Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

he's also weak to wind IIRC

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Rapid Chicken Thunderblade kills Omega.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I've never managed to make it more than ten or so hours into FFV, but I just bought it on my iPhone so I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot this year. Is there a slightly easier run I can do since it's my first time, e.g. is there a run where you can't get a Berserker or something? I just want it to be fun and Berserkers aren't fun.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
You can do a 750 run, which limits you to mage-like jobs. Haven't done one myself, mainly because the thought of being stuck with only White Mages until the Water Crystal terrifies me, but it will guarantee that you won't roll a berserker.

Or you could just do a normal run, and Job Fair it if you do get a berserker.

Whatever the gently caress you do, stay the gently caress away from Natural. That is the definition of non-fun.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yeah my first and only run that I didnt finish I wanted added challenge so I added natural to a normal run, its really bad and I am not going to be picking it this time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I really considered making the thread title "Even Berserkers Won't Do Natural Runs" but I swerved at the last minute. :v:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Natural isn't too hard if you don't suck at planning.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pneub posted:

it's not hard but it's god-awful boring

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pneub posted:

Much like the Brave Blade, you don't go natural not because it's hard, but because it's a tedious loving slog.

Tedium and difficulty are wholly different concepts! :wow:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Omniscient is vulnerable to silence, so anyone with a Mystic Knight can just beat him to death with the Silence spellblade and he can't do anything to stop them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kyrosiris posted:

Much like the Brave Blade, you don't go natural not because it's hard, but because it's a tedious loving slog.

Brave Blade isn't actually particularly tedious, especially since if you're doing one you have Knight, which can pretty easily shred 90% of Random Encounters.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

So pre-reg starts on June 1...when should we expect to kick off? I want one of my pledges to be a certain amount donated for every goon that beats NED before I do, but if we start on like a Tuesday that could alter the amount of that pledge. :)

Still hoping to get an answer on this. It doesn't start the same day as pre-reg, right?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poque posted:

Still hoping to get an answer on this. It doesn't start the same day as pre-reg, right?

It's on the website. I'm on my phone ATM but I think it is around the 16th.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Prism posted:

It's on the website. I'm on my phone ATM but I think it is around the 16th.

Yeah, it's usually the 15th-16th, on average.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Poque posted:

Traditionally, there will be an exhibition run streamed live, with jobs chosen by donation bids. Once that run ends, the Fiesta season opens.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Golden Goat posted:

So it's basically like my run last year where I lost 3 hours fighting sandworm.

E: I ask about the patch because it makes a Berserker risk run look really fun. Just the thought of having three !Dancing berserkers or having !Rapidfire on all of them.

it's a charity event. if you feel like playing a patch that makes the game more fun is 'bad' or 'against the rules' or whatever, then donate to charity as penance.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dr Pepper posted:

Brave Blade isn't actually particularly tedious, especially since if you're doing one you have Knight, which can pretty easily shred 90% of Random Encounters.

My very first Fiesta I went for the Brave Blade for the first time since I've played FFV, and two handed full power Brave Blade is pretty nice. Though admittedly it is a bit tedious having to fight every encounter, I wouldn't do it again unless I had a class setup that absolutely couldn't use Chicken Knife at all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Never fleeing from battles is fine until you reach Exdeath's castle and run into three blue dragons.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Never fleeing from battles is fine until you reach Exdeath's castle and run into three blue dragons.

Or if you actually want the Elf Mantle from the Walse Castle Basement and don't abuse quicksaves.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you're playing a mode that allows it and you get Blue Mage and Knight, Goblin Punch uses it's base 150 damage and ignores the run away stuff. Still worse than the chicken knife.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

If you're playing a mode that allows it and you get Blue Mage and Knight, Goblin Punch uses it's base 150 damage and ignores the run away stuff. Still worse than the chicken knife.

Goblin Punch uses a weapon's base strength and ignores scripts, so a Blue Mage with the Excalipoor is actually a pretty reliable damage dealer.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

It turns into a bit of a slog in Exdeath's Castle where you have the loving dragons constantly having way too much HP, and then the Rift is utterly unbearable.

So basically, those 90% of Random Encounters are still not enough to make up for the other 10% being horrid.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It depends on whether you're playing on an emulator (and thus can use turbo) and if you've got a good command that lets you breeze through battles mindlessly (!Animals/Nightingale, !Sing/Romeo's Ballad).

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

I really considered making the thread title "Even Berserkers Won't Do Natural Runs" but I swerved at the last minute. :v:

And I am saddened by your decision.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Kyrosiris posted:

Isn't that what happened last year, too? :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Edward_Tohr posted:

Isn't that what happened last year, too? :v:

I keep thinking up things that amuse me more! At this point, Natural is the Fiesta equivalent of the speed trap. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

I keep thinking up things that amuse me more! At this point, Natural is the Fiesta equivalent of the speed trap. :v:

I'll have you know the speed trap is the Fiesta equivalent of the speed trap. :colbert:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

It turns into a bit of a slog in Exdeath's Castle where you have the loving dragons constantly having way too much HP, and then the Rift is utterly unbearable.

So basically, those 90% of Random Encounters are still not enough to make up for the other 10% being horrid.

The Rift isn't too bad if you pulled Mystic Knight like I did since almost everything there is vulnerable to Break blade.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

This may have already been asked/answered, but what does Job fair mean? You replace a class you got with a different one?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gatesealer posted:

This may have already been asked/answered, but what does Job fair mean? You replace a class you got with a different one?

Basically. It's a tool to get more charity money. If you don't like one of your classes you can pay dollars to pick a new one, with the better jobs being more expensive.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Basically. It's a tool to get more charity money. If you don't like one of your classes you can pay dollars to pick a new one, with the better jobs being more expensive.

Yeah, it tops out with Chemist being like 12 bucks, Mime being 20, and Freelancer being 25, though I may be mistaken.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think they also added a "reroll" feature last year. Like, if you get stuck with Thief every time and are sick of it, but don't want to spoil the randomness by choosing a replacement, you can pay to roll for a new random job.

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, it tops out with Chemist being like 12 bucks, Mime being 20, and Freelancer being 25, though I may be mistaken.

Pretty sure it's much cheaper than that, at least for Chemist. I think all the normally available jobs topped out at $6 or something.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I bought a Chemist last year for a run and it definitely wasn't more than 6 dollars, may have been five even.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Here is the page for the job fair. All the regular classes are $5 or less, except Freelancer at $25 and mime at $15. Chemist is $5.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm surprised that the Black Mage is more expensive than the Blue Mage. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I would've though that status effects are a lot more valuable than raw damage.

Edit: Same for Ninja vs. Bard.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

I'm surprised that the Black Mage is more expensive than the Blue Mage. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I would've though that status effects are a lot more valuable than raw damage.

Black Mage is a lot easier to handle than Blue, I suppose. I guess it's a bit of an idiot tax, and I don't mean the lottery :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 27, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Probably gonna go with Chaos, except with the first job replaced by a Blue Mage. They're so much fun to play, and I get to contribute to charity!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Alabaster White posted:

Black Mage is a lot easier to handle than Blue, I suppose. I guess it's a bit of an idiot tax, and I don't mean the lottery :v:

This. For the sort of player who would really feel as though they need to buy a different job, they're definitely going to go for a straight powerhouse like Black Mage or Ninja. So, more donation money there.

Additionally, let's say everyone uses the job fair at the same frequency (this isn't the case, but run with it). Now, let's say each run you keep rolling Black Mage/Red Mage/Ninja/Samurai. Or really, any straightforward no-nonsense curbstomp combo. Well, you don't have to pay as much to get a job with a lot more to play with as a less-skilled player does to get something seemingly more powerful. It keeps dedicated players from feeling like they've been shoved into an RNG rut that costs money to get out of or requires stopping an event they enjoy participating in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

My favorite is Beastmaster being a dollar and Geomancer being 2, solely because RK hates Beastmaster despite it being a better job than Geomancer by far.

• Locked thread