Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm sure words gets around pretty fast in the biz, Raven probably knew somebody who had first hand knowledge of the situation.

Or he's a liar, y'know, whatever.

I think it was from a shoot video where Raven and Honky started going down scummy_wrestling_stories.txt one by one and talking about them. I can only find the first 10 minutes of it and I don't know what the hell DVD it's from but I want to see the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Has anyone ever commented on how much those stupid shoot interviews pay? There's a few guys who seem to do as many of them as possible and almost every retired wrestler has done at least one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Has anyone ever commented on how much those stupid shoot interviews pay? There's a few guys who seem to do as many of them as possible and almost every retired wrestler has done at least one.

I'd imagine the rate depends on the level of stardom you've achieved. Warlord ain't gettin' the same amount of money that Kevin Nash gets.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
So does everyone WWE hires go into NXT now? I was thinking about what wrestlers are out there that would/could be hired straight into the main roster. I mean, there was Sting but that was a one time thing. Who else?

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Liam Emsa posted:

So does everyone WWE hires go into NXT now? I was thinking about what wrestlers are out there that would/could be hired straight into the main roster. I mean, there was Sting but that was a one time thing. Who else?

Sin Cara

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember Kenta was offered the choice of whether he wanted to start in NXT or not, he said he did.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't think that's true? who said that

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, wasn't part of the deal was that KENTA had to spend a bunch of time in NXT to learn English and adjust his wrestling style? If he went straight to the main roster he would've been a bigger flop than Mistico.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, Devitt should've spent no more than 4-6 weeks while he fine tuned hiis entrance and move set, but KENTA has a definite need for developmental with the language barrier and how much his moveset was impacted

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Is there a particular reason why WWE never seems to talk about Victoria? She seemed like a shoo-in for a lot of countdown programming like the Best Finishers special or the Countdown episode about top divas but she seems to have been stricken from the record. She was pretty much a comedy act for her last couple years in the company so it's probably not a TNA thing.

For that matter, they never really seem to talk about Jazz or Molly Holly either. Do they have dirt on all of them or is history telling us that the women's division post-Attitude was just Trish and Lita?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
She's talked poo poo after leaving, I think.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Dr. rear end posted:

Is there a particular reason why WWE never seems to talk about Victoria? She seemed like a shoo-in for a lot of countdown programming like the Best Finishers special or the Countdown episode about top divas but she seems to have been stricken from the record. She was pretty much a comedy act for her last couple years in the company so it's probably not a TNA thing.

For that matter, they never really seem to talk about Jazz or Molly Holly either. Do they have dirt on all of them or is history telling us that the women's division post-Attitude was just Trish and Lita?

Trish and Lita were the stars and are on good terms, so there's no need for everyone else. Pretty sure Jazz and Victoria have heat, but Jazz wasn't that big of a star. Molly is loved backstage and considered one of the best human being in wrestling but is voluntarily, completely out of the business.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i don't think victoria has any heat with the office but they barely paid attention to her while she was there so just par from the course now that she's not

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Based on how often wrestlers did appearances at her restaurant and how she was always visiting backstage, I don't think Victoria has heat. WWE can't be bothered to pay attention to active women on their roster, so talking about a past wrestler who isn't Sable or Trish is beyond what they are willing to do.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

sin cara is, in fact, the reason everyone most go to NXT before the main roster

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YvDfiAXT8

Is that seriously the real Chavo Sr? Flipping from the top rope and everything?

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

SirDippingSauce posted:

Haha that's no flip it's just him jumping backwards off the top rope. That's him though.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...

LvK posted:

Fujinami and Inoki also both technically worked for the WWE, through transitive properties (Fujinami through several NWA-involved feds, most notably WCW, JCP, and UWF; Inoki through AWA and WWWF) which, with current outlook, I see being an obstacle for NJPW's aces. I'd be surprised if they didn't give at least Ultimo the nod sometime, especially because the website used to love trotting him out as a highly-decorated standout of WCW

Actually both Inoki & Fujinami worked at least one match on WW(W?)F cards in Madison Square Garden.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've been watching some lucha and something piqued my interest. Before the start of the match, the announcer says who is rudo and who is technico. Why is this? This seems like a kayfabe killer.

Unless it's just me loving up Spanish, of course

goc posted:

Actually both Inoki & Fujinami worked at least one match on WW(W?)F cards in Madison Square Garden.

Inoki even held the WWWF title.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...

Smoking Crow posted:

I've been watching some lucha and something piqued my interest. Before the start of the match, the announcer says who is rudo and who is technico. Why is this? This seems like a kayfabe killer.

How is that a kayfabe killer? It's not any different than referring to someone as a fan favorite or mentioning how they are hated by the crowd. The line between rudo & technico is VERY clear in lucha. They are not insider terms like babyface or heel. They've been talking about them that way since at least the 80s.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

goc posted:

How is that a kayfabe killer? It's not any different than referring to someone as a fan favorite or mentioning how they are hated by the crowd. The line between rudo & technico is VERY clear in lucha.

It would be weird if Lillian Garcia came out on Raw and said "For the purposes of this match, John Cena will be your babyface!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
They send everyone through NXT because they want to give NXT credit for building the next generation of guys. It's that simple, really.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...

Smoking Crow posted:

It would be weird if Lillian Garcia came out on Raw and said "For the purposes of this match, John Cena will be your babyface!"

Lucha is not WWE. It would also be weird if guys on Raw started doing a whole lot of rolling bumps.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Smoking Crow posted:

Inoki even held the WWWF title.

oh, hey, I guess he DID get it from Backlund on a house show.

Also WWWF made a special title for him that he carried for eleven years. And I guess it turns out that they used the belt for a different title for a very short time. I love when retired titles accidentally end up staying in Japan for decades.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Smoking Crow posted:

The terms heel and babyface are occasionally used in promos/commentary in Japan too. Watch any Mutoh match from the late '80s/early '90s and you'll hear the announcers going on about "WCW Toppu Heelu"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

goc posted:

Lucha is not WWE. It would also be weird if guys on Raw started doing a whole lot of rolling bumps.

Speaking of bumps, are rolling bumps any safer than regular ones?

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...

Smoking Crow posted:

I would imagine since there are way more old lucha dudes still wrestling than old American wrestlers.

To go back to the rudo/tecnico thing, they still treat lucha like a real sport. Just think of rudo/tecnico as the opposing teams in a sporting contest.

goc fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 25, 2015

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

"Heel" is a word that USED to mean "untrustworthy", it's like old speak that the carny wrestlers picked up (like "mark" isn't a term exclusive to wrestling). So it doesn't break kayfabe to me, it's just a term for "baddie" without necessarily implying "this guy is playing the role of bad guy".

Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

I would imagine so since you're translating some of that momentum into the roll rather than just getting slammed onto your bodyparts.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Smoking Crow posted:

They use a lot of rolling bumps in Mexico because the rings are rock loving hard, so yeah, for their purposes they're much safer.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

triplexpac posted:

They send everyone through NXT because they want to give NXT credit for building the next generation of guys. It's that simple, really.

I thought it was also because Original Sin Cara was such a loving disaster. And the guys down there now who are complete are learning how to work to the WWE camera setup, which is a big thing. Pay attention to some of the pin covers and you see them panic because the logical pin they should make doesn't have their face on the hard camera so they have to jump over the guy on his back to get into position. It's distracting and working with that setup for some time will get them acclimated to it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

SirDippingSauce posted:

Chavo Classic. :colbert:

LIKEINEEDTHIS
Oct 3, 2012

by Smythe
Is there anyway to watch the Lance Storm reality show World of Hurt? Listening to this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zndopFyi9Rw and seeing Emma in the trailer really makes me want to catch up on it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AlmightyPants posted:

Pay attention to some of the pin covers and you see them panic because the logical pin they should make doesn't have their face on the hard camera so they have to jump over the guy on his back to get into position. It's distracting and working with that setup for some time will get them acclimated to it.
Yeah I noticed Owens do this a lot in his early matches. Either his first Neville match or first Zayn match he was constantly having to scoot over and pin facing the hard camera

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

St Evan Echoes posted:

Yeah I noticed Owens do this a lot in his early matches. Either his first Neville match or first Zayn match he was constantly having to scoot over and pin facing the hard camera

It's very common on NXT shows. And that's not a problem with any of these people's work, it's just part of adapting to the WWE system. Better to make mistakes in developmental in front of a crowd that adores everyone (except Corbin, who had to scurry over Rhyno after his finisher on the last Takeover) than on the main roster where Kevin Dunn will have a hissy fit because you weren't in position for his cameras or whatever.

Also now that I've pointed it out you're more likely to be aware of it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That's the dilemma of getting seats facing hard camera. On one hand you get to be in the show the whole time, but nobody's allowed to play to your side.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Did a smartass wrestler ever ask A-Train if he was the premier train or just a single train? Vague memory of this happening. Maybe Jericho?

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
What is generally considered to be the worst Wrestlemania main event ever?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
I'd put HHH vs Jericho up there, mainly because it was positioned horribly as a co-main with Hogan vs Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Purple Monkey posted:

What is generally considered to be the worst Wrestlemania main event ever?

Sid-undertaker is horrendous.