Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Finally got Dandelion back and man the first poo poo out of his mouth is to blame me. I love this guy. He gets all of Geralt's glares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGArqoF0TpQ
Both sides, with Witcher 3.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
I liked foltest, the initial impression of him from 2 was he knew his siege was was completely in charge of the situation.

Also, I would clear an encampment, peasants move in, immediately talk poo poo about witchers being subhuman. Nilfs don't do that, so I'd rather hang with them.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Everyone hating Witchers makes it all the more special when someone's nice to you. Godlings and Witchers ride together and die together.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ice Fist posted:

Edit: Also, you need white gull for superior potion recipes and also for making alchemy substances (vitriol, rebis, aether, etc.) - so you need two white gulls per superior potion, and one for superior bombs. And buying the ingredients for white gull is also expensive. I was rich when I first met that guy. I am now poor, but hey, what else am I going to spend the money on?

Is there a way to buy ekimmera (?) hides, because they seem to be a limiting factor on which oils you upgrade to superior. Maybe you just have to pick and choose.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Man that Whispering Hillock quest...at least I saved the kids. :( Really could have tempered that bitter with a little bit of sweet by showing them escaping.

Spoiler for outcome of the quest (Comte please read): Please have the Bloody Baron drop his Gwent card at his feet when he hangs himself. I can't get it now!

Witcher Rules (work in progress):

If you kill or cause the death of an innocent, you die (if possible).
If you lie to the Witcher you don't get helped or get fleeced as hard as possible.
Talk poo poo to the Witcher and you get hosed up.
Don't kill a fellow Witcher.
Quality witching = getting paid.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Can you meet Triss on your own after finishing off her beginning quest line? She mentioned where she's staying but I went to where she mentioned and can't find her

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Arglebargle III posted:

Still, the plan had a big hole in it.

Around the neck area, apparently :)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Found a level 5 bandit camp, and some level 20 drowner just massacred them all on a rampage and took off back into the sea.

I looted everything in camp and it's not greyed out...

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Man that Whispering Hillock quest...at least I saved the kids. :( Really could have tempered that bitter with a little bit of sweet by showing them escaping.

Spoiler for outcome of the quest (Comte please read): Please have the Bloody Baron drop his Gwent card at his feet when he hangs himself. I can't get it now!

Witcher Rules (work in progress):

If you kill or cause the death of an innocent, you die (if possible).
If you lie to the Witcher you don't get helped or get fleeced as hard as possible.
Talk poo poo to the Witcher and you get hosed up.
Don't kill a fellow Witcher.
Quality witching = getting paid.

I'm pretty sure you can still get it? Check his office, the quest pointed me there when he killed himself.

The Witcher's code is "Whatever's convenient for Geralt at the time"

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Even with the latest patch I still get a "no disk in drive F:" error when I launch the game. But it works fine afterwards, so ehh. v:downs:v

Edit: The last patch seems to have broken pressing "E" to collect loot. Have to hit spacebar every time.

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 26, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Dreylad posted:

Is there a way to buy ekimmera (?) hides, because they seem to be a limiting factor on which oils you upgrade to superior. Maybe you just have to pick and choose.

No. I mentioned this like five posts earlier: There are at least 4 oils I know of that require an Ekimmara hide to upgrade and there are, I believe, only three Ekimmaras in the game. Locations spoiled below:

1. Griffen armor treasure hunt, the dragon-something shrine.
2. The quest where you hook up with your buddy lambert for some revenge (I haven't finished this quest yet, but you fight an Ekimmara at the beginning.
3. The Mystery of the Byway Murders

Like I said, one of the first things I want modded (or to mod if I have the time) is to make some mob types respawn. I don't have any idea of this will even be possible, but it's something I want.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Speaking of kings, does Stennis show up in Witcher 3 in any way? I'm not expecting physical presence but a letter or something would be nice.

You know, if you choose the "answer questions to determine the events of the previous game" option the question of Stennis' fate never comes up even if you chose to have gone with Iorveth. Also, the ambassador you can ask about the political situation claims that Aedirn offered practically no resistance. I suspect they simply decided that the events of the Roche path are canon (where Stennis is automatically killed by the battlefield wraiths at the beginning of Act 2).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Kopijeger posted:

You know, if you choose the "answer questions to determine the events of the previous game" option the question of Stennis' fate never comes up even if you chose to have gone with Iorveth. Also, the ambassador you can ask about the political situation claims that Aedirn offered practically no resistance. I suspect they simply decided that the events of the Roche path are canon (where Stennis is automatically killed by the battlefield wraiths at the beginning of Act 2).

Thematically, that works for the world too. Roche patch is crapsack world cranked to 11. Iorveth is all "free vergen and equal rights and brotherhood and happy drunken dwarves" which doesn't work in the witcherverse outside of fever dreams.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The very first thing I said regarding this discussion:

To be fair, the reasons to hate Nilfguardians are pretty much just "they're a medieval army"
Whereas the northerners are not just an army, but also witch burners and extreme racists.

As US citizen, anything that resembles the American south needs to be crushed posthaste, so gently caress the northern realms.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

Solartide posted:

Nothing wrong with slavery, slaves get fed. Slave that can't work is useless. Slave owners letting them die? They were gonna die anyway. Better off being a slave, have food and shelter than to starve. And honestly? Legalizing slavery will solve a big part of the homeless problem.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Please don't play our game, you don't deserve it.

:laugh:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nasgate posted:

As US citizen, anything that resembles the American south needs to be crushed posthaste, so gently caress the northern realms.

But Nilfgaard openly practices slavery???

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ice Fist posted:

No. I mentioned this like five posts earlier: There are at least 4 oils I know of that require an Ekimmara hide to upgrade and there are, I believe, only three Ekimmaras in the game. Locations spoiled below:

Ah sorry didn't see it. I think I found two.

I don't mind there being a resource limiting your upgrades, although it'd be cool if it was made more explicit (THIS IS A RARE COMPONENT).

Also maybe I missed them but there really should have been tutorials on how toxicity interacts. I knew enough because I've played the last two games, but it wasn't clear right away how deconcoctions, potions, and the various alchemy talents interacted.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Delacroix posted:

There's some Italian in there as well. When Geralt invades their personal space, it's an exasperated "Che?" (What?) and the verb structure in sentences resembles part French and Italian.

Some of their swearing is definitely (slightly archaic) german, though. "Bloede pest!"

Ice Fist posted:

Nilfgaardians don't really like mages either. However, their view is pragmatic: "Do what we say and you can practice you magic stuff. Don't do what we want and we'll kill you."

So it's obviously way better than a "burn everyone at the stake" policy - but generally still a pretty cold relationship.

Then again, with all the poo poo the Lodge has been pulling, you can kinda see why the black ones have that policy.
On a fully positive note, they're not even remotely as much into persecuting nonhumans.

Broken Cog posted:

Foltest was a sister-fucker, but at least that's not really something that harms his or other's subjects.

OTOH he also treated war as a loving game and you started out Witcher 2 with him having a grand old time besieging a temerian city and afterwards letting his men go on the customary looting and burning spree.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Ice Fist posted:

1. Griffen armor treasure hunt, the dragon-something shrine.
2. The quest where you hook up with your buddy lambert for some revenge (I haven't finished this quest yet, but you fight an Ekimmara at the beginning.
3. The Mystery of the Byway Murders

Like I said, one of the first things I want modded (or to mod if I have the time) is to make some mob types respawn. I don't have any idea of this will even be possible, but it's something I want.

You may be able to accomplish that with this: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/28/

It will ruin ~your immersion~ but you can get the hides. :wink:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Dreylad posted:

Ah sorry didn't see it. I think I found two.

I don't mind there being a resource limiting your upgrades, although it'd be cool if it was made more explicit (THIS IS A RARE COMPONENT).

Also maybe I missed them but there really should have been tutorials on how toxicity interacts. I knew enough because I've played the last two games, but it wasn't clear right away how deconcoctions, potions, and the various alchemy talents interacted.

It's cool, I didn't mean to come off as a "HOW DID YOU NOT READ MY POST YOU JERK" so sorry.

Anyway, I don't necessarily mind it either - but it does bother me that in this Red Dead: Witcher/Monster Hunter simulator that there are some, non boss (non-unique really) that have limited numbers. There is an endless supply of Endregas, Ghouls, Nekkars, Wolves, Bears, Wraiths etc, but if you want to fight a cool vampire enemy lol nope go kill your six hundreth drowner.

I'm not saying there should be packs of rare enemies, but I think there should be a location - let's say a tomb, where once every game week three Ekimmara's spawn there. That way they remain relatively rare, but the player can occasionally go "I'm going to hunt vampires" and then go do that thing and get some rare/limited mats too.

Archimago posted:

You may be able to accomplish that with this: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/28/

It will ruin ~your immersion~ but you can get the hides. :wink:

Yeah, I'm probably not going to do that because ~my immersion~. I'm basically asking that a monster hunter game let me kill more monsters.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Also the Bloody Barron quest line might be one of the best quests I've ever seen in a game. Just really pulls at the heartstrings.

Where's the Tower of Mice quest?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ice Fist posted:

It's cool, I didn't mean to come off as a "HOW DID YOU NOT READ MY POST YOU JERK" so sorry.

Anyway, I don't necessarily mind it either - but it does bother me that in this Red Dead: Witcher/Monster Hunter simulator that there are some, non boss (non-unique really) that have limited numbers. There is an endless supply of Endregas, Ghouls, Nekkars, Wolves, Bears, Wraiths etc, but if you want to fight a cool vampire enemy lol nope go kill your six hundreth drowner.

I'm not saying there should be packs of rare enemies, but I think there should be a location - let's say a tomb, where once every game week three Ekimmara's spawn there. That way they remain relatively rare, but the player can occasionally go "I'm going to hunt vampires" and then go do that thing and get some rare/limited mats too.

My thoughts exactly. There is no fun reason to limit monster spawns like this. It does not make any choices more meaningful or immersive. Nor does it increase replay value. It is just annoying.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there any reason to keep beer? I have plenty of food and the screen effect when you drink beer is annoying.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Just had this lovely exchange:

Geralt: You're going to read my mind again?
Yen: Do you have a problem with that?
Geralt: You do it whenever you want anyway.

Oh, sulky Geralt.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think I realized what I never liked about Witcher 2 and now 3's combat, the combat strings are randomised or at the very least you don't got a good control on what comes out. Basically, a poke should always have the same input, and not have me twirl when all that Drowner need is another quick stab on his eye.
At least parry is very lenient.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Broken Cog posted:

Foltest was a sister-fucker, but at least that's not really something that harms his or other's subjects.

Except when his incest baby is literally a monster that forced him to abandon his capital and build a new one because it was so dangerous... hell I think it actually killed a couple witchers before Geralt took it down in one of the Short Stories.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I haven't made it past the first area so something later might prove me wrong but if it weren't for the war, I'm getting the impression that life under Nilfgaard's rule would be overall better than it was in the northern kingdoms up to now. They seem more civilized, have a stronger industry and aren't huge racists for a start. They are still dicks but in this word (almost) everyone is. Like rather than hating Nilfgaard I'm feeling like Radovid and all those "Go Temeria" kind of rebels should just capitulate so we can get this war thing over with.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

Except when his incest baby is literally a monster that forced him to abandon his capital and build a new one because it was so dangerous... hell I think it actually killed a couple witchers before Geralt took it down in one of the Short Stories.

Didn't we uncursed it on the Withcer 1 intro?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honest Thief posted:

Didn't we uncursed it on the Withcer 1 intro?

Oh yeah that happens too I never played the first game so I don't know much about it and just thought the game sounded like another lovely two worlds style game. However that scene is originally in the Last Wish short story collection.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jack2142 posted:

The incest baby was a monster because someone cast a curse on it.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Is there any merchant anywhere that will buy crossbow bolts?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pylons posted:

But Nilfgaard openly practices slavery???

That will end though. Slavery always ends. And the wider the empire is spread, the easier to rebel.

There's also a difference between their roman style slavery and the race based slavery of the south. And serfdom isn't really better than slavery.

I'm more looking long term. Both sides are shite, but Nilfguard has a much higher chance of being a decent place to live.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

You do realize they're the ones responsible for the entire crisis in the Northern kingdoms? They were the ones behind the assassinations in Witcher 2 that led to the rise of Radovid and the persecution of magic users(They tried to pin the blame on Witchers and the Sorceress lodge).

Then there's the war and the countless civilian casualties and yadda yadda yadda.

But the trains are running on time.

nasgate posted:

The North completed it's war of aggression a long time ago, are you suggesting another largely unprovoked attack, or are you unhappy with the way the last one worked out?

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 26, 2015

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

jaete posted:

Is there any merchant anywhere that will buy crossbow bolts?

I got like 20 pounds/kilos of crossbow bolts, on the one hand I don't want to drop them because they seem to be very versatile, on the other hand, I never use them because Igni.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Is there a primary religious pantheon that most everyone follows or is familiar with?

Is the Eternal Fire part of this pantheon? Is the Eternal Fire a diety or is it literally fire worship?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Solartide posted:

I got like 20 pounds/kilos of crossbow bolts, on the one hand I don't want to drop them because they seem to be very versatile, on the other hand, I never use them because Igni.

True, but you could use them to start the fight. Crossbow something, piss it off/kill it, then have it eat magic flamethrower when it closes. Win/Win.

Edit: There doesn't appear to be a central church analogue as we'd know it. The closest is probably Melitele and the Maiden/Mother/Crone iconography it runs with. Dwarves appear to follow this to an extent; not sure if "Mother Creatrix" is another term for her or is another deity altogether.
There are a number of smaller cults/Old Gods in the remote areas though--Veyopatis from the flotsam area is a good example.

Edit2: You want "Dragon's Dream"--there's even an achievement for tossing one, Igni'ing a guy and then igniting the DD gas cloud. (then repeat it 9 more times) Because Geralt is a colossal dick like that.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 26, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Solartide posted:

Broadheads (or whichever cause bleeding) are pretty useful to stack on top of Igni though. One of my few upgrades bombs is dancing star which I feel bad about because Igni. Oh well. Is there a gas-cloud one like in W2? Being able to burn those loving drowners and then toss gas on them from a distance seems really useful.

e: Is it moon dust or dimitrium bombs that stop werewolf regen?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ravenfood posted:

Broadheads (or whichever cause bleeding) are pretty useful to stack on top of Igni though. One of my few upgrades bombs is dancing star which I feel bad about because Igni. Oh well. Is there a gas-cloud one like in W2? Being able to burn those loving drowners and then toss gas on them from a distance seems really useful.

Dragon's Dream, yeah. I usually throw it first THEN igni and watch the fireworks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

OAquinas posted:

True, but you could use them to start the fight. Crossbow something, piss it off/kill it, then have it eat magic flamethrower when it closes. Win/Win.

I've been starting with Quen, dropping Alt Yrden, then moving forward bit by bit dropping more Yrdens until I engage, then set everything on fire.