Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

So why aren't cameras allowed into the courtroom? Are there reasons that make sense about why the court is so secretive?

The Justices historically have said they dislike having snippets of argument taken out of context as sound bites.

Mostly though it's "because we can." They're public figures already - I'd imagine they're perfectly happy to have one sphere in which they can exert a little control over that.

E: also it's not really fair to call it secretive. Everything they say is transcribed and released. Much of it is released in audio format. The public at large can go in and observe. There's nothing secret about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's mainly because the court is conducted in the nude, that's the secret.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FAUXTON posted:

It's mainly because the court is conducted in the nude, that's the secret.

They say "all rise", but I'm way ahead of them.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Vahakyla posted:

So why aren't cameras allowed into the courtroom? Are there reasons that make sense about why the court is so secretive?

Tradition, mostly. No.

Relevant Last Week Tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9prhPV2PI

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Court has agreed to consider a challenge to the '1 person, one vote' rule from 1964 that involves how states draw districts. If the court rules in favor of the plaintiffs, it would greatly help the GOP, since anyone ineligible to vote would no longer be counted when determining districts. So felons, immigrants, children, etc could be excluded.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Read all three opinions. Found myself actually agreeing with the principal dissent in the bankruptcy case. Consent can't cure constitutional violations, but this wasn't a violation anyway.

The more things we can push to article I judges the better (in general).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Court has agreed to consider a challenge to the '1 person, one vote' rule from 1964 that involves how states draw districts. If the court rules in favor of the plaintiffs, it would greatly help the GOP, since anyone ineligible to vote would no longer be counted when determining districts. So felons, immigrants, children, etc could be excluded.

They should compromise and make those ineligible voters worth 3/5 of a voter for representational purposes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FlamingLiberal posted:

This would 100% gently caress a certain town in Florida that is a hilarious shithole so I support it.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

duz posted:

They should compromise and make those ineligible voters worth 3/5 of a voter for representational purposes.

:boom: :iceburn:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's kind of dumb that felons are counted anyway, especially since they're counted at their place of incarceration rather than their previous home address or whatever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

And with the wonders of modern technology, it's easier than ever to purge ineligible voters from the rolls!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

computer parts posted:

It's kind of dumb that felons are counted anyway, especially since they're counted at their place of incarceration rather than their previous home address or whatever.

Wouldn't be quite as dumb if we actually allowed felons to vote.

Reminder that the most common felony in the US is possession of small amounts of drugs.

Also felonies: Disorderly conduct, Curfew and loitering, and public drunkenness.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Forever_Peace posted:

Also felonies: Disorderly conduct, Curfew and loitering, and public drunkenness.

In what jurisdictions?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Where do you live that any of those are felonies?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Forever_Peace posted:

Wouldn't be quite as dumb if we actually allowed felons to vote.

Reminder that the most common felony in the US is possession of small amounts of drugs.

On the plus side, it would give states a good reason to push for felons to be given their full civil rights backs.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Series DD Funding posted:

In what jurisdictions?

I had looked for a list of the most common felonies, and this one cited what sounded like a credible source (and also had a list very similar to others). Note: I didn't bother actually checking the source.

Some additional googling seems to indicate that disorderly conduct, loitering, and drunkenness can all escalate to felonies in a number of states, but that it isn't automatic. For example, disordly conduct while carrying a firearm, loitering with "malicious intent", loitering in way that interferes with religious observance, a sex offender loitering in a "community safe zone", criminal nuisance, taunting a police animal (seriously), "rioting" (essentially disorderly conduct charge) etc.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 26, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Forever_Peace posted:

I had looked for a list of the most common felonies, and this one cited what sounded like a credible source (and also had a list very similar to others). Note: I didn't bother actually checking the source.

Some additional googling seems to indicate that disorderly conduct, loitering, and drunkenness can all escalate to felonies in a number of states, but that it isn't automatic. For example, disordly conduct while carrying a firearm, loitering with "malicious intent", loitering in way that interferes with religious observance, a sex offender loitering in a "community safe zone", criminal nuisance, taunting a police animal (seriously), "rioting" (essentially disorderly conduct charge) etc.

Nope. You're citing to the legal advertising equivalent of One Weird Trick. Also, the felon voting situation is more complicated- the state regimes vary widely. 11 states have a permanent bar, though my understanding is that all of those have some (rarely applied) reversal mechanisms.

computer parts posted:

Under democratic principles, their vote would probably be more important in determining the governance of their place of incarceration than their previous home address, to the extent that it makes a ballot difference. The real concern is that the restrictions also apply once they're released- but I'm pretty sure residency doesn't stick to the jail once they're released.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 26, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to wonder: if it were permissible to do it the way they want it to be done (by eligible/registered voter) instead of total population and that were something that benefited the GOP... why hasn't Texas already done it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

I have to wonder: if it were permissible to do it the way they want it to be done (by eligible/registered voter) instead of total population and that were something that benefited the GOP... why hasn't Texas already done it?

Until recently, Texas was subject to VRA pre-clearance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Congrats to the GOP for their upcoming 5-4 victory that allows them to keep hold of power for an additional decade or more.

VitalSigns posted:

And with the wonders of modern technology, it's easier than ever to purge ineligible voters from the rolls!

Crosscheck is so loving evil that it makes Cheney look decent.

"Yeah here's millions of people that are definitely illegal voters, so lets purge them all (and likely never tell them). Oh hey look at all these close races we're winning!"

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Lol I remember when progressives were on the other side of this, complaining about city criminals being imprisoned in rural prisons to artificially boost their population. And there's nothing wrong with Crosscheck :ssh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

Texas would disproportionately lose from doing it by eligible voters.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Perhaps they could compromise, with a fraction even.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lol I remember when progressives were on the other side of this, complaining about city criminals being imprisoned in rural prisons to artificially boost their population. And there's nothing wrong with Crosscheck :ssh:

You know there's a massive difference between prisoners who are completely isolated from the outside world and non-voters who are integrated in the local economy and society and who use public services. We know that. But apparently you don't know that we know that. So I give that attempt at trolling a pity D-.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And there's nothing wrong with Crosscheck :ssh:

Got a source on that, champ? I would love to be reassured about the state of our democracy.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In case you thought that taking those two cases wasn't bad enough, for those of you CS and programmer folks keeping track at home, with the White House's response to SCOTUS today, it is looking increasingly unlikely that SCOTUS will take Oracle v. Google, effectively granting copyright to APIs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In case you thought that taking those two cases wasn't bad enough, for those of you CS and programmer folks keeping track at home, with the White House's response to SCOTUS today, it is looking increasingly unlikely that SCOTUS will take Oracle v. Google, effectively granting copyright to APIs.

I'm not sure I understand google's claim or the open source handwringing about APIs being copywritable. Google basically rewrote a chunk of Java, but they also flat out copied portions of the Java api without licensing it and then sold it commercially. By preventing that, I don't think the roof is going to fall. Also the article you linked is written by the brother of a google exec and is certainly biased.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
So a state like Texas or Florida will get the benefit of having more reps to count to their population but won't have to include them in their districts? Isn't that unfair to other states who don't have a bigger immigrant population?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mooseontheloose posted:

So a state like Texas or Florida will get the benefit of having more reps to count to their population but won't have to include them in their districts? Isn't that unfair to other states who don't have a bigger immigrant population?

To be fair, the same is true for California, New York and New Jersey. Of course they would also be losing prison populations, which is going to effect rural areas and Southern States the most. Kids should be somewhat uniform. Assuming every state follows the new rules, I'm not entirely sure this would, in aggregate, benefit either party. It will make gerrymandering somewhat more difficult since Bumfuck, Nowhere's giant prison isn't going to count towards population anymore and minority districts are going to be even harder to justifiably combine in states with redistricting regulations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Gyges posted:

Kids should be somewhat uniform.

Kids are going to have way more impact than prisons. Under 18 populations, per county, vary between 0 and 42% according to the 2010 census. Guess where kids are most concentrated.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 27, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fosborb posted:

Kids are going to have way more impact than prisons. Under 18 populations, per county, vary between 0 and 42% according to the 2010 census. Guess where kids are most concentrated.

No, the assessment is right. Counties are a level too low to be really concerned with that effect. You'll be apportioned your # of CDs based on the overall state population, not per county population.

Most states are somewhere in the 24-26% range of under-18 voters. Utah and Maine are the major outliers at 31% and 20%.

You aren't required to stitch CDs based on county lines either.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The one-man one-vote case affects only the distribution of representatives in the state, not the number they get, which is fixed by the 14th Amendment as based on the number of actual people, reduced by the percentage of over-21 male citizens denied the right to vote:

quote:

Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

I don't actually think the 'male' part and the '21' part are amended by the amendments guaranteeing the vote to women and 18-21 year olds.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

evilweasel posted:

The one-man one-vote case affects only the distribution of representatives in the state, not the number they get, which is fixed by the 14th Amendment as based on the number of actual people, reduced by the percentage of over-21 male citizens denied the right to vote:

I don't actually think the 'male' part and the '21' part are amended by the amendments guaranteeing the vote to women and 18-21 year olds.

I thought the point of contention was what "persons" counted as.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

Got a source on that, champ? I would love to be reassured about the state of our democracy.

Well democracy is questionably good and felon disenfranchisement is definitely bad, but you accept these premises what's wrong with making sure people aren't registered in multiple locations?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not sure I understand google's claim or the open source handwringing about APIs being copywritable. Google basically rewrote a chunk of Java, but they also flat out copied portions of the Java api without licensing it and then sold it commercially. By preventing that, I don't think the roof is going to fall. Also the article you linked is written by the brother of a google exec and is certainly biased.

Just as a single example, it likely would've been impossible for Firefox to correctly render designed-for-IE pages back when that was a thing without copying Microsoft's APIs. It's a massive change.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That case has a ton of nuance in it, the Supreme Court could just want to correct some other aspect of the decision. Finding the file/function that was copied irrelevant for example.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

...what's wrong with making sure people aren't registered in multiple locations?
That's all fine and good, but what does it have to do with crosscheck lists only using first and last names to wrongly include eligible voters on their lists?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just as a single example, it likely would've been impossible for Firefox to correctly render designed-for-IE pages back when that was a thing without copying Microsoft's APIs. It's a massive change.

That was something that would have been addressed and allowed under fair use or some other sort of legal principle. Google blatantly stole code with the attitude "let them sue us if they don't like it" because they refused to license java.

I remember back when the case first came out I read the decision and agreed with it that google violated Oracle's copyright and nothing I've seen since has really made a compelling argument otherwise.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was something that would have been addressed and allowed under fair use or some other sort of legal principle. Google blatantly stole code with the attitude "let them sue us if they don't like it" because they refused to license java.

I remember back when the case first came out I read the decision and agreed with it that google violated Oracle's copyright and nothing I've seen since has really made a compelling argument otherwise.

Copying an API is not stealing code.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr. Nice! posted:

APIs are definitions on how to interact with software. By definition you have to copy it, otherwise you can't interact with the program. Making APIs copyrightable means that now every single Windows program written by non-Microsoft companies now infringe on Microsoft's copyrights. Unless of course they got permission from Microsoft, which I'm sure they'll never reject anyone for spurious reasons. Or to put it in terms a goon would care about, every single game on Steam would violate Valve's copyrights.

duz fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

what's wrong with making sure people aren't registered in multiple locations?