Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

anatomi posted:

Nilfgaardian sounds like a mix of mainly Dutch sprinkled with German and French to me. This goes for their culture as well.

The only Nlifgaardian I've run into so far is the commander of the camp at the beginning, and if that's supposed to be Dutch/German/French it's really bad. Definitely a Slavic accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's really disappointing that Basilisks, Cockatrices and Griffins are all basically the same.

Edit Wow Nilfgaard is huge

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

edit: also, Jesus loving Christ is there a bank or something I can store my poo poo in for stuff I don't want to carry around all the goddamn time, like all these bitchin weapons and sets of armor I've got?

Hoarders: Buried alive.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Aurain posted:

Is there a clear point of no return?

Spoiler tags for latter parts of story.

Just uncursed UMA. Found out where Ciri is and I want to go see her but not at the expense of everything else. Feels like going there will cancel a lot of stuff so I haven't gone yet. Is it safe to do so or will it put me in the endgame?

It specifically says it'll fail some sidequests when you try to go out there but I'm assuming it's only ones relevant to the main story. You get a chance to do more stuff after that and I still had all my monster contracts and random NPC quests.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Calaveron posted:

I love how the side quests in this game would fit in as important main quests in other rpgs.
Towerful of Mice is incredible and I like how if you read the glossary and bestiary carefully you can figure out what's going on and All Father's Eve is shaping up to be really good (I'm at the part where I need to pay uh, Ambross a visit). I love how the pellar is written and despite how he doesn't fit in how the other characters talk he's still very enjoyable

I'm just past this as well and it was an amazing quest. It's pretty crazy how all of the side quests are so interesting and varied.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Airfoil posted:

The only Nlifgaardian I've run into so far is the commander of the camp at the beginning, and if that's supposed to be Dutch/German/French it's really bad. Definitely a Slavic accent.

They are supposed to be a multi-ethnic empire so it makes sense that they would have different accents. The Nilfgaardian language used in-game is definitely based on Dutch, though.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Being Dutch myself it doesn't sound Dutch.
It sounds like a scandinavian dialect.

haris pilton fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 26, 2015

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

anatomi posted:

Nilfgaardian sounds like a mix of mainly Dutch sprinkled with German and French to me. This goes for their culture as well.

There's some Italian in there as well. When Geralt invades their personal space, it's an exasperated "Che?" (What?) and the verb structure in sentences resembles part French and Italian.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

They are supposed to be a multi-ethnic empire so it makes sense that they would have different accents. The Nilfgaardian language used in-game is definitely based on Dutch, though.

Am I mistaken, or do the Nilfgaardians speak the same language as the elves do? But yeah, many of their names are very Dutch-like as well, which I love because Dutch names are cool and weird.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Has there been any indication of when the official mod tools are going to be released?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hello, my name is explosivo, and I'm addicted to Gwent.

Seriously help me :ohdear:

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
The best part of gwent is the look on merchants faces when you ask them to play. The guy over by the baron has the look of "Someone must have tipped people off I suck at this game, people are coming out of the woodwork to challenge me". And a certain leader of a band of rebels planning their next attack,"Oh you got a deck? Let's lay down!"

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I've told both Triss and Yen that I love them. I feel like this won't go very well.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Out of experience?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is it safe to assume the DLC and expansion content down the road will be aimed at people that have completed the game's main story?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So I'm level 9 in Velen and have just finished the bog storyline. Are there any particularly nice weapon or armor locations I should be snuffing out?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just experienced the best segment in the Witcher games...

Don't mouseover if you don't want to be spoiled and experience for yourself. It takes place after completing the objectives for finding evidence of Ciri in Novigrad, Velen and Skellige

Drunk as gently caress Witchers playing drinking games, dressing up in Yennefer's clothes AND drunk megascope dialing

GAME.
OF.
THE.
loving.
YEAR.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So I bought the Witcher a couple days back and have been having a blast with it. This is the first Witcher game I've played. There are some janky parts but I absolutely love the storytelling. Especially how most choices seem ambiguous - there's very rarely an outright good/bad choice and half the time poo poo goes worse than you thought regardless. I also love how all the sidequests/missions tend to actually be pretty involved and unique (and you can still run across minor encounters on your map as well). I'm only level 9 so there's a lot more content to go! :allears:

Also I definitely take the time out to play gwent each time I run across some peasant who has cards. Gotta collect 'em all!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Phoix posted:

It specifically says it'll fail some sidequests when you try to go out there but I'm assuming it's only ones relevant to the main story. You get a chance to do more stuff after that and I still had all my monster contracts and random NPC quests.

Right on, thanks!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I know the PC version automatically has whatever the hair DLC is but I just want to shave the beard without forfeiting the chance for it to grow back--I've heard the hair DLC renders the beardgrowing null. Is it possible to just get the shaves? I can't even find a barber anywhere in Velen yet.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

MinibarMatchman posted:

I know the PC version automatically has whatever the hair DLC is but I just want to shave the beard without forfeiting the chance for it to grow back--I've heard the hair DLC renders the beardgrowing null. Is it possible to just get the shaves? I can't even find a barber anywhere in Velen yet.

Clean shaven lets the beard grow back. I actually chose close cropped beard and it grew back as well.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Any tips where I can regularly unload my surplus of swords and other gear? As in, merchants who have enough gold to buy what I can sell?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So it turns out the Black Ones have secret concentration camps or something right, because other than the unprovoked war thing the game doesn't seem to be giving me a lot of reasons to dislike them like I do everyone else.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Azazell0 posted:

Any tips where I can regularly unload my surplus of swords and other gear? As in, merchants who have enough gold to buy what I can sell?

Some of the Skellige blacksmiths have a couple grand of gold. You can also meditate a couple days to have them replenish their coffers.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Azazell0 posted:

Well, you can sell them to some merchants who will take them at a fraction of their true value. That will offload the weight, albeit non optimally.

But yeah, you'll want to sell them to a blacksmith.

Alternatively, melt them down.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Gargoyles are a right pain in the arse.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just found Letho during the Ghost of the Past quest and completely messed up his plan. :D

Lugaloco posted:

Surprisingly (at least for me) Yrden works very well because it lets me roll away from the stomps.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

poptart_fairy posted:

So it turns out the Black Ones have secret concentration camps or something right, because other than the unprovoked war thing the game doesn't seem to be giving me a lot of reasons to dislike them like I do everyone else.

You do realize they're the ones responsible for the entire crisis in the Northern kingdoms? They were the ones behind the assassinations in Witcher 2 that led to the rise of Radovid and the persecution of magic users(They tried to pin the blame on Witchers and the Sorceress lodge).

Then there's the war and the countless civilian casualties and yadda yadda yadda.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think the way it works is the DLC beards are just NPC facial hair options so they don't work with the hair growing tech. If you choose either clean shaven or trimmed short your beard will grow. If you choose one of the other styles it won't.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Lugaloco posted:

They're weaker than golems. They stagger from light attacks, you can easily fit in three hits every cycle. Kite them into Yrden and always be ready to roll away from the stomp.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Yeah, I dunno how anyone can play through NML and not come away hating both armies. Read some of the notices posted on the hanging people, the Nilfgaardians aren't exactly progressive. (btw they practice slavery) (also everyone is starving because one army or another stole all the food) (also unprovoked war of conquest)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Broken Cog posted:

You do realize they're the ones responsible for the entire crisis in the Northern kingdoms? They were the ones behind the assassinations in Witcher 2 that led to the rise of Radovid and the persecution of magic users(They tried to pin the blame on Witchers and the Sorceress lodge).

Then there's the war and the countless civilian casualties and yadda yadda yadda.

Well that's what I mean, other than actually winning a war they don't seem any worse than the other armies. The only real difference I've noticed so far is the Nilfies seem happy to pay more for clearing nasties out of civilian areas.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Clocks posted:

Also I definitely take the time out to play gwent each time I run across some peasant who has cards. Gotta collect 'em all!

Gwent is too addictive. I'd put it easily as the second best thing in the game behind the storytelling, while the sandbox and sandbox gameplay are okay but have many minor issues.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

poptart_fairy posted:

Well that's what I mean, other than actually winning a war they don't seem any worse than the other armies. The only real difference I've noticed so far is the Nilfies seem happy to pay more for clearing nasties out of civilian areas.

Well, they do apparently act out punitive measures if they suspect villages have co-operated with enemy troops. Roche mentions that they're about to execute every fifth villager of particular town later in the game, for example. If that's the stuff you're looking for.

Edit: They're probably not "worse" than the other armies. The only faction that seems somewhat "good" might be the Skelligers, but it's in a very noble savage-y way. And even those pseudo-vikings seem to enjoy raiding and pillaging.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 26, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

poptart_fairy posted:

But... "other than the war" is like saying "Other than the pedophilia, he's a pretty OK guy."

EDIT: Keep in mind that the other armies didn't start it, even radovid, megalomaniac mass murderer he is, is essentially reacting to a situation that Emhyr engineered. No matter your opinion on Nilfgaardian wartime law, they started all of this.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 26, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Some people argued in favor of Caesar's Legion so I'm not really surprised that some people like the Nilfgaardians. I guess it's a matter of presentation. The first time you likely meet the legion is in nipton, where they murdered the whole town. In Witcher 3 you meet the fairly reasonable dude in White Orchard.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 26, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The herbalist north of Oxenfurt mentioned there was a better herbalist than himself, a druid in Skellige. I got to Skellige but I have no idea where I'd go to look for druids nor which island they might be on. Roughly where is this person? I found a village herbalist but she's obviously not the person the herbalist was talking about.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Ice Fist posted:

Basically one of the first things I want modded in are some spawns for monsters that are otherwise pretty rare.

Horde mode mulitplayer. :black101: :black101: :black101:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Both sides are terrible and commit atrocities but Nilfgaard is the one who attacked (again) so they get to be the bigger baddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Nakar posted:

The herbalist north of Oxenfurt mentioned there was a better herbalist than himself, a druid in Skellige. I got to Skellige but I have no idea where I'd go to look for druids nor which island they might be on. Roughly where is this person? I found a village herbalist but she's obviously not the person the herbalist was talking about.

East-middle part of Ard Skellig. There's a druid camp and also a sacred oak in that area.