Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Will the cricket 640 work on ATT?

No, according to Paul Thurrott:

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/600330935112966146

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
My biggest issue was the lack of apps, and project Astoria has me seriously considering buying a 640 once Windows Phone 10 is out...They're reeling me back in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah after using Android a bunch so far, it's definitely a fine OS and works well (and Motorola's add-ons are surprisingly well done) but it still just feels a bit like a mess. Like, definitely a design-by-committee thing. The app ecosystem is nice and it's great not venturing into the Play store worrying about "if they'll have an app for my OS!"

That said, I really feel the user experience pales in comparison to Windows Phone. And if they can get the app market situated with Astoria then I would absolutely come back.

Doing an OK Google Now voice command is ridiculous compared to Cortana.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Doing an OK Google Now voice command is ridiculous compared to Cortana.

What do you mean?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RVProfootballer posted:

What do you mean?

Just seems MUCH faster. I have a 2013 Moto X which is a speedy phone. Doing a voice command I say:

"OK Google Now" then have to wait for the beep...can't just right into the command or it won't recognize.

I say "Text My Wife"... it takes a couple of seconds... then starts typing out the command I said.

Couple of seconds more then it basically performs a search of the command I issued it. A second or so later the search recognizes it as a voice command.

Then it performs the actual command... then I have to wait as it asks me to say the message.

Then I can send.

Just seems like it functions a lot slower than Cortana.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

BonoMan posted:

Just seems MUCH faster. I have a 2013 Moto X which is a speedy phone. Doing a voice command I say:

"OK Google Now" then have to wait for the beep...can't just right into the command or it won't recognize.

I say "Text My Wife"... it takes a couple of seconds... then starts typing out the command I said.

Couple of seconds more then it basically performs a search of the command I issued it. A second or so later the search recognizes it as a voice command.

Then it performs the actual command... then I have to wait as it asks me to say the message.

Then I can send.

This was my issue when I used android recently. It was so slow and awkward I turned it off and didn't go back.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Then I can send.

Try dragging the home button up (Opens Google Now), then "Ok, Google" and your command.

You are using the hands free control (A special Motorola only feature) which is much slower but that has nothing to do with Google Now.

I think you will find the actual Google Now voice commands/information much better than Cortana (unless you are trying to figure out who will win a soccer match).

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 22, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stick100 posted:

Try dragging the home button up (Opens Google Now), then "Ok, Google" and your command.

You are using the hands free control (A special Motorola only feature) which is much slower but that has nothing to do with Google Now.

I think you will find the actual Google Now voice commands/information much better than Cortana (unless you are trying to figure out who will win a soccer match).

It's the same thing. I either go to Google Now manually THEN start the message or I just use it hands free from a completely locked screen which simply performs a Google Now command.

I just did it to be sure but it's the exact same thing except one has the initial step manually done versus voice done. Both take roughly the same amount of time.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BonoMan posted:

It's the same thing. I either go to Google Now manually THEN start the message or I just use it hands free from a completely locked screen which simply performs a Google Now command.

I just did it to be sure but it's the exact same thing except one has the initial step manually done versus voice done. Both take roughly the same amount of time.

Touch the microphone in google now and try that way. That will also fire if you say "Ok Google" while at Google Now not "Ok Google Now". If you use "Ok Google Now" you're going through Motorollas special hands free activation even if the screen is on and you are at Google Now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stick100 posted:

Touch the microphone in google now and try that way. That will also fire if you say "Ok Google" while at Google Now not "Ok Google Now". If you use "Ok Google Now" you're going through Motorollas special hands free activation even if the screen is on and you are at Google Now.

Going into Google Now manually and then hitting the microphone does take me all the way to that step that is essentially a google search and it does work a hair faster, but it's STILL just completing manually the exact same steps that the voice activation does. Again it's a hair faster, but kind of gets rid of the point of doing it all with my voice.

And "OK Google" does nothing at all when I'm in Google Now. The only command my phone will recognize, regardless of where I am, is Ok Google Now. Maybe I have a setting turned off?

edit: Actually yeah... going into Google Settings and looking at the "OK Google" detection... they are all grayed out and listed as "unavailable for this device."

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Windows Phone - Where we debug Google Now

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

edit: Actually yeah... going into Google Settings and looking at the "OK Google" detection... they are all grayed out and listed as "unavailable for this device."

Which is certainly a point in WP's favor over Android: consistency of experience across devices. At least you're not trying to use S Voice on a Samsung! Though with things like Glance, WP is moving closer to Android in that way too, hah.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
"OK Google" on my Nexus 5 is about the same speed as Cortana on my Lumia 530: too slow to be a serious feature.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

this is I guess a good a place as any to ask this since there basically is no windows phone news. Is anyone else with a grandfathered zune pass having trouble logging in to zune to use their song credits? It keeps saying wrong email/password combo which i'm quite sure can't be it as I use that same password/email to log into windows.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
In regards to non-Windows OS phones running Windows 10 in the future. When/How will we know what will be compatible? Will it be a case of "You need X specs or model and you're good to flash", or will they be putting out specific builds for each phone that is supported? I'm currently looking at getting a Asus ZenFone 2 in ~2 months and like to be able to jump ship to 10 if possible.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That will be a limited feature. I doubt that the Zenfones will be able to do that, at the other hand they use Intel chipsets and considering the amount of Asus pads running 8.1 that will run Windows 10, you may be lucky. Just get the Elephone that will run both OS's but I don't know the release date on that one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's talk going around about Microsoft toying with the idea of buying Blackberry. Like what!

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's talk going around about Microsoft toying with the idea of buying Blackberry. Like what!

Two failed mobile platforms combined must equal success right?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Got to love the optimism around. Buying blackberry isn't just buying psychal keyboard phones but tech, factories, workers, etc...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Guillermus posted:

Got to love the optimism around. Buying blackberry isn't just buying psychal keyboard phones but tech, factories, workers, etc...

A foothold in the business world...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

blackberry does not own their own factories

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Do I have to enable "motion data" on a Lumia phone for Runtastic not to crap out under the lockscreen? I had it working in the beginning, but now it doesn't anymore. I noticed motion data being disabled just now.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Guillermus posted:

Just more people to fire. Microsoft would just be patent collecting.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Uthor posted:

A foothold in the business world...
Yeah but what the gently caress would they do with QNX?

Dr Tran posted:

Just more people to fire. Microsoft would just be patent collecting.
I don't think there are that many left. Blackberry just started a new round of layoffs.

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013
My 925 is slowly falling apart - the headphone jack died a couple months ago, responsiveness is sluggish, etc. I like the Windows Phone ecosystem and was kinda hoping to stay in it. Originally I was going to wait for a 640XL and jump on that and then get a nice new flagship later, but since there's no update on the release date for AT&T I don't really want to rely on that. Long story short, I was looking around at maybe getting a used 1520 for now, then if the 1520 starts to show its age upgrading like originally planned. Is this a reasonable idea, or has the 1520 not held up well? I know that there were some issues with the digitizer - was that specific to a certain model of the 1520, or are they all suspect?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do I have to enable "motion data" on a Lumia phone for Runtastic not to crap out under the lockscreen? I had it working in the beginning, but now it doesn't anymore. I noticed motion data being disabled just now.

I've had mine come up with "restart required" on motion data a couple of times, and it doesn't work until I restart the phone. With the built in step counting apps and such anyways.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A news report came out that someone found a T-Mobile Lumia 640 at Walmart for $100. Now I'm all hot and bothered.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I had that problem for a while and ended up just making sure that It was allowed to use battery under lock screen. It's not a power hog, but it does have an impact on battery life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

benzoapyrene posted:

My 925 is slowly falling apart - the headphone jack died a couple months ago, responsiveness is sluggish, etc. I like the Windows Phone ecosystem and was kinda hoping to stay in it. Originally I was going to wait for a 640XL and jump on that and then get a nice new flagship later, but since there's no update on the release date for AT&T I don't really want to rely on that. Long story short, I was looking around at maybe getting a used 1520 for now, then if the 1520 starts to show its age upgrading like originally planned. Is this a reasonable idea, or has the 1520 not held up well? I know that there were some issues with the digitizer - was that specific to a certain model of the 1520, or are they all suspect?

I love my 1520 and it shows no signs of aging at all. I say go for it. Every phone will be tiny in comparison after using it.

benzoapyrene
Apr 18, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

I love my 1520 and it shows no signs of aging at all. I say go for it. Every phone will be tiny in comparison after using it.

That's really good to hear. This might be a dumb question, but with a phone that big how awkward is it to pocket? Would it be noticeably uncomfortable if I keep it in my back pocket?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

benzoapyrene posted:

That's really good to hear. This might be a dumb question, but with a phone that big how awkward is it to pocket? Would it be noticeably uncomfortable if I keep it in my back pocket?

I wouldn't ever sit on a smart phone so I wouldn't know. It's not uncomfortable to front pocket it though, but I am 6'1 and 200lbs. :unsmith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

benzoapyrene posted:

I advice against putting any smartphone on your back pocket. Also, depending on how tall/big you are, 6" may be awkward. I'm 5'8 and I always keep my phone on my front pocket (Lumia 925 4,5" and Galaxy S4 5"). I tried my wife's HTC Desire 816 (5,5") and is starting to be too big for my jeans' front pockets. Best thing you can do is, coming from the Android phone thread, to make a cardboard cut with the size of the 1520 and see how it fits. It is a spergy solution but is drat effective and fast.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Alternative pants posted:

I had that problem for a while and ended up just making sure that It was allowed to use battery under lock screen. It's not a power hog, but it does have an impact on battery life.
Caveat: Windows 10 Mobile.

I've enabled motion+data and the app finally seemed to have recorded something, instead of just locking up and crapping out.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Windows Phone: Crapping up and locking out

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

MrKatharsis posted:

A news report came out that someone found a T-Mobile Lumia 640 at Walmart for $100. Now I'm all hot and bothered.

Snapped that today. Go hot wild as the kids say.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The 640XL from Expansys arrived today plus a 64GB microSD card and everything is working great so far. However, seeing that regular 640 for $100 is making me jealous since this 640XL cost me $270. Then again, I wanted the XL for the better cameras.

This particular model is a dual SIM LTE model though, probably as a quirk of being an international model, it looks like it labels LTE as 4G, 4G as H+, and 3G as H. Speed tests indicate that 4G is faster than H+ at about 30/8 Mbps and 15/1 Mbps down/up respectively. But the biggest improvement over my 920 is that Internet Sharing works properly without having to fiddle with any settings. Best of all is that it give a fast and stable enough connection that I can stream full length shows without stuttering or having to downgrade the video quality. Now I can stop swapping my SIM between phones now. :neckbeard: Good thing too because I'm not sure how to remove the SIM card since I'm using it with a nano-to-micro SIM adapter so it's fitting rather snugly right now. :shobon:

As for the phone itself, it's bigger than I expected but noticeably thinner and lighter than my 920 considering how much larger the 640XL is. I'm still getting used to trying to use it one handed by adjusting my grip but it definitely feels more manageable to do than on the 1520 display models that I've tried. It's so big that it just barely fits in the Nokia car cradle. It's barely small enough to easily slide in and out of the cradle and the clamps only lock in a few clicks gripping the phone tightly. The screen is really nice, especially since my 920 has developed a noticeable yellow hue. However, the pixels are more noticeable if you look closely at the screen.

The lack of Qi is going to be problematic given all the charging pads that I've invested in. While I have a Qi-to-micro-USB adapter on the way, it'll be a couple weeks before it gets here and the one that I got for my Samsung Focus doesn't work too well with the removable back plate. Basically, there's no way to hide the charging pad under the back plate since the back plate has a opening for the micro USB port that's too small for the adapter to fit. I could open up the opening so that the adapter plug will fit but I'm reticent about taking a brand new phone under the knife. I do have the option of getting a cover for the 640XL and hiding the adapter under that though I'll have to be certain to get a cover that's thin enough for the Qi to work. Hopefully, those mysterious contact pads under the back plate is for a back plate with built-in Qi and won't be too expensive.

As for performance, everything is running quickly and smoothly. However, it seems that the Wifi doesn't have 5 GHz support like the 920. As for the capacity, I was a little worried at first about restoring from my 920's backup because of the 8GB of internal storage. Fortunately I was able to switch the default storage settings to the SD card and move what apps that were installed during the recovery process fairly easily. However, it's problematic that there are some apps and app data that can't be moved to the SD card. This will be especially problematic for maps because I just barely have enough room to cache all of the US.

In all, it's been overall a great upgrade from my 920. The only downsides are I find is the lack of Qi, no physical camera button, small internal storage, and a persistent empty SIM indicator in the notification bar for the second SIM slot that I'll never use but can't seem to make it disappear. However, I will kick myself if a 640XL that works with T-Mobile comes out for less than $200 within the next few weeks.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
That's nice.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Really wondering when will the 640XL LTE will arrive at spain. Amazon only imports 3G variants and most big retailers barely touch windows devices.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last week I switched from AT&T to Cricket. Under AT&T I was eligible for a new phone since last year so I started off purchasing a 640 from Cricket. However, my wife was still under contract for her 1020 so she brought that over.

The first thing that happened after activating the phone was that her Visual Voicemail went away. No phone option to enable it. Between talking to Cricket and Googling, I found that its apparently tied to settings in the carrier's firmware and only available for device purchases from Cricket.

What is the technical reason for this?

And is there a way around it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I had visual voicemail issues on my 1020 and the way I got it to show up was to change my voicemail password from the voicemail menu.