Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Last nights PC races were great. I only had one really frustrating race. Snetterton, a track I'm unfamiliar with, is very challenging with lots of off camber corners and other tricky bits so that didnt help but holy gently caress does the Mclaren 12c have some attrocious default tuning.

Also night races, at least in the dry, are just the best*

*provided you have headlights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Almost every car needs better defaults. Some are hilariously bad.

SMS would be doing themselves a favor by putting in decent defaults for all the tracks. Most people aren't going to invest time into tuning. Hell, I know how to make adjustments to the cars, and sometimes skip beyond basic stuff like tires.

Also my setups never seem to save.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The 12c is the first default tune that i thought was just bad. A couple have been poor but most seem ok if not great (most of the BMWs are good)

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

How well do you have to place in the career to keep moving forward? I'd like to set the difficulty so it's kind of hard to win, but it kind of looks like everything is based on getting 1sts all the time.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
bored as poo poo get in the chat room you pc fucklords > : (

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

njsykora posted:

I'm begging at this point for someone to offer me a contract in Formula C, I came second in the Formula Rookie world championship and my contract offers were yet another Formula Rookie season or a step down to Superkarts.

2nd place is just the 1st loser.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Gotta say, holy poo poo is this game hard on PS4. I must have restarted one of the stupid Catterham races 50 times. I also ended up giving up and turning on ABS.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Norns posted:

SMS would be doing themselves a favor by putting in decent defaults for all the tracks. Most people aren't going to invest time into tuning. Hell, I know how to make adjustments to the cars, and sometimes skip beyond basic stuff like tires.

Their setup saving (and lack of multiple saves per car/track combo) is buggy as poo poo. I spent way too long trying to get the FFB settings for Superkarts to a point where my G27 didn't feel like it was going to rattle my arms off this morning, and it seemed like every other time I made a change to the setup during a practice session it would reset everything to defaults. FFB settings, gear ratios, fuel, the works.

Also, LET'S RACE, PC PEOPLE.

Edit: Racing over (what there was of it).

Who is down for some racing this evening?

Essobie fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 25, 2015

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

This game is really frustrating sometimes. I'm racing in Gt5 and finally got the car in a good setup after it wanted to spin off after touching my brakes for a couple races. In the final race I bump up the ai and set the fastest lap in practice by 2 seconds. Then in qualifying just as I get my to my hot lap it starts a monsoon with fog. Even after restarting with wets on I'm skidding all over and the ai just zooms by, I gave up and let the ai sim my qualifying lap and he gets the pole, but of course the race is in the rain too. I didn't need to win the race to win the season but I wanted a good race for the last one. Hopefully they fix that ai weather bug.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Gotta say, holy poo poo is this game hard on PS4. I must have restarted one of the stupid Catterham races 50 times. I also ended up giving up and turning on ABS.

I had a lot of trouble with the Caterham 7 Classic. It didn't matter what I did to tune it, it drove like the tires were made of butter and the tarmac was coated in Vaseline.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I hate the Caterham 7, and I use a wheel. gently caress that car.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I will race tonight.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Is like to hop in some PC racing tonight. I'll keep my eyes out for you guys.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
could happen again if i manage to bug the gently caress out of everybody again.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

JaysonAych posted:

I had a lot of trouble with the Caterham 7 Classic. It didn't matter what I did to tune it, it drove like the tires were made of butter and the tarmac was coated in Vaseline.

Is there a good guide to tuning? Or a way to download premade tunes?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Looks like I'm out of the game until I get a new processor (currently on a Pentium G3258) and either get a new video card or get this motherboard to actually detect and use my R9 270X (until that happens wooo Intel integrated Graphics)

My old motherboard (which housed an AMD FX-8350) took a huge poo poo and is toast.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 25, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Norns posted:

So much this. Have been running 50% session lengths with 15 minute practices and have sometimes found myself having to restart one or even two times to have the car even be stable enough to reliably run laps without going off course, never mind whether or not I'm actually running competitive times once I get it stable (usually I am, but sometimes not... at which point frustration starts to rise even more than it did already from 30 to 45 minutes practicing).

I like Invitationals as a tool to try out new cars, but spending 45 minutes practicing and 10 minutes Qualifying for a 3~5 lap race (7.5~10 minutes) is awful when you take a step back and realize that if SMS had given half a gently caress about Default setups, that 15 minutes of practice should've been more than enough since it should just be personal preference tweaks to an already decent setup, not basically starting with a clean slate of terrible and having to hone it into something at least marginally driveable.

Getting to the point where I think I'm just going to start skipping non-drive-ready ones and hope they give less lovely Default setups in the future so I can do them later.

Fingers McGee posted:

This game is really frustrating sometimes. I'm racing in Gt5 and finally got the car in a good setup after it wanted to spin off after touching my brakes for a couple races. In the final race I bump up the ai and set the fastest lap in practice by 2 seconds. Then in qualifying just as I get my to my hot lap it starts a monsoon with fog. Even after restarting with wets on I'm skidding all over and the ai just zooms by, I gave up and let the ai sim my qualifying lap and he gets the pole, but of course the race is in the rain too. I didn't need to win the race to win the season but I wanted a good race for the last one. Hopefully they fix that ai weather bug.
I swear this happens like half the events I run: clear and sunny day practice, qualifying starts (an hour or two later according to the session info*) clear/light cloud but starts raining as soon as you're starting your first timed lap, and the race starts clear and then fucks you again by turning to rain halfway through. Doesn't matter if the track is in the UK, continental Europe, or in a loving desert (California tracks... haven't seen rain in Dubai yet) it happens all the time.

I got so annoyed the other night when it happened the third event in a row (including two instances of the aforementioned issues of having to restart Practice to get the car driveable [gently caress you Ford Mk.IV... almost as bad as the awful '71 Mercedes that is a gimmicky staple of goon races with Default setup]) to screw me over that I just quit out of the race (that, even in the rain, I managed to qualify fourth for), cranked the AI difficulty and session length to 0, and went in again. The first corner, as I was taking first place against the super bad AI, the AI pit-maneuvered me off the outside of the first turn and I found myself in 10th place. The second turn, a hairpin, the super bad level AI slowed down so much that I cut into the inside grass and went from 10th to first. I was over halfway to lapping cars by the end of the three lap race. Satisfaction: low. Fucks given? None because the AI being totally unaffected by weather is frustrating as poo poo. :argh:

Can you turn off dynamic weather in career? I might have to do that if possible until they fix the AI because wow does dynamic weather kill the fun when the AI runs just as fast as it being dry and there's literally nothing you can do to compete (unless you're in first and can block like a champ till the end). This is a pretty game breaking bug that 2.5 weeks on seems like it should've got hotfix attention.

* Amusing aside on session times: my upcoming Formula Rookie practice starts at 10:00 at Barcelona. The Formula A practice session on the same day also starts at 10:00 at Barcelona. I'm guessing this is just a lazy miss by SMS (like the typo in the car setup info where there's an errant "corenrs"), but a hilarious thought of Formula A's and Formula Rookies running together on partially-overlapping track layouts.

JaysonAych posted:

This seems weird to me. Even with Default controller controls when I was having a really frustrating time with the 125cc Karts, when I came to my first Invitational with the Caterham 7 it was a breath of fresh air because it was so much easier to drive than the Kart. After fixing my controls up, the Caterham 7 seems even easier to drive (so easy I turned off all the assists I normally use [ABS, TC, SC] and the HUD and it was like a pleasant Sunday drive to victory at 80 AI difficulty).

It's slow in speed and handling (protip: be very light on the turning, if you turn too far it tends to just start sliding straight ahead), but I find it one of the easiest drives in the game. It's one of those cars I've found is much like Formula Rookie though: you need to qualify well because on the track the speed differences are so minor that it's pretty much impossible to make significant headway with.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
reminder pc racing now in the steam group so ya there ya go.

edit: nevermind.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 26, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Had some close rear end racing. Also Car & Track Roulette owns.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So I'm basically sold on picking this up after I get my 970 in the next few weeks, as I've loved what little i've played on a friend's setup. Is there any word of Steam workshop support or additional cars coming later on down the line? The roster has a decent variety of stuff from what i've seen but it could really use some vintage JDM, classic muscle, or even old school Trans-Am racers.

Also, Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile is such a blast. Especially in the Zakspeed Capri :allears:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The head of SMS said that they're working up towards plussing up the car roster to 150 vehicles.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Ian Bell (head of SMS) posted this

Ian Bell posted:

OK I'll come clean. At the moment we're running at about 23FPS on the WiiU.

We're awaiting/hoping for more of a hardware announcement at E3...

quote:

Ah.... So I take it you are hoping the NX is a new home console releasing kind of soon? I fear you may be disappointed as I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Nintendo aren't going to be talking hardware at E3 this year. Just out of interest what kind resolution are you hitting 23fps on? Take it that's 720p as you have said that's the target?

Ian Bell posted:

Yes.

Honestly, unless we really cut the looks back I think we're looking to Nintendo's next console. 720p yes.

--------------------------------

We could reach a fairly solid 30FPS but it might take a hell of a lot of work. On the other hand, about halfway through us finishing, Nintendo might announce a new console (I have zero knowledge on this BTW but I've heard 'rumours'). Our work might just be the best thing that ever hit that new console in the driving sim genre.

So we're playing a waiting game at the moment and yes, economics do come in to it.

lol

Basticle fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 26, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Is anyone surprised?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I wanted to race tonight but then Deathstorm hit Houston. Power just came back on.

Arrrrrgh

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How the heck do you switch to wet tires in the middle of a drive?

I've spent the weekend coming to grips with the driving in this sim, but that's the one thing I haven't been able to figure out. I get that little menu of options and the top one allows me to create a profile to specify wet tires, which I do, then save it, but it never actually puts wet tires on my car? Dude just cruises through the pits and never stops.

In free practice it seems like the only way to actually put wet tires on the vehicle is to 'exit to pit.'

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Norns posted:

Is anyone surprised?

I am surprised.

Surprised that they're putting this much effort into porting Project CARS to a console whose (generalisation alert) demographic wants Mario and Zelda games.
Honestly, the Wii U is the last platform in the world on which I'd expect to see a 'serious' game.

Also, the Caterham 7 Classic owns loving bones. It's one of the cars that, when I used a wheel, was the most fun to drive. Hosted a 30 lap race on Monza with it and just kept pushing harder to find its limits.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Hello Spaceman posted:

I am surprised.

Surprised that they're putting this much effort into porting Project CARS to a console whose (generalisation alert) demographic wants Mario and Zelda games.
Honestly, the Wii U is the last platform in the world on which I'd expect to see a 'serious' game.

Also, the Caterham 7 Classic owns loving bones. It's one of the cars that, when I used a wheel, was the most fun to drive. Hosted a 30 lap race on Monza with it and just kept pushing harder to find its limits.
In all honesty it would be cheaper and easier for SMS to buy a PS4 or PC for every Wii U user who really wants Project CARS.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I also enjoy the caterham 7 classic, it's a lot of fun to try to wring every last bit of performance out of.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Diffrent strokes. gently caress that car.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I did an invitational with the Caterham, thinking it would be ridiculous and crash a lot, but wound up having a lot of fun with it.

Now the McLarens... They just want you to die. I've tried tuning one of them a bit and it still wants to kill me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

See. This is what I don't get. Everyone else says they have issues with the McLarens, but they are a blast for me. Then they say they love the Caterhams, but I hate them.

Makes no drat sense.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I love the Caterham R500, a souped up version of the 7.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

See. This is what I don't get. Everyone else says they have issues with the McLarens, but they are a blast for me. Then they say they love the Caterhams, but I hate them.

Makes no drat sense.

Its because we enjoy the superkart.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I love the Caterham R500, a souped up version of the 7.

I can barely control the 7 so a more powerful version is a terrifying concept.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I can not drive the mclaren f1 with a controller. It's just so frustrating. I can drive pretty much everything else I've tried with the controller, but the mclaren, even after the tires warm up is just a huge mess.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

McLarens out of the box (for me, anyway) are supremely squirrely and a bit unpredictable.

The Caterham is slippery, but it's not prone to wheelspin like the McLarens, I think. I can handle the Caterham understeering and sliding, but I need to do more work to get the Mc going properly fast.

Also still trying to find a decent wheel for around $100, there are lots of Driving Force GTs on Ebay, but they're all running $150 when you factor in shipping. Ugh.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

[I think mode of control and how well the control settings are set up probably affects how you like a car. For example we drove the Mugen Atom (the one with the least power) last night and i like it but everypne else hated it.

But Mostly:

Norns posted:

Diffrent strokes.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So starting from the tier 8 in the career, how long until you move up from Karts to Superkarts and such? I keep getting invite events for the McClaren F1, BMW M1 Historical, Caterham 7, etc but nothing as far as scouts for a different team or higher tier motorsport. At this rate, I won't be at Tier 1 until next year, and I am doing races at like 30% length. I spend more time in practice and qualifying then the actual race.

I agree about the comment made earlier how most all other sim games seem to emulate realism by making everything more slippery. It was always mind boggling how you can make a turn at 30mph and sequel all 4 tires while sliding which was not even a thing my beater Saturn would do let alone a sport/supercar. Project Cars seems much closer to realism from my limited race experience and road going fun. I just can't wait till more cars make it in because I love my road cars.

As far as some of the Invitational cars go, the McClaren F1 I finally went from wrestling to control, to absolute loving. It reminded me a lot of the tuning and handling of the Nissan NSX in the GT5 Prologue game as it was the #1 car to drive in the online races in the class it was available in. That mid engine makes for some tricky driving, but once you wrap your head around it, it can flow quite well around the track and even the AI on 100% wasn't able to catch me.

The BMW M1 was a complete different beast. Not quite as top speed fast, but grip for days and no mid engine feel makes that car a blast to just blitz around the tracks. The AI does give me a bit more of a challenge though but it makes for some good racing.

The Caterham 7 is a whole new level of goofy fun. Not "fast" and I understand the others saying it feels like you are racing on Ice the whole time, from what I can tell it feels like a mixture of light weight rear end mixed with no limited slip and small tires. Off the gas you can get it to follow a line smoothly, but the minute you add too much gas the car just loves to drift around turns like mad. It is a car you really have to modulate the throttle to get it going the direction you want without losing too much momentum.

So far though, it is all about learning the tracks, finding the line, and getting accustomed to the car. So far none of the cars feel just the same, each one has its own unique feel, handling, and power curve and I love it. If this is how Forza 4/5 could feel with a wheel, I freaking need to get a wheel for those soon as a gamepad just doesn't give you anywhere close to the level of feedback and feel to really know the car.

On a note of game bugs, does anyone else with a FFB wheel or a G25/27 notice how if you are racing a series for a while (Practice/Qualify/Race) without going back to the menu, notice your FFB goes from smooth to a wobbly mess until you go back to the Menu, then enter a race again? It only happens after a long stint, but it feels like I have square tires anytime I turn the wheel and get the usual feedback that should be smooth.

Also not surprised about the WiiU, however looking at comments way back when they first said they would be delayed on that, there seemed to be quite a vocal market talking about how they wanted it and were waiting for it. That was a bit surprising as you don't expect that to be a market for hardcore race sims. Maybe the idea of a 720P game at Grid 1 level of graphics detail might still be worth releasing before the next hardware makes it out. As long as the game plays and feels the same?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I can not drive the mclaren f1 with a controller. It's just so frustrating. I can drive pretty much everything else I've tried with the controller, but the mclaren, even after the tires warm up is just a huge mess.
The McLaren F1 was the first, but certainly not the last, car I came across through the career that is quite hard to drive with controller. It kind of makes me wish they had throttle speed sensitivity (like they have the speed sensitivity for steering) that makes the throttle less responsive at lower speeds (and not at higher speeds where wheelspin isn't much of an issue) because I think the dexterity of my fingers can only managed ~4 proper acceleration positions on the trigger and you're in trouble when the "just barely pressing" option is causing you to spin round accelerating out of corners (even with TC on... at default levels).

The latest beast I found was the '86 Lotus Indy Car with 900 BHP all to the rear wheels (I understand why previously this thread said it was undriveable). It took some setup working, but I made it driveable and it's a really fun and cool car. It's also a pretty intense Invitational, weighing in at seven events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Which Lotus only moves forward, and at the speed of loving sound, only in boost range? That was one a nightmare.

• Locked thread