Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sky are saying Porte injured his knee in the crash yesterday and its looking likely he may pull out of the giro to go be super domestique for Froome at the tour. I think he's just given up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Sky are saying Porte injured his knee in the crash yesterday and its looking likely he may pull out of the giro to go be super domestique for Froome at the tour. I think he's just given up.

All their riders get injuries and pull out when they're doing crap

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I don't really blame him, he got a poo poo ruling handed down and bad luck struck yesterday. Porte told media yesterday that his knee was hosed in that crash. He is 17th now and could probably get into the top 10 by the end of all the mountains, but Sky don't exactly race for top 10. If he can't get on the podium, he may as well be a bigger asset to Froome in July. I don't think it'll hurt him contract wise.

Looks like Contador found a bloody steak last night. I was really hoping Aru would have a wheel mishap.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

They didnt exactly come from nobodies. They're on poo poo, but lets not be hysterical now.

Yes they did. Froome and Porte are both jumped up (and enhanced) domestiques. Nothing more. Porte was Contadors domestique and a pretty poor one at that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If anyone was watching the whole broadcast, there was a sign on the ground that said W IL GIRO. Where W is Viva, which you'd know if you'd read the apocryphal origins of the Wilier brand :smug: Or were Italian.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Giro fuckin stinks this year.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Nah, it owns, dude.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Vanderwalle has apparently lost a bit of his finger after a crash in the time trial yesterday.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Sky just can't deal at the Giro, discuss.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sky only have one decent GC guy and he doesnt give a poo poo about the Giro.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Astana spent the last 10km's forcing the pace and Aru can't even follow his last guy. Farcical.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Was telling my riding b yesterday before the TT that Contador is chill for the GC, something's wrong with Aru.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bad blood bag during the rest day.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Porte gave up 28 minutes today.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Either setting himself for stage wins or he's actually injured.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Porte gave up 28 minutes today.

I only watched the end of the stage on youtube, I assumed Porte had DNSed and was already in Tiede getting ready to tow Froome up mountains in July.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

He probably sat up and cruised, can't blame him really.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Porte has withdrawn, citing medical advice.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Gutless.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Contador says gently caress your selfie stick

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Talansky on a long solo attack at the US nats.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That would be cool if he doubled up.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
So does Konig get Richie's marginal gains special snowflake camper now?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its a bit weird that the US has held the national championships during a grand tour.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Sums it all up really.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there a reason they don't do them at the same time as everyone else?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Maybe its to try and get more top riders to ride the TOC?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Its memorial day weekend

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

serious gaylord posted:

all the other weekends in chattanooga are booked with chili cookoffs, bluegrass festivals, or prayer rallies.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Can't wait to see the drama when Contador does the double this year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Can't wait to see the drama when Contador does the double this year.

Im wondering if he'll do the vuelta too just to take the piss.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Hm, what's happened to Bert? He's suddenly in the back with a number of team mates around him. Some sort of technical?

e: my brain can't do two things at once, I was writing an email which included the word technical so naturally my brain changed the wording in the post from mechanical to technical

Xabi fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 26, 2015

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Xabi posted:

Hm, what's happened to Bert? He's suddenly in the back with a number of team mates around him. Some sort of technical?

Probably. Seems like the race splintered a bit on the descent. Probably not a real problem for him, assume he'll be back in the group before the climb starts.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I wasn't watching at the time, but I heard them mention a team mate giving Contador his front wheel, so it could have been a mechanical.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011
Action! Looks like AC will have to do some work himself soon

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

The Tinkoff team is weak as hell, Kreuziger's the only one left with Bert.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Xabi posted:

The Tinkoff team is weak as hell, Kreuziger's the only one left with Bert.

I think that won't matter too much as long as AC gets up to Aru et al before the foot of the climb. He can manage just fine on his own then. It's the flat area that is the problem.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Looks like it's shaping up where Contador is going to have to do the bulk of the work on the climb. Not sure his teammate is going to be able to pull him up to the peloton before the climb starts.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

They've started climbing and Contador has already distanced all of his team mates. Apparently he's only 39 secs behind the front and he started around 50 secs behind at the foot of the climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011
He'll want to get up to the front as fast as possible - while he's behind they have a strong incentive to push all they can, but once AC is caught up, it might be back to the usual "watch each other" dance.

E: Weird to see Anton pull Contador up to his own captain, and then immediately dropping back down...

E2: So much for Contador not winning the Giro easily. Guess he'll get his stage today as well.

scaevola fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 26, 2015