Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Fabricated posted:

Since the Hero Killer has been contacted by the Villain Alliance guys I guess we're probably getting to the All Might death arc sooner than I thought.

...Come on, you gotta be thinking that. It's getting deathflaggy as hell. You think they're gonna have more than 2 "Villain Alliance tries to kill All Might" arcs? Standard stakes raising dictates it; I mean it's kinda early to potentially off a student.

I actually really hope it isn't the death arc yet, All Might is awesome.

It's a superhero homage. If All Might dies he'll come back as a villain somehow. Also Deku will lose an arm for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Soylentbits posted:

It's a superhero homage. If All Might dies he'll come back as a villain somehow. Also Deku will lose an arm for some reason.

I'm sorry, what are you basing that on exactly? I'm trying to think of heroes that've died and come back as villains and outside of the Black Lanterns nothing is springing to mind. I'm sure it's happened on occasion, I just don't think it's nearly as often as you seem to be implying to say that Horikoshi will homage it with All Might. More often it's that death is just undone and the hero resurrected if we're talking Western comics. Superman, Batman, Spider-man and so on - they've all died, they've all come back like it never happened, which please god, won't happen here.

Besides which, it wouldn't make sense to happen. If All Might died and then came back, he'd have no powers, because Deku would have full control of One for All at that point and there's nothing to indicate the link goes two ways to say that zombie All Might would be able to wrest some/all of it back.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Star Wars reference?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Time skips. Don't you just love how despite they're supposed to bring the fights closer most of time you're also stuck in a flashback too. Basically rendering the time skip pointless since the plot people are having the characterization bouncing everywhere and the action guys are having the sequences broken up by said flashbacks.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

Also my kingdom to Horikoshi if he can do this whole manga without a significant timeskip. Please, dear god, no timeskips. They're really really bad in shounen and everyone needs to stop doing them.

I think they work okay in Dragonball.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd be fine with a collection of smaller scale time skips that add up and suddenly Deku is taller than Kacchan.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I like Deku being on the smaller, scrawnier side to be honest. It really cements his status as the underdog in a universe where most people in a vacuum would probably think they were better than him.

Even after he grows up, I'm still kinda hoping he retains his size and shape relative to the rest of the cast (rather than hulking out All Might-style).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Prison Warden posted:

I think they work okay in Dragonball.

One Piece had a good one too, as did Naruto I suppose. I actually like time skips though personally, since I love seeing character's grow up, change and so on. Especially so if we get to see the cast moving on and new characters introduced. It's why StrikerS is my favorite season of Nanoha. I wish more things did time skips, not less like most people seem to.

Bad Seafood posted:

I like Deku being on the smaller, scrawnier side to be honest. It really cements his status as the underdog in a universe where most people in a vacuum would probably think they were better than him.

Even after he grows up, I'm still kinda hoping he retains his size and shape relative to the rest of the cast (rather than hulking out All Might-style).

Why? He's going to be the very opposite of an underdog in a few years time and will actually be better, or at least more powerful than just about everyone. There's no point cementing a thing visually if it's not actually true.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
make Deku the John Cena of Shounen Manga.

"How will Deku ever overcome these odds, given his small frame and stature! Truly, there has never been more of an ultimate underdog then Deku!'

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

One Piece had a good one too, as did Naruto I suppose. I actually like time skips though personally, since I love seeing character's grow up, change and so on. Especially so if we get to see the cast moving on and new characters introduced. It's why StrikerS is my favorite season of Nanoha. I wish more things did time skips, not less like most people seem to.

I think most people dislike time skips because they're almost always poorly executed, and the few times they aren't they're basically just a new series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chumbler posted:

I think most people dislike time skips because they're almost always poorly executed, and the few times they aren't they're basically just a new series.

While they're almost always poorly executed in shounen manga, I don't think the concept is inherently bad. I mean, how else are you supposed to tell a story that takes place over more than a couple years?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Slowly and painstakingly.

But really, this manga already had a few timeskips with Deku's 10 month training plan and the three or so weeks leading up to the athletic festival. Although I think those are more montage than timeskip. If there is going to be a legit timeskip, I think there's still going to be a few panels showing what happened in the meantime.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 26, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tsob posted:

Dragonball is like decades old at this point. Also personal opinion but where One Piece and Naruto really jumped the shark is with their timeskips.

I kinda prefer just watching characters grow/change more naturally than suddenly going ~2 years later!~ and now we have to re-introduce everyone and their stupid new designs and their new powers. And then do the stupid "Here's some dudes who would've been tough before but are now mooks for the goodguys to trounce to let you know, man they've really gotten strong!" poo poo before you conjure more powerful badguys that they'll have to struggle with...which means nothing has really changed.

When you know, could've just not done the loving timeskip in the first place and figured out how to pace your story better.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

tsob posted:

I'm sorry, what are you basing that on exactly? I'm trying to think of heroes that've died and come back as villains and outside of the Black Lanterns nothing is springing to mind. I'm sure it's happened on occasion, I just don't think it's nearly as often as you seem to be implying to say that Horikoshi will homage it with All Might. More often it's that death is just undone and the hero resurrected if we're talking Western comics. Superman, Batman, Spider-man and so on - they've all died, they've all come back like it never happened, which please god, won't happen here.

Besides which, it wouldn't make sense to happen. If All Might died and then came back, he'd have no powers, because Deku would have full control of One for All at that point and there's nothing to indicate the link goes two ways to say that zombie All Might would be able to wrest some/all of it back.

Wolverine for the Hand. Phoenix. Ant-Man in Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Kid Loki. All zombie comics. Every live action Marvel event has ended this season with a missing hand. Honestly I really didn't put much thought into this except that the main villain in this series collects hands and one appears to be his father's. I just figured he would collect somebody's hands at some point and that the person behind the hand guy would probably fashion another meat puppet out of All Might's corpse.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

tsob posted:

Why? He's going to be the very opposite of an underdog in a few years time and will actually be better, or at least more powerful than just about everyone. There's no point cementing a thing visually if it's not actually true.
Because I'd argue it's a key element of his character, though I'd also argue being the underdog is about more than just being less powerful than everyone else. I think you can be quite strong and still qualify as an underdog under the right conditions, but that's a subject for another day.

Nothing about Deku stands out as particularly impressive, which is what makes it so satisfying when he surprises everyone. Rather than some everyman with whom the reader is expected to identify, he's someone who's got it worse than the everyman. We sympathize with him not because we know what he's going through but because he's got it worse than we do. Even now that his lot in life has improved, it's still an uphill struggle as he works to master something everyone else can just do naturally.

Let's take a break from Deku though to talk about All Might. All Might who's got it all. He's big and strong and charismatic and cool and always there to save the day. In theory, anyway. There's actually quite a few times he isn't, due to his deteriorating health (which makes sense). Beyond being physically incapacitated however, he's also shown to be skittish around people discovering his secret. As the world's No. 1 hero, the Symbol of Peace, he can't allow himself to be seen in such a state. What would people think? What would they believe in? As such, he's afraid to exhibit weakness. It's when he's most scared that he laughs, after all.

I actually think this is a character flaw of All Might's which Deku is uniquely suited to correcting. I like Superman, but one of the reasons a lot of people don't is because he's too perfect. Strong, smart, and handsome, he's a super-powered moral exemplar; an impossible ideal most of us could never obtain. Of course we don't have to, the point is to do what you can, but a lot of people get lead astray by that nonetheless. The world likes having All Might around because he's a nice guy to have around, but I imagine on a personal level a lot of people regard him as an illusory dream, a man born lucky. That he was born quirkless, that he himself had to strive for greatness, is a closely-guarded secret.

I don't think Deku is afraid to appear weak in the same way that All Might is, though he's certainly afraid of a lot of other things. My prediction (and preference) then is that even as he comes into his own over the course of the story, he shouldn't shed his "Unremarkable" physical tells. Rather than adopting All Might's personality whole-sale, I think he (and the themes of the story) would be better served by being just as bold and courageous as his mentor while simultaneously exuding a more modest presence and humble confidence.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 26, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda thought Midoriya's key element was that he's the epitome of selfless heroism- a trait which even the nicest people in his class don't have.

Midoriya just instinctively wants to save people from trouble, probably because he's deeply empathetic. In the intro he sees the utter, pure existential terror of death in Bakugou's eyes and throws himself at a monster he has no chance of beating because understands the same feeling and can't bear to watch someone else go through it. He hears Todoroki's super hosed up story about his life, realizes that he is probably one of the few people on earth who could help him make a breakthrough- suddenly he could give a flying gently caress about winning the tournament and would rather lose and 'save' Todoroki than take a freebie win by letting him not use his fire.

He has regrets about both of those decisions later but in those instants he just doesn't give a poo poo about his own life.

And Horikoshi is a pretty good writer so far, so Midoriya's selflessness is shown as both a great and terrible thing. He's a -real- hero in every sense of the word, but that doesn't lend itself to a long life span. I imagine the fact that Midoriya is walking All Might's path to an early death is going to be a major thing down the line.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You can have more than one key element. Most well-written characters do.

Deku's selflessness is definitely the more important of the two, but I feel it's reinforced quite solidly by his underdoggedness. It's easy to be nice when you're on top.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 26, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

You can have more than one key element. Most well-written characters do.

Deku's selflessness is definitely the more important of the two, but I feel its reinforced quite solidly by his underdoggedness. It's easy to be nice when you're on top.
I think your original edit "When you have nothing to lose" is kinda correct too.

When he starts seeing his lack of concern for himself (in the moment) is hurting the people who care about him it'll get interesting.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Stallion Cabana posted:

make Deku the John Cena of Shounen Manga.

"How will Deku ever overcome these odds, given his small frame and stature! Truly, there has never been more of an ultimate underdog then Deku!'

That's perfect because then as soon as All-Might dies Deku can hand-gesture him and start going...

"YOUR TIME IS UP MY TIME IS NOW! YOU CAN'T SEE ME..."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I think your original edit "When you have nothing to lose" is kinda correct too.
Yeah, I just swapped it out because that can also be read as people with nowhere to go but up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
All this aside, Deku is not scrawny. Not in the slightest. Small, maybe, but he's pretty built. Which makes sense, since his training for things (as we've seen in the montages and stuff) is always things like weightlifting.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 26, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's built, yeah, but lean. His clothes do a good job hiding his physique, which goes back to what I was saying about him looking one way at a glance but surprising people when given the opportunity.

Scrawny may have been the wrong word, but you probably understood what I meant when I used it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

He's built, yeah, but lean. His clothes do a good job hiding his physique, which goes back to what I was saying about him looking one way at a glance but surprising people when given the opportunity.

Scrawny may have been the wrong word, but you probably understood what I meant when I used it.

Actually I didn't, hence the link; I've seen a lot of people forget that, even without One For All, Deku's actually pretty dang fit and strong. Not, like, bodybuilder-level or anything, but not just a skinny nerd either.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I've seen a lot of people forget that
My point exactly.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Has All Might ever told his real name to anyone onscreen? It might be nothing, because Endeavor, Black Mist, and a few other ancillary characters are only known by their stage name. That said, I think All Might is the kind of person to make people think that he's always All Might all the time, and that means no one must know his real name.

I hope Midoriya goes all Barnaby Brooks Jr. and just forgoes the superhero name entirely. poo poo, forgot Barnaby could get away with that because he was an orphan. Please don't hurt Deku's parents. I know at least one of them is cool.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think my wish for this manga is that eventually, Deku can activate his powers and turn into someone/something that can withstand the full strength of One For All, that looks like All Might, will run around as All Might, but no one will know it's actually Deku. And, that at first, he'll only be able to sustain it for a few seconds, with the duration growing slowly over time.

....of course, for the story to be good, that would mean that All Might is going to have to die soon, so....

Jintor
May 19, 2014

God I miss so many things the first time I run through a manga during my 'I'm totally obsessed gotta keep reading' phase. I just realised Eraserhead stopped Mr Hands from melting Tsuyu's skull during the USJ Ambush :T

Jintor fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 26, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bad Seafood posted:

My point exactly.

Yeah he's exactly as strong as Bakugou when not using AfO.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

And yet people don't "Forget" that Bakugou is strong on his own.

Deku is strong and clever and capable. He's easily the equal of several of his more celebrated peers. Even so, his appearance and demeanor belies his ability. This is something I think will ultimately prove to be a strength and not a weakness, and what's more something that makes Deku Deku, so I'd rather not see it scrapped.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 26, 2015

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Just to contribute something, the guy from Class 1-B whose power is exactly the same as hardening guy's is called "Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu"... I haven't seen the kanji for his name, but I think his name might be "Steelsteel steelsteel".

What a name.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
You know, with all this analysis of Deku, All Might, and how both their characters work...

I'm honestly starting to think they're less 'Superman', and more Captain Marvel. Or Shazam, if you only know recent versions.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jintor posted:

Just to contribute something, the guy from Class 1-B whose power is exactly the same as hardening guy's is called "Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu"... I haven't seen the kanji for his name, but I think his name might be "Steelsteel steelsteel".

What a name.

The kanji for his name is:

鉄 (the kanji for "iron", and pronounced "Tetsu")
哲 (the kanji for "clear", and also pronounced "Tetsu")
徹 (the kanji for "pierce", and again pronounced "Tetsu")
轍 (the kanji for "furrow", and pronounced - you guessed it - "Tetsu").

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Astro Nut posted:

You know, with all this analysis of Deku, All Might, and how both their characters work...

I'm honestly starting to think they're less 'Superman', and more Captain Marvel. Or Shazam, if you only know recent versions.

I hope All-Might isn't going to just be crushed by an overhanging rock falling on him once Deku finally has control of the power!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm reminded of the thing I saw about the name "Guy Chapman" basically being three different ways to say the word "bloke" strung together.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Man, assuming everybody still has their birth names, names are hilariously prescient.

Maybe parents try and determine kid's quirks through names.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Jintor posted:

Man, assuming everybody still has their birth names, names are hilariously prescient.

This is a superhero story. Doctor Octopus' name is Otto Octavius. Rainbow Raider's name is Roy G. Bivolo

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Yeah but they're on like their 5th generation of quirks. Someone in-universe has probably noticed by now and is attempting to mould kids via names.

"Quirks" is also probably the best name for powers that isn't powers that I've seen so far.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I hope Endeavor thought of a REALLY COOL name to give his kid, and whenever someone was born they gave it that name but then the kid turned out bad so they had to keep giving the same name to different kids until they finally got it right.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Terper posted:

I hope Endeavor thought of a REALLY COOL name to give his kid, and whenever someone was born they gave it that name but then the kid turned out bad so they had to keep giving the same name to different kids until they finally got it right.

Well, Todoroki's name DOES have characters for 'burned' and 'freezing', so I wouldn't be surprised if all his siblings share the same name, but with different readings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bad Seafood posted:

And yet people don't "Forget" that Bakugou is strong on his own.

Well, he does his best to remind them! (Even his uniform is designed to show off his muscles in the same way that Deku's outfit hides his.)

I'm really looking forward to Deku learning to be a Symbol of Peace for the world, or to him deciding that he doesn't need to be one. It's nice to feel confident enough in a manga's writing quality that I feel sure something satisfying will happen with this, for once.