Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Samizdata posted:

Unless it is floored with, say, Yvonne Strahovsky and Alison Brie, it doesn't exist.

For some, this would be the preferred fit-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

quote:

I want to take all my shits in the stately elegance of a California king bed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Personal spaaace

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Piss in the corner just so they know who's boss.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NancyPants posted:

Not me. I want to take all my shits in the stately elegance of a room large enough to hold a California king bed.

Imagine a shower so nice you feel bad about peeing in it.

I like having a divider wall for the shitter at least. I remember staying at the Delta Sky Miles club in Atlanta on a guest pass, and taking a shower there for a 15 hour delay (flight was cancelled, KLM/Delta hosed the dog on getting rebookings/vouchers). They had these massive bathrooms that were amazing; but when I took a poo poo, the echo from my butt was booming and it kinda put me on edge with how loud it was.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

SynthOrange posted:

Personal spaaace

Don't cross the streams!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Uh excuse me that is the urinal for the iguana-men. Don't be racist.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

when I took a poo poo, the echo from my butt was booming and it kinda put me on edge with how loud it was.

Now everyone knows I'm on my phone in this tiny bathroom stall

Pre-emptive "get on topic" retort: it's called CRAPPY construction tales. Petition to update subtitle to poopchat.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My buddy who runs a small construction company is constantly having problems with poo poo like this because lazy/drunk/high employees.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

SynthOrange posted:

Personal spaaace

This has got to be the men's room at the St Louis Arch.

I almost took a picture, but decided not to in better judgement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Terrible Robot posted:

My buddy who runs a small construction company is constantly having problems with poo poo like this because lazy/drunk/high employees.

God drat. Coping saws are not difficult tools to learn. Hell that type of join could probably be mitered.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

That's fine.. A little wood putty and caulk and you'll never know.

When I did apartment maintenance I saw a couple of joins like that, and that was the "solution"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Calk and paint makes a carpenter who ain't.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Must've done my house. I have gaps you could shove an Italian greyhound through.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Terrible Robot posted:

Got a little more backstory out of my friend.

This wasn't even done by his employees, but by the owner of the building that they are renovating. Apparently the guy is super impatient (because it took 7 months to get a permit and is now way behind schedule on this remodel) and took it upon himself to do this, before the flooring was installed. :downs:

Oh also the flooring chosen by the customer is wood of some kind, and this is in a sanitary area. They've tried to explain why this is a bad idea/against code numerous times but the dude doesn't want to hear it, so they're just going to let the health inspectors rip him a new rear end in a top hat, like they have done on numerous other stupid decisions in this project.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is in a COMMERCIAL property?

That's gonna be quite a show when DOH won't sign off on the kitchen or whatever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Unless it is floored with, say, Yvonne Strahovsky and Alison Brie, it doesn't exist.

I'm not saying I want to pee on them (or anybody else), but if they asked me to, I sure as poo poo wouldn't feel bad about it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So who here can tell me why this 60W bulb was burning about 3x brighter than the other 60W bulbs in the same fixture?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

drat did it feel like staring directly into the sun when you screwed it in?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It was an old one. I had taken the fixture down to check some wiring, when I put it back up the one bulb was mega bright. Filament must have got knocked loose, then contacted just right to short out like that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Please tell me you have some details for these.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I can only assume they're art installations of some kind.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

We never had anything like that for a pool - but it seems to be a common way to hook them up? I guess people plan on building a huge enclosure around it or something.
Maybe having shutoffs for everything within reach at the same time is important /shrug

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The only problem here is that he's missing 2 or 3 clamps to keep the bubble under control.

(is that a condom!?)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Motronic posted:

(is that a condom!?)

Oh man I really really hope it is!

Seriously, I have a burning need for context on that one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Funny thing is, those worm gear clamps (decent ones as these appear to be) aren't cheap like at the hardware store in onesy twosey quantities. So this like like $20-30 worth of clamps. Which is way more than the parts to fix it the right way. (cost of condom not included as it may be used)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

stuxracer posted:

We never had anything like that for a pool - but it seems to be a common way to hook them up? I guess people plan on building a huge enclosure around it or something.
Maybe having shutoffs for everything within reach at the same time is important /shrug

This is probably for auxiliary outputs for a fancy rear end pool. My folks have a multi level waterfall in their spa and it has 2 shutoffs for diverting water from the pump to the waterfall levels. Been that way for 15+ years and no leaks or issues.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Found the source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plumbing-Home-1735/2010/10/Best-way-replace-bad.htm

Question

[picture]
Scary Pipe Patch

I have recently purchased a cabin with crawlspace plumbing and have
found an alarming repair made by the previous owner and need to
know the easiest way to repair the repair.

What I found is a galvanized cold-water supply that had apparently
burst due to freezing. A section was cut out and replaced with a piece
of clear plastic tubing. That was attached to the cut ends of the old
galvanized with 2 or 3 hose clamps on each side. The gap between
the ends of the old galvanized pipe is about 2.5 inches. The clear
tubing is visibly bulging and that makes me *very* nervous.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

flosofl posted:

God drat. Coping saws are not difficult tools to learn. Hell that type of join could probably be mitered.
Wait, am I missing something? Doesn't an outside corner *have* to be mitered?

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

This looks like half the plumbing at the plant I work at. One of the ongoing projects of the maintenance department is to cut that poo poo out wholesale with a sawsall (along with all the dead piping and wiring that's around it) and replace it with a manifold or two. There are places where supply water would seem to have a shut off valve, but if you followed all the pipes you'd find a way around it and no way to turn the water off. The maintenance guys constantly curse EVERYONE who has worked on the plant in the last sixty years because NOBODY has give one flying gently caress to do anything right. It would be funny if this weren't a multi-million dollar operation.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ductonius posted:

The maintenance guys constantly curse EVERYONE who has worked on the plant in the last sixty years because NOBODY has give one flying gently caress to do anything right.
It's me, I'm the maintenance guy. Except this is in IT for a major international bank. :suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ductonius posted:

This looks like half the plumbing at the plant I work at. One of the ongoing projects of the maintenance department is to cut that poo poo out wholesale with a sawsall (along with all the dead piping and wiring that's around it) and replace it with a manifold or two. There are places where supply water would seem to have a shut off valve, but if you followed all the pipes you'd find a way around it and no way to turn the water off. The maintenance guys constantly curse EVERYONE who has worked on the plant in the last sixty years because NOBODY has give one flying gently caress to do anything right. It would be funny if this weren't a multi-million dollar operation.

EveryCommercialIndustrialInstallationEver.txt

My father spent his career with the local power company, in power generation. He has a multitude of stories about triple redundant systems with all three redundancies either bypassed or tagged out for deferred maintenance, essentially indefinitely, and management flipping their poo poo when the "triple redundant" system broke, and cost them money due to lost production. Most times, it was he same manager flipping out that kept signing the deferral for budgetary reasons when it would roll around in the maintenance logs.

:v:

For as much poo poo as companies (rightly) get for not giving a gently caress about safety, or pollution, or wages, or whatever the topic of the day is, employees not giving a gently caress, and not doing things with common sense (or often, not even in accordance with rules or regulations) often produces better fodder for this thread, and threads like it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
So about 2 years ago I bought a house, ended up being a very good deal as the previous owner was trying to vacate the area very quickly for whatever reason. Anyhow I knew very little about home repair at the time and I bought it. The previous owner was a contractor and did a lot of the work himself (guess where this will start to go). Bear with me if I misspeak, like I said I'm not very well versed in construction/home repair. I'm mostly going off of what the repair guys told me.

We assumed that some stuff would need repaired. The furnace needed a new part, walls needed repainted, some of the carpets were kinda lovely, no big deal. Fairly basic stuff we thought.

The first odd thing we noticed happened after a power outage. The dining room didn't come back on, also part of the kitchen was on the dining room breaker. So we tripped it back on. The kitchen went out. So we tripped the kitchen back on and the dining room went out again. Tripped the dining room again and something else tripped this time. At this point we called an electrician. He found the problem fairly quickly, the breaker box that we had was a sub panel and couldn't handle the power of the house, so every time everything was on it acted like something was surging and would kill power. Breaker replaced and that issue was fixed.

Next fun thing I found out when we tried to put shelves up around the upper perimeter of some of the rooms for books/games/movies and such. We measured the shelves to be level, but some books wouldn't fit on one end of the shelf while they'd have 2" of clearance on the other side. So we checked the walls and discovered there is not a single 90 degree angle in the entirety of the house.

Adding more mystery is the bathroom, which has about a foot step to get into it (there might be a reason for this, I don't know). My roommate decided to take a bath instead of a shower when we noticed that water was coming through the floor to the downstairs, but it's not like she was splashing around. She ended up running into the previous owner when he decided to stop back and see if he could buy the house back. Obvious no, but she did ask about the bathroom. There was a pipe that he didn't think was connected to anything when he replaced the tub last time, so he figured it was just extra and didn't bother to attach it to anything. :(

There's also an air conditioner in the one upstairs bedroom that is just kinda in the wall where a window used to be, surrounded now by a piece or particle board, a shirt, and a couple of socks. It no longer functions.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Did you buy sight unseen and without an inspection?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

stuxracer posted:

Did you buy sight unseen and without an inspection?

Actually an inspector cleared it.

EDIT: Also the purchase was a quit claim deed.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 26, 2015

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

PSWII60 posted:

the purchase was a quit claim deed.
WELP

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

EDIT: Also the purchase was a quit claim deed.

You bought a house on a quit claim?

Who finances that kind of thing and at what rate? Title insurance is a pretty common (probably universal) requirement for a mortgage in the US.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

You bought a house on a quit claim?

Who finances that kind of thing and at what rate? Title insurance is a pretty common (probably universal) requirement for a mortgage in the US.

When I said good deal I mean I paid about 6,000 plus another 2,500 in back taxes. So I didn't have to finance anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

PSWII60 posted:

When I said good deal I mean I paid about 6,000 plus another 2,500 in back taxes. So I didn't have to finance anything.

Am I reading this right and you're saying you paid $8,500 for a house and you are complaining that it is poorly built/maintained?