Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Optimus Subprime posted:

So I've been watching the show and enjoying it, but it still hasn't been clearly spelled out how isolated Hellsalem's Lot is to the surrounding world. Can someone explain to me what the state of the city is?

It isn't really isolated, it even has a tourism industry, there's just only certain safe points of entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

You just can't go in willy nilly or a Cthulhu tentacle will get you though, right?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Optimus Subprime posted:

You just can't go in willy nilly or a Cthulhu tentacle will get you though, right?

Correct

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Optimus Subprime posted:

Pretty much, as far as we've been shown. It's not as if it's totally cut off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a single bridge into the city, observed by two beings from Beyond that despise eachother. They spend their days in one-up-manship observing everything that crosses said bridge, which is why that drug getting beyond the Barrier was such a huge thing - neither can be bribed or coerced because all they care about is besting the other. The rest of the city's surrounded by The Gap, with those bigass tentacles swatting down anything that comes by air near the city.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a single bridge into the city, observed by two beings from Beyond that despise eachother. They spend their days in one-up-manship observing everything that crosses said bridge, which is why that drug getting beyond the Barrier was such a huge thing - neither can be bribed or coerced because all they care about is besting the other. The rest of the city's surrounded by The Gap, with those bigass tentacles swatting down anything that comes by air near the city.

I guess they might explain this next episode with not-abe sapien coming in by plane.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Optimus Subprime posted:

I guess they might explain this next episode with not-abe sapien coming in by plane.

You actually see the tentacles swat poo poo down in the documentary at the start of the last episode. But yeah, the reason's everyone's getting all excited and headed for a good view instead of shelter is because they all know exactly what's gonna happen when the plane gets too close to the city :munch:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I love Chain, her stepping on Zapp's fat boi stomach was just hilarious.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Chain is the best and I hope she gets more to do.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

I think you meant KK there.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
KK is cool but Chain is dapper as gently caress.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Sakurazuka posted:

How does this show look so consistently amazing?

its the power of rie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dangerous Person posted:

It's a shame neither of the stories featuring her are in the anime, because both are really good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a shame neither of the stories featuring her are in the anime, because both are really good.

Hmm--It can't really be helped as it looks to be a short(er) series unless it's secretly a 2 cour show. That said I still want to see her get a side story episode before it ends.

BTW: Are there more members of Libra like X-men or just a focus in the NY branch?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alder posted:

Hmm--It can't really be helped as it looks to be a short(er) series unless it's secretly a 2 cour show. That said I still want to see her get a side story episode before it ends.

BTW: Are there more members of Libra like X-men or just a focus in the NY branch?

Well, Libra exists to prevent horrible poo poo happening in the dimensional intersection of Hellsalem's Lot, so I'd assume most of its resources are concentrated there.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's only one Jerusalem's Lot, so there's only one branch of Libra. They do have associates scattered around though, like Lucky or the other Reinhertz butlers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Libra's an ancient secretive worldwide organization dedicated to hunting Bloodbreeds (ie; Vampires), and what makes them so scary in Hellsalem's Lot is nobody has any idea just how big it is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The big party a few episodes back was all Libra members. They're all over the city but Klaus cell in particular is smaller. There's a bunch of other weirdos off having their own adventures simultaneously.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

The big party a few episodes back was all Libra members. They're all over the city but Klaus cell in particular is smaller. There's a bunch of other weirdos off having their own adventures simultaneously.

It'd be cool if there were some side stories about those other guys and their adventures.

Are there?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

It'd be cool if there were some side stories about those other guys and their adventures.

Are there?

Nope, all you get is the main office.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, Libra exists to prevent horrible poo poo happening in the dimensional intersection of Hellsalem's Lot, so I'd assume most of its resources are concentrated there.

Hmm I see. I read the first vol of BBB and it's different. I want to say I prefer the anime adaptation as it's still chaotic but flows better compared to the manga. Nevertheless it'll be moved to my To-Read list ASAP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alder posted:

Hmm I see. I read the first vol of BBB and it's different. I want to say I prefer the anime adaptation as it's still chaotic but flows better compared to the manga. Nevertheless it'll be moved to my To-Read list ASAP.

The anime is really, really good, but it hasn't done a good job of choosing what to cut and what to keep with the extra details the manga had. Most of it's just relatively unnecessary trivia and sidenote stuff, but a few bits have been important.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Are there?

Chain is part of a larger group of 20 something ladies who are also invisible werewolves and they do missions together sometime.

Afterwards they all get mega drunk and the last time it happened they cleaned out the entire cellar of the restaurant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

Chain is part of a larger group of 20 something ladies who are also invisible werewolves and they do missions together sometime.

Afterwards they all get mega drunk and the last time it happened they cleaned out the entire cellar of the restaurant.

To be fair I don't think the Werewolves are actually a Libra division, they're just their own organization. Chain being a member of Libra is her own side-job.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair I don't think the Werewolves are actually a Libra division, they're just their own organization. Chain being a member of Libra is her own side-job.

I like to think that they're all members of Libra but of different cells, so each group of Libra has its own Chain no matter what.

Universal constants.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

I like to think that they're all members of Libra but of different cells, so each group of Libra has its own Chain no matter what.

Universal constants.

I think you're forgetting how the Invisible Werewolves work. There would be many and they are all one and the same Chain :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I would read a spin-off manga based on this idea alone. Also how do invisible werewolves work exactly? Do they turn into monsters which are ... invisible? It looks similar to super strength/agility but that seems kinda bland considering everything going on.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alder posted:

I would read a spin-off manga based on this idea alone. Also how do invisible werewolves work exactly? Do they turn into monsters which are ... invisible? It looks similar to super strength/agility but that seems kinda bland considering everything going on.

They basically tune themselves out of existence and have to hang on by some obsession of theirs. The jury remains out on the werewolf part.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm quite enjoying how the nearly world-ending events are just an excuse to introduce a new character. Again, a lot of the sound seemed a bit lacking, but this show is just getting progressively better and better.
I really hope they do a remastering of the sound on the blu-rays though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wasn't really a fan of this one. It just felt like they rushed the actual story to make time for an over-long exposition dump that was way longer than it needed to be. Seeing as it looks like next week's might be two stories folded into one episode, they really should've just folded Lunge! Launch! Lunch!! into the second half of this episode.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally caught up after falling behind for a few weeks.

I'm still enjoying the show, but can't help but feel they're not making the most of their cast. Of course, this is well beyond the point I read up to in the manga, so it's possible it's Nightow's failing as well. Chain and K.K. have been mostly background characters, though at least Chain gets a lot of opportunities to sass Zap (who I kinda feel we get too much of). Stephen's almost down there himself. Meanwhile, Klaus' butler might as well be furniture, and Patrick and Neyka might well not exist. Patrick got a couple small scenes in the manga, but all of them have been cut so far except for his single appearance at the big Libra get-together, which makes keeping that one scene (of all scenes) kinda weird. As for Nekya, I looked her up and was surprised to see she even had a voice actress since I don't think I've heard her speak once. I get that these guys are the background movers and shakers of Libra and not front line personnel , but when their only appearance to date has been them not doing their jobs, it raises the question of why even include them at all.

On a similar note, not really a fan of how the Blood Breeds seem more like plot devices than characters, but that's just me. I like it when a show like this has memorable bad guys, but BBB hasn't delivered on that front as much as I would've liked. Blank in particular is kinda boring. I'd rather they'd just written Femt a bigger part.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Honestly Femt's been far too normal and dry since the first episode. He's the King of Depravity, after all.

K.K. and Starphase are the worst off for panel time in the manga, with both only getting a minor story to themselves each (though Starphase's had some interesting plot hooks which haven't been mentioned since :sigh:). Chain's faired slightly better, and gets a full-blown action-packed story focused around her in one of the later volumes on top of her section of Day In, Day Out. Klaus' butler also got a full-blown story to himself where he utterly wrecks poo poo, but it got passed over.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if I should be rooting for the doom of Black and White given their traitorous inclinations against Leo. They should be offed, just to teach him some lesson.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

I haven't read the manga, but as I understand it, the White and Black storyline doesn't exist right? I kind of wish they weren't such a focus on the storyline because the actual members of Libra seem way more interesting.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wasn't really a fan of this one. It just felt like they rushed the actual story to make time for an over-long exposition dump that was way longer than it needed to be. Seeing as it looks like next week's might be two stories folded into one episode, they really should've just folded Lunge! Launch! Lunch!! into the second half of this episode.

Yeah, this episode felt like a mess. I know what happened, more or less, I just can't figure out the how part.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I haven't read the manga, but as I understand it, the White and Black storyline doesn't exist right? I kind of wish they weren't such a focus on the storyline because the actual members of Libra seem way more interesting.

It's been said a bunch of times in the thread that the Black and White storyline is original.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

I just want to them show what it actually means to be an invisible werewolf.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I'm actually really enjoying the Black and White storyline even though it wasn't in the manga. It gives the show some continuity, which I think anime tends to need a little more than manga.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Optimus Subprime posted:

I just want to them show what it actually means to be an invisible werewolf.

The manga explains how it works in a story centered around Chain.

If you want to know; The Invisible Werewolves write themselves out of existence. They aren't invisible, just that for all intents and purposes they aren't actually there. They are all insane enough to hold on to the briefest shred of reality, and if they gently caress up at the deepest fraction of existing they never will have existed. All of them have a secret cypher kept in their Boss' safe that lists The One Thing they will each absolutely 100% come back for.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if I should be rooting for the doom of Black and White given their traitorous inclinations against Leo. They should be offed, just to teach him some lesson.

please don't be so angry at anime characters, all things must happen for a narrative reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The anime original stuff gets less and less interesting to me every episode.

• Locked thread