Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
So, midi controllers--I need a good one. Looking for something with ~61 keys and the feel is more important than the cost. It must have midi din as I plan to use it as a VST controller as well as taking it to a buddy's and connecting it to hw synth modules so I can't get by on just usb. I'm very indifferent about the presence/absence of pads/faders/etc though aftertouch would be nice and mod/pitch wheels (or joystick I guess) are required. The number one most important thing is feel though--I'm looking for something with a nice organ feel as I have a fully weighted board already. My DAW of choice is Bitwig if that matters.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something they would highly recommend? I've seen advice to the effect of 'the best controller is another synth' but then next thing I know I'm looking at a 61 key virus or prophet :fap: and I have no idea how good the keybeds on those guys--almost certainly not 6x better than a $500 controller....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm a bit behind on the new stuff on the market, but I'd say one of the current Roland controller keyboards, with or without knobs and sliders, qualifies. Though the joystick is always going to be an acquired taste. I've seen the keybed described as a cross between synthy and organy, where most others would badly try to emulate a piano, I guess. I wouldn't know, but I like how it plays.

Anyway, worth trying that out somewhere.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Fatar still makes a waterfall bed, current studiologic controller with it fitted is the VMK161 but I've never poked one.
Just dive right into the dark realm and just pick up a K2661, it wouldn't cost much more than the studiologic. Plank keys so palming is out but it's a kurz so :getin:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Bolange posted:

So, midi controllers--I need a good one. Looking for something with ~61 keys and the feel is more important than the cost. It must have midi din as I plan to use it as a VST controller as well as taking it to a buddy's and connecting it to hw synth modules so I can't get by on just usb. I'm very indifferent about the presence/absence of pads/faders/etc though aftertouch would be nice and mod/pitch wheels (or joystick I guess) are required. The number one most important thing is feel though--I'm looking for something with a nice organ feel as I have a fully weighted board already. My DAW of choice is Bitwig if that matters.
There are a lot of controllers that have DIN out but still require a USB connection at least for power and configuration. I truly love my Roland A-49 controller. It's slim and minimal, responsive, and very easy on the fingers. It has a MIDI DIN out (but does require USB for power), and I rather like the pitch/mod joystick, although I agree with Flip that it's an acquired taste. BAD NEWS: Only available in 49-key or 88-key models. Also, no keybed aftertouch (although you can map D-Beam to AT).

Roland's premium controller series DOES have keybed aftertouch and a 61-key version: the A-800PRO. I'd use their 49-key version (the A-500PRO) if I had enough room on my desk for it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My Novation Impulse 61 seems to tick all your boxes. It has MIDI but it is USB powered -- but even a little iPhone charging cube is good enough to give it juice.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Radiapathy posted:

There are a lot of controllers that have DIN out but still require a USB connection at least for power and configuration. I truly love my Roland A-49 controller. It's slim and minimal, responsive, and very easy on the fingers. It has a MIDI DIN out (but does require USB for power), and I rather like the pitch/mod joystick, although I agree with Flip that it's an acquired taste. BAD NEWS: Only available in 49-key or 88-key models. Also, no keybed aftertouch (although you can map D-Beam to AT).

Roland's premium controller series DOES have keybed aftertouch and a 61-key version: the A-800PRO. I'd use their 49-key version (the A-500PRO) if I had enough room on my desk for it.
One of the reasons I went for the A800-Pro is that is has a separate socket for power as well. I can just unplug it from the laptop and it seamlessly switches from routing the notes through the laptop to sending it directly to the synths.

For me it's just about avoiding the annoyance of having to replug the cable, but I figure it's a pretty sweet backup feature if you're playing live and your laptop shits itself.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

This is likely a stupid question, but what're a few of your suggestions on how to implement a keyboard onstage?

I picked up an Arturia 61 to use with my cover band and I know I have a lot of options, I'm just trying to figure out the most cost-effective, reliable and 'best' method to work it in.
I don't know if I'm best served with a dedicated iPad, MacBook, Mac Mini, Surface Tablet (they seem to be cheaper than an equivalent iPad), external rack mount sound module or what.

The actual sound interface itself isn't an issue, I'm good with whatever I need to get the sound from my source to the PA itself, I'm just interested in some suggestions for this (also feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for buying the Arturia if applicable).

For reference, my initial thought is to pick up a used MacBook Air which would also give me the option of adding more automation/samples/triggers/etc.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
There is no best method per se. Thing is, if you don't keep an eye on your laptop someone's gonna take it. In that case a JV1080 is less of a target. Always carry backup.

Besides the laptop you need an audio interface and a host to run the plugins.

What is your budget, what are the sounds you are looking for?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Laserjet 4P posted:

There is no best method per se. Thing is, if you don't keep an eye on your laptop someone's gonna take it. In that case a JV1080 is less of a target. Always carry backup.
Yeah, I'm used to having to keep an eye on all my crap, I'd just like to be able to minimize the temptation (like a security cable on a laptop for example).
That was actually a dumb criteria for me to list, because duh.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Besides the laptop you need an audio interface and a host to run the plugins.
I've got several audio interfaces (unless I'm overlooking something critical).
I figured at least for the time being I'd use a Duet, since it's OS X or iOS.
As far as plugin hosts are concerned, I've got several DAW options (PT11, Studio One, Logic Pro X) but one thing I was considering was to use Main Stage (which I already use for guitar sim mostly). The thing that semi-worries me about that is I'm a little worried about system specs.
Ideally, I could grab a MacBook Air 13" for $300 or so, run it into my Duet and bam, done.

Laserjet 4P posted:

What is your budget, what are the sounds you are looking for?
$1000 is roughly what I set aside for this whole project. I've spent $300 on the controller and included software. I already have (what I'm assuming are suitable) audio interfaces.

As far as sounds themselves, nothing specific, right now just a few sounds from traditional piano, hammond organ, strings and eventually weirder techno-industrial stuff.
Right NOW I'd say (and I'm really not trying to be vague) something from Tori Amos to Katy Perry to Journey.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

minidracula posted:

Maybe I'm confused. WAFFLEHOUND: are you selling an OP-1?

Yes, and an RM1x. Probably my 303 because I stand to make like 1400 with the current prices if I'm patient and Jesus I don't want to own a piece of history that badly. I'm in Asia right now though so slow replies. Will trade the RM1x for frequent flier miles, too, if you happen to have a bunch floating around.

As for owning the 303, I don't really pretend it can't be emulated to perfection and I heavily use Phoscyon when I'm making four bar loops. That said, actually having a 303 is less pure music and more owning a chunk of music history for me. A plastic, poo poo to program, easily replicated for cheaper peice of history.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Went out at lunch to the two local big-box music stores to try out some midi controllers and it was super depressing. The feel of the keybeds ranged from mushy garbage to lovely kids toy. The only notable exceptions were the Akai mpk which was ok at best and the Kontrol S61 (but if I'm looking at spending $700 on a controller I'm just going to buy another synth with a nice keybed instead). :negative:

I really just want something that feels like the sub 37 but with 61 keys.

I wish I knew of somewhere near NC where I could physically examine a Virus, Prophet 12, assorted Nords, etc....

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Sizone posted:

Dumbness. Dumbness and craziness.

Seriously, a volca bass will do all the fun stuff plus a whole bunch more.

I have a Volca Bass and I like it, but no... It doesn't sound anything like a 303.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Yeah, the Volca Bass is pretty neat but it's not really too-303-like. I don't even find the x0xb0x that convincing once you push the filters but the TT-303 is spot on and the FR-777 may actually be better than the original.

Bolange posted:

MIDI controllers

Get a Wavestation.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 23, 2015

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Bolange posted:

Went out at lunch to the two local big-box music stores to try out some midi controllers and it was super depressing. The feel of the keybeds ranged from mushy garbage to lovely kids toy. The only notable exceptions were the Akai mpk which was ok at best and the Kontrol S61 (but if I'm looking at spending $700 on a controller I'm just going to buy another synth with a nice keybed instead). :negative:

I really just want something that feels like the sub 37 but with 61 keys.

I wish I knew of somewhere near NC where I could physically examine a Virus, Prophet 12, assorted Nords, etc....

I have an mpk61 and I really like it, but yeah you're right most of the other controllers >500$ feel almost unusably cheap. The m-audio axiom controllers are also pretty good imo.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Number Two Stunna posted:

I have a Volca Bass and I like it, but no... It doesn't sound anything like a 303.

Never said it did, reread the post you are responding to.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man why do I suck so bad at making the Running Up That Hill / Yah Mo Be There pitch enveloped lead?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

sliderule posted:

Oh man why do I suck so bad at making the Running Up That Hill / Yah Mo Be There pitch enveloped lead?
There's a Diva preset called HS Divanity that seems to be an attempt at that sound. Even has similar delay and reverb on it. (Thinking of the lead synth sound in Running Up That Hill. Don't know what sound you're talking about from Ya Mo Be There.)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
This is probably my favourite use of that synth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BFJJPF1Xk

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Speaking from experience, definitely don't buy a Nord thinking it'll have a good keyboard. For inexpensive MIDI controllers the only brand that's impressed me (not that it was awesome, just better than expected) were Alesis controllers. I've not used them but Roland's MIDI keyboards seem like they'd be good too

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
What ever happened to the timbre wolf?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

snorch posted:

What ever happened to the timbre wolf?
It came out, was poo poo and very few people ended up buying one because of that.

And then Akai unveiled the Rhythm Wolf which was equally poo poo but at least the Akai rep showing it off at trade shows was a hilarious moron so some fun videos came from that.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It came out, was poo poo and very few people ended up buying one because of that.

And then Akai unveiled the Rhythm Wolf which was equally poo poo but at least the Akai rep showing it off at trade shows was a hilarious moron so some fun videos came from that.

timbre wolf isnt out yet and the rhythm wolf was first but yeah

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr. Sharps posted:

timbre wolf isnt out yet and the rhythm wolf was first but yeah
Oh right :v: Since they were both similar broken products, I forget that they weren't different versions of the same thing.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh right :v: Since they were both similar broken products, I forget that they weren't different versions of the same thing.

well the timbre wolf is just four rhythm wolf bass sections (the worst part of the rhythm wolf) lashed together to make one big worst thing. the lack of any sort of news post NAMM makes me think that it's probably been scrapped. if you're looking to get your hands on one, the dumpsters behind akai are probably the place to start!

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I was hoping that it would be possible to pick one up a rhythm world for like $50 because everyone seems to hate them so much, but no luck yet :(

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I wouldn't mind grabbing a Tom Cat but yeah I figure it's been scrapped along with the synth.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I still unironically kind of want a XW-PD1 and they actually exist now. Gonna have to wait for the price to drop in half first though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I just want a midi keyboard with wheels (or keytar) and the keys of quality of whatever were in Kurzweil K2000 :smith:
And layering and not being so expensive that I would seriously be better off buying an actual K2000 to use as a midi keyboard
Which wouldn't be a bad idea. Fuuuuuck.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sizone posted:

I still unironically kind of want a XW-PD1 and they actually exist now. Gonna have to wait for the price to drop in half first though.

I hear she'll make point five past lightspeed

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Need a little drum machine shape like boba fett's ship for midi chase events.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I guess naming it the yt-1300 would have been a little on the nose

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of MIDI, does anyone have a link to any particularly good MIDI protocol documentation? Patchblocks might be the perfect little platform for making MIDI transponders (MIDI delays, arpeggiators, etc) and the MIDI port block will be out soon.

It's also a nice platform for CV/Gate utilities as the analog I/O is DC-coupled. Someone made a Turing Machine -esque thing with my sequencer blocks, and browsing eurorack modules it seems that there's a lot of stuff that's just logic that the PB could do easily. Once the eurorack module is released I may have a new problem.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe
My next paycheck is imminent. I can't realistically afford anything but entry-level right now, and even that is highly irresponsible I assure you. But goddamnit, I want to synthesize and I want to do it analog.

The most likely candidate at the moment is (surprise surprise) the MiniBrute. I love the one knob/one function concept, and it looks like a actual instrument, not just an interface. The alternative would be the Novation Bass Station II. It appears to be a bit more versatile, especially when it comes to DAW integration, and might work better with my current setup. But the multifunction keys are a pretty severe turn-off and it's just somehow less mysterious and less sexy than the Brute. At least from afar. I'll get a chance to try them out in a few days, but if anybody has any input that'd be cool. Maybe there's something I'm missing entirely?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Yellow King posted:

Maybe there's something I'm missing entirely?

That having an interface that is one knob per function and relatively affordable entails that the device it's allowing you to interface with won't have many functions.

That if you have more functions you can use envelope generators or lfos or all sorts of noise or arithmetic or logical comparisons between different mod sources to produce complex control signals. And that you can then use those complex control signals to modify the parameters you would otherwise be altering by twisting knobs. In so doing, you patch and in patching you achieve synthhood.

You can have complexity and discrete functions but it will cost you.

Your other choice is to embrace the glory of digital synthesis.

You must realize the current market price for a Kurzweil K200 is basically the same a new minibrute, probably closer to half that if you shop around/get lucky on craigslist. You could have all the polyphony you could want, a synthesis engine that will take a while (possibly forever)to get bored with and a really nice keyboard. The only compromise is that you have to take the time to learn how to use it.

To synth, you have but two options; you can either blow a substantial amount of money over an indeterminate amount of time and build yourself a modular or you can blow a relatively insubstantial amount of money on a good digital synth.

Half measures are not allowed.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 26, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Don't buy a Minibrute. I'm getting one next week because Arturia's knocking a hundred off the price until the end of next month and I gotta make sure they don't run out.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I never use my microbrute if anyone's interested

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

I figured out how I can re-arrange my desk to make room for a 61-key synth or keyboard controller. Now I don't know what to get.

• I like the Roland A-800Pro because it has aftertouch and exactly enough assignable controls for me. I will probably like the key feel too. But it is JUST a keyboard controller.
  • The Komplete Kontrol S61 is attractive because I hear it has an amazing keybed and I would love to be able to see the Kontakt keyswitches on the keyboard. It really is not designed for controlling anything other than NI products though; even though I think you can remap buttons in the NI Controller Editor, I'd like at least 4 freely assignable buttons, and not sure there's enough for that without compromising some of its nice features.
  • The Nektar Panorama looks like it's just about perfect (particularly for me, a Cubase user), however I've now seen multiple negative reviews about how the black keys feel significantly different from the white keys, leading to inconsistent dynamics while playing live.
  • The Akai Advance boards look nice on paper (and I actually really liked my old MPK 49), but Akai is now an InMusic brand, and all of their support and software engineering is like the worst of the worst. I wouldn't feel comfortable getting an Akai product until it's been out long enough to know whether there are any showstopper bugs. (They probably won't get fixed if there are.)
  • JD-XA? Looks sexy as hell but not out til at least end of June. Also it's $2 grand... if it were already known and confirmed good in reviews that might be okay, but I don't wanna guinea pig something brand new at that price.

What's a good 61-key synth-as-controller? Could be an older model. I just want good feeling keys, at least 4 freely mappable buttons, and no mandatory software that sucks.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I might be selling my Microbrute soon as well. Still need to have that heart to heart session where I play with it for a few hours and determine if I'll be sad if I don't have it anymore. Great sounding and lots of features, bought it mostly to use with my modular but I don't interface them as much as I should.

Radiapathy posted:

What's a good 61-key synth-as-controller? Could be an older model. I just want good feeling keys, at least 4 freely mappable buttons, and no mandatory software that sucks.

I was asking myself the same question about a year or so ago since a 61 key instrument takes up a lot of space and it'd be better to have a big synth that doubles as a keyboard controller rather than just a keyboard controller. I did a lot of research on the subject and played around with a few different options but hands down I'd recommend a Roland Alpha Juno 2.

61 keys with the best action of any modernish synth I've played plus a classic synth engine built right into it, aftertouch, velocity, not to mention a bender/mod stick as well as chord memory function (and it's quick and easy to change MIDI channels on the fly. If I could add a feature it would probably be a hold key but for my needs it's the best studio investment I've made in a long time.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 26, 2015

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Decided to treat my eurorack with a Qu-bit Nano Rand. Module is pretty great so far!

SineRider fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Radiapathy posted:

Roland XP30? (the follow-up - http://www.rolandus.com/products/rs-5/ - really had an awful keyboard feel).

Korg Triton also feels pretty decent and romplers depreciate hard so it's not that expensive. It's just that if the touchscreen ever gives out you're kind of hosed.