Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Ouhei posted:

These would be new servers right? So we'd be losing some Euro goons on exal possibly?

I finally broke down and decided to join the PC master race and ordered computer parts this weekend, luckily I already have a PC license I bought for some reason on an Amazon sale so I'll just have to buy the expansion. I'm a little nervous about going from controller to KB/Mouse but I can switch back if I end up hating it. Looking forward to DX11, max settings and 1440p though.

I use a ps4 controller and used to use my ps3 controller on my PC. I'd imagine it would work on pc ff14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've tried using a controller (since it's so easy to switch in this game) but it just feels like eating soup with a fork. :( Seems great for when you just want to lean back and chill though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nice I knew it, Alex gear across both difficulties will have the same models but the Savage drops will be dyeable. ilevel 170 is 3.0's version of Darklight gear, fun times.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Eej posted:

Nice I knew it, Alex gear across both difficulties will have the same models but the Savage drops will be dyeable.

Is this confirmed somewhere? Have been hoping this would be the case.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
http://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn/hands-on-with-final-fantasy-xiv-heavensward
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/37bd6j/min_il170_at_l60_up_up_and_away/

The press is finally releasing stuff. Some very interesting Astrologian information contained within. They apparently get a dud card that makes a party member take 5-10% more damage.

Agraya fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 26, 2015

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SarutosZero posted:

I use a ps4 controller and used to use my ps3 controller on my PC. I'd imagine it would work on pc ff14.

I do have a PS3 controller laying around...that could work if I don't like kb/mouse.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Agraya posted:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn/hands-on-with-final-fantasy-xiv-heavensward

The press is finally releasing stuff. Some very interesting Astrologian information contained within. They apparently get a dud card that makes a party member take 5-10% more damage.

quote:

Even if players aren’t part of an FC, they can also construct much smaller one-man airships for personal use.

Now I *really* want to know what airships are going to be used for in 3.0.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I'm excited to see how AST plays out. The cool down between their stances is likely to be longer than cleric stance, otherwise a single AST that knows how to stance dance is going to make a huge impact on fights.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

I'm excited to see how AST plays out. The cool down between their stances is likely to be longer than cleric stance, otherwise a single AST that knows how to stance dance is going to make a huge impact on fights.

It's sounding like you can't switch your healing stance in combat, unfortunately.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Agraya posted:

Astrollogians are gonna get a lot of people killed and it'll be funny.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Ah, not able to switch stances in combat would make a lot of sense. They'd be way too powerful otherwise, especially if their shielding stacks with adlo and succors.

e: that loving library, i want it. The music from the dungeon crawl video caught my attention and it's going to be an excellent spooky library.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 26, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That works out pretty nicely with entry level HW gear being 100 ilevels above entry level ARR gear.

I'm guessing that the first tier of leveling gear will be i120, going up by 10 every other level, which lines up with them saying that people with dreadwyrm will have a leg up.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Ouhei posted:

I do have a PS3 controller laying around...that could work if I don't like kb/mouse.

I use a Microsoft Xbox controller on PC and it works really well. I switch back and forth between it and the PS4 controller a lot and barely notice any difference between them now, same with the PS3 controller.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Freak Futanari posted:

Astrollogians are gonna get a lot of people killed and it'll be funny.

Realistically speaking though when you draw the Bole card (that's the one that causes 10% damage taken) it's basically a freebie Spread (shuffle card and draw next card stronger). If you get the 2.7% chance of drawing double Bole then welp.

There is of course, the possibility of a bad translation and the UK QA team doesn't realize it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Now I *really* want to know what airships are going to be used for in 3.0.

FC wide airship battles :black101:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Frontlines by way of Crimson Skies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eej posted:

Realistically speaking though when you draw the Bole card (that's the one that causes 10% damage taken) it's basically a freebie Spread (shuffle card and draw next card stronger). If you get the 2.7% chance of drawing double Bole then welp.

There is of course, the possibility of a bad translation and the UK QA team doesn't realize it.

I would be astounded if the ability to make another player take more damage was actually a thing.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

EvilTaytoMan posted:

If they manage to sneak secret best RPG of all time Skies of Arcadia into FFXIV, I'll never stop playing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fister Roboto posted:

I would be astounded if the ability to make another player take more damage was actually a thing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/37bnbs/heres_my_handson_with_heavensward_twitch_stream/crl9wor

Well apparently this is true as far as we know

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm astounded.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What's cooler is that Living Dead is Holmgang except when you get reduced to 1 hp you become undead and can't die from anything for 10 seconds but that undeath is tied to a Doom effect which is removed by healing to 100%. So you can theoretically take multiple tank busters within that 10 seconds as long as you don't get healed to full until the very end.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
A little surprised were going all the way up to 170 to start with. Was kind expecting level 60 gear to be starting around 150 at max.

Eej posted:

What's cooler is that Living Dead is Holmgang except when you get reduced to 1 hp you become undead and can't die from anything for 10 seconds but that undeath is tied to a Doom effect which is removed by healing to 100%. So you can theoretically take multiple tank busters within that 10 seconds as long as you don't get healed to full until the very end.

This is going to be a very powerful CD with Benediction, Hallowed is still better, but Living Dead will be better then Holmgang if you're coordinating it properly.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 26, 2015

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
So I resubbed and finished the praetorium, which is where I left off at ARR launch. I found a "So you're level 50" checklist on reddit, and on paper it doesn't seem too bad. Assuming I play somewhat regularly is it reasonable to expect to be Heveansward ready come the 19th? I don't care about being first out of the gate or anything, I just worry the queues for old content will be dire for a bit while everyone is doing new content bit hasn't yet leveled the new jobs to 50.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Axle_Stukov posted:

A little surprised were going all the way up to 170 to start with. Was kind expecting level 60 gear to be starting around 150 at max.

This is going to be a very powerful CD with Benediction, Hallowed is still better, but Living Dead will be better then Holmgang if you're coordinating it properly.

170 is the new "low" tomestone gear. The job AF is apparently lower than 170 and will be the first gearset you get at l60.

Also hype for the ability you get as DRK that lets you get HP/MP back from someone in your group if they die during the encounter. Putting it on the BLM every time.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So, I quit 29 days after launch, after getting WHM, BM, and a few other classes to 50, some of the crafting up, and clearing through turn 4. I also have a few relic weapons. How hard would it be to catch up to current content? What new content is there?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Also hype for the ability you get as DRK that lets you get HP/MP back from someone in your group if they die during the encounter. Putting it on the BLM DRG every time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I guess I'm hooked on the game for the time being, so I got a couple of questions.

First, when do I get a mount?

Also, what's the deal with the upcoming expansion?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

So I guess I'm hooked on the game for the time being, so I got a couple of questions.

First, when do I get a mount?

Also, what's the deal with the upcoming expansion?

level 20. you'll get pointed to joining a grand company and then acquiring a chocobo license from them.

what do you mean? it's an mmo expac. higher levels, new zones, new jobs, new race, you have to pay money to access this stuff.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So, I quit 29 days after launch, after getting WHM, BM, and a few other classes to 50, some of the crafting up, and clearing through turn 4. I also have a few relic weapons. How hard would it be to catch up to current content? What new content is there?

Way too much new content. But it's not too hard to catch up, the Crystal Tower dungeons are basically designed for this, especially the weekly quest.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Main thing you should focus on is the main story quests. Expansion comes out next month, and you can only access the new content (level cap to 60, new items / jobs / dungeons / zones / raids / flying mounts) if you have finished all of the main story.

Join up with DGKK or PBC and people will help you with whatever story encounter you have.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

sword_man.gif posted:

level 20. you'll get pointed to joining a grand company and then acquiring a chocobo license from them.

what do you mean? it's an mmo expac. higher levels, new zones, new jobs, new race, you have to pay money to access this stuff.

Somehow missed the pointer to get the chocobo license (:negative:) I'll look into that after work.

Didn't notice the post on the xpac below the OP, I guess I'll just read that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Contest Winner posted:

So I resubbed and finished the praetorium, which is where I left off at ARR launch. I found a "So you're level 50" checklist on reddit, and on paper it doesn't seem too bad. Assuming I play somewhat regularly is it reasonable to expect to be Heveansward ready come the 19th? I don't care about being first out of the gate or anything, I just worry the queues for old content will be dire for a bit while everyone is doing new content bit hasn't yet leveled the new jobs to 50.

You can easily get through the main story stuff even even at an extremely casual rate. You might not be able to see everything else, but the main story shouldn't be a problem at all. Duty queues won't be that bad, and you can even ask your FC or in PF for help - tell them you've got newbie soldiery to give out and they'll flock to you.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I was pretty hype for the new jobs to begin with, but AST getting a grief card has got me so eager to play it. Maybe it's meant to synergize with DRK's death refund.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Somehow missed the pointer to get the chocobo license (:negative:) I'll look into that after work.

Didn't notice the post on the xpac below the OP, I guess I'll just read that.

You get the quest for the chocobo after the Ifrit trial. You choose a grand company to join, and one of the quests immediately after gets you the bird.

Make sure your story quest is always at your level. If your story quest is say, 15 when you are 20, do nothing but story until you need another level to pickup the next quest.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Contest Winner posted:

You should have plenty of time to catch up on the main story. Are you on Excalibur and in one of the goon guilds? I know DGKK guild chat has been quite active the past couple weeks helping people clear first time story content. Queues for older content are actually pretty regular since there are lots of incentives for people to keep running them between relics, Triple Triad cards, pets, and cosmetic gear.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

onesixtwo posted:

You get the quest for the chocobo after the Ifrit trial. You choose a grand company to join, and one of the quests immediately after gets you the bird.

Oh okay. Ifrit appears to be the next objective of my story quest, so I'll get right on that.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
New jobs' cross-classes:

DRK: Gets GLD/MRD
AST: Gets CNJ/THM
MCH: Gets ARC/LNC

MCH gets a pretty sweet cross-class loadout with Raging Strikes, Hawk's Eye, Quelling Strikes, B4B, and Invigorate. Hell, maybe Straight Shot?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

onesixtwo posted:

Main thing you should focus on is the main story quests. Expansion comes out next month, and you can only access the new content (level cap to 60, new items / jobs / dungeons / zones / raids / flying mounts) if you have finished all of the main story.

Join up with DGKK or PBC and people will help you with whatever story encounter you have.

Are sever transfers in? I foolishly did not roll on the goon sever.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So should I be running Tower over and over for solider marks? I was trying to save them to get an ilvl 100 weapon but I was told I can deck out my character quicker and just pray for a drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Ugh I have to level DRG now.

• Locked thread