Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, those art design pages for Reila are just ridiculous. "She can't close her jacket, tits too big."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Seriously it only took one sentence to get back on the breast size discussion train?

These artists are pretty awful people.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tae posted:

So I need a new page, but all I have are horrible reminders that the artist is still obsessed with breast ratio.

You know, it's not even that I'm surprised about that--what surprises me is just how open the art team seems to be about that. Like I figured that would be something they'd deny and be like "Oh no, that just happened to be the design we settled on because..." but no, they are incredibly honest about it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

artist is still obsessed with breast

Did I already make a Valkyrie joke?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Oh no, not the breasts, I'm melting

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

If you didn't get the hints already, the militia we're supporting is Eleanor's unit. Squad 7 is part of this, and this meeting takes place shortly after Operation Cloudburst.

I am the captain of Squad 422, number 7. Can you debrief me on the current situation?
As of now, there's a large group of Imperials facing my troops. We're currently holding the line here. Failing to protect this place will give the Imperials another path to retake Vasel bridge.
So we must absolutely not lose this position! However, because HQ is too busy trying to mount a counterattack, our situation's been largely ignored.

To put it simply, yes. Our forces are at a disadvantage, but there's a small chance for us. Although the enemy seems large, their attacks are weak and show signs of fatigue.
If only HQ would send more reinforcements. Without them, we're giving the enemy time to rest and resupply. It's a total embarrassment!
I understand the situation. We'll help break the stalemate.
Oh?

They're unfamiliar with Gallian geography, so they're on constant edge for ambushes.
Guerilla tactics, you mean.
The enemy is surrounded by forest. If we go around, it should be possible to attack their flank.
Wait. Are you planning to rout them with just a single unit?
No, this isn't a true offensive. Just a feint.

A frontal assault? No...our forces have been on the defensive this entire time.
Suddenly switching to the offensive would raise the flag that your attack is a feint.
Then we'll just have to make the feint really explosive. The Imperial army has the advantage, so normally there's no need to take risks and fight a dangerous battle.
However, if the commander thinks it's a surprise attack, then he'll call a retreat.
The theory certainly makes sense, but what if it's seen through?

Hmm...
Understood. Your mission is approved.

Please rendezvous at the designated area, and cooperate for a successful operation.
Understood. We'll prepare to leave immediately.

*The Nameless leave*

I've heard that the Nameless was a squad dispatched to take the bullet for others....but the real thing seems to be more than that...

So we got branching paths again, with the only twist being that they give out a second chance to get an enemy ace weapon you missed. B Branch gives the rifle, while A branch gives the machine gun. You can't get a second copy of it, so don't bother killing the aces if you already got both of them.

I took the B branch because whatever, it's nighttime Arlem. The big, new thing in VC3 are those orange areas called Livefire. If you step on it, mortar starts firing on you immediately. The damage isn't too bad to infantry (like 4-5 hits to kill a Scout), but it absolutely destroys an APC in seconds.

While we were killing enemies on our side, Eleanor's unit took care of business on the A branch. Now it's time to eliminate one more squad before meeting up at the rendezvous point.

The map's another forest area variation, except it's at night.

The enemy ace this time is a tank, but Guilio's own ace weapon is accurate enough to take it down from max range.

Eh, it's a slightly better mortar canon but mortars suck for the most part. However, Kurt just became the first to promote which should make battles a bit easier.

By the way, that snazzy looted gatling turret is strong enough to kill tank blue butts, so currently our APC can kill tanks. It's pretty cool.

Isara's still alive. This is real early in VC1.

Black military uniform....That must be the 422nd unit that Captain Varrot told us about.
It's an unusual military uniform, isn't it?
I feel like they're different from the Regular Army and the Militia. Just who are they?
Well, they did come up with this plan. They must be incredible people.

Nice to meet you.
Captain of the 422nd unit, number 7. Pleased to meet you as well.
7? What an odd name.
It's not a name, just a number. Our unit doesn't exist in actual military records.
You don't exist? Are you like chameleons?
Welkin! Stop being so rash!

Blending into the natural world, disappearing from existence, it's incredible! They're amazing creatures.
Ah, except they can't change their colors into all white or black as these colors don't exist in nature....
...Is he all right?

Without realizing it, he somehow starts going on about nature and animals....
Sorry about that. When our Commander gets started on animals, he just can't shut his face.
Sorry, force of habit. Let's begin the operation now.
Please do so....

*thinks* He looks easygoing, but his squad got here earlier than us. He's no ordinary man, that's for sure.

*A moment later*

We'll launch a signal flare for the 3rd battalion.
Then we should prepare a time and place for the signal.
My suggestion is to split up into two groups and launch flares from two different locations.
No. If you fire off two flares, then the enemy will become suspicious.
Then how about splitting into two teams. One team shoots the flare while the other attacks the enemy?
Yes, that sounds good. The most important part is synchronizing our parts for the operation.

Although they can only be seen in the summer...
Welkin! Again with the insect stories!
Oh, I used to raise gun beetles!
13, don't encourage him.
Second Lt. Gunther, let's continue planning this operation.

We think it's a small squadron.
This is bad. We don't have time to conceal ourselves.
Second Lt. Gunther, we should prepare for combat.
Yes. We'll continue this later.

*Moments later*

The enemy approaching is definitely Imperial, but they seem a little different.
Has the enemy spotted us yet?
Not yet. They're still on the move while we're camped here. But the strange thing is, the enemy is approaching from the south.
The south? They're not a recon unit from the northern forces?
It's probably a different squad. Either way, if we don't take care of them, it's going to be disastrous.
Then we'll eliminate them before the main forces figure out we're here! Prepare for combat!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

You know we just saw them in the previous game, but it feel like we just met up with some old friends we haven't seen in A while.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I must insist that you name your tank Kurt.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Just name it Gusurg.
You're selecting Gusurg, who's driving the tank, so might as well bring that in line with how it displays the footsoldiers you select.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Name it Zero. It's a member of the Nameless too, after all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Night10194 posted:

Man, those art design pages for Reila are just ridiculous. "She can't close her jacket, tits too big."

I will concede that this is an actual problem my wife has to deal with.

I will be amused if Reila complains about back problems from her too-big-tits.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Their numbers are unknown. What should we do?
A Gallian squad...are they must be planning to attack our allies' flank? Interesting. Let's engage them.
Shouldn't we notify our allies in the north?
We're on a covert mission. Our presence should be hidden even from our allies. Furthermore, they're quite far from us, so let's try to take care of them quietly.
Roger that, Captain Dahau.
All units, prepare for combat! Our objective is the Gallian unit in front of us.

*Back to the Gallian forces*

*Explosions heard from afar*

The enemy has already begun their attack!
Tch! Despite spotting them first, they've already seized the initiative!

They're fast!
Looks like this squad needs to improve its response time...

The Imperial persecution of Darcsens is supposed to be even worse than Gallia. Just what is that squad?
Put that thought on hold! All units, prepare for combat!

So we're facing...Imperial Darcsens. That's certainly a new one, and suddenly makes the Darcsen Bond Potentials kinda poo poo since they'll buff the enemies. This Darcsen squad even has their own black icon to separate themselves from the rest of the board.

On a side-note, Calamity Raven is the most ironic name ever in context. That's like having a German All-Jew squad in WW2 called the Holocaust Eagles or something.

Well good and bad news. Good news, Squad 7 is going to help us on this operation, bad news is our own vehicle is unavailable which means no transporting or ladder construction. Mission is to take 3 bases across multiple maps.

The Nameless start on one map, while Squad 7 starts in apparently the right flank.

*Over radio* Number 7, can you hear me? We're all ready on this side. We can start at any time. When you're ready, send a signal!
*Thinks* The mission's already started. Any more delays will put us in a deeper hole.
*Over radio* The tank isn't ready, but we don't have time. Move out! Second Lieutenant Gunther has begun his attack, along with Squad 422.
*Over radio* Understood. The enemy flank is located here. Begin the bombardment!
*Over radio* Acknowledged!

Second Lieutenant Gunther immediately took charge of this operation. He's quite the commander.

So let's check to see what Squad 7 is like in VC3 land.

Strong-Willed: Halves interception fire.
Big Sister: Increase anti-infantry when near allies.
Power of Song: Increase anti-infantry when near allies.
Desert Allergy: Drains HP over time while on sand.

Rosie's Choker gives +10 accuracy/evade.

Country Bred: Earthy terrain increases accuracy/anti-infantry.
Born Leader: Increase defense when near 3+ allies.
Panicky: Interception fire reduces anti-infantry.
Rosie Hater: Decrease anti-infantry if Rosie is nearby.

Idol Ribbon gives +5 Evade/anti-infantry, +10 anti-armor.

Compassionate: Fully restore HP when it falls to zero.
Camaraderie: Increase evasion when near units of same class.
Veggie Maniac: Increase anti-infantry/armor when on top of soil/grass/sand.
Child of Nature: Increase defense when on top of stone.

Largo's Veggies give +30 HP.

Maternal: Increase evasion when next to allies.
Baker: Increase anti-infantry when on stony terrain.
Mysterious Body: Fully recover HP after attacking.
Pouting: Decrease anti-infantry under interception fire.

Alicia's Scarf gives +10 accuracy, +5 evade.

Nature Lover: Soil/grass/sand increase defense.
Big-Hearted: Evasion/defense increases when close to enemies.
Sibling Ties: Increase accuracy/defense when near Isara.
Curious Mind: Decrease evasion when new enemies are seen.

So overall, a stacked team. Welkin will be the most important member because he's the only vehicle available.

The Edelweiss is basically the equivalent of a heavy tank, being immune to small mines damage and tank fire scratches it at best. This mission is full of tanks, which is troubling because the only other method to 2-shot tanks is using the enemy ace Lancer weapon via side-shots.

5 turns to S rank this is rough, because a majority of your time is getting this map conquered at a reasonable time.

This map is slightly easier on the Nameless side because there's only 1 tank and few troops despite attacking head on.

Many tanks, an enemy ace, and turns later....

Seriously, a lot of turns later because heavy tanks have poo poo AP and there's two tanks on this map.

Finally, we get to the last map and camp to capture.

Ah, it seems like the enemy has flanked us.
Begin targeting the area with bombardment!
Firing artillery in a forest is different than on an open battlefield.
Especially on enemies so pathetic and aimless. If only I could fight a worthy foe.
Yes, commander. Worthy foes would raise our reputation high!
...Yes, of course. The operation has begun. Don't get nervous now.

So if you didn't realize, this mission is a difficulty spike like the first time we met V2's back in VC2. The Calamity Ravens are just tougher and stronger than most troops so far, and Dahau is incredibly deadly by himself.

Edelweiss, who barely takes a blip from tanks, is almost dead from 2 shots off Dahau's lancer rockets.

Luckily, Serge came through and put two bullets into Dahau's head and end the biggest threat of the mission.

Something that I was told about Kurt's Direct Command is that it automatically goes to a high AP (Scout-like), regardless of AP fatigue. Also, classes like Lancers and Snipers that normally can't co-op fire on attacks.

Of course, Giulio missed so not exactly the best example here.

I took it slow, but I got the enemy ace which is all that really matters.

The ZM-SGX is the first ace weapon that isn't an upgrade, unless you really want your sniper to be a bad Lancer.

Also forgot, Troop Veterans aren't super special like their VC2 counterparts with extra grenades. They're just tougher.

No, if you didn't get their attention, then we wouldn't be able to hit their flank.
If it was just either of our squads by ourselves, we'd be toast.
Your unit was able to take advantage of the situation quickly. It was incredible.
That's just because I have so many reliable comrades. Having that is better than any praise I get.
What do you mean?
Comrades brought together by a shared feeling to protect our country, regardless of class, age, and race.
There's also a lot of fighting as well, but it's the kind of fighting that they say comes from getting along so well.
Hey, we're not fighting anymore. Nowadays it's just to vent at friends.

Is that so? I'll keep that in mind.
By the way, Number 7, are you going to tell me your real name?
That's classified information. It would only get you into trouble if you knew.
It's a pretty strict squad, huh?
It's certainly not a place to spend your life in, I'll tell you that.
I see. Well then, let's get back to that operation of ours. Shall we?
After you.

*Meanwhile*

But then it would be quite a boring war.
Captain Dahau, should we contact the main forces?
It's not necessary. The proud Imperial soldiers receiving aid from Darcsens would take it as an insult.
Let's return to base.
Sir!

*Back to the Gallians*

*Flares fired*

Leave it to me!
Graaaaaaaaaaah!
Take this!
I'm not losing to you, Rosie!

*Multiple explosions pepper the Imperials*

We confirm gunfire! There's enemy units in both directions.

*Gallian army charges*

A pincer attack?!
Commander! Your orders!
Damnit! Call the retreat! We don't need to fight them here! Fall back to the east, the Gallians won't pursue us that far!

*After the battle*

Do not chase them! Keep your distance as you pursue!
Yes, ma'am! *leaves*
The deadlock is over....In any case, that captain who called himself 7....
For him to quickly propose this dangerous mission and actually pull it off....
Thanking a number just isn't the same as a name, is it?

The Imperial army gathered forces at the central front for a counterattack, was stopped in its tracks by the Gallian army. Their defensive line prevented the Imperials from running through the country.

This was the moment when the tides swung in favor of Gallia....

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Dahau is a lot like Baldren in VC2 on the field - he'll shred through pretty much anything besides a tank during the player phase and can take out lighter tanks on his turn easily. The whole Calamity Raven group is way stronger than previous foes and this is probably one of the hardest missions in the game to S rank on your first try.

Also, I'm pretty sure Darcsen Bond is a purely beneficial potential - what it should actually read is "This unit's defense is boosted when near any Darcsen, friend or foe", while Darcsen Hater can also proc with its negative effect even near enemy Darcsen. It's a small but neat little detail.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Oh Dahau...Not only does he automatically switch to his machine gun on the player phase so he's always laying down interception fire, but his lancer gun has almost aimbot levels of accuracy, hitting people across the battlefield.

Also, when most enemies will take a single turn during the enemy phase, he'll take multiple turns in a row, firing at the same target repeatedly. And from personal experience dropping mortars right on his smug face, he seems to have a Lancer's explosive protection, eating rockets with barely a blip on his health bar. As you demonstrated, sniping's the way to go with that guy.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 26, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Blastinus posted:

Oh Dahau...Not only does he automatically switch to his machine gun on the player phase so he's always laying down interception fire, but his lancer gun has almost aimbot levels of accuracy, hitting people across the battlefield.

Also, when most enemies will take a single turn during the enemy phase, he'll take multiple turns in a row, firing at the same target repeatedly. And from personal experience dropping mortars right on his smug face, he seems to have a Lancer's explosive protection, eating rockets with barely a blip on his health bar. As you demonstrated, sniping's the way to go with that guy.
Yeah, that's another thing. Dahau will move two or three times in a row at the start of his phases. You really want to take him out as fast as possible.

I dunno if he has the explosion shielding (as a note - Lancers actually lost that in VC3, so you can't jump on mines to blast yourself twenty feet for no AP anymore :v:) but he's incredibly dodgy, so he might have just been dodging explosions for minimal damage (no don't ask how).

e: oh, one other thing about Dahau. His battle theme is kickass.

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 26, 2015

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Tae posted:

On a side-note, Calamity Raven is the most ironic name ever in context. That's like having a German All-Jew squad in WW2 called the Holocaust Eagles or something.
The Calamity is something the Darcsens were blamed for, not something that was done to them. It'd be more like a German All-Jew squad called Jesuskiller Crow.

I had a warm fuzzy glow of nostalgia seeing Squad 7 back in action again. But how does Welkin's Sibling Ties potential work, considering both Welkin and Isara are in the Edelweiss?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I'm interested in seeing what other roles Squad 7 has in this game. It was nice to see them again, but I'm a little worried that they might become overused in the game.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Inferior posted:

The Calamity is something the Darcsens were blamed for, not something that was done to them. It'd be more like a German All-Jew squad called Jesuskiller Crow.

I had a warm fuzzy glow of nostalgia seeing Squad 7 back in action again. But how does Welkin's Sibling Ties potential work, considering both Welkin and Isara are in the Edelweiss?

If you look at the profiles carefully they also list Isara in Welkin's friends list, and other characters we don't have access to here: Jann, Homer, and Eleanor (Varott):
pretty sure she is unlockable as a post-game character.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

It's not necessary. The proud Imperial soldiers receiving aid from Darcsens would take it as an insult.
Let's return to base.

"Good luck shitheads! Hah!"

I like this guy.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

moosecow333 posted:

I'm interested in seeing what other roles Squad 7 has in this game. It was nice to see them again, but I'm a little worried that they might become overused in the game.

Don't worry, you spend most of the game jumping from cameo to cameo like anime Forrest Gump.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I like a couple of things about this scene, like how Kurt was immediately tired of Welkin.

Also as Gusurg mentioned, the Imperials like the Darscen even less than the Gallians do. So basically The Nameless (and I guess militia) vs. Calamity Raven is like an entertaining sideshow for the main powers in the conflict.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Wow, the "Calamity Ravens" is one thing, but if it's not somehow just a coincidence, that is an extraordinarily tasteless name for the leader of the jew squad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

King of Bleh posted:

Wow, the "Calamity Ravens" is one thing, but if it's not somehow just a coincidence, that is an extraordinarily tasteless name for the leader of the jew squad.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be the Imperial counterpart of the Nameless: a squad of soldiers who everyone else hates, and get sent on suicide missions because the army doesn't care if a bunch of Darcsens die. So... it's probably meant to be tasteless.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

King of Bleh posted:

"Calamity Raven" probably got invented by the following thought process: "Those fuckers think we blew everything up in the past, despite a complete lack of substantial evidence, so let's own it! But we can't just call ourselves "The Calamity", that's not really informative. Let's go with "Raven", it's the color of our hair which is one of the reasons those fuckers hate us and it's an intelligent animal!"

As far as "Dahau" being one letter away from a concentration camp, I got nothin'.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

"Calamity Raven" probably got invented by the following thought process: "Those fuckers think we blew everything up in the past, despite a complete lack of substantial evidence, so let's own it! But we can't just call ourselves "The Calamity", that's not really informative. Let's go with "Raven", it's the color of our hair which is one of the reasons those fuckers hate us and it's an intelligent animal!"

As far as "Dahau" being one letter away from a concentration camp, I got nothin'.

Raven/Crow could also be the scavenger bird symbolism, especially with how the birds descend on a battle's aftermath.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So this is a good time to introduce Character Fragments, this game's version of classmate missions. This is mainly because there's a 2 month gap between the Squad 7 operation and the next chapter.

Fragments are handled differently than other games like VC2 or Fire Emblem, in that you unlock the whole sidestory at once (Barring a couple exceptions). They're accessed by going to the game map and pressing the right/left triggers. To unlock them, just use a character 35 times.

There's also DLC like Kurt's First Battle but that's all Japanese, so not that interesting to show.

Hm? What's this?
It's fish. Are these army rations?
It's a special treat. I just happen to find some good ingredients today.
This is sauteed fuji fish. Despite being a river fish, there's no muddy taste. Just add some broth seasoning, some herbs and then roast. It's a delicious dish.
Wow, smells great! I can't wait to dig in!
Mmm, it really does smell great. Did you really make this, Giulio?
Yep! Eat as much as you want guys, cause these fishies only come up at this time of year.

I didn't expect such a gourmet cuisine in the middle of war.
But...when did you find time to go fishing?
I actually slipped out last night and went to the riverbank.
Giulio, be careful! It'd be all over if the captain finds out!
Sorry, I just wanted everyone to taste this season's special fuji fish.
If I get caught, so be it.
Why all the passion for cooking?

That's a bit excessive for an army chef.
Did you work at a fancy restaurant before this?
Nah, I just traveled all over Gallia in order to research all sorts of foods. I hope to someday travel around the world as well.
Hard to do now with a war going on, and all.
Right.
Eh?
Mm? What's wrong, Amy?
The food is good, yet 56 isn't eating
He isn't?
Yeah, he hasn't taken a bite.
Huh. Hey, 56!

Why so quiet? Come over here and enjoy the food! I promise it's my best work, yet!
Don't mind me.
Oh come on, don't say it like that! Try a little bite! Everyone else loves it! Just a small taste.
Just a bite?
Yeah, sure!

*A moment passes*

In the end, it's just food.
Hah hah...okay, now I get it.
What are you laughing about?
Nothing. I just remembered something important. Everyone has different tastes, right?
I think that's the most important thing to realize as a chef.
...Whatever you say.

What?
I forgot to ask you what you think of my food. How'd you like the sauteed Fuji fish?
...Go away.
Don't say that. Come on, this is important to me.
Sorry. My tongue is dull.
Now, now. Let's be critical here.

Hmm...I see. Do Darcsens generally prefer less salt, then?
Are you interested in the kinds of food Darcsens eat?
Food is food, and Darcsen cuisine has its own style that interests me.
After all, cooking is something I bet my life on.

That's right, I never did say how I got here. Have you heard of Black Diamond?
Isn't that a high quality cooking ingredient? That's all I know.
That's right! Black Diamonds are the eggs of the horned shark.
It was believed that it would balance your yin and yang, a panacea if you will. It was quite a precious commodity.
However. there's been a steep drop in the number of horned sharks captured, which has sky-rocketed prices. It's become so rare that it's thought of as a dream ingredient.

Don't tell me....
Right! I snuck into the warehouse and took some.
Ordinary soldiers don't get to eat anything decent, but this school gets to taste divinity. Unfair, if you asked me.
As I always say, you're not a real chef if you don't go for the best taste. The allure of the dream ingredient was worth it by itself.

Sent to a penal squad for stealing fancy ingredients. Are you a moron?
Haha, perhaps. I have no regrets, though. Now I get to put happy smiles on faces with my cooking here.
Oh?
Ah, sorry. Just thinking out loud.

They use amber mushrooms in their dishes, right?
...Say again?
I always wanted to make amber mushroom soup! I heard they tastes great!
Whoops! Sorry for babbling a bit there. See ya around! *leaves*
...How would he know about amber mushrooms? That's something only Darcsens should know. Where did he learn about it?

Giulio design sketches

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Compared to the obnoxious garbage that was the classmate stuff in VC2, that was actually quite nice!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Yup, that's Giulio. He's a cook, he does cook things, he got arrested for stealing ingredients so he could cook better.

You might also have noticed that Kurt never even appeared in those plot sequences. What I like about VC3 as opposed to VC2 is that the characters don't depend on Kurt to solve all their problems for them. They're proactively dealing with their issues and the other characters are supporting them or acting as foils for them, which does wonders for fleshing out the team.

Plus it means a lot less of "Avan wanders onto a scene because he's tired/hungry."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Agreed. It helps immensely that the teammates talk to each other, not just the player character.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I liked there was no forced confrontation between Giulio and Deit

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Question about "use them 35 times." Does that mean, "Move them/attack with them 35 times" or more like "use them on 35 maps?" I haven't played this game, so I'm unclear on that requirement.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Lotish posted:

Question about "use them 35 times." Does that mean, "Move them/attack with them 35 times" or more like "use them on 35 maps?" I haven't played this game, so I'm unclear on that requirement.

The former. Considering that you get about 6 or 7 moves per turn at this point in the game, it becomes very easy to unlock everyone's fragments even without grinding on the bonus maps over and over.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Since this village is close to Imperial border, the enemy forces will be stronger than usual.
Don't get careless just because we're working with the army now. Understood?
Got it! And after our victory, I'll cook up a celebration feast!
I'll keep that in mind.
*Thinks* A Darcsen village...maybe I can grab some mushrooms!

*Meanwhile*

Why did we get assigned to this stupid place?
And we have to support the Nameless as well. What a joke. Can't they handle this themselves?

*Back at the Nameless camp*

This is usually how it goes when we work with the army.
Captain, are we really going to wait on those lazy bums?
Kurt! If they're not going to move, let's just lead the charge ourselves! It'll get dark if we wait too long!
Giulio? I thought you didn't like fighting....
Hey now! I'm still a super loyal soldier of Gallia, aren't I?
It would be nice if the rest of the army had his attitude.
Puh-lease. I bet it's just food-related.
Look, are we starting the operation or not?!

Welp, I can't read that.

The mission is to eliminate everyone across 4 maps. The mission is the mountain area, the same type of area that Baldren did his weekly ethnic cleansing.

This is a very long map with lots of tanks to kill, and MG Turrets as new foes to the Nameless.

The S rank was like 4 turns, which I clearly didn't hit. Killing tanks definitely takes longer when your lancers can't survive a reach-around the blue butts anymore.

The army came specifically to save you. You Darcsens better show your appreciation!

*At a distance*

They're talking like they did everything when we did all the work....
No surprise.

*Back to the village*

Thank you for saving us!
W-Would you like to stay and eat some dinner, sirs?
Eat with you? Hah! You're hilarious!
No matter how hungry I'd be, your Darcsen food will never touch my lips. All you do is eat bizarre things, anyway!
Even trash would be tastier! Ha ha ha!

And who's going to make us? A Darcsen? From the Nameless, even?
Forget about it, 6. There's no point arguing with army people.
I can't just ignore the constant abuse in front of me! I don't care who it is!
What are you fussing about now? You're just a Nameless!
Hey, hey, hey! I can tell you the Nameless can do one thing!
Eh?

Who the heck are you?!
Sorry, Giulio, but I suddenly don't have much of an appetite.
Nonsense! I heard you guys were arguing about food.
You two should come as well! Even the army must be starving by now, huh?
And why would we eat your food?!
Hey, it's not like it smells bad or anything!
Tell you what, if you don't like it, then I'll give you guys this exquisite bottle of wine.

Ha. Well, if you're giving away free alcohol, I guess it won't hurt.

*Moments later*

All right, dinner's served!
What is this? Isn't it just soup?
Just take a sip! Don't judge it till you try it!
Well, it just looks so bland...*Sips* Eh?
This is....
Ah, the soldiers seem confused.
Come on, guys! The rest of you eat up!

This taste...it's amber mushrooms, isn't it.
What's that?
It's a rare mushroom that's only found in Darcsen dishes. It's normally sour and stinky to taste, but the flavor is great once you learn how to cook it right.
This is...Darcen food?
Darcens are pretty good at drawing out the best out of ingredients. That was an important lesson I learned from my travels.
Now if you hand me your plates, I'll serve up some gravy risotto as well!
The smell is mouth-watering. Who could have imagined we'd eat such delicious things on the battlefield?

*The soldiers take a bite*

Mm, not bad.
To think food like this existed...
What do you think? Taste good, right? Prejudice limits your experience on all the wonderful things to eat in the world.
Hey, is there any more of that fried stuff?
Me, too. I can't get enough of it!
Ah, all right! Please wait a moment!

Haha, I don't want to take all the credit. Those amber mushrooms did a good enough job on their own.

*After a long dinner*

Hoooo...it's been so long since I had such a feast.
I'm stuffed as well. Thanks a lot.
Hey, don't thank me. Thank the villagers for teaching me all their secrets.
Then, thank you ma'am. It was delicious, and I would like to ask another helping next time we patrol here.
Y-Yes! Of course!

Haha, looks like everyone's too full to listen.
Admit it. You planned this from the start, didn't you?
...Figures.
I always say, food makes the entire world smile.

Giulio's passion for cooking has given him full HP recovery after an attack.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Wow. That was actually really good. Showed a lot for his character, and had a nice reconciliation with Darcsen hatred for the gallian soldiers.

Yeah, having Kurt step into the background for these was a good decision.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Man, you're an update machine Tae.

Tae did a VC2 LP, was there ever a VC1 LP?

Krysmphoenix posted:

Wow. That was actually really good. Showed a lot for his character, and had a nice reconciliation with Darcsen hatred for the gallian soldiers.

Yeah, having Kurt step into the background for these was a good decision.

It's such a shame that the series ended with a sort of cliffhanger. VC1 had decent gameplay with awful writing, VC2 was sort of fun in some ways, but VC3 is genuinely good.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 27, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Being a dude who is good at both cooking and finding decent ingredients must make Giuilo a really popular dude in the squad.

I'm glad his side-story was actually about him doing stuff. It fit much better than VC2. It was a little corny, but it got his personality across pretty well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Tae did a VC2 LP, was there ever a VC1 LP?

Non-First post reader, trap sprung

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I got to finishing the VC2 LP and I just realized that Erik, who was good at defending camps, had the last name "kampmann." :haw:

Tae posted:

Non-First post reader, trap sprung

Off to The Nameless with me. :negative:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wish more games had side and character stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wish more games had side and character stuff like this.

Thats the problem with Japan. Panty/Anime High School quests and fighters get localized while truly mature games like these remain in Japanese shores and sealed off to ensure no foreigner gets to do walkthroughs on these games. Worse yet is games and anime with assertive characters sell poorly or are unpopular.

You can also apply the same line of thinking to jpop. Nothing but bland idols with the interesting stuff unheard of.

• Locked thread