Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RentACop posted:

Jeff sucks and I hate him, so this episode was just the pits

Why do you dislike Jeff. He is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
As wacky and insane as American Dad can be I'd still like to have episodes with actual plots that lead somewhere.

Though I really have to congratulate the voice actors on their Mandarin pronunciation. Their accents were actually relatively mild in that last bit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thought this might be one of those episodes that I didn't get, but everyone else thought was funny. Glad to see that wasn't the case, this one was a real miss.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I thought it was going to end up that it was Klaus doing the Fung Wah voice and making his own episode of American Dad up, because he was tired of being ignored.

Instead, it turns out that nothing good happens at all. Did the Fox writers go out for an entire week on holiday and leave the no-wage intern to write the episode? Very disappointing.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Well, that certainly was... something, wasn't it?

... What the hell was that exactly?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was funny, it helps to think of it as one of their gimmick episodes, just that the gimmick kind of buries the lede.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

muscles like this? posted:

I thought it was funny, it helps to think of it as one of their gimmick episodes, just that the gimmick kind of buries the lede.

Yeah the central gag works, but then the episode is left without an ending and that just sucks.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Definitely a gimmick episode but I loved it and "American Chinese Dad". The psychiatric ward plot was worth it for Puddin on the Hits.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The worst thing about this episode is now I have to look up vacations in Bali.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

sbaldrick posted:

The worst thing about this episode is now I have to look up vacations in Bali.
Is there actually a 1.6km long lazy river at some resort there?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That was really bad

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Small White Dragon posted:

I didn't see one, but there are a lot more resorts in Bali then I thought.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
The worst part of it is that that was the episode right before the season finale, thanks for leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth the finale better be loving great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Thought it was funny, it was making fun of how when someone buys a show/something they did it to use for their advantage. All the Fung Wah product placement, Fung Wah becoming part of the main cast even the main character, and Fung Wah resort even cure lobomities! Also that music for the credits was boss.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Small White Dragon posted:

I did some underground rivers like this in Mexico, about that length. It ruled and I want to spend my life in one now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mr. Fowl posted:

That was really bad

Still not as bad as the My Morning Jacket episode.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Nah, that had jokes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, that had jokes.

Yeah, but it had My Morning Jacket.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
The episode left a bad taste in my mouth. There was no basic story and this felt like a Family Guy episode having Conway Twitty going non stop. It was not worth watching. The song at the end had a nice feel to it but it could not save the whole pile of poo poo that was animated.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
A friend watched the "A Ward Show" episode. Refused to watch it again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

The episode left a bad taste in my mouth. There was no basic story and this felt like a Family Guy episode having Conway Twitty going non stop. It was not worth watching. The song at the end had a nice feel to it but it could not save the whole pile of poo poo that was animated.
Yeah they seemed to have a hard time writing actual jokes beyond the basic one for this.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Tenzarin posted:

A friend watched the "A Ward Show" episode. Refused to watch it again.

"How many beers have you had?"
"Just one... but it was the BIGGEST BEER IN THE UNIVERSE!"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Does anyone know the name of the Chinese song that played over the credits?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
That was very very bad. The conceit of the episode could work but I don't think this show is the correct one to pull it off.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mister Kingdom posted:

I would argue that this one is worse.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Does anyone know the name of the Chinese song that played over the credits?

The Last One by Sammi Cheng.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Really didn't like it.
If you're gonna do a 'fourth wall' episode, you better have some very good reasons. Like a good story, lots of jokes.
This didn't really have any of that.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

sbaldrick posted:

I didn't see one, but there are a lot more resorts in Bali then I thought.

it's full of Australians vomiting into each others mouths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NrIz_khQM

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did some underground rivers like this in Mexico, about that length. It ruled and I want to spend my life in one now.
Well Mexico is much closer.

Whorelord posted:

it's full of Australians vomiting into each others mouths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NrIz_khQM
Not going to Bali now.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Gromit posted:

The Last One by Sammi Cheng.

People who were into Dance Dance Revolution way back when would recognize it as 'Bakkwo.'

And the Golf course it showed in the end is in Kaanapali, Maui for more post episode analysis!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't quite understand the negative reaction this got. I get that the main plot had no ending, but it was clear from the start that this was not a typical episode, and the ending it did have was pretty funny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It was essentially the same joke for 30 minutes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I liked the "yeah, go check you mailbox and tell me it's dry" joke.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just realized, they missed an obvious joke. They shouldn't have had Haley in that episode at all.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was essentially the same joke for 30 minutes.

Kind of, but the uses of it were pretty entertaining. I enjoyed how it seemed like the show was actively falling apart at the seams. American Dad has always had a good handle on having completely unhinged ridiculousness, and this was just another example of that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nichael posted:

Kind of, but the uses of it were pretty entertaining. I enjoyed how it seemed like the show was actively falling apart at the seams. American Dad has always had a good handle on having completely unhinged ridiculousness, and this was just another example of that.

But that's another problem, it only started falling apart in the B plot. The anniversary/asylum plot was untouched. It could've been in any other American Dad episode, if it had more jokes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
my guess is they took an incomplete script that they never figured out how to resolve properly(the asylum plot) and welded it to some ridiculously retarded experimental B-plot idea that someone on the staff had, and it led to this supremely dumb episode becoming a thing

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

But that's another problem, it only started falling apart in the B plot. The anniversary/asylum plot was untouched. It could've been in any other American Dad episode, if it had more jokes.

Maybe this is just my interpretation of it, but the A-plot from the very start seemed like a conscious nod to how often even American Dad goes to the standard sitcom well of plots. The sheer banality of a husband forgetting an anniversary was begging to be turned into something much more bizarre. And sure, the asylum segment did accomplish that, but even then, it still seemed rather conventional for standards of the show's universe. Making it bizarre again though turned the whole thing on its head. That's what made it work for me. I can understand where people who disliked this are coming from, but to me, this was just a great example of the show's voice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Holy poo poo, Fung Wah was Harry Kim from Star Trek Voyager. Some glasses and longer hair completely hid him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's who Garrett Wang was playing? drat. I saw his name in the credits but did not recognize him at all.