Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

For me, it was my cooking skills that got me over the "should I keep dating this guy?" hump.
My ( now) wife was on the fence and then I Moroccan stew for her and some friends.

That got me the lock. And the ball and chain.

(I keed, I keed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Doctor Butts posted:

I want to learn how Gordon Ramsay touches his meat.

edit: yea I purposefully said it like that. He's able to tell how well done it is by poking at it. I'd like to learn that on my own since I think it would help a lot without overcooking something or burning it like if I'm grilling.

With clean hands.

e: You can use the finger-thumb method. Touch the meaty part of your thumb. That would be raw. Touch your forefinger and thumb of that hand together, touch the meaty part again. That's rare. Middle is medium rare, ring is medium, pinky is well-done.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 26, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Reminder this is the American conservative education plan. Just look things up on wikipedia! You don't need health insurance, just buy this Apple Watch!
E...excuse me?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I want to learn how Gordon Ramsay touches his meat.

edit: yea I purposefully said it like that. He's able to tell how well done it is by poking at it. I'd like to learn that on my own since I think it would help a lot without overcooking something or burning it like if I'm grilling. My wife is so scared about salmonella that she's got me all worried so I constantly use a meat thermometer to make sure its good enough.

But I started typing above and I couldn't resist making the quote sound terrible.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rorus Raz posted:

E...excuse me?

Buying an Apple watch is Jeb's actual healthcare plan.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Rorus Raz posted:

E...excuse me?

Jeb Bush statement. He wanted to repeal Obamacare and replace it with a "consumer-driven system". He then proceeded to comment how impressive it was that his Apple watch could be used for healthcare stuff, like measuring blood sugar.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Technically speaking owning a single share would make him a shareholder. It's also a convenient thing to bitch about. "Well I can't believe they'd treat a shareholder this way! Don't they know I control part of the company?" It's on that level of "free speech means I can say literally anything I want all the time forever." Well, no...even free speech has it's limits there bucko and publicly asking for funds to literally murder somebody is definitely beyond those limits.

True. It's like that thing that came out years ago about Michael Moore having shares in Enron or BP or Halliburton or something like that. I forget what it was but I think it was Halliburton. Basically though, if you have a diversified portfolio or any kind of mutual fund whatsoever you're bound to own stock you something you don't like that can make you look like a hypocrite.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Now Chuck Johnson's GotNews Twitter got suspended

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Jeb Bush statement. He wanted to repeal Obamacare and replace it with a "consumer-driven system". He then proceeded to comment how impressive it was that his Apple watch could be used for healthcare stuff, like measuring blood sugar.

Sounds oddly like the system before Obamacare.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm holding out until a candidate says they're going to replace the PPACA with JO crystals.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I was told once by members of the conservative wing of my family that doing the cooking makes me "the wife." I replied that men who need their wives to cook for them are a bunch of helpless babies, and that was essentially the end of it.

This is my grandpa after my grandma died. His daughter/my aunt did everything for him. Cleaning, laundry, preparing meals for the week. It was kinda sad because he was incredibly capable of this stuff at a physical level, but just never learned. Same way my grandma never learned to drive and told me once it was one of her biggest regrets.

:smith:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
My great grandma learned to drive in her seventies after my great grandpa died.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't see the idea that cooking is "women's work" lasting too much longer, if it even still exists at all. It was a long-standing social norm that just seems to have dissolved in the past few decades without anyone noticing or caring.

It's interesting that there was (at least for quite a while) an exception for cooking regarding meats. Traditionally the wife would do stuff like Thanksgiving Turkey, but barbecue has been popularly depicted as a primarily male activity. Even in the 50s the stereotype was having husbands go out and cook hamburgers on the grill.

Miltank posted:

My great grandma learned to drive in her seventies after my great grandpa died.

Oh yeah, one of my friends has said she's not learning how to drive until she gets married. She is interesting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Digital instant read thermometer is more accurate. The feel method is dependant on the cut and not just the temp.

v v v - I think you mean a bicycle, comrade. :china:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 26, 2015

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm teaching my kids to drive, but they will be heavily incentivized to follow the one true path to human freedom: Public Transit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't see the idea that cooking is "women's work" lasting too much longer, if it even still exists at all. It was a long-standing social norm that just seems to have dissolved in the past few decades without anyone noticing or caring.

If you ask me it probably has something to do with the increasing number of men remaining bachelors far into adulthood and really having no choice but to learn how to cook unless they want to eat nothing but fast food, go broke at expensive restaurants, or starve to death.

i think it's really a lot of changes. Part of it was assignment of gender roles in the past. Everybody got married at approximately 20 whether they wanted to or not and the expectation was that they had children while dad worked and mom took care of the home. That's just the way things were. The world is incredibly different now. Aside from that it wasn't a difficult change to make because cooking isn't all that difficult and is actually kind of fun.

I think cooking in the home got lumped into "women's work" just because of how gender roles were. Granted this was also a time when people tended to not stop at 2 children so cooking ultimately took more time just by volume. It wasn't "I put stuff together for five minutes because I was just feeding me and my girlfriend" but rather "well let's see I have 9 people total I'm cooking for and Aunt Agnes is coming over tonight so that makes 10...poo poo I'm busy tomorrow guess that means I need to make leftovers too."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mister Macys posted:

Digital instant read thermometer is more accurate. The feel method is dependant on the cut and not just the temp.

Also on your fingers.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

one kid asked me how to date in college cause he was kind of a wimp who hated the idea of alcohol and was worried (not entirely incorrectly) about hookup culture and keggers and stuff. i told him if he had good hygine, listened more than he spoke, learned a little acoustic guitar and how to cook some sort of fancy meals, he would basically have his pick of women

So what you're saying is all I was missing was the guitar, and you can't substitute pro-level drawing for that.

Cooking rules, btw.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I went to DoDDS (Department of Defense Dependents Schools) run schools in Germany for Jr. High and high school and actually got home economics and a general life skills like budgeting, financing, how to write a resume etc. course built in and required in the curriculum. I had a seniors-only recreation class with stuff like sailing as well. These were not rich schools or areas but DoDDS has pretty stringent requirements and standards, looking back I was pretty lucky.

I'm not particularly mechanically minded but I had to help teach community college kids how to operate some basic equipment like riding lawnmowers and roto-tillers for a semester and I was pretty taken aback at how little most of them knew about engines and the like. The chainsaw section was terrifying to watch even with the students decked out in a shitload of mandatory PPE.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Xibanya posted:

My mom is an intelligent woman (she has a BS in Mathematics so there's some outside confirmation of this) but I have noticed that when my dad is around she seems to lose about 15 IQ points, particularly if some tedious mechanical work needs doing. Despite the fact that my dad has multiple advanced degrees, he has apparently never glommed on to this curious detail. They were both born in the mid 50s, which may have something to do with it. One advantage men get from women being recognized as more than just baby makers is that women are less able to get away with that kind of poo poo.

That said I'm a woman and I don't know how to change my car's oil (don't you need tools for that?) so I just take my car to jiffy lube for a $25 oil change 'cause I'm a high roller :whatup:

As for gendered division of labor, I've read that modern two-income married couples tend to do well in splitting chores evenly until they have kids, after which the woman takes the lion's share of the housework. Are any of you in a double-earning household with kids? How does that all work out?

My current partner and some of my exes did this and it annoyed the poo poo out of me. It's such a subconscious thing, I guess, I didn't really know how else to deal with it apart from frequently asking her for help and just being naturally a bit of a moron in certain things. I wonder how much of it has to do with the fact that the one girl who didn't do this was Norwegian and the ones who did were Slavic or Mediterranean.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
In a turn of events that should surprise no one, the Duggar patriarch thinks that rape and incest should be punishable by death. But obviously not if you're whitea good God-fearing Christian, then all you need to do is apologize.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Jaunts posted:

In a turn of events that should surprise no one, the Duggar patriarch thinks that rape and incest should be punishable by death. But obviously not if you're whitea good God-fearing Christian, then all you need to do is apologize.

People who support zero-tolerance capital punishments are usually a bit more wishy-washy about that when the accused person is a close relative of theirs, yeah, not surprised

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If you ask me it probably has something to do with the increasing number of men remaining bachelors far into adulthood and really having no choice but to learn how to cook unless they want to eat nothing but fast food, go broke at expensive restaurants, or starve to death.

I'm guessing this also explains why the pre-cooked section of the supermarket seems to get larger year over year.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Xibanya posted:

That said I'm a woman and I don't know how to change my car's oil (don't you need tools for that?) so I just take my car to jiffy lube for a $25 oil change 'cause I'm a high roller :whatup:

For most cars you can do it with just an adjustable wrench and a drain pan. Probably the easiest bit of maintenance you can do on a car aside from maybe changing the batteries.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I'm guessing this also explains why the pre-cooked section of the supermarket seems to get larger year over year.

Part of it is an increase in people remaining single longer compared to previous generations, the other part of it is that you don't have a lot of time to cook a real meal when you have to work 2 or 3 jobs or the job you are working has you doing obscene hours.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

computer parts posted:

It's interesting that there was (at least for quite a while) an exception for cooking regarding meats. Traditionally the wife would do stuff like Thanksgiving Turkey, but barbecue has been popularly depicted as a primarily male activity. Even in the 50s the stereotype was having husbands go out and cook hamburgers on the grill.

I ran into this a few weeks ago. My wife mostly cooks for us but she insists I do the grilling. She said "last time I did the steak I hosed it up so you have to do it". I've tried to apply this logic in reverse to no avail. ("The last time I scooped out the cat box, I did I really terrible job so I think you need to do it now").

To her credit she laughed.

*am off to scoop cat box*

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Thump! posted:

For most cars you can do it with just an adjustable wrench and a drain pan. Probably the easiest bit of maintenance you can do on a car aside from maybe changing the batteries.

Though you do need to dispose of the oil properly! If I remember correctly, most car maintenence shops do it for free.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

I ran into this a few weeks ago. My wife mostly cooks for us but she insists I do the grilling. She said "last time I did the steak I hosed it up so you have to do it". I've tried to apply this logic in reverse to no avail. ("The last time I scooped out the cat box, I did I really terrible job so I think you need to do it now").

To her credit she laughed.

*am off to scoop cat box*

I do all the cooking, grilling, and cat poo poo scooping because she's such a bad cook she almost burned down her college dorm boiling water and she dry heaves around the catbox.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Many cities also have recycling programs with tanks for oil recycling and receptacles for oil bottles and filters. That said, any chain auto shop is going to have oil disposal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MaxxBot posted:

Nah, that's just because you as the store owner or food provider can spend a little bit extra to pre-cook and then generally charge much more as what amounts to a convenience fee over what you could previously sell.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

I do all the cooking, grilling, and cat poo poo scooping because she's such a bad cook she almost burned down her college dorm boiling water and she dry heaves around the catbox.

I'm guessing you guys don't have kids

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Dirk the Average posted:

Though you do need to dispose of the oil properly! If I remember correctly, most car maintenence shops do it for free.

I prefer the Sean Hannity method of just pouring it down the storm drain.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Thump! posted:

I prefer the Sean Hannity method of just pouring it down the storm drain.

It came from the Earth before and to herewitho shall it return.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MaxxBot posted:

That and Americans are loving lazy. Why learn to cook when you can just open a box and throw some crap in the microwave?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That and Americans are loving lazy. Why learn to cook when you can just open a box and throw some crap in the microwave?

Also, it's really hard to want to put in the effort to cook something when it's just you since you're wifes in grad school.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Or they're working two jobs with kids and would appreciate an hour of free time that isn't spent doing more work.

(But personally I am lazy though :v:)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xibanya posted:

My mom is an intelligent woman (she has a BS in Mathematics so there's some outside confirmation of this) but I have noticed that when my dad is around she seems to lose about 15 IQ points, particularly if some tedious mechanical work needs doing. Despite the fact that my dad has multiple advanced degrees, he has apparently never glommed on to this curious detail. They were both born in the mid 50s, which may have something to do with it. One advantage men get from women being recognized as more than just baby makers is that women are less able to get away with that kind of poo poo.

As for gendered division of labor, I've read that modern two-income married couples tend to do well in splitting chores evenly until they have kids, after which the woman takes the lion's share of the housework. Are any of you in a double-earning household with kids? How does that all work out?

There's a good amount of literature about this, check out The Second Shift, it's a short read about 7 different case studies for how domestic labor broke down in different socioeconomic and political households.

One thing that crops up in a lot of pieces on the topic isn't just the percentage of work that gets split, but the specific jobs. It isn't just things like "she cooks, he fixes the car" either; The general trend is that men tend to do work that is either infrequent or generally more enjoyable. Things like walking the dog or working the grill (usually a treat/special occasion) often falls under the man's duties, as well as stuff that just doesn't need done very often like fixing the sink or cleaning the garage (which is generally used primarily by men anyway so it's more like cleaning up after yourself). The jobs that women found themselves doing were usually much more scheduled and immediately pressing, like having dinner on the table 6 days a week, picking up the kids from school/activities, and doing laundry. So while couples might say things like "yeah we split the work 50:50, he mows the yard and I cook dinner," one of those things can be put off until the weather is nicer or you aren't busy - within reason - and the other has to happen between 6:30 and 7:30 every night.

Related, it's not uncommon for women to feel unappreciated specifically because of how routine their jobs are. Short of someone preparing a particularly fancy meal, it's easy to take nightly cooking for granted and forget to show gratitude, and same goes for things like shuttling the kids around. But since replacing a flat tire is a once a year activity you'll generally earn a thank you for it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I had a cooking class in middle school but it was pretty bunk, the teacher had all the kids working on different parts of the process and would yell at us for not knowing about the other parts immediately upon being asked. I learned to cook from my parents and looking up recipes online and with some helpful books. Most of my peers know how to cook and those that don't are able to sort of teach themselves as well, sometimes to pretty nice results.

It's also a great way to woo the lassies, that's for sure. Saltimbocca with white wine sauce is incredibly easy and seems really fancy to the unfamiliar (bit pricey though what with the parma ham and all though).

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Phone posted:

I'm holding out until a candidate says they're going to replace the PPACA with JO crystals.

"We've secretly replaced Obamacare with NEW Folger's Crystals! Let's see if anyone notices!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Learning to properly cook a steak is one of the tastiest things you can do in life, and it takes 10 minutes once have it down.

Let your steak sit out of the fridge a bit to get closer to room temperature, season the gently caress out of it, put in a small layer of oil in the pan then turn the stove to a medium/medium high heat. Let it spend a few minutes getting hot WITHOUT turning the stove itself up too high. Gently place the steak in the pan and DON'T MOVE THAT poo poo. Let it cook for a few minutes on one side until a solid brown crust forms (made up of delicious seasoning that has roasted itself into the meat because you didn't loving move that poo poo), then flip it over and let the same crust form on the other side. Take steak straight out of the hot pan then let it sit uncut for a few minutes so the juices rebalance. Slice that poo poo and eat it.

Also, make sure your steak is a steak and not a roast. Roasts go in the oven, not a skillet.

Why am I putting this in the Right Wing Media thread? Because we know how much conservatives love red meat :smug: .

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 26, 2015