Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Well, adding that to the To Watch list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If he's using AVIsynth then yeah, I can see that happening.

Is there any reason to ever use AVIsynth other than severe stubbornness or masochism?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Todd has a Patreon for a reason.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I get into really geeky territory and review the Worst Quantum Leap Novel Ever. Includes the Revolutionary War and incest, the hell??
http://phelous.com/2015/05/26/obscurus-lupa/others-obscurus-lupa/worst-quantum-leap-novel-ever/

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why would he need to know how to green-screen?

So he can have his own spaceship and team up with Linkara to fight Robokara and Cosmotodd. Duh.

Speaking of Linkara: Punisher #60 is special.

It's good to see Linkara finally doing his proper stuff again. Even if this one does a have a few awkward moments.

Dolph Lundgren Punisher doesn't get enough love. I bought it myself a few months ago and was surprised at how... mediocre(?) it was... I was expecting a train wreck, but what happened was a serviceable, if goofy, film. I enjoyed it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah, I'm glad he doesn't green-screen. He has no reason to. Actually, one of my favorite things about Todd's videos is the lack of unnecessary BS in them. He doesn't do 30-45 minute videos on individual songs, he doesn't do long, drawn-out plotlines, and he generally avoids over-selling his jokes.

I don't usually notice problems with Todd's audio or editing, outside of his first handful of videos, or occasional mistakes he'll correct with re-uploads. I'm sure there are problems, but there are few that I care about enough to notice.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

poparena posted:

Well, adding that to the To Watch list.

Out of all the films I've watched for this particular project, The Servant is definitely the one I'd recommend the most. I'll always have a soft spot for Victim, but The Servant is the better film in general, being more sophisticated, better-made and with more ambiguity. (Victim more-or-less tells you what to think, as it's essentially that era's Philadelphia. In The Servant there's a number of different interpretations and possibilities.)
God knows the next film I'm going to talk about was a real chore to watch, it took me two weeks to finally get through. Ugh.

rujasu posted:

Yeah, I'm glad he doesn't green-screen. He has no reason to. Actually, one of my favorite things about Todd's videos is the lack of unnecessary BS in them. He doesn't do 30-45 minute videos on individual songs, he doesn't do long, drawn-out plotlines, and he generally avoids over-selling his jokes.

I don't usually notice problems with Todd's audio or editing, outside of his first handful of videos, or occasional mistakes he'll correct with re-uploads. I'm sure there are problems, but there are few that I care about enough to notice.

Yeah, he definitely doesn't need to green screen, I think sometimes simple presentation can be the best.
I think most of the mistakes in his editing can be just explained away by him neglecting to check through his videos as carefully as he should. It's easy to miss an extra random clip, or a small glitch, unless you give everything an incredibly careful watch-through. I usually do that once in the editing suite, and then once when I've exported it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Miss Wallace posted:

I get into really geeky territory and review the Worst Quantum Leap Novel Ever. Includes the Revolutionary War and incest, the hell??
http://phelous.com/2015/05/26/obscurus-lupa/others-obscurus-lupa/worst-quantum-leap-novel-ever/

Oh man these books! I vaguely remember 'Pulitzer' and 'The Wall' being good but I have no intention of ruining them for myself by checking.

My love for Quantum Leap is eternal.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Those were both good ones! Double or Nothing was also good, in that one he leaped into twins at the same time and split into a good and evil version of himself.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

KayTee posted:

So he can have his own spaceship and team up with Linkara to fight Robokara and Cosmotodd. Duh.

Speaking of Linkara: Punisher #60 is special.

It's good to see Linkara finally doing his proper stuff again. Even if this one does a have a few awkward moments.

Dolph Lundgren Punisher doesn't get enough love. I bought it myself a few months ago and was surprised at how... mediocre(?) it was... I was expecting a train wreck, but what happened was a serviceable, if goofy, film. I enjoyed it.

Any other Linkara reviews you'd recommend? I know there's got to be a few good/decent ones that don't have any stupid storyline crap.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

VolticSurge posted:

Any other Linkara reviews you'd recommend? I know there's got to be a few good/decent ones that don't have any stupid storyline crap.

Holy Terror and One more day are the ones that come to mind.

Just check out his worst comics of all time video, that should be a good starting place.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Holy Terror and One more day are the ones that come to mind.

Just check out his worst comics of all time video, that should be a good starting place.

Can't find One More Day on his website,typing those words in gets me nothing.Holy Terror review's pretty good,though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

One More Day is review #200. On another note, I've been curious to watch Quantum Leap, but I wanted to know a few things about it. Is it an episodic series? If so, can you just jump in with any episode without missing anything important?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 27, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wasn't saying he needed to so much as wondering if he was knowledgeable enough in editing to figure out how. It's not a necessary skill, just an example.

Personally, I do appreciate it when people put in the work to make their videos look more professional than the average schmuck on youtube. That's why I used to love Paw's stuff, he had a really good eye for creating a visually interesting video when it's just him in front of a camera, it was a step up from pretty much everyone short of Red Letter Media and their full on studio.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

One More Day is review #200.

Alright,found it-thanks!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VolticSurge posted:

He keeps his storylines and his reviews separate. Just turn off the video after he finishes the review and you won't see any storyline. Though now that I think about it, I do remember one or two where there is a minor thing like him "beaming in" or something at the very beginning before his intro.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Mraagvpeine posted:

On another note, I've been curious to watch Quantum Leap, but I wanted to know a few things about it. Is it an episodic series? If so, can you just jump in with any episode without missing anything important?

Watch the pilot first, but aside from that, it's pretty loose - there are some episodes that callback to things from earlier episodes, and there are a few that invert the show's formula, but the main connection between episodes is the cliffhangers.

Every episode ends with Sam leaping. He's in danger or some situtation, but doesn't know where, when or who he is. He says "oh boy!". Roll credits. The next episodes carries on from that cliffhanger, but that's the limit of inter-episode coniniuty normally. You might as well watch them in order anyway.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Not related to much, but I now have a "leather in the desert" wall in my office.

Pretty bitchin' if I do say so myself.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jay O posted:

Not related to much, but I now have a "leather in the desert" wall in my office.

drat, that Trigun poster is pretty sweet.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lindsay's talking about Mad Max. Just like everybody else. Thankfully the movie is great fun to talk about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK0s4PZtdSA

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

On another note, I've been curious to watch Quantum Leap, but I wanted to know a few things about it. Is it an episodic series? If so, can you just jump in with any episode without missing anything important?

It was made during that time where every episode has to be accessible to new viewers, so generally you can jump in on any episode and you'll be fine. It's easier to list the small amount of episodes that need some context: I'd recommend not watching The Boogieman, Shock Theater, The Leap Back, Deliver Us From Evil, or Return/Revenge of the Evil Leaper until you've watched other episodes first. Not that you wouldn't get them, but they're more enjoyable when you're familiar with the show. I do agree starting with the pilot is good.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 27, 2015

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Testekill posted:

drat, that Trigun poster is pretty sweet.

Here's what it looks like all laid out and scanned. Definitely the snazziest Trigun fanart I've ever seen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jay O posted:

OH, WHAT A WALL! WHAT A LOVELY WALL!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay O posted:

Here's what it looks like all laid out and scanned. Definitely the snazziest Trigun fanart I've ever seen.

That knives though

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Lindsay's talking about Mad Max. Just like everybody else. Thankfully the movie is great fun to talk about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK0s4PZtdSA

I used to think that everyone agreed that Road Warrior, Thunderdome, and now Fury Road were all the post apocalyptic legends of the mythic Max as told by the different groups who he comes in contact with. The 1st movie being actual fact, and the rest future tales filtered through time, memory, and artistic license. Which is why the first movie is the only movie where Max is the central figure while in all the other movies he's some stranger who shows up and helps out.

Watching lots of people review and talk about Max though, it's become clear that most people thought/think that it's an actual series following the true adventures of Max with loads of continuity errors.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Man, this Quantum Leap novel...

One thing I do know about Revolution-era sexual morés, I once read A Midwife's Tale for a history class. It's a commentary on an average New England woman's diary from the late 1700's, and at one point, it discusses how they arranged marriages: IIRC, they'd get the guy and girl alone in a room together at a party, and if the girl got pregnant, they started planning the wedding. I'm guessing that has nothing to do with what happens in the Quantum Leap novel, though.

And if someone's going to do "Live, drat you live," I'm always going to imagine it delivered by Ben Stein circa Duckman.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014

Gyges posted:

I used to think that everyone agreed that Road Warrior, Thunderdome, and now Fury Road were all the post apocalyptic legends of the mythic Max as told by the different groups who he comes in contact with. The 1st movie being actual fact, and the rest future tales filtered through time, memory, and artistic license. Which is why the first movie is the only movie where Max is the central figure while in all the other movies he's some stranger who shows up and helps out.

Watching lots of people review and talk about Max though, it's become clear that most people thought/think that it's an actual series following the true adventures of Max with loads of continuity errors.

I prefer to see the Mad Max series as just revisiting the same concept several times, in different ways. There doesn't have to be any kind of in-universe explanation or "actual fact".

I'm not as anti-worldbuilding as M. John Harrison but I'm increasingly thinking that I probably should be.

I've been enjoying Lupa's Quantum Leap obsession. Used to watch it with my dad back in the day. Probably should rewatch it, especially since I only saw the German dub. Oh Mann!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been meaning to get around to Quantum Leap eventually. I'm a big fan of Sliders and I've heard Quantum Leap is superior, so I think I would like it.

It's one of my dad's old favourites; no doubt it reminds him of the two or three years in between him getting married and the birth of yours truly. :D

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Spoony talks about Wrestling for an hour and a half: http://spoonyexperiment.com/wrestle-wrestle-2/wrestlewrestle-5-25-15-nxt-unstoppable/

At some points he actually likes stuff.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gyges posted:

Fury Road I think is less a myth because the narration is Max himself unlike say the Road Warrior

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been meaning to get around to Quantum Leap eventually. I'm a big fan of Sliders and I've heard Quantum Leap is superior, so I think I would like it.

Speaking of Sliders, I've been meaning to get around to watching that show too. I heard only the first 2 seasons are good and the others awful. Is that true?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MonsieurChoc posted:

Spoony talks about Wrestling for an hour and a half: http://spoonyexperiment.com/wrestle-wrestle-2/wrestlewrestle-5-25-15-nxt-unstoppable/

I've seen multiple Irate Gamer videos of my own volition, and I don't understand why people watch Spoony's vlogs

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Keromaru5 posted:

And if someone's going to do "Live, drat you live," I'm always going to imagine it delivered by Ben Stein circa Duckman.

It just baffled me that he threw out the "live, drat you, live!" after the guy was revived.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I've seen multiple Irate Gamer videos of my own volition, and I don't understand why people watch Spoony's vlogs

Schadenfreude.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

Speaking of Sliders, I've been meaning to get around to watching that show too. I heard only the first 2 seasons are good and the others awful. Is that true?

More or less. The first two or good, then they were threatened with cancellation (or actually cancelled, then renewed at the last moment; the popular story is that Fox passed on a new series of Doctor Who with Paul McGann following on from the telemovie in favour of making a third season of Sliders) and the creator, Tracy Tormé was effectively ousted as showrunner by David Peckinpah, under whose watch the series stopped being "Jumping between alternate worlds! Will they ever get home?" and became "What blockbuster movie can we rip off this week?" while removing John Rhys-Davies and Sabrina Lloyd (in pretty nasty ways, too) in favour of Kari Wuhrer (because they needed eye-candy, basically) and Jerry O'Connell's brother (because O'Connell threatened to walk otherwise) and basically getting a lot more generically sci-fi.

There is some good stuff in seasons three to five (Cleavant Derricks is always giving 110% playing the best character in the show), but you could probably just watch the first two and stop (or the first three and stop, since I think three ends at a point that's open-ended, but essentially conclusive). The entire series ends on a cliffhanger that's never resolved.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

The gently caress is this, I don't watch Spoony's videos to see him like something.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Schadenfreude.

There are ways to get that in chunks smaller than Star Wars movies

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Watch Quantum Leap in order goddammit. It has character development! Despite there only being two characters most of the time. I don't even dare start talking about Quantum Leap because I'll have to go watch it all again. ...seriously you don't need to watch it in order but do anyway. It's fab.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Fury Road is based on the "word burgers" (which might be books?), implying that its based on a written account, whereas Road Warrior and Thunderdome are oral accounts.

That's more of the subtext, rather than the actual point of the movies. You can see them as movies about Max which have soft reboots between each sequel. I like the "its a bunch of stories people have passed on about Max after the war" explaination. It suits the mythic, larger than life tone of the sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Wheel of the Worst #8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtoNGEQSCg

• Locked thread