Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I'm at that point in the game where I want to start over. You know, that part where you've learned a lot about the mechanics and want to spend your skills wisely. Can someone talk me out of starting the game over from the beginning? I want to take the two viper school swords and keep my original wolf school armor because it's :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'm at that point in the game where I want to start over. You know, that part where you've learned a lot about the mechanics and want to spend your skills wisely. Can someone talk me out of starting the game over from the beginning? I want to take the two viper school swords and keep my original wolf school armor because it's :krad:

Apparently you can buy potions to reset your skill allocation, so if you're just unhappy with that you don't need to start all over again.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Perestroika posted:

Apparently you can buy potions to reset your skill allocation, so if you're just unhappy with that you don't need to start all over again.

I've done that three times and as a result am 3k less richer. I mostly want to get my original starter armor back but have no idea who I sold it to. I'd also like to become the Jeremy Denzani of the Gwent world.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

just get yourself a respec potion with keira or the pellar and you´re set.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Can someone talk me out of starting the game over from the beginning?

Sure. You can walk around with a towel and a goofy mask. Armors are for pansies.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Meta-Mollusk posted:

That skill is also super useful while fighting groups with archers in them. And flying things. And wraiths. And pretty much everything else too. :allears:

I'm basically running a full signs build (only other skill is 5/5 on the first fast attack skill) and I can attest to this. I had a bit of trouble getting the Yrden turret down the right time - when I placed it too early, enemies ran away and when I placed it too late, they mobbed me while I cast it. Then I just learned that using Quen beforehand lets you place Yrden without interruptions, if you're having trouble.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

20 hours in and I'm only level 7, jesus christ and I heard level 70 was max? is that even real?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I've done that three times and as a result am 3k less richer. I mostly want to get my original starter armor back but have no idea who I sold it to. I'd also like to become the Jeremy Denzani of the Gwent world.

I don't think there are actually any upgrades to the starting armor past the first one, which is meant to explain the upgrading mechanic to you. It becomes useless extremely fast.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Maybe I'm not at the right level, but I can't find the option to upgrade armor.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's just a crafting recipe that has the previous tier as a component.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

haris pilton posted:

milfguardian castle.

How do I find this place?

quote:

I'm enjoying the scenery too much.

I bet you are.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Baron Bifford posted:

What real-world accent matches that of the Nilfgaardians?

I think it's supposed to be dutch.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Love this game, really really love this game.

Echoing what others have said, the combat can be a little janky (and being shot by arrows OOC while having the deflect skill is loving irritating), but once you get the hang of it, a shitload of fun. Playing on hard, unlike the previous witcher games you really have to use everything to get by in some of the fights. I love that you can't just ignore signs/bombs/etc. For example, drowners can be real cunts until you learn to dodge well, and bombs/signs pretty much annihilate them - same for big groups of bandits.

One of my favourite aspects is how agonising the decisions can be, compared to pretty much any other game I've played. In things like KOTOR where your character is a relatively blank slate, I have no problem committing to a path of sheer evil/good, but in TW3 I question myself after almost every sequence.

Gwent is quite a lot of fun, you actually have to think when playing against better decks.

e: Also, it's fantastic that exploration is so rewarding since you find 90% of your potion, crafting, and bomb recipes that way.

Prawned fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 26, 2015

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
The only reason to pay to upgrade your starting chest piece is if you feel bad for letting the arsonist go and want something to spend his money on at the shop he destroyed.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Prawned posted:

Love this game, really really love this game.

Echoing what others have said, the combat can be a little janky (and being shot by arrows OOC while having the deflect skill is loving irritating), but once you get the hang of it, a shitload of fun. Playing on hard, unlike the previous witcher games you really have to use everything to get by in some of the fights. I love that you can't just ignore signs/bombs/etc. For example, drowners can be real cunts until you learn to dodge well, and bombs/signs pretty much annihilate them - same for big groups of bandits.

One of my favourite aspects is how agonising the decisions can be, compared to pretty much any other game I've played. In things like KOTOR where your character is a relatively blank slate, I have no problem committing to a path of sheer evil/good, but in TW3 I question myself after almost every sequence.

Gwent is quite a lot of fun, you actually have to think when playing against better decks.

This is actually driving me nuts because I'm determined to play on Harder/Hardest but the enemies have such inflated HP pools that it doesn't even feel like a Witcher game. Closer to a lovely dark souls. Witcher 2 had a really dumb power curve that trivialized the second and third acts of the game but early on the bombs, traps, and oils felt extremely potent compared what a dose of Grapeshot does to a Drowner or Nekker in Witcher 3. Signs are way better now but everything else feels really unspectacular considering what a pain it is navigate the menu and constantly swap out bombs and potions, not to mention meditating after every third encounter to refresh the poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone tell me where the merchant who will buy books for a good price is at? I saw his notice on the board but can't find him.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^ i think he is near the witch burning site on that plaza in Novigrad. Practical if you want a bookburning after the Autodafé.

Baron Bifford posted:

What real-world accent matches that of the Nilfgaardians?
Hmmm, they invaded Temeria, a wine producing kingdom whose symbol is the triple Fleur de Lys and towns with name like "la valette", and they are obsessed with troop discipline. I would say german/Holy Roman Empire. On the other hand, Toussaint is within Nilfgaard and fit the french list of obligatory clichés too.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 26, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Arglebargle III posted:

Can anyone tell me where the merchant who will buy books for a good price is at? I saw his notice on the board but can't find him.

I think there's a bookseller in Novigrad. He's got a quest, too. I forget where he is, exactly.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I've just finished Novingrad and so far i think my favourite character is Voorhis. His voice is so ridiculous it makes me laugh every time.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Azazell0 posted:

I'm basically running a full signs build (only other skill is 5/5 on the first fast attack skill) and I can attest to this. I had a bit of trouble getting the Yrden turret down the right time - when I placed it too early, enemies ran away and when I placed it too late, they mobbed me while I cast it. Then I just learned that using Quen beforehand lets you place Yrden without interruptions, if you're having trouble.

Yeah, sometimes you don't have enough time to cast it before getting shot or mobbed by fast enemies. Besides using Quen to help with that, you can also cast the Yrden turret before the enemy sees you, walk towards them and cast it again while still inside the turret's range and repeat until they finally attack you. Your stamina charges really fast out of combat so it doesn't even take long. It almost feels like cheating, but this is how I approach bandit camps because gently caress archers and rolling all the time. :colbert:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Nilfgaardian sounds like a mix of mainly Dutch sprinkled with German and French to me. This goes for their culture as well.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So (mid-lategame spoilers)When I'm gathering allies at Kaer Morhen, Djikstra snubs me because I hosed up getting his treasure back. That makes me wonder if it was possible to get more than the key and an angry Djikstra at the end of the Novigrad questline. Anyone get anything better than that? Is there a way to get Djikstra's help?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Travel bug:

Jesus, I'm dumb.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 26, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wolpertinger posted:

So (mid-lategame spoilers)When I'm gathering allies at Kaer Morhen, Djikstra snubs me because I hosed up getting his treasure back. That makes me wonder if it was possible to get more than the key and an angry Djikstra at the end of the Novigrad questline. Anyone get anything better than that? Is there a way to get Djikstra's help?

Nope, when I finished talking to everyone I got the acheivement for recruiting everyone possible to Kaer Morhen and Dijkstra shot me down, so no matter what he'll be pissed at you

Also, end of Act 1 spoilers Ciri talks about visiting a world where people had metal in their heads and used weapons that looked like megascopes. Cyberpunk 2077 reference or is it something more obvious?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Geralt should really be able to cast Yrden so that it appears with the far edge of the circle just barely touching the monster he's aiming at for maximum coverage. Feels like there's too much wasted space now when half the spell's area starts off behind you.

edit: also, Jesus loving Christ is there a bank or something I can store my poo poo in for stuff I don't want to carry around all the goddamn time, like all these bitchin weapons and sets of armor I've got?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 26, 2015

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

mcbexx posted:

Weird bug:
I no longer can fast travel from Velen to Novigrad anymore.
If I use a fast travel post, switch to the world map and select Novigrad, I'm instantly switched back to the region map of Velen.

I need to reroute via Vizima or White Orchard to get to Novigrad.

Anyone else running into this particular problem?

Novigrad and Velen are the same zone, Novigrad's just the part of the map north of the Pontar and Velen is the part south of it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Woozy posted:

This is actually driving me nuts because I'm determined to play on Harder/Hardest but the enemies have such inflated HP pools that it doesn't even feel like a Witcher game. Closer to a lovely dark souls. Witcher 2 had a really dumb power curve that trivialized the second and third acts of the game but early on the bombs, traps, and oils felt extremely potent compared what a dose of Grapeshot does to a Drowner or Nekker in Witcher 3. Signs are way better now but everything else feels really unspectacular considering what a pain it is navigate the menu and constantly swap out bombs and potions, not to mention meditating after every third encounter to refresh the poo poo.

I've also been on Blood/Bones difficulty and man, every fight is potentially deadly. Meditating constantly def kind of sucks, I can't imagine how hosed I'd be if I somehow overlooked Swallow. There's really not much in terms of food you can get. I keep anticipating the game eventually breaking me to lowering the difficulty but so far I got past the battles with that blonde witch in Velen ok. (Though that first one was a loving slog.) It seems like every enemy can bring you down in 4 hits or so, plus they're constantly swarming you--it's not Arkham for sure where they all stand around attacking one at a time. I kind of like this but so far I've felt like I'm less powerful than every other thing, even levels below me. A fight against 2 drowners and a water hag is tough but if you aggro like 5 more drowners then you're hosed. It's basically like DS but you never quite feel more powerful than the enemies.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

20 hours in and I'm only level 7, jesus christ and I heard level 70 was max? is that even real?

I don't know why 70 is the max as you'd have to spend literally the rest of your life playing, but I guess there are people who will (like me...). 31 is realistically what you're aiming for, I did a quick calculation / test and it'd take roughly >40 hours to go from 35 to 36. Took me like 14+ hours to go from 30 to 31 to wear Mastercrafted Ursine, which is basically the 'best armour' in the game. You still get leveled gear whatever level you are but Ursine is the highest fixed-level gear I've found.

Dreylad posted:

Also, end of Act 1 spoilers Ciri talks about visiting a world where people had metal in their heads and used weapons that looked like megascopes. Cyberpunk 2077 reference or is it something more obvious?

Nope it's a straight up "hey guys we're working on this *wink wink*"

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 26, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

On a similar note. I ran into a seemingly random cutscene with 2 people getting burned at the stake in the main city and wondered if it was related to something I didn't do earlier. It was super odd because 1. there was no option to diffuse the situation and 2. Their character models looked very distinct and non generic for something that appears for 2 seconds. I'm thinking I hosed something up, unless it was just a setup for some quest line I'm going to run into later. It was all very abrupt for this game.

They're both characters from earlier Witcher games. They actually get entries in the character encyclopedia afterwards.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Creepy Goat posted:

I don't know why 70 is the max as you'd have to spend literally the rest of your life playing, but I guess there are people who will (like me...). 31 is realistically what you're aiming for, I did a quick calculation / test and it'd take roughly >40 hours to go from 35 to 36. Took me like 14+ hours to go from 30 to 31 to wear Mastercrafted Ursine, which is basically the 'best armour' in the game. You still get leveled gear whatever level you are but Ursine is the highest fixed-level gear I've found.

It might be to account for future expansions/DLC they do

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Where does the expansion DLC fit in? Will it be just a "do whenever" thing or will it have its place in the story

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
A couple of annoying bugs I noticed in Velen:

1. You can't interact with the blacksmith in Blackbough after fast traveling (might also happen after meditating, not sure). Saving and loading helps though, but still, very annoying.

2. Some of the ?-places won't show up on the map as dealt with even after I kill everyone and loot everything. Happened to me with a bandit camp south of Condyle and a monster cave north of the Hanged Man's Tree at least.

3. Not sure if it's a bug or if I just missed it somehow, but there is no key to be found near the Person in Distress north of the Hanged Man's Tree.

4. I went back to Codgers' Quarry to do the mission there that was too difficult earlier, but now the quest-giver peasant just attacks me with his axe if I try to approach. If I kill him the exclamation mark disappears from the map. :(

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 26, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

If skill layout is moddable then it'll be one of the first mods I'll try out. Skyrim did an amazing job in that regards, especially stuff like adding different vampire mechanics with vampire skill progression etc.

Also look at the world that's described in some detail:

It's high time Daggerfall loses the crown for the biggest loving game ever! CD Projekt RED, get to work, I want a game spanning from mines of Poviss to gardens of Rowan!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I love how the side quests in this game would fit in as important main quests in other rpgs.
Towerful of Mice is incredible and I like how if you read the glossary and bestiary carefully you can figure out what's going on and All Father's Eve is shaping up to be really good (I'm at the part where I need to pay uh, Ambross a visit). I love how the pellar is written and despite how he doesn't fit in how the other characters talk he's still very enjoyable

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

triss: "we need to hurry!"

as she jogs as slowly as possible.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've only just arrived but the Skellige map is gorgeous. I hope the main quest there focuses more on monsters and supernatural stuff again, Novigrad was entirely fighting men and I don't really like the human combat too much.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is there a clear point of no return?

Spoiler tags for latter parts of story.

Just uncursed UMA. Found out where Ciri is and I want to go see her but not at the expense of everything else. Feels like going there will cancel a lot of stuff so I haven't gone yet. Is it safe to do so or will it put me in the endgame?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do you lost any reward if you "solve" a part of a quest without following quest instructions? Stumbling on items people have asked you to look for before getting the quest, for example. I'm starting to notice a lot of red X marks in my quest journal because of this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Skunny Wundy posted:

triss: "we need to hurry!"

as she jogs as slowly as possible.

same but for me it's

"we have to hurry"

me: "lol k right after I meditate for 3 hours in this crypt we're in"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Meta-Mollusk posted:

You can't interact with the blacksmith in Blackbough after fast traveling (might also happen after meditating, not sure). Saving and loading helps though, but still, very annoying.

This is the same thing for a bunch of blacksmiths. Meditating for an hour also works, as long as you mediate a ways away, because if you meditate too close he simply disappears until you meditate again.

I casually spent somewhere in the vicinity of 5k gold last night doing nothing but buying superior potion/bomb/alchemy substance recipes from Gremist, the rear end in a top hat druid. When you have a ton of recipes you begin to realize just how horrible the alchemy interface really is. It's just unwieldy.

Also, there appear to be a limited number of ekimmara hides in the game (three I think) and there are at least 4 oils that require it as an ingredient. As a completionist this triggers me. Also, there are a limited number of troll livers in the game as well and those are needed by a bunch of recipes too.

Basically one of the first things I want modded in are some spawns for monsters that are otherwise pretty rare.