Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

How did the translators come up with names like Aen Seidhe and then pronounce them like En Shay? Is this a deliberate reference to incomprehensible Irish Gaelic spellings? If so, does it show up in the Polish books or is it a clever transposition of some other "fay folk spelling" into English sensibilities?

It shows in Polish books, Sapkowski loves Arthurian and Celtic legends.

I've got a weird quest: after attending a party I've found a small village, where 3 peasants were keeping something locked in a barn. It was corpse eaters that were lured dead humans. When confronted villagers said they were robbers, that were killed after they tried to rape some girl they've named. Thing is there's no girl in the village. I see no woman clothes drying. Visiting houses I've noticed they all have shears and hooks, and there's a couple of containers with rotten meat. I cannot talk to them. Have I messed up a Witcher quest? Are they a bunch of crazy cannibals preying on travellers? Will it come up later? Am I getting insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

wesley snypes posted:

Was poking around skellige and I found the corpse of birna brand, strung up on one of the rocks in the water north of Sund. It had been a week, so she was very dead. Now I wonder if you can bolt over there right away and set her free

Perhaps, I will check in my game. I know I've missed out on some time sensitive quests/details; I skipped out on an elf and her home being harassed by a couple of torch-wielding bandits assuming I could resume the quest later. A day later I came back and was welcomed by burnt bones and a smoldering ruin :(.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
What is the trigger for "missing" Triss in Novigrad? I ideally want to meet up with Triss at the very least but end the game with Yennefer

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Avalanche posted:

What is the trigger for "missing" Triss in Novigrad? I ideally want to meet up with Triss at the very least but end the game with Yennefer

Next quest after attending a party with her.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I regret killing Kiera even though the oval office used Geralt like a puppet, I feel as she's not really evil. Does she have any impact on the main story line ?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Krogort posted:

I regret killing Kiera even though the oval office used Geralt like a puppet, I feel as she's not really evil. Does she have any impact on the main story line ?

Someone posted a screenshot of an endgame slideshow, so I think she could have a part in the latter part of the game. I think I've also hosed up by denying her something she wanted, at least she's alive in my game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nice analysis. One moment where this split seemed especially evident to me was the sidequest where you play fencing instructor for var Attre's daughter (pretty inconsequential spoilers): During your training she runs off to have some time away from everyone else. When you find her, there are predictably a few locals being dicks to her, mostly because of her affiliation to Nilfgaard. Even if you resolve the situation perfectly peacefully and civilly (i.e. through Axii :v:), she'll still be spitting fire and brimstone afterwards, saying that she'd remember the locals' names and once Nilfgaard conquered that place she'd find them and make them pay and all that. The idea that their enmity towards Nilfgaard would be at least understandable if not justified because it's about to bring ruinous war upon their homes doesn't even occur to her. She also obviously doesn't worry about the fact that killing or otherwise harshly punishing those guys will be completely counterproductive in resolving that enmity. Or that demanding harsh(er) punishment just because of the commoner/noble dynamic between offender and offended might unjustified as well, though that's not exactly exclusive to Nilfgaard. To her, all that matters is that they did a Bad Thing by threatening a noble, which deserves Just Punishment.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Nice analysis. One moment where this split seemed especially evident to me was the sidequest where you play fencing instructor for var Attre's daughter (pretty inconsequential spoilers): During your training she runs off to have some time away from everyone else. When you find her, there are predictably a few locals being dicks to her, mostly because of her affiliation to Nilfgaard. Even if you resolve the situation perfectly peacefully and civilly (i.e. through Axii :v:), she'll still be spitting fire and brimstone afterwards, saying that she'd remember the locals' names and once Nilfgaard conquered that place she'd find them and make them pay and all that. The idea that their enmity towards Nilfgaard would be at least understandable if not justified because it's about to bring ruinous war upon their homes doesn't even occur to her. She also obviously doesn't worry about the fact that killing or otherwise harshly punishing those guys will be completely counterproductive in resolving that enmity. Or that demanding harsh(er) punishment just because of the commoner/noble dynamic between offender and offended might unjustified as well, though that's not exactly exclusive to Nilfgaard. To her, all that matters is that they did a Bad Thing by threatening a noble, which deserves Just Punishment.

I told her she's a bad person and she stormed off. Has anyone tried the other option? Could Geralt have boned her otherwise?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

alex314 posted:

I told her she's a bad person and she stormed off. Has anyone tried the other option? Could Geralt have boned her otherwise?

Add me to the list of people that hoped "fencing lessons" was a euphemism.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The Crooked Warden posted:

Add me to the list of people that hoped "fencing lessons" was a euphemism.

The quest led that way, it seemed she was going to find a quiet place to unwind in Witcher's strong arms after practice.. Cockblocked by Nilfgaardian lawfulness.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I think it was intentional. It's a classic bait and switch. But yes, I fell for it too.

TheTrend posted:

I'll ask again because it seems to have be eaten up by voracious posters : anyone have any images of the superior/masterwork griffin and f e line armors? I can't find them anywhere.

When I reach the right level I'll post a superior screenshot. As it is I've got the armor recipe but I'm not quite high enough to wear the enhanced version much less the superior.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

alex314 posted:

Someone posted a screenshot of an endgame slideshow, so I think she could have a part in the latter part of the game. I think I've also hosed up by denying her something she wanted, at least she's alive in my game.

It's not an endgame slides it's one of those "after the choice" slides. You also get one for the Baron.

At the var Attre talk, while I understand the morality stuff and agree with it, she's really just a shut-in spoiled brat. She just wants to go out and have some fun, and doesn't really understand the full weight of consequence. The peasants don't appear to know she's a Nilfgaardian until you catch up to her.

TheTrend posted:

I'll ask again because it seems to have be eaten up by voracious posters : anyone have any images of the superior/masterwork griffin and f e line armors? I can't find them anywhere.

Masterwork only: http://imgur.com/a/irtbX

alex314 posted:

No, she always leaves in a huff.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 26, 2015

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Goddamn that Carnal Sins sidequest. Came out of nowhere and turned into something much bigger and twisted than I expected. This game is so loving amazing.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I'm trying to get on the boat to the Islands from Novigrad and my game keeps crashing at the cut scene. :ohdear:

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Between whoreson and the serial killer side quest there is some messed up quests in this game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I have 4 maps for the Cat school gear, 3 maps for the Griffin school gear and 2 maps for the bear school gear and I feel like I've exhausted all the armourers in Velen/Novigrad, are the remaining ones all on Viking Island? In addition, the Bear school maps don't actually give me any scavenger hunt quests, what's happening there?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's the deal with manuscript pages? Say I buy an enhanced spectre oil manuscript page from a vendor, would I have to go looking for 1 more? 2 more?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PirateBob posted:

What's the deal with manuscript pages? Say I buy an enhanced spectre oil manuscript page from a vendor, would I have to go looking for 1 more? 2 more?

Nah, one page should just give you the recipe in full.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I am looking for a good place to buy alchemy recipes. I have like... almost no oils. I am trying to fix that. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing where to go to get, say, wraith oil. Any ideas?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

I have 4 maps for the Cat school gear, 3 maps for the Griffin school gear and 2 maps for the bear school gear and I feel like I've exhausted all the armourers in Velen/Novigrad, are the remaining ones all on Viking Island? In addition, the Bear school maps don't actually give me any scavenger hunt quests, what's happening there?

I've found advanced bear stuff by mistake in some cavern south-ish of Novigrad. It wasn't even heavilly defended, probably because the quest for finding it hasn't started. Now I need to find preceding ones, and I'll probably still not use the armor because I spec in signs.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Anyone happen to know where I can find the Enhances/Superior Cat School armor plans?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Asehujiko posted:

The maps for bear school gear only activate once you get to Skellige, since the first few pieces are there. But yeah, the stuff is all over the place, don't worry too much about it, it's unlikely you can equip the high-end stuff yet at any rate.

I'd like to take a second to talk about my favorite tiny little feature in this game: That every single sword model in the game has its own unique rune configuration and color. It's easy to not notice unless you get one of the ones that's REALLY different (mostly elven swords) but it's a very cool little touch. The designs even change based on exactly how many runes you have slotted in!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hipster Occultist posted:

Anyone happen to know where I can find the Enhances/Superior Cat School armor plans?

Have a look at the comments
http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/enhanced-cat-feline-gear/

I really hate the look of the Cat school armor but it's the one that suit my playstyle the most.
Superior is the only one that looks good, the other are either too stipped or too pompous.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Gonkish posted:

I am looking for a good place to buy alchemy recipes. I have like... almost no oils. I am trying to fix that. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing where to go to get, say, wraith oil. Any ideas?

Alchemist north east of Oxenfurt, an alchemist on temple island in Novigrad, and there's two in Skellige, at the place you land at and at the first destination, that sells a lot of them basic ones.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So quest rewards are levelled. Are Witcher armours levelled, too? Should I wait before picking up the schematics if I don't have a pressing need for armour?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Gonkish posted:

There's an alchemist northeast of Oxenfort that has plenty of basic recipes.

edit: here

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

So quest rewards are levelled. Are Witcher armours levelled, too? Should I wait before picking up the schematics if I don't have a pressing need for armour?

I don't think so. I've found schematics for Witcher stuff I cannot wear yet.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Gonkish posted:

There is a herbalist hut north east of Oxenfurt, run by a hallfing.
Supposedly you can buy a lot of recipes you missed previously.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I almost never used Yrden (or signs...) in 2, but the second skill is just so good I'm not quite sure how my light-armor-and-signs Geralt could survive without it. I was out of health and healing items and about to get murdered by the first Wild Hunt dude, but survived by spamming the Yrden sentry and watching it slowly zap the poor guy to death while also giving me time to unload all my bombs on him as well. Tried to use Axii against him too but Keira always managed to ruin that with her own spells. :argh:

That skill is also super useful while fighting groups with archers in them. And flying things. And wraiths. And pretty much everything else too. :allears:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

End of game bug and other stuff Kear Morhen wont be a lonely castle with my stranded Wild Hunt soldier buddies to take care of it for me.

Also... Whoever decided that i shouldnt be allowed to loving loot Eredin's corpse should go die in a fire. That fight was horrendously hard and you get NOTHING for it. gently caress that dev with a broken broom handle.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay guys, quick question but where can I buy a shirt? I need it for a crafting recipie and can't find any merchant that sells it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
At what point do the people you (minor mechanics spoiler) recruit show up in Kaer Morhen? Been all over this lousy fortress and I can't find anyone except the Witchers and Yen.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Some blacksmith sell them, I think the dwarf or his assistant in the baron castle have one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Josef bugman posted:

Okay guys, quick question but where can I buy a shirt? I need it for a crafting recipie and can't find any merchant that sells it.

Most blacksmiths(Not weaponsmiths) should sell one, worst case scenario you can always grab one from the tailor elf outside Novigrad.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Most blacksmiths(Not weaponsmiths) should sell one, worst case scenario you can always grab one from the tailor elf outside Novigrad.

Yeah, the armorsmith in Novigrad had like four of them for me.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Keep clearing unknown location markers, it seems the loot scales somewhat as well.

Cleared a level 3 cannibal camp and got a superior hanged man's venom from the linked loot chest.
There's no way I would have gotten that earlier in the game/at a matching level myself.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What real-world accent matches that of the Nilfgaardians?

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Okay, I poured 17 hours into this game and am lvl. 3 and just left the milfguardian castle.
I'm enjoying the scenery too much.

Choccy Starfish
Oct 5, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Sounds like Russian to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

The first Reich.