Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspirons are poo poo, stick with latitudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Inspirons are poo poo, stick with latitudes

Wish I'd known that before I got it. Then again it's not like I was spoilt for choice. For my main use I'll have a USB keyboard and mouse, most of what I care about are the internals, I'm just pissed cause I've barely used it and I have an issue already.
At least the warranty is good, maybe I can get more out of them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bob Morales posted:

All consumer laptops ever are poo poo

fixed that for you

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Hadlock posted:

Pro Books are NOT Elite Books. Double check what you're considering purchasing. Elite Books generally have very good keyboards.

How is the EB 8440w? Hits most of my check marks. Under $400 on eBay with SSD. It looks like the keyboard changes from the 84s to the 85s. One site described the latter as having a "partial chiclet," whatever that means.

Almost got a Dell Latitude 6430u, but there were weird news reports of some of them smelling like cat piss. I'd rather my laptop not smell like cat piss.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Yes, Lenovo ships it setup with a driver and its used as a cache drive

I personally would remove the 16GB drive and replace with a 256 or 512 before I even turned the drat thing on.

Ok, so it does show up as its own block device, but they ship it with (windows) drivers to use it as a persistent block cache? That makes more sense.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anything particularly damning about Lenovo Flex 2? It's not in their "business" line but it seems to have a lot of what I need - 1080p, touchscreen, Intel i7 processor. Even an optical drive, which I like.

Also, is there like a chart that compares Intel HD graphics specs directly to GeForce equivalents? It'd come in handy when looking at Steam's system requirements. There's just a couple games I'd like to make sure I can run with "recommended" specs before I commit to a purchase.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Minidust posted:

Anything particularly damning about Lenovo Flex 2? It's not in their "business" line but it seems to have a lot of what I need - 1080p, touchscreen, Intel i7 processor. Even an optical drive, which I like.

Also, is there like a chart that compares Intel HD graphics specs directly to GeForce equivalents? It'd come in handy when looking at Steam's system requirements. There's just a couple games I'd like to make sure I can run with "recommended" specs before I commit to a purchase.

notebookcheck is your friend here

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Iron Rose posted:

notebookcheck is your friend here
Oh wow, I'm gonna have to spend some time there. Thanks!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

How is the EB 8440w? Hits most of my check marks.

Yeah it's good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, so it does show up as its own block device, but they ship it with (windows) drivers to use it as a persistent block cache? That makes more sense.

Yes, it shows up like any other drive in windows and the bios

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bob Morales posted:

Yes, it shows up like any other drive in windows and the bios
True. Won't show up in explorer when in use with the software Lenovo uses though. And good too, because that would be sure to confuse some people.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Swinging back towards the Thinkpad Yoga in my shopping. Any thoughts on this model, currently offered at $899 through the perks site?

Processor: Intel Core i7-5500U Processor( 2.40GHz 1600MHz 4MB)
Display: 15.6" FHD IPS LED with Intel® RealSense™ Camera (1920x1080)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 840M 2GB 2GB (4GB total I guess?)
Memory: 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz
Hard Drive: 256GB SSD SATA III

If you follow this link it's the model all the way to the right.

One negative is that the memory might not be upgradeable, so I think this might top out at 8GB. Considering the other specs, should 8GB do me good for a while? I don't plan on doing cutting-edge gaming, maybe just light fare like Pinball Arcade and card games.

I have no idea what to make of that camera, so basically I'll ask - would this still be a good deal without that camera attached? I'm not convinced I'll ever use it.

This is gonna be my "main" computer for personal use, but I'm also gonna use it for work a lot, so for that purpose I think this looks like a great deal. With an SSD (which I've never had in a PC before!) and a general speed increase, I'm probably gonna feel really light on my feet with this thing.

I just went to the local Microcenter to try some models myself and see how they feel in my hands. While I do like Flex's optical drive and confirmed expandable RAM, the whole "folding into a tablet" Yoga gimmick really won me over. I've always had a hard time justifying a tablet purchase, but the thought of using my actual PC as a tablet is quite appealing to me now that I've held the thing (well, it was a different model in the same series, actually with a slower processor).

Minidust fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 25, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Wasn't the memory on that one one of the things you can upgrade just not through them or w/e?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Fetus Tree posted:

Wasn't the memory on that one one of the things you can upgrade just not through them or w/e?
I'd refer to Newegg for that sort of thing but they don't have this model listed. So I was just going by the "Tech Specs" tab on that link, which states lists the memory as "Up to 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz". However, now that I think about it, that might just be referring to the different models listed on that product page.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not upgradeable in the Thinkpad Yoga.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Aphrodite posted:

It's not upgradeable in the Thinkpad Yoga.
aha... thanks!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I think I want a laptop to play Blizzard games on... a dangerous admission, but my desktop already handles everything else, I just need a glorified D3 and Heroes of the Storm box for when the old lady hogs it. Judging by the OP that puts me in a used or refurbished Lenovo, but I'm not sure which I should be focusing on. I don't care about size or portability a ton; I travel with just a kindle and pretty much anything beats a desktop. Cost is a concern, though. Any thoughts?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not familiar with the new Storm game but their website says it will run on an HD3000 which is quite a bit less (25% or more) powerful than the HD4000. I would get a refurb Haswell with an HD4500 or HD4600 both for better graphics performance and better battery life.

You could get a laptop with dedicated GPU but why limit yourself if it's not necessary? I would wait until it's officially released to see how it holds up on the HD3000/HD4500 before pulling the trigger.

Your biggest decision will probably be screen resolution, weight and keyboard quality.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Bit the bullet and bought an Asus ux305.

It does, however, come replete with garbage tools that I don't care about and trials for stuff I care less about. Is there a single program that I can use to just hack all this stuff off?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did you get the Signature Edition Laptop + from the Microsoft store? In which case it won't have most of the crufty crap installed.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hadlock posted:

Did you get the Signature Edition Laptop + from the Microsoft store? In which case it won't have most of the crufty crap installed.

I did not, no.

Also pretty appalled at needing to pay 140 euro for MS office that doesn't have outlook, or 260 for + Outlook. Extortionate assholes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Junior G-man posted:

I did not, no.

Also pretty appalled at needing to pay 140 euro for MS office that doesn't have outlook, or 260 for + Outlook. Extortionate assholes.

You can also get a office 365 university license. It's cheap reasonable not entirely extortionate and comes with everything for 4 years. Oh and outlook sucks, unless your employer requires it, in which case your work computer should already have it :v:

Junior G-man posted:

Bit the bullet and bought an Asus ux305.

It does, however, come replete with garbage tools that I don't care about and trials for stuff I care less about. Is there a single program that I can use to just hack all this stuff off?

Download all actually necessary drivers, nuke and pave.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I wanna thank people here for the informative posts, and especially the OP. I pulled the trigger and ordered Thinkpad Yoga 15 last night!

And I just realized that my desktop at work wasn't even doing 1080p... the screen just felt so much roomier than my current laptop that I assumed it was "full HD." But nope, I checked this morning and it caps off at 1600x900. So this new laptop will actually be my first taste of 1920x1080 computing... and I've accidentally created a new preferred work environment. :) And it's a MASSIVE upgrade to my "home" computer, and kinda my first tablet too. Plus I'll dabble around in some games from the current decade. Very excited! :rock: Thanks again thread.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Minidust posted:

I wanna thank people here for the informative posts, and especially the OP. I pulled the trigger and ordered Thinkpad Yoga 15 last night!

And I just realized that my desktop at work wasn't even doing 1080p... the screen just felt so much roomier than my current laptop that I assumed it was "full HD." But nope, I checked this morning and it caps off at 1600x900. So this new laptop will actually be my first taste of 1920x1080 computing... and I've accidentally created a new preferred work environment. :) And it's a MASSIVE upgrade to my "home" computer, and kinda my first tablet too. Plus I'll dabble around in some games from the current decade. Very excited! :rock: Thanks again thread.

drat, I can only imagine how much your mind would be blown at the sight of a 2560x1440 monitor.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Went to the Microsoft Store to look at a Stream 11 after reading the OP and they don't have that but they do have the Stream 13 which as best as I can tell is the same computer but a 13" screen instead of an 11" for $30 more. Sorry for the noob question but can anyone help confirm it's the same computer as the 11" as far as display and internals? As long as it is I'm pretty sure I'm picking this up. Thanks!

Edit: Everything I could find online indicated this was the case so, purchased! Happy to have a new laptop for the first time since 2007 :downs:

Referee fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 26, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
When you guys replace the HDD on Lenovo laptops with a solid state drive, do you keep all of the 7 partitions that Lenovo ships them with or do you drop some? I'm pretty intimidated by the 40+GB of recovery, OEM, LENOVO, and PBR_DRV partitions that I have on here.

Edit: I only need space for about 160-180GB of stuff, plus the overhead for NTFS to stay happy and to avoid write amplification. I was hoping to get by on a 250GB SSD, but they're actually 232GB formatted and there's 40GB of Lenovo poo poo on here so that is going to force me to get a 500GB.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 26, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I just clean install and ignore all those extra partitions and the recovery partition.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Twerk from Home posted:

When you guys replace the HDD on Lenovo laptops with a solid state drive, do you keep all of the 7 partitions that Lenovo ships them with or do you drop some? I'm pretty intimidated by the 40+GB of recovery, OEM, LENOVO, and PBR_DRV partitions that I have on here.

Edit: I only need space for about 160-180GB of stuff, plus the overhead for NTFS to stay happy and to avoid write amplification. I was hoping to get by on a 250GB SSD, but they're actually 232GB formatted and there's 40GB of Lenovo poo poo on here so that is going to force me to get a 500GB.
I just did a completely clean Windows install from media provided by Microsoft. The whole recovery thing only has value when install media are hard to get by, if you care for any of the provided crapware and/or if drivers are hard to come by. For a Windows 8 Lenovo laptop, none of those should be true.

That said, I do have a complete image of the laptop from before its first boot into Windows on my NAS, because that's what I'm like.

You probably should get the 500GB drive though, if this all has to hinge on a couple of tens of GB. I hate stressing about poo poo like that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Flipperwaldt posted:

You probably should get the 500GB drive though, if this all has to hinge on a couple of tens of GB. I hate stressing about poo poo like that.

I can very comfortably live inside of 180GB and it won't cause any friction. I have a bunch of computers and network storage, so I'm not counting on this guy to do anything more than my whole big fat development environment + one modern game on it at a time. The issue is just that with the OEM partitions, a 250GB SSD can't hold 180GB of stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My employer is replacing my boat anchor EliteBook 8460p! Help me decide what to get.
I have the option between an HP EliteBook 850 G1 and a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga.
Yoga seems to have a crappy, low res screen and only has 4gb of RAM. But it would also be nice to have a smaller laptop instead of the big, traditional 850 G1.

Has anyone used either of them? My primary use is spreadsheets/outlook and handful of complex Excel models. I regularly max out my current 4gb of RAM

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Thinkpad Yoga has a 1080p IPS screen, depending on the size you get. My best bud is living in Colombia with that as his primary machine and loves it. He has the 13" model I believe. There is a minor issue with ghosting on flat gray images/classic windows.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hadlock posted:

The Thinkpad Yoga has a 1080p IPS screen, depending on the size you get. My best bud is living in Colombia with that as his primary machine and loves it. He has the 13" model I believe. There is a minor issue with ghosting on flat gray images/classic windows.

I'm told it's the i-5 model with the 12.5" 1366 x 768 screen :(

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

IllegallySober posted:

Went to the Microsoft Store to look at a Stream 11 after reading the OP and they don't have that but they do have the Stream 13 which as best as I can tell is the same computer but a 13" screen instead of an 11" for $30 more. Sorry for the noob question but can anyone help confirm it's the same computer as the 11" as far as display and internals? As long as it is I'm pretty sure I'm picking this up. Thanks!

Edit: Everything I could find online indicated this was the case so, purchased! Happy to have a new laptop for the first time since 2007 :downs:

I just bit the bullet on a 13 myself! The difference in price from the 11 was negligible.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I asked about gaming laptops a few months ago (lol gaming laptop, but it's what I need) but I ended up postponing the purchase.

I'm back in the market and this one looks pretty good to me, better than the equivalent Lenovos. Price $1108.00 Am I kidding myself? Does this thing suck in some way I'm not seeing?

MSI GE62 Apache-002 15.6"
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-4720HQ (Haswell)
8GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM
1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M GPU (2GB GDDR5)
15.6" Full HD eDP Widescreen Display
1920 x 1080 Native Resolution
SuperMulti DVD Burner
802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
SteelSeries Backlit Keyboard
Windows 8.1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1108897&gclid=CMzz9Ke64MUCFZBefgod30YAtA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

other than the lack of an SSD, it looks like a lot of bang for the buck

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

predicto posted:

I asked about gaming laptops a few months ago (lol gaming laptop, but it's what I need) but I ended up postponing the purchase.

I'm back in the market and this one looks pretty good to me, better than the equivalent Lenovos. Price $1108.00 Am I kidding myself? Does this thing suck in some way I'm not seeing?

1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner
Windows 8.1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1108897&gclid=CMzz9Ke64MUCFZBefgod30YAtA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Looks great to me. The 965m packs serious punch too. Just grab an SSD aftermarket. Heck, 500 gig 850 EVO SSDs are being sold for $150 today only. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-850...=item462f5d7982

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

predicto posted:

1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
SuperMulti DVD Burner
Windows 8.1

I just bought a GE62 2QF Apache Pro. I think it's the model one step up from that one and I'm really loving it. I've got the GTX 970M and it's crazy good. It's run everything I've thrown at it on Very High or Ultra settings. The Apache Pro has 3 M.2 SATA slots so you can have 3 SSDs in addition to the regular HD it comes with. I'm not positive but that one looks pretty similar, so it might have them too.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I just bought a GE62 2QF Apache Pro. I think it's the model one step up from that one and I'm really loving it. I've got the GTX 970M and it's crazy good. It's run everything I've thrown at it on Very High or Ultra settings. The Apache Pro has 3 M.2 SATA slots so you can have 3 SSDs in addition to the regular HD it comes with. I'm not positive but that one looks pretty similar, so it might have them too.

Yeah, but that one with the 970 and the SSD is almost 400 bucks more. A little too rich for me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

predicto posted:

Yeah, but that one with the 970 and the SSD is almost 400 bucks more. A little too rich for me.

Is there any option with just the 970m and no SSD? SSDs are generally cheaper to buy and install yourself

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

The Iron Rose posted:

Is there any option with just the 970m and no SSD? SSDs are generally cheaper to buy and install yourself

I read somewhere that the version with the SSD was a Canada exclusive, not sure if that's true though. M.5 SATA SSDs are still pretty hard to find and little expensive around here, so it was a pretty good deal. I'm not positive, but I think the Microsoft store listed it for the wrong price. Every other Canadian retailer I could find listed it for $1799 or $1899 + tax. I got it for $1511 taxes and shipping included. And a couple of days after I put the order in, their price jumped up to $1899.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"

predicto posted:

From what I have read I believe the PRO version with the 970 has a better screen? Correct me if I'm wrong? I have been looking at the same laptop and between the SSD, 970 and screen, few other small things, that's why it's $400 more. I know that's quite a bit more, but might be worth it considering the 970m itself is a nice upgrade over the 965. From benchmarks, nearly 40% higher performance increase.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-965M/m17319vsm24481

GTX970m - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970M.126694.0.html
GTX965m - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-965M.134120.0.html

This listing, $1499 fufilled by amazon, you also get the 128gb SSD + 1tb HDD and 16gb(normal is 12gb) configuration + Witcher 3 of course. You have to view amazon's main product listing and look at the list of sellers to see this is included. It's not in the description. But I contacted the seller and confirmed that it's included. There is also a gaming bundle some sites are offering, with free games, mouse etc. If you contact them I was told they would throw in some other free game codes, if you don't like what they have now, you can wait until the next codes are offered by Nvidia.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SQG3LT2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A21UYTN5AVFXYY

Moonbloodsflow fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 29, 2015