Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
It should also be mentioned with the slopes thing that no arty ever fires from max gun elevation. The devs stated this back in cbt or shortly after. The extra range is used in case the tank is tipped over slightly from a slope. Also along with this discussion, you have to play with fire some too. Like in real life, firing from a higher ground does give you better firing shots. On the other hand, standing on top of a mountain is a great way to get spotted and shot at in short order. Choose wisely.

When it comes to low tiers like the priest and such, there is really not much to be helped sadly. The game is still full of light tanks zipping around the battlefield while the change from tier 2 to tier 3 guns has a lengthened enough aim time and larger track bloom to make hitting anything a challenge. And if something is sitting still, it is probably already under the gaze of multiple friendlies because it got tracked. I honestly hate the low tier artillery for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How do I land 7 shots and pen 2 with a roomba as top tier.

RNG is awful, I bounced like dialed in four side shots on KTs

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Magres posted:

How do I land 7 shots and pen 2 with a roomba as top tier.

RNG is awful, I bounced like dialed in four side shots on KTs

Don't worry - in my STB-1 tonight I shot 22 times, hit 18, penned 7. It was in Clan Wars and we lost. I am loving terrible. I did hit 3 enemy guns though - for no actual critical damage.

Also the LTTB is hilariously better than the WZ-132 in every single way except a very slight decrease in HP and camo. The WZ-132 is such a lovely tank that it's worse than at least three tier 7 lights - the T71 and M41 are obviously nuts, and the LTTB goes super fast and has an extremely good gun. 950 HP on a tier 7 light is bananas and a 4.3 second reload and great pen makes the gun great. I hope the T-54 Light is as good as people seem to be claiming, but I'm not sure how it can be better than the RU251.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Sometimes, when your team starts to say "no" about winning, you have to pretend they are saying Yes.

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 25, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
A 4 skill AMX 13 90 crew? :shlick:

Hellsau posted:

. I hope the T-54 Light is as good as people seem to be claiming, but I'm not sure how it can be better than the RU251.
After suffering through low depression light tanks like the 13 90 and WZ- series, the huge gun depression on the RU251 is like angels from heaven opening up the clouds above you. Changes the way you can play.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I am having trouble adjusting to the AMX 13 90 after the WZ121 and Bulldog. The WZ and 'dog are both quicker, more agile and have better handling guns so i often get myself into situations that the other two can run from that the AMX is just too slow to survive. Plus it feels like you have to stop and aim for an eternity before you can hit something even at close range.

I guess you play it more like a medium than a shoot and scoot scout?

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
Sometimes, when your team starts to say no about winning, no means no

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The 34-2 is so so so so bad. No DPM. No armor. Can't hit the broad side of a barn even with the 100. gently caress it playing with the 122. Its oddly satisfying now. Punishing morons for exposing themselves within 100 meters is vastly better than trying to plink from range or pretending it's a type. On the flip side the church BP is so good and bad at the same time it is unreal. Averaging 1.4 as much damage as HP and a nearly 1 to 1 armor use efficiency. Crazy effective tank.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I am having trouble adjusting to the AMX 13 90 after the WZ121 and Bulldog. The WZ and 'dog are both quicker, more agile and have better handling guns so i often get myself into situations that the other two can run from that the AMX is just too slow to survive. Plus it feels like you have to stop and aim for an eternity before you can hit something even at close range.

You have to be opportunistic. I scout a little bit in it but its more of a secondary function. You dont want to brawl it out with other scouts unless it's a situation that is necessary. I tend to conservatively spot early game and then do a little bit of sniping (load APCR for your first set of rounds). If you can get 3-4 to connect early game you already have an okay game going. Once the early game distribution settles out you want to use your speed to find those close quarter situations where your team has an isolated engagement that you can use the distraction of another tank and your burst damage to leverage the engagement.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The 34-2 is so so so so bad. No DPM. No armor. Can't hit the broad side of a barn even with the 100. gently caress it playing with the 122. Its oddly satisfying now. Punishing morons for exposing themselves within 100 meters is vastly better than trying to plink from range or pretending it's a type. On the flip side the church BP is so good and bad at the same time it is unreal. Averaging 1.4 as much damage as HP and a nearly 1 to 1 armor use efficiency. Crazy effective tank.

I enjoyed the 34-2 with the 122 a lot. Essentially, I played it as a scout for the first half of the game, which it really is. It is actually smaller than a number of scout tanks and has camo almost as good. Then late game play like an auto loader that swoops in a cleans up enemy tanks sub 350HP. There is nothing wrong with taking pot shots with the 122 either at far away targets. Yeah you might(Probably will) miss but you also might rail them in the side of their tank for 400+ damage.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

In most scouts you want to keep your speed up because if you stop you die. The 13 90 does not accelerate well, so you definitely cannot afford to stop unless you know you are safe or you've arrived at your passive scout bush on Prokhorovka and want to farm LT-15. If you are scouting in the 1390 ensure you have enough space for your loops and never need to stop or slow down. Also sniping in the 1390 is real bad so try not to do that - no Vertical Stabilizer is kind of brutal.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I purchased the M3 Lee again (on sale) so that I can go down the American heavy line. It's not as bad as I remember... even with a new 75% crew. I hadn't unlocked the tracks or engine before I skipped over the Lee last time to get to the Sherman, but I got enough XP from two games to unlock both easily.

After winning those two games, I am now up to 25% win rate (after 12 games)! I think that's why I skipped this tank last time. I played 9 or 10 games and thought, "gently caress it, I just can't win in this thing."

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

M.C. McMic posted:

I purchased the M3 Lee again (on sale) so that I can go down the American heavy line. It's not as bad as I remember... even with a new 75% crew. I hadn't unlocked the tracks or engine before I skipped over the Lee last time to get to the Sherman, but I got enough XP from two games to unlock both easily.

After winning those two games, I am now up to 25% win rate (after 12 games)! I think that's why I skipped this tank last time. I played 9 or 10 games and thought, "gently caress it, I just can't win in this thing."

I free xp'd through that thing twice and I still don't regret it whatsoever.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

subhelios posted:

I free xp'd through that thing twice and I still don't regret it whatsoever.

Once wasn't enough?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

The Southern Dandy posted:

Once wasn't enough?

I had to go back for the M4 Sherman didn't I :colbert:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

M46 Patton does own. With suspension equipment I can just mount the 105 and be a pershing with a 105 making the xp grind not bad at all actually.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
What's the deal with the T-127. It's a light tank but it can face tank three medium tanks at the same time and blow up all three one at a time and then head off for more.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

At that tier things like 'light' and 'medium' are meaningless. Look at the t-127's armor thickness, then the pen of most mediums that tier. A tiny bit of angling makes it immune to whats coming its way.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The class designations don't mean all that much. The T-127 is a feisty little thing with well-sloped armor so it can bounce a shell or two on occasion.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, what order do you upgrade your is-8 components? gun first like most things, or do the turret/engine help more than I'd expect

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

M.C. McMic posted:

I'm a newbie and ended up grinding the T1 and the M4 in it with poo poo crew. With patience I was able to secure a 51% win rate and a respectable score. It's not good but it is not as bad as some pieces of crap.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Prav posted:

The class designations don't mean all that much. The T-127 is a feisty little thing with well-sloped armor so it can bounce a shell or two on occasion.

I wish I took a screenshot but in this case 37 out of 42 hits failed to penetrate. Not my kind of tank but it was neat.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

KV-5 is pretty great. 4k damage + Top Gun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu7UoHzXlcc

The Southern Dandy posted:

Once wasn't enough?

I got the Grant since for inexplicable reasons I wanted to do the new UK TD line.
First game, tier4 where I proceeded to murder the poo poo out of a PzB2 slinging gold. That was oddly rewarding.....

Hellsau posted:

In most scouts you want to keep your speed up because if you stop you die. The 13 90 does not accelerate well, so you definitely cannot afford to stop unless you know you are safe or you've arrived at your passive scout bush on Prokhorovka and want to farm LT-15. If you are scouting in the 1390 ensure you have enough space for your loops and never need to stop or slow down. Also sniping in the 1390 is real bad so try not to do that - no Vertical Stabilizer is kind of brutal.

I actually managed the LT-15 (aka sit in a bush the entire game) on Redshire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHDxeqRCXZU
Although I almost screwed it up by actually trying to shoot the enemy.

Prav posted:

Isn't there a clan called CIA that basically only sealclubs in lower tiers using T-127s?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Azhais posted:

So, what order do you upgrade your is-8 components? gun first like most things, or do the turret/engine help more than I'd expect

Your stock turret can mount the M62-T2, please do it first. That gun just makes everything else much easier.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Azhais posted:

The gun, then the engine. Prepare to feel horribly cheated for the entirety of the grind. That tank is a complete shitwagon compared to the IS-3 until you get it upgraded. Then it's merely not as good.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The IS-8 is pretty good, it's just not very good at being a traditional heavy. It's more like a fat medium. Great gun that handles really well, really strong turret, goes pretty fast. No armor you can count on anywhere other than the turret, though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cardiac posted:

I actually managed the LT-15 (aka sit in a bush the entire game) on Redshire.

You can technically get LT-15 from east spawn on Swamp, north spawn on Redshire, south spawn on Highway, and sometimes on Malinovka if the teams work out just right. Otherwise it's all Prok all the time.

How much spotting was that? It's hard to get enough HP to walk into your team's snipers for the higher missions on that Redshire spot or the Swamp one, but pubbies are always terrible so sometimes you get lucky.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheFluff posted:

The IS-8 is pretty good, it's just not very good at being a traditional heavy. It's more like a fat medium. Great gun that handles really well, really strong turret, goes pretty fast. No armor you can count on anywhere other than the turret, though.

Not sure I bounced 2000 damage total in the entire IS-3 grind, so its not like I expect my armor to do anything :v:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

TheFluff posted:

It's not like the IS-3 is actually well armored either. Up to the IS-7 on that line, you're just bouncing shots mostly off luck and pubbie aim.

For whatever reason, players are more intimidated by IS-3s than they are IS-8s, so you can take those tanks into the exact same places but experience different reactions. But it's like whatever, head somewhere with an E-75 and do all the damage for him.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 25, 2015

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Hellsau posted:

You can technically get LT-15 from east spawn on Swamp, north spawn on Redshire, south spawn on Highway, and sometimes on Malinovka if the teams work out just right. Otherwise it's all Prok all the time.

How much spotting was that? It's hard to get enough HP to walk into your team's snipers for the higher missions on that Redshire spot or the Swamp one, but pubbies are always terrible so sometimes you get lucky.

You can get it spotting from the middle on Lakeville too if your idiot team actually shoots red tanks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's not like the IS-3 isn't actually well armored either. Up to the IS-7 on that line, you're just bouncing shots mostly off luck and pubbie aim.

For whatever reason, players are more intimidated by IS-3s than they are IS-8s, so you can take those tanks into the exact same places but experience different reactions. But it's like whatever, head somewhere with an E-75 and do all the damage for him.

I'm fairly sure the IS-3 was nerfed at some point. Certainly when I went through it a couple of years ago it was a ridiculous bouncing machine. You just ran straight into the enemy and then murdered them. I think that's why it has the reputation. It was certainly much much more robust than the IS-8.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I feel like I'll have to do something special to get my mastery badge for the T69.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm fairly sure the IS-3 was nerfed at some point. Certainly when I went through it a couple of years ago it was a ridiculous bouncing machine. You just ran straight into the enemy and then murdered them. I think that's why it has the reputation. It was certainly much much more robust than the IS-8.

It's armor has been messed with a bunch of times, but it remains a challenging tanks for pubbies to handle: overall strong armor, powerful-looking pike nose, no obvious weak points. Killing it quickly takes knowledge that most pubbies don't give a poo poo about finding.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The thing that makes the IS-3 good is the side armor which is made of unicorns and luck and will eat shells all day. Unless I am in a tank with pretty low pen I don't think twice going against IS-3's.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm done, a T49 full penned me with derp HE from across the map while I was in my M103. He scraped along my rear engine deck and hit one of the tiny bumps in the deck to full pen me for 1049 damage.

I'm free! Is talking about selling game accounts against the rules here? Ideally I can pawn my account, recoup some of my losses, and be permanently done instead of letting this loving awful game drag me back in yet again.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 25, 2015

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

There was also a time when players had to try to fight IS3s with M4s and T-34s

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Azhais posted:

I hated the IS-8 until I got the engine, then it became one of my favourite tanks. You definitely need the top gun on it as well though, when you get both you can really bully with it. Just pretend that it has 0 armour and be happy if you bounce stuff.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Average damage: 800, average WN8, 2000, wins, 3 of 8 games. I love my KV-1 but WOT doesn't love my KV-1.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The IS-8 also suffered from replacing the formidable IS-4 at tier 9 in the line up, probably the best pound for pound tank the game ever saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

You could probably convince me that it was better than the current IS-4, even with 710 missing HP and short VR.