Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Less than 3 days to go! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I went to Best Buy yesterday to try the demo, and this game is just plain fun to play, even solo. The controls take a bit of getting used to, but the gameplay is completely fluid and intuitive. I really hope they have a time trial mode for the individual stages -- it's really satisfying to blitz across the stage to the objectives.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Unless I've missed it, there really isn't one. Though maybe I just have to ask Cuttlefish on the map or something.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqj2qsZnx8

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I am so hyped by the hype machine that I'm seriously considering buying the disc and eShop version. Please tell me this is a bad idea.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Rexroom posted:

I am so hyped by the hype machine that I'm seriously considering buying the disc and eShop version. Please tell me this is a bad idea.

That is a really loving stupid idea.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Why on earth would you do that

like what does buying 2 copies even do for you

do you have 2 wiius?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I'm reasoning it that I'll give away the disc copy to some close acquaintance sometime in the near future, so I could continue using the digital version. Hence I'm spreading the gospel of Splatoon in the process.

I'm so messed up by it, I don't even know if I'm a boy or a squid.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm going to make a boy squid. They're going to be really underrepresented and I want to do my part.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I am going to make a girl inkling, because I wanna be as cute as possible in this game. Also I might every now and then switch to the boy inkling to try and be a different kind of cute for a bit.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Rexroom posted:

I say run with those feelings.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm going to make a boy squid. They're going to be really underrepresented and I want to do my part.

#NotAllSquids #InkerGate #NotYourBubble

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The good news is that my Splatoon has now shipped, the bad news is that I'm going to have a university thing to work on over the weekend and my self-discipline is terrible.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
We need more Ink puns before this game's hype dies out in a week and everyone forgets about it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Do you really ink that will happen? From what I played, it seems inkredibly unlikely that the hype will die that quickly. I'd give it until at least the twelfth. I think something is coloring your view.

... sorry, I'm bad at this. I'll ask my boyfriend when he gets up, he's better at puns.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't know man, during the last test it was like 60/40 girl to boy in the majority of my games. If more people have the same idea as you there might be too many squid boys.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Girl squids have better "hair" but I will still probably do a boy squid.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Keiya posted:

Do you really ink that will happen? From what I played, it seems inkredibly unlikely that the hype will die that quickly. I'd give it until at least the twelfth. I think something is coloring your view.

... sorry, I'm bad at this. I'll ask my boyfriend when he gets up, he's better at puns.

you gotta be squiddin' me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Not sure I see the point of the .52 gal since I don't speak Japanese.

Like some kinda magnum? Looks like it fires slow and doesn't do much for paint, so does it just do a ton of damage to players or something?

If you can one-shot rollers with it then that's totally useful. If not I don't see why you wouldn't use a faster firing gun like the splattershot Jr.

Rexroom posted:

Its really dumb but that's what I did for Bloodborne :ohdear:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Keiya posted:

You are a bad person. For shaaaame.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Are you squidding me? You really ink this game's hype is gonna die out? This game is a ten out of tentacles!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Well, I made up my mind: I'll just buy the eShop version, since I'll probably play it anyway until they switch off the servers for good. (Also 10% bargain bonus.) But to compensate I preordered a pair of Splatoon-amiibo(s?).

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Like some kinda magnum? Looks like it fires slow and doesn't do much for paint, so does it just do a ton of damage to players or something?

If you can one-shot rollers with it then that's totally useful. If not I don't see why you wouldn't use a faster firing gun like the splattershot Jr.

Well, I saw that someone on Youtube has tried translating the weapon info bits, so maybe it'll be a bit more helpful now?
Here's the one on the .52 Gal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8YPtcdQOw

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Zaphod42 posted:

I think where it potentially shines is when you use it with the ink curtains(?) - since you can shoot through it (but not your opponents) it works as a defensive close-range area control weapon.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I have never seen a man play Splatoon so bad. Somewhere in the video he seems to figure out/explain what a demo is and learns that Splatoon is not about the kills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tCKWLY0Os

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

.52 Gal looks like a weapon that sacrifices some coverage abilities for just pure killing power. With it's sub and special it strikes me as a weapon thats good at keeping territory more than reclaiming it.

The splash wall seems really situational right now, but I'm guessing it's very good in splatzones for just stopping the advance of the enemy team.

:speculate:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
We now interrupt this discussion for something adorable.

Squids holdin' tentacles.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If you want a splatoon gamepad protector HORI's got you covered.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah, I kinda want it, but I got the Zelda Wii U and some of the Zelda graphics would show in the empty bits and look bad.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah, I kinda want it, but I got the Zelda Wii U and some of the Zelda graphics would show in the empty bits and look bad.

owned.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Good, it matches the timeline where Hyrule flooded but Splatoon happened instead of Windwaker.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Blaziken386 posted:

We now interrupt this discussion for something adorable.

Freakin' cute.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Live in Canada? Want some squid puns with your ice cream?

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Why would you eat ice cream in freezy snow town

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Not even squid ink ice cream? Lame.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It's really funny seeing Nintendo actually promote a game. Hell, I think they've done more for this than anything released in the past 10 years.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rudoku posted:

It's really funny seeing Nintendo actually promote a game. Hell, I think they've done more for this than anything released in the past 10 years.

Yea they are REALLY hitching some wagons to squid funtimes, good thing almost every preview I've seen has been 'aaaah this is great' I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Nintendo is able to print some money with all this squid ink.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks like it's a two shot slow-fire with about medium range.

The supports look very map dependent, gotta be heavy chokepointing to really make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
When are we going to start posting Nintendo ids

Mine is MechaLemming

I am good and a try hard.

• Locked thread