Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
New game in development that looks to capture that PT magic: http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/05...l,manual,manual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, I didn't know this, but Resident Evil HD sold a shitton, and apparently Capcom is very happy about this. I really hope this makes them want to give more old school survival horror a shot again.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Full HD remake of Resident Evil 2 and 3, please

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Didn't somebody figure out they were going to do 0 next? :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/15/guillermo-del-toro-laments-what-silent-hills-couldve-been

quote:

While speaking to Del Toro about his next movie, Crimson Peak, I told him how devastated I was by Silent Hills sudden cancellation. "We are, too," he replied. "The collaboration between Kojima and myself, the meetings, and the friendship that was developing was beautiful. We had an agreement on where to go. We had an agreement on how we were going to push the new platforms. We were having a blast.”

:sigh:

The whole article is basically "Del Toro is pretty bummed this isn't happening anymore!" and it's like Konamiiiiiiii :argh:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/15/guillermo-del-toro-laments-what-silent-hills-couldve-been

:sigh:

The whole article is basically "Del Toro is pretty bummed this isn't happening anymore!" and it's like Konamiiiiiiii :argh:

It seems like with Kojima having severed his ties with Konami, they could still do some kind of collaboration. Kojima almost certainly has enough pull in the industry that if he wanted to start his own studio he'd be able to find investors and employees pretty easily. Sure they wouldn't have the rights to Silent Hill, specifically, but given that it was going to be kind of a departure anyway, it seems like they could just start a new IP, like the original Team Silent devs did with the Siren series.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It seems like with Kojima having severed his ties with Konami, they could still do some kind of collaboration. Kojima almost certainly has enough pull in the industry that if he wanted to start his own studio he'd be able to find investors and employees pretty easily. Sure they wouldn't have the rights to Silent Hill, specifically, but given that it was going to be kind of a departure anyway, it seems like they could just start a new IP, like the original Team Silent devs did with the Siren series.

All news has been pointing to Konami pulling out of video games entirely. I'd imagine that their next big move is to sell/contract out the franchise to another developer, once the next MGS is done, which, depending how dickish they plan on being about it, could be good or bad.

That Silent Hills isn't happening anymore is a huge loving shame, though.

On an up note-- the Pathologic kickstarter keeps getting updates. The backer portal just opened.

EDIT: Oookay, after seeing the dolls in prior posts it's less of a shame, and shifted more on the side of Del Toro. :sigh: I was really looking forward to the game, nonetheless.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 16, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I still can't believe that there's an actual remake of Pathologic coming. It seems too good to be true.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Cheshire Cat posted:

At this point its just a game of waiting to see which one of them gets drunk enough to say gently caress it, call the other up and make Not Silent Hill anyway.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Crabtree posted:

At this point its just a game of waiting to see which one of them gets drunk enough to say gently caress it, call the other up and make Not Silent Hill anyway.

Kojima, Del Toro and Junji Ito walk into a bar and all your most hideous nightmares come true.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
In a bar across the street, Shinji Mikami, Hitoshi Iwaaki, and Lars Von Trier all ruminate on the coolest but scariest way to mutilate genitals.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Ah sweet, I just found out that they finally released Haunting Ground on PSN in Japan.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Kojima, Del Toro and Junji Ito walk into a bar and all your most hideous nightmares come true.

And it's open mic night, Akira Yamaoka is on stage with nothing but a cello bow and a gong.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Streams of this Monstrum (which came out of early access a few days ago) game paint it in a bad light. I just watched a guy die with no prompt by the monster seemingly appearing behind him and killing him in one hit. I guess if you're the kind of person who likes jump scares and and aren't frustrated by permadeath its 'good'

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I impulse bought it and kind of regret it, It's cool conceptually but I found the actual game to be really unpolished.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That's a shame, I always thought it'd be cool to have a game where you have a big area and there's a monster wandering around that you have to avoid based on its ai, and that sounded really close

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relin posted:

Streams of this Monstrum (which came out of early access a few days ago) game paint it in a bad light. I just watched a guy die with no prompt by the monster seemingly appearing behind him and killing him in one hit. I guess if you're the kind of person who likes jump scares and and aren't frustrated by permadeath its 'good'

Were you watching the harshly critical video? Cause there was a sign showing it was coming, he just didn't notice it (the lights were blinking on and off repeatedly, which they don't normally do)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

For anyone still following along with SOMA it looks like they've updated the 'files' section of the website. Dunno if there's any new videos in there, but worth a gander all the same.

http://somagame.com/files.html

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

For anyone still following along with SOMA it looks like they've updated the 'files' section of the website. Dunno if there's any new videos in there, but worth a gander all the same.

They did post this, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aN52psDOXU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

alf_pogs posted:

Had no idea this was a thing. I really hope it doesn't have the gameplay of Amnesia, but other than that the site has me hyped.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

One thing that irritates me with Soma so far is that the protagonist is speaking. It's not the end of the world or anything, but whenever the protagonist of a horror game speaks during gameplay, it just sort of takes me out of it. Even more-so if the game is in first person. I think it bugs me because it makes the experience feel more like a tour or something. Like, the player character going "what the gently caress" is the game trying to tell me "you are supposed to be creeped here."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, that first(?) gameplay trailer where the protagonist is screaming OH gently caress OH gently caress WHAT THE gently caress WHAT made me laugh because it was just so over-done. Let the player's reactions takes precedence in horror games you jerks.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So what you guys are saying is that the first three silent hill games were less than they could have been because the protagonists spoke.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mindblast posted:

So what you guys are saying is that the first three silent hill games were less than they could have been because the protagonists spoke.

They didn't speak in gameplay though, only cutscenes (I think) and those are kinda different games to a first person horror game anyway.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
With the first three Silent Hills (Though less so in the third) the characters have a subdued, dreamlike approach to the weirdness going on around them rather than a panicky OH poo poo OH gently caress LOOK AT THAAAAT which is like the equivalent of a 3D movie making things fly at the audience for no reason

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It might be a huge hit with the Pewdiepie market segment - seems a whole new generation needs to be told when to be afraid and creeped out rather explicitly.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a horror game made with Lars von Trier would be amusing as poo poo. Can you imagine if Antichrist was a game, lol the ways he writes female characters and their murder of male protagonists alone would be worth the insanity.

also Resident Evil 0 being confirmed as the next HD remake makes me sad. 2 is a masterpiece in need of a facelift and 3 is great too. Zero was really bland.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Coming july 2017: In response to the sales of RE0 HD PC, capcom releases Resident Evil Outbreak HD File #2 PC

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would buy. Unironically. :smug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MinibarMatchman posted:

also Resident Evil 0 being confirmed as the next HD remake makes me sad. 2 is a masterpiece in need of a facelift and 3 is great too. Zero was really bland.

I doubt it's an HD remake, it's probably just the Gamecube version remastered in exactly the same way as REmake was. Screens will scroll for widescreen, backgrounds will have a filter, models will be cleaned up and textures will be higher-resolution, and probably also a modern 3D control scheme.

That's why we're getting Resident Evil 0 and not Resident Evil 2. RE2 would require them completely building a new game from scratch, so unless that's just a thing they were planning on doing for a while I doubt we're ever going to see it (we're not).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I don't understand why Capcom are going so far away from every formula that works for them. But then again, megaman games. If they re-released Resident Evil 2 with the exact same controls as 4 it would sell like hell.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Flameingblack posted:

I don't understand why Capcom are going so far away from every formula that works for them. But then again, megaman games. If they re-released Resident Evil 2 with the exact same controls as 4 it would sell like hell.

Same reason that everyone clamored for FF7 and Square Enix didn't do it. It's more profitable to release a rehash of the same game on a different platform rather than building another one. If they do release RE2 "HD" they'll just clean up the assets from the dual shock release and call it good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, that first(?) gameplay trailer where the protagonist is screaming OH gently caress OH gently caress WHAT THE gently caress WHAT made me laugh because it was just so over-done. Let the player's reactions takes precedence in horror games you jerks.

There was a trailer for a game, maybe in this thread, that took place on a space station that just got hit by a comet or something. And the "gameplay" they showed involved trying to find an oxygen pack before your oxygen ran out, and the entire time there was this loud obnoxious breathing to show how out of breath the character was. If the entire game your character was actually doing this awful heavy breathing whenever your air supply got low, I'd probably stop playing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Coming july 2017: In response to the sales of RE0 HD PC, capcom releases Resident Evil Outbreak HD File #2 PC

I don't see this as a bad thing. The Outbreak games biggest failings were because the PS2 online infrastructure was beyond god awful. They were ahead of their time, basically. Add in proper voice chat and other modern online features and tweak the controls a bit and yeah, I totally would buy it.

King Vidiot posted:

I doubt it's an HD remake, it's probably just the Gamecube version remastered in exactly the same way as REmake was. Screens will scroll for widescreen, backgrounds will have a filter, models will be cleaned up and textures will be higher-resolution, and probably also a modern 3D control scheme.

That's why we're getting Resident Evil 0 and not Resident Evil 2. RE2 would require them completely building a new game from scratch, so unless that's just a thing they were planning on doing for a while I doubt we're ever going to see it (we're not).

Eh, maybe. Capcom probably doesn't know what to do with the Resident Evil series right now. Their best selling games is an HD remaster of a game that sold like trash on the Gamecube at the time as well as the Revelations games which were low budget side stories. The last two high budget AAA games in the series, Resident Evil 5 and 6 were very poorly received by fans and critics. I could see them going back to the drawing board and working on a remake of 2 while they figure out what to do.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RentACop posted:

That's a shame, I always thought it'd be cool to have a game where you have a big area and there's a monster wandering around that you have to avoid based on its ai, and that sounded really close
That game exists, and it's called Alien: Isolation.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't realize that that new clock tower spiritual successor was even a thing that was still happening

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My pipe dream outcome of the success of RE and RE 0 HD would be Capcom making a completely original classic RE style game with those graphics. Would be perfect as a download only game for 30 bucks.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Re Outbreak 1+2 were so far ahead of their time that they were doomed to fail. But once you got them working it was a blast.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

My pipe dream outcome of the success of RE and RE 0 HD would be Capcom making a completely original classic RE style game with those graphics. Would be perfect as a download only game for 30 bucks.

Hell yeah. The re4 gameplay and onwards just doesn't compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I really want to know what SOMA actually is.