroyed it.
Even if you suddenly want to live here, I’m not helping you rebuild it. I suggest you flex those muscles.

Followed by heading to the plains.

What say you? You down for a little nap?
What’s Kemokemo anyway?/That sounds good!
Mmm, you’ve noticed a very intricate detail, metal man. I shall reward your curiosity with information.
Why this land is called “Kemokemo”? That is simple…
Lighthouse keeper, could you say “Kemokemo” for us?
Huh? Sure…
Kemokemo.
Well!? What do you think!? Pretty cure huh? Doesn’t it make you all fuzzy inside!?
That’s hot!!/What…?
Hahahaha, just how I planned…
Makes sense now, doesn’t it?
The reason this land is called “Kemokemo” is because of how adorable the keeper sounds when she says it.
Nelico named this?
Obviously! This is MY world.

Now that she was in an explaining mood, it became obvious how the trap of this world worked.

What do you mean!? There’s no deeper meaning than this!
But, you just picked a word randomly that would sound cute, right?
You just don’t get it, do you… There is a very deep meaning to all of this.
Please tell me!/Not interested.
Very well, allow me to educate you.
Oh, it’s really simple… In this world, the lighthouse keeper needs to feel at home, right?
Because I need you to stay in this world and help me create more Sharls…
But, in order to give birth to a Sharl, one needs a companion. Thus, I must use tricks to keep him here.
And said partnership was manipulated through the Ciel noSurge program by someone else…
Have you any idea how much work I’ve put into making her say cute things… Or keeping the skirt just short enou-
Nelico! That’s quite enough with the examples…
Heh heh heh, she’s embarrassed! That just adds to your adorableness.
Manipulating the lighthouse keeper from the shadows was part of my job, you see…
So, the name “Kemokemo” comes from this drive to make Ion as adorable as possible… And an important one.
Quite an interesting story, don’t you think?

Next they stopped at a very strange place, clearly part of Sarly’s efforts to reconstruct Ion’s memories.

What are you talking about?
This, this room… I don’t recall creating something this ridiculous inside your room, you know?
Really…? But I didn’t make this room, either. It’s always been here…
Hm, I see… In that case, I guess we’ve been “done in” by this room, as it were.
Was it the room?/Not interested
Precisely.
My job is to let the lighthouse keeper sleep soundly in this world.
But, because I could restore memories, this little garden of Eden has since been destroyed.
Someone, not you, using that terminal instigated the lighthouse keeper to bring memories back to life here…
That, I was not expecting. Moreover, I have no reason to create something that would hinder myself.
I would only ever create things that allow you and the keeper to flirt with each other in this world…
For example, a nice dating spot, or possibly a costume…
Who would dare show her a painful past, make her cry, then force her to wake up? That’s what this room is for.
Whoever made it is nothing more than an obstacle to my operation…

Next they headed to the roof, which wasn’t exactly what you’d expect.

Why? Because of all the rooms, it serves the most important function.
What’s this room?
A very good question.
This is the room used to give birth to the Sharl. Yes, THOSE Sharl, the kind humans fought in the real world.
They were all born in this space, and materialized in the real world.
So… Who gave birth to all of them? That would be someone in YOUR world.
Someone else used the energy in that world to create a myriad Sharls…
That number? Over 30,000…
And, I am a virus designed to create Sharls, so, frankly… To me that operation was a success!
Many were sacrificed because of that.
That may be true, but… That is no fault of mine. My job was simply to give birth to the Sharl.

Having toured the area, they headed to the edge of the world.

When the lighthouse keeper cast me aside, and ran away with you, metal man…
Cast you aside and ran away…? Well, we aren’t exactly in a romantic relationship, are we?
Aww, that’s no fun. We’re the only two left in this world, you know?
Would it be that unnatural to have a love affair or two…?
But Nelico… We’re both women, so we can’t…
That’s what makes it all the more interesting! Have you any idea how many men would kill to witness this?
That’s right!/I’m not interested.
Ahh, I knew it! My senses have not steered me wrong!
It’s alright, you know? There’s absolutely nothing wrong about it. You can even make a book about it!
Please, stop trying to confuse Earthes with all these strange words…
At any rate, let me simplify this for you. I’m lonely! Very, very, VERY lonely!
Nelico… I never knew you were that lonely…
It’s too late for that, now… The day you leaped from that cliff, I told you…
I thought you were joking…
How could I possibly joke!? To be alone on a world where no other exists…!? It’s too cruel.
Say… Have you ever thought about returning to this world? It’ll be the only wish I ever make!
N-No… There are things I must do.
Then, how about just for one day? Please? Please?
Hmm…

A happy fantasy world within your own mind is a very dangerous trap indeed, not one to walk into willingly.

One day can turn into two… Or three, and before I realize, I’m going to be living here again…
It’s so peaceful here, I’m afraid I won’t be able to come back to reality.
…I see.
I’m sorry.
Nelico, don’t give up./I’ll live here instead of Ion.
…I’ve no choice. Right now, I cannot force you into anything, nor do I have a compelling reason.
But, if you ever wish to live here again in the future, you can come to me anytime.
I will keep my doors open and waiting, even 1,000 years in the future.

Feinne’s Notes:
To progress, we need to head back and take up Nelico on that offer. Fortunately, it doesn’t actually replay the whole scene.

Unless you’re some weirdo controlling a robot in another world, that is. There must not be much to do wherever Earthes lives.

Wh-What!? You’re going to live in this world?
Mmmmmmmmmmm!
Sorry, please forget that.
In that case…!
Huuuuuuh!?
Ah, the metal man… I guess you do more than just clunk around all day. You’re actually quite sharp!
You would live here in the lighthouse keeper’s stead. That’s a brilliant idea!
No! Earthes is my partner. I couldn’t leave him behind here.
There’s no need to leave, you know. If he’s going to play lighthouse keeper, you can play terminal.
…Huh? Me? The terminal…?
Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten… When you used to live here, it was the three of us, together…
I do remember, but it was only the two of us…
That matters not! The point is, you two are useless when you’re apart, you see.
And, if the two of you switch places, it will be a very educational experience for all of us.
I think it’s the best way for the two of you to get to know each other. Wouldn’t you agree?
Ion’s experiences sound interesting/That’s a little far fetched
Don’t you think so!?

Since they had time to see what things had been like on the other side of the little ‘game’ their predecessor had been playing.

Alright. Now that that’s decided, we’re going to give it a go. Now!
Huuuuuuuuh!? Right now!?
Obviously. If not now, when were you going to do it!?
O-Okay, but… This is really only for today.
I know, I know.
Mwahahaha! This is actually quite exciting, ahh I feel so alive!
Now, I hope you’re ready.
Y-Yes…
Of course.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem [Virtual Ciel noSurge]!
Alright, let’s get this party started!

So began the Dive proper.

…!!
System Message: [The 7th Dimensional Terminal is now online]
Ah! It’s starting!
It connected. Is someone there?
I see you, hehehe.
Who are you?
Huh? Me? I’m uhh… An average working adult…? I think?
What are you doing?
Huuuuuh!? Ummm, wh-what could it be…?
I-I have to collect things around the world so it doesn’t end… That’s my job…?

And, uhh, and then… What do I do next?
…So, if you do this, you can make items…? I see, I see…
System Message: Received a memory from the terminal, [Make Me the Legendary Bread Roll]!
I-Is that okay…?
Ahh! Oh no-! I got carried away… I’m going to be late for my train!
We’ll do the rest when I come home.
System Message: [The 7th Dimensional Terminal is now offline]
Check materials
System Message: Recipe for the [Legendary Bread Roll] 1. Poultry x 1 2. Terol Fruit x 1

Ion left rather abruptly after giving Earthes this task, without any real explanations.

What are you saying…? You’re supposed to call the person inside that house the “lighthouse keeper”.
Because… It looks like a lighthouse, I suppose?
So, what can I do for you today?
Poultry/Terol Fruit/Leave
Ahh, “Poultry”? You’ll find it in the #3 vending machine. You’ve got a good chance of hitting it.
Poultry in the vending machine!?
Hm? Why act surprised? It’s not that strange, is it? Come now, try your luck!
Ahh, something’s come out. Let’s see here…
System Message: [Found a “Slimy Sweet”!]
Mm!? This is… A “Slimy Sweet”. Too bad, looks like you didn’t find that “Poultry”. Try your luck again.
System Message: [Found a “Poultry”!]
Ahh! This is it, what you were looking for! Congratulations!
How much?
Pay…? You don’t need to pay me. We go way back, right?
Is there anything else you want?
Terol Fruit/Poultry/Leave
Unfortunately, there is no “Terol Fruit” here. You’ll only find that in “Kemokemo”.
Is there anything else you want?
Leave/Terol Fruit/Poultry
I see. Well, then, until next time.

Earthes then headed to Kemokemo to search for the fruit. Also come to think of it how the hell do you make a bread roll out of fruit and poultry?

Try using it.
System Message: [Found a “Terol Fruit”!]

The improbable ingredients in hand, there was nothing to do but head home and make the item.

System Message: [The 7th Dimensional Terminal is now online!]
I’m home! We can finally continue what we started!
Welcome back!/Haven’t seen you in a while.
Hehehe!
…Huh? Oh, the bread roll isn’t done yet? Hmm, it actually takes a lto of time, huh?
Ahh, lighthouse keeper. You’re working hard as usual.
Is there something you need today?
Today’s the anticipated let’s-see-things-from-the-keeper’s-perspective day! I brought a special item!
Ta-da! This is it!
Ahh! That’s a virtual world card!?
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Virtual World Card]!
Oh, hey… You were here? Anyway, you’re correct. This is the virtual world card…
With this card, you and the lighthouse keeper can have a nice romantic date, just the two of you.
When you want to enjoy a date, insert this card into that terminal, and dive into the virtual world.
I think I’ll be leaving right about now…
Wouldn’t want to get in the way of your lovely date, you know? Heh heh heh.

These layers of dives within dives are getting a bit ridiculous even for me.

Whoa, it looks delicious!
Reminds me of a school lunch.
Hahaha, you’re right. Oh, it sure brings back memories.
That’s right! I should do this… Like this…!
System Message: [Obtained the “Legendary Bread Roll” from the terminal]
You want to go on a date?/Can I eat it?
Yeah, that’s it!
We got the virtual world card from Nelico, after all… I don’t think we have any other option, right?
Okay, let’s go.

Okay, I can’t really act like that’s weird, fair enough.

Hehehe, thank you. I actually really like these clothes, too.
…But, school is one of those memories that we all have, you know?
What’s the most memorable event that happened to you in school?
Studying all the time/Doing crazy things with friends/Being bullied/Having a relationship
Oooh, were you an elite student? I had my good and bad subjects… The teacher would always get mad at me.
I was really good at science, math, and home economics. I couldn’t handle social studies and P.E., though…
Hey! It’s time for lunch!
Umm, so I was wondering… I made lunch for today. Do you want to sit on the grass and eat with me?
That’s the first time/I’ve done that before
Hehehe, it’s actually my first time doing it, too… But I’ve always wanted to eat my lunch like this.
Oh, that’s right! Go to the picnic area and wait for me! I have something special!
Thanks for waiting!

Heh, always an old classic that.

Sorry, it took me a while.
Lunch looks delicious!/Awesome, a uniform!
Hehehe, bon appétit! I made it especially for you, you know?
It’s so peaceful, isn’t it…? It makes you forget about all the dangers in the real world.
That’s Nelico’s trap/I want to relax here forever
Yeah, good point! I was afraid this would happen, so I turned her down… Heh, close one.

Say, how does it feel to be the “lighthouse keeper” and live in this world?
Anxiously awaiting Ion/Nelico was weird/Gathering with vending machine?
I see… And, I’m sorry I couldn’t spend much time with you, either.
But, Nelico and I really are the only two people in this world, so… that might have been a silly question.

Even in a peaceful world like this, there was a very real problem to be confronted. And it wasn’t just that Nelico was lonely and bored.

I wonder where it is…?
Your memories were from Ra Ciela?
No, there wasn’t a school like this on Ra Ciela.
We have a lot of common memories.
Of course! Because we’re…
You and I… Umm, are…

Yeah… We have so many memories together.
…I wonder why that is…?

Then, maybe we should head back soon?
It was really fun, my school experience.
I actually have something to do now, so I’ll catch up with you later.
System Message: [The 7th Dimensional Terminal is now offline]

For Earthes, it felt like several days passed with no contact from Ion.

Use the terminal.

So, they decided to drop in on Nelico.

Ahh, I see… So you fell for that trap, too, huh?
You used to come tell me the same thing, you know?
Don’t worry… Whoever’s on the other side of that terminal has their own life, too…

In desperation, they headed up to the Sharl’s Nest.

Ar Cielno: My name is Ar Cielno. I’m a Sharl with special abilities… Called “Exchanger”!
I’m familiar with what goes on here, so please, feel free to ask me anything!
Where is this?
Ar Cielno: This place is known as the Sharl’s Nest.
It absorbs energy from the world in which you live, and helps regenerate the Sharls’ bodies.
All of the Sharls that live on the surface were born here. Thanks to the material energy on your planet…
Which is why, all the Sharls are really glad for your people.
But that aside… What’s the matter?
Ion’s not coming.
Ar Cielno: Ion? Hmm, I suppose I haven’t seen her in a while, too.
Since the exchange, she came once… To regenerate me, but I haven’t seen her since.
I’m worried for Ion/Thank you
Ar Cielno: Yes… When there hasn’t been access in this long, it’s…
Maybe she got bored, and gave up…?
I won’t abandon Ion.

Where, perhaps, Earthes started to realize what was going on.

Ar Cielno: But, when they don’t come any more, they just don’t come… It just means that parallel world was just that.
Perhaps the same could be said about the parallel world in which you exist…
Anyway, this is troubling.
Ar Cielno: W-Well, that’s…
…Oh, that reminds me. Have you gone to the Dive Gate?
There are lots of memories of Ion in there. I’m sure you’ll understand why she stopped coming if you go there.
Right now, you may be the “lighthouse keeper”, but that’s just role-playing. This is Ion’s world, after all.
I shall accompany you to the Dive Gate.

Earthes and the Sharl headed to the hub of Ion’s memory.

Ar Cielno: Until a few years ago, the rooms containing Ion’s memories that connected to this hub were destroyed.
Thanks to the camphor solution, and help from the 7th dimension, all the memories are restored.
Although, time has passed since then, so there may be new doors that have appeared.
See? Like this one… Memories are a living being, so they will continue to grow.
I want to enter this door!
Ar Cielno: Yes… But normally the owner of a memory needs to be present for anyone to enter…
Do something about it.
Ar Cielno: …Hmm, well, then maybe just a little bit, okay?

They found themselves in a freshly destroyed memory.

Ar Cielno: No, I don’t think so. It doesn’t look like it’s been destroyed intentionally…
I suspect… It’s been destroyed by their own will…
Why…?
Ar Cielno: That, I do not know. If we search the area, maybe we can find something.
But, this memory… The memory itself is quite old, but it’s only been destroyed more recently.
…Now, we should return. It’s rude to peek at another’s memory, no matter how close one may be to them.
I’ll search more/Go back
Ar Cielno: Ahh! You can’t anymore!
Oh, that’s not good! You can’t move around like that.
…Huh? What’s this flyer…?

To be fair, snooping around well past the point where you’re wanted was kind of Ion’s signature move so she can’t complain if it’s used against her.

Ar Cielno: On the night of April 22nd, Nei Yuuki left her house in the 18th District of Suginohara’s Residential Area…
She was wearing a burgundy colored cardigan, and a checked pink skirt…
Her height is 160cm, and her hair is long…
Could this Nei Yuuki be…
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Nei Yuuki]!
Ahh, so you’ve finally seen it…?
To think you had the nerve to enter someone else’s memory. The lighthouse keeper has every right to be mad.
Did Ion destroy these memories?
Yes. And it was rather recently, too.
Why she destroyed it is beyond me. When someone destroys a memory, it’s because it hinders them in some way.
In other words… It’s a self-defense mechanism.
Only she knows… And, I doubt she’ll talk about it. The truth remains in the shadows, I suppose…

And so, they went to confront Nei Yuuki.

…Um, I want to ask you for something.
Could we make this the last time you enter my Genometrics?
Why?
I really don’t want to remember… What happened in the past.
But, when I’m around you, I feel like I’m being forced to remember them.
I don’t want to dive any deeper.
Nei Yuuki is…/Ion’s homeworld is Earth?
Don’t say that!
…I’ve given up that name. That’s not me!
My name is Ion! Ionasal kkll Preciel!
…You’re so cruel. You looked at my memories without my permission…
I destroyed it because I didn’t want anyone to see it! And yet you…!
There’s no way to escape/Sorry
Shut up! This is all your fault! Don’t try to lecture me!
…! I-I’m sorry. That’s not what I meant. I know it’s not your fault.
But, it really is painful.
When we were eating lunch at school, earlier… I had so much fun talking with you.
That moment of peace… That peaceful world I used to live in… And you, someone I can share my memories with.
Yes… I realized that you and I were from the same planet.
The same planet, called Earth…

Who, frankly, was justifiably upset.

…Like being in an escape pod, thrown out of a ship. Drifting aimlessly…
Like when you make a mistake that can’t be undone.
…Of course, I love this world. Which is exactly why I hated myself.
I was jealous of the world to which I couldn’t return… And I hated myself scorning this world…
At the same time, I got a little mad at you… Just a little.
When I played your role, it made me realize…
You’re just observing this world from the other side of a piece of glass… And it made me hate things…
But, I’m sorry… You didn’t do anything wrong. I know.
That’s why I don’t want to talk about this subject anymore. I want to forget about Earth.
No, I want you to forget about it… So I don’t have to hate you anymore…
Let’s look for a way back together/…I got it
…No. You can’t say things that aren’t even possible.
I told you, right? In order to return from this world I would have to sacrifice these people.
That can’t be forgiven, which is why I have no intention of going back.
I’ll search with you until we find it/…
So, don’t make promises that you can’t keep. When did you become such a small person!?
There’s no way we can be together forever… You’re on the other side of a screen.
You can turn the power off whenever it suits you, and come play when you have time.
How can someone like that say they want to be with me forever…?
I’m serious/…

Thank you. That makes me so happy… I know how you feel

And just as she had before, Ion attempted to cut off any efforts at progress.

The Song Magic that I have right now is plenty strong, as is the bond between you and me.
I think it would be best if we didn’t go much deeper into the genometrics, and hurt each other.
Any deeper, and Earth will be such a fundamental part of it.
I can’t guarantee I won’t hurt you. That’s why I want to call it quits here.
I would still move forward/Then let’s do that
Why?
I’m sure Ion could find happiness/Because I love Ion
I don’t know that…

That actually makes me a little happy, you know? If we become even closer… Do you think it’ll make us happy?
…No, you don’t have to answer that. I’m sure we can, right? Okay… I’m going to trust you.
I have no doubt, though, that it will be really difficult, from here on out. I don’t think I can help you…
If that’s okay with you, then we can go, together…
Maybe I can overcome the conflicts in my mind… If I’m with you.
I might be able to free myself from the regret I still carry… Being torn between Earth and Ra Ciela…
System Message: Obtained the thought gem [Memories of Earthes]!

But, it seemed part of her was still willing to continue.

And, so has the ruler of this world.
If you truly wish to protect me until the end, then… Let’s go. Together?
I promise you, too… That I’ll be by your side, forever.

Nelico was hanging out at the Hymmnofort, I doubt she expected things to turn out this way.

It’s okay… Earthes and I have decided.
I’m sure you’re already aware of this, but… I can’t control anything beyond this point.
All the conflict, the trauma… Only you yourself or someone with a strong bond can free you from them.
Then that’s okay.
Oh, you’re too soft… Don’t get full of yourself because you two came to an understanding on this shallow level.
Well, I suppose there’s no use reasoning with you now. I suggest you experience it for yourself.
Nelico… I want to thank you.
The role-playing helped a great deal in strengthening the bond between me and Earthes.
Heh, that was my intent all along… But I’m glad it ended well anyway.
You two be careful, alright? Oh, and lighthouse keeper…
And you, on the other side of the screen… You two must prepare yourselves for what’s ahead.
Leave it to me!/I’m getting scared.
Hehehe, I’m counting on you.
Well then, Nelico… Please help me open this door.
Very well. And, I hope that this is not the final task we undertake together, lighthouse keeper.

Still, she was willing to help.

When they returned to reality, Earthes decided to confront Ion in the real world about the Dive.

Huh?
Oh, you found my old memories inside my mind…
…Yes. I’m originally from Earth. That’s where you live, too, right?
That’s right./I prefer to call it Terra.
I knew it…
I’m from the same world as you. Here, people call it “Earthes”.
It’s a foreign planet to everyone here… But I guess we both come from there.
Does that mean your house is here?
I don’t know that… There are several possible universes. There could be my family, or my house… Or nothing.
…Sorry, I didn’t tell you anything this whole time.
I actually decided not to tell anyone this.
I have several reasons… But, maybe you can already see why by looking into my heart.
You must be surprised, though, seeing it suddenly in my heart…
I was surprised./I kind of figured already.
I see… Sorry, I didn’t mean to surprise you.
But, maybe the reason I feel so comfortable around you, is because we’re from the same world.
When we’re together… It makes me feel so at ease…
I don’t think there’s any logic to it. It just feels like… We’re on the same wavelength. Resonating…
I hope we can continue to be like this…

I think that’s good for now. Against my better judgment your aunt’s going to be watching over things tomorrow, there’s some dumb outreach thing I’m supposed to be at. Ugh, and I’m just getting redder, maybe I kind of miss the sun being obscured by a terrible haze.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Sharl and the Sovereign

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
And now we've got the best song magic in the game! (imo) I'll record it later, because it's pretty fun. This dive especially was an interesting one when I played, I really expected something different at first.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In principle, I like that the game is coming out and directly indicting the player for buying into its anime waifu crap. But in practice, literally everything else about the game makes that ring completely hollow... and then it immediately turns around and says "Actually, maybe it's okay after all" anyway. It's almost impressive how quickly and intensely it tries to have its cake and eat it too.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

In principle, I like that the game is coming out and directly indicting the player for buying into its anime waifu crap. But in practice, literally everything else about the game makes that ring completely hollow... and then it immediately turns around and says "Actually, maybe it's okay after all" anyway. It's almost impressive how quickly and intensely it tries to have its cake and eat it too.

It's sort of supposed to be like that. It's pointing out to us that Ion's taking advantage of our perception of her to get us to do whatever she wants us to, just like she did to Nay at the start of the phase. And we keep falling for it and doing whatever it is she wants.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 27, 2015

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So, what are the differences in this dive if you did import the save fron CN?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

It's sort of supposed to be like that. It's pointing out to us that Ion's taking advantage of our perception of her to get us to do whatever she wants us to, just like she did to Nay at the start of the phase. And we keep falling for it and doing whatever it is she wants.
I guess you have advance knowledge from later in the game, but from what I've seen so far, I just don't see this read of Ion as having secretly been a horrible manipulative rear end in a top hat this whole time. As much as I'd like to believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
See, this is an example. Have more actual people? Develop the main characters? NOPE instead we'll just dive into Ion's mind-virus thing which doesn't even exist. That's not even something which should be possible. And more to the point, who loving cares about Nelico?

The reason this land is called “Kemokemo” is because of how adorable the keeper sounds when she says it.

And also this is whole thing is aggressively bad and dumb.

• Locked thread