Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

This thread is full of neocons.

Hey I was just trying to say why how the game presents how awful Nilfguard is (so far) vs how awful the north is makes it easy to gloss over how lovely the black ones can be :colbert: Like seriously the work camps are only mentioned in post it notes on trees. (so far for me playing the game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

You are the worst liberal.

i think the same thing about texas and mississippi

e: REALTALK though. It says so much about the quality of the writing in this game that we can have this hyperbolic discussion. It doesn't matter who comes out on top, everyone has suffered, everyone will continue to suffer, and life will still be the worst nightmare ever for the peasants, for the rest of their lives. Geralt can not make things better. He might be able to save a life, but how many have to die for them to live now, and how many more will die because they lived? He might be able to slay a monster, but what about the person who loved that monster when they were human? He might be able to pave the road for someone to take a throne, but what horrors will the wreak on their subjects to consolidate their power? It is legit good poo poo, and I'm super impressed with what you guys have made.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 26, 2015

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Feudalism might as well just be slavery by another name though.

There's a lot of debate in historiography over whether Feudalism is even useful as a concept

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
These medieval warlord people attacked the other medieval warlord people without justification!!!!!!!!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Pylons posted:

There's a lot of debate in historiography over whether Feudalism is even useful as a concept

Yet the West with Feudalism did better than the East without.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TastySauce posted:

The PS4 performance is a bit disappointing, especially in the swamp. I'm really hoping a patch comes out to address framerate drops soon.

I am assuming this isn't somewhere I have been yet. I'm at some quest with kids which happens to be in a swamp and it hasn't looked janky yet.

I am the Hitler of the woods.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

I want to thank CDProjekt for managing to make a character singing in a video game not a cringeworthy affair. Priscilla's song is really nice and nothing like Dragon Age's singalongs.

The song in question, in various languages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMvAAfPs0UE

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Finally started getting into the game proper. I think it was a combination of reaching Novigrad (just skipping over the baron for now) and exploring that area, enjoying the large areas of not-forest I'd been missing, and the latest patch. Bit sad it took me about a week of gaming to get there, but I'm finally starting to see why people are rating this so highly. I mean, it had awesome outdoor areas, great fights, and a few interesting story moments, but it was all held back by me trying to do sidequests forever due to terrible OCD everytime I see an unresolved side activity pop up. In a game like Saints Row I'd probably be done with all of them by now, instead of nearing completion on the first proper area. Or even Dragon Age Inquisition which I also felt had too many inconsequential side things. Areas that aren't lovely villages or small manors on the countryside helped spice things up and now I want to explore everything here, too. Right after I win some fistfights I'm way underleveled for, supposedly.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Han Nehi posted:

Edit: The last patch seems to have broken pressing "E" to collect loot. Have to hit spacebar every time.

It broke it in a weird way. It no longer highlights the first item automatically so now, if you're using KB/M, you have to mouse over an item in the list, it will highlight/outline, and then pressing E will loot that particular item. It's pretty annoying but that's how it works now. Or you can just double click what you want for the same effect.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Stormgale posted:

Hey I was just trying to say why how the game presents how awful Nilfguard is (so far) vs how awful the north is makes it easy to gloss over how lovely the black ones can be :colbert: Like seriously the work camps are only mentioned in post it notes on trees. (so far for me playing the game)
In some of the letters I have read (I think the one to the Bloody Baron for sure) they are signed by a Nilfgaardian who is in command of their "Army Group Center" which is a Nazi Germany thing (they not the only ones to ever use the term, but definitely the most well known), so I have to wonder...

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I just want a yes or no answer to this, no spoilers beyond that. Regarding the end of the Baron's quest:

I killed the tree and saved Anna, and the Baron took her off to find some healer dude. Am I ever going to see the Baron, Anna, or Tamara again, or is it just left as it is?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

I've also been on Blood/Bones difficulty and man, every fight is potentially deadly. Meditating constantly def kind of sucks, I can't imagine how hosed I'd be if I somehow overlooked Swallow. There's really not much in terms of food you can get. I keep anticipating the game eventually breaking me to lowering the difficulty but so far I got past the battles with that blonde witch in Velen ok. (Though that first one was a loving slog.) It seems like every enemy can bring you down in 4 hits or so, plus they're constantly swarming you--it's not Arkham for sure where they all stand around attacking one at a time. I kind of like this but so far I've felt like I'm less powerful than every other thing, even levels below me. A fight against 2 drowners and a water hag is tough but if you aggro like 5 more drowners then you're hosed. It's basically like DS but you never quite feel more powerful than the enemies.

Yea. One the one hand I like that the world feels legitimately dangerous on Blood and Bones. There's a long stretch early on where ordinary packs of wolves and dogs are deadlier than any drowner or rotfiend, which is cool (protip: get some blinders for Roach and you can easily thin out large mobs by taking a few on horseback first, which is easily the most reliable way to close the gap on archers or score a knockdown early on). And it fits a lot better thematically because the one thing you absolutely won't be doing on higher difficulties is killing monsters for free. On the other hand, though, bombs and potions don't feel like nearly as big of part of my gameplan anymore as they should be. I generally run around carrying grapeshot for monster nests and samum for blinding bandits, with Tawny Owl for Every Fight and Swallow for After Every Fight and at some point I just stopped bothering to swap in everything else. It's way easier to just stick to using Signs because swapping them is easy and the talents are either immediately useful (Casting high intensity signs with adrenaline that generate more adrenaline for 3 points is pretty nuts) or they scale way better.

Compare this to the alchemy tree where you might be convinced to drop five levels worth of talents into a skill that adds 120 damage to Samum and you still only get two. Pretty sad stuff.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Riso posted:

Yet the West with Feudalism did better than the East without.
Wait what's this, a neo-Nazi not singing the praises of the Romans for their system? Good heavens.

Honestly, I rather like the degree to which I'm able to show contempt and not side in the game because gently caress them, gently caress the others, imma go back in the end to the mountain fortress and chill.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

European PS4 version just got the patch.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Woozy posted:

Yea. One the one hand I like that the world feels legitimately dangerous on Blood and Bones. There's a long stretch early on where ordinary packs of wolves and dogs are deadlier than any drowner or rotfiend, which is cool (protip: get some blinders for Roach and you can easily thin out large mobs by taking a few on horseback first, which is easily the most reliable way to close the gap on archers or score a knockdown early on). And it fits a lot better thematically because the one thing you absolutely won't be doing on higher difficulties is killing monsters for free. On the other hand, though, bombs and potions don't feel like nearly as big of part of my gameplan anymore as they should be. I generally run around carrying grapeshot for monster nests and samum for blinding bandits, with Tawny Owl for Every Fight and Swallow for After Every Fight and at some point I just stopped bothering to swap in everything else. It's way easier to just stick to using Signs because swapping them is easy and the talents are either immediately useful (Casting high intensity signs with adrenaline that generate more adrenaline for 3 points is pretty nuts) or they scale way better.

Compare this to the alchemy tree where you might be convinced to drop five levels worth of talents into a skill that adds 120 damage to Samum and you still only get two. Pretty sad stuff.

Be grateful that they aren't, despite what retards say pausing constantly in the middle of the fight to open your inventory screen is not fun or good

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Woozy posted:

This touches on a part of the game which I am finding myself unhappy about the more I play it. Switching out various alchemy potions, oils, bombs, etc is a tedious effort. This is a feature which I see as having a lot of promise in the game not just for preparing for harder fights but for regular fights at higher difficulties too. There is a lot of fun to be had here, but the problem is that the UI just is not built to allow the player to swap out this stuff quickly and easily. Regular swapping is something that I want to do but because the game makes this such a chore that constantly interrupts the action I find myself mostly avoiding it which sucks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Be grateful that they aren't, despite what retards say pausing constantly in the middle of the fight to open your inventory screen is not fun or good

Not one single person has said this is good, but thanks for bringing your special brand of retardation back to the thread.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Catching up on this thread I felt like I was in a Debate and Discussion argument over whether Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia was the greater evil. Hint: both were bad, kill drowners, bed sorcereresses, drink alcohest erry day

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Orv posted:

Not one single person has said this is good, but thanks for bringing your special brand of retardation back to the thread.

Yes they have

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
The game developers must have at one point intended for you to only use potions and oils outside of combat or something, why the gently caress else would the UI ever work the way it does now ?

Orv
May 4, 2011

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Yes they have

Please point them out to also be roundly mocked.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"Did I scare you?"

Yes, you did. drat it!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Later game:

I went to Dandelion's cabaret club to check up on them after returning from Kaer Morhen and the rear end in a top hat is just stood there saying "Geralt?" and Priscilla is just laid in bed recovering with no one to give her company and just says the same "I'm sorry Geralt, my throat is still bad".

Dandelion, what the gently caress?

And then I found out I didn't get the actual murderer and nothing can be done about it. :smith:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Just FYI, it's not ideal, but you can drink potions directly from the inventory screen. You don't have to assign them to the quick slot and then unpause and drink, then unpause to swap more. On the controller it's X (or Square) and you'll just drink/eat whatever it is. So if you want to swill 6 potions before starting a battle, you can do that. You'll just need to keep a mental note of toxicity I suppose, but if you're going alchemy build you'll probably have a pretty good idea of how much poison you can imbibe.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Orv posted:

Please point them out to also be roundly mocked.

No thanks.

Theres so much wrong with basically everything consumable related it's ridiculous.

Why do you need to reapply oils at all when you can do it in the middle of combat and they are unlimited
Why do you need to pick which bombs you carry in your pockets when you can switch them in and out in the middle of combat
Why do you need to pick which potions to carry in your quickslots when you can switch them in and out in the middle of combat

The amount of time spent in menus in this game is so loving stupid and I hate it

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Archimago posted:

Just FYI, it's not ideal, but you can drink potions directly from the inventory screen. You don't have to assign them to the quick slot and then unpause and drink, then unpause to swap more. On the controller it's X (or Square) and you'll just drink/eat whatever it is.

Thanks you.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Soarer posted:

It broke it in a weird way. It no longer highlights the first item automatically so now, if you're using KB/M, you have to mouse over an item in the list, it will highlight/outline, and then pressing E will loot that particular item. It's pretty annoying but that's how it works now. Or you can just double click what you want for the same effect.

That happens to me occasionally (and did before the patch) but the vast majority of the times I search something it works fine, just mash e. I have hardware cursor on because I cannot stand it otherwise, I wonder if that had something do with it?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The inventory is really uncool and if you find yourself pretending that having 100+ crafting materials and dissembling poo poo and paging through inventory belongs in a game about being a badass Witcher who runs around doing cool poo poo then I don't know what to say. The fact that RPG designers still think that the player wants to be a quartermaster and manage hundreds of little bits of garbage is just beyond me. Almost nobody wants to do this poo poo. It's boring and stupid and a chore.

Why don't the books go in the glossary when you pick them up, organized by category? (lore, monsters, locations, unread, etc) instead of having to carry them around? Why don't you have a special "Witcher Gear" tab that only has potions and bombs and oils in it, because that's the stuff you go hunting for in a fight? No instead let's put it on a tab with food items that you can't even use in combat. Yikes. Get a UI guy CD Projekt, whoever is doing this stuff doesn't cut it.

It doesn't ruin the game but it's silly and pointless and it could be better and it's the only part of the game that you can honestly say this about.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Well I think it might have just been a response to everyone bitching about needing to mediate before using potions in Witcher 2, but truth be told I'm starting to miss that system. In TW2 there was no open world so it was a lot easier for the game to say "Hey you! Nekkers are lurking around the next corner so before you even think about leaving the city, head over to the library and buy a book about them and when you're done studying go ahead and brew up a comically huge sack of grapeshot bombs!" Then you walked over to the nekker area, took a nap, brewed a single tincture that contained doses of every potion you wanted which all had different drawbacks and synergies, and only after setting traps and oiling your sword could you say you "prepared" for the quest which is something I've come to think of the Witcher series as being all about.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
We should all start our own company and make The Perfect Game--it can't be that hard.

keylez
Dec 15, 2012

iCe-CuBe. posted:

No thanks.

Theres so much wrong with basically everything consumable related it's ridiculous.

Why do you need to reapply oils at all when you can do it in the middle of combat and they are unlimited
Why do you need to pick which bombs you carry in your pockets when you can switch them in and out in the middle of combat
Why do you need to pick which potions to carry in your quickslots when you can switch them in and out in the middle of combat

The amount of time spent in menus in this game is so loving stupid and I hate it

You can't apply oils in the middle of combat (I just tried on PC). I'll give you the last two, but I prefer to not open the menu in the middle of combat, preference thing. That being said, I never really knew you could switch potions and bombs in an out at any time during combat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have to agree about the inventory swapping shenanigans. There should be a button I can press to bring up a menu for each of Oils, Potions, Bombs and other quick items). e.g. I should be able to press 1 to draw my steel sword, then press 4 to bring up the oils menu, press a number or scroll to the oil I want to use, then the menu auto-closes. At any time I should be able to press 5 to bring up my available bombs, select one, then the menu auto-closes. Similar idea for Potions...maybe let you have 3 in ready slots (make the V key the third one) Press 6 for potions menu, press r, f, or v to select which potion to change, then select the potion you want there, then the menu closes.

Or something. Anything would be better than it currently is.

Also the crossbow. I should be able to press a button to get my crossbow out and load it, then be able to aim it. Also, I hate wasting bolts because I pull it out to shoot at something but then that something flies away or whatever. Make Geralt draw his crossbow with 3, where you can press another button to select which bolt you want to fire.

edit:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The inventory is really uncool and if you find yourself pretending that having 100+ crafting materials and dissembling poo poo and paging through inventory belongs in a game about being a badass Witcher who runs around doing cool poo poo then I don't know what to say. The fact that RPG designers still think that the player wants to be a quartermaster and manage hundreds of little bits of garbage is just beyond me. Almost nobody wants to do this poo poo. It's boring and stupid and a chore.

Why don't the books go in the glossary when you pick them up, organized by category? (lore, monsters, locations, unread, etc) instead of having to carry them around? Why don't you have a special "Witcher Gear" tab that only has potions and bombs and oils in it, because that's the stuff you go hunting for in a fight? No instead let's put it on a tab with food items that you can't even use in combat. Yikes. Get a UI guy CD Projekt, whoever is doing this stuff doesn't cut it.

It doesn't ruin the game but it's silly and pointless and it could be better and it's the only part of the game that you can honestly say this about.
This. I really like 2013 Tomb Raider that i bought for $5 steamsale because there was no inventory management. Yeah the game was bizarro in its own ways but the complete lack of inventory management was AMAZING.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 26, 2015

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

keylez posted:

You can't apply oils in the middle of combat (I just tried on PC). I'll give you the last two, but I prefer to not open the menu in the middle of combat, preference thing. That being said, I never really knew you could switch potions and bombs in an out at any time during combat.

I can, maybe it's bugged

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Woozy posted:

Well I think it might have just been a response to everyone bitching about needing to mediate before using potions in Witcher 2, but truth be told I'm starting to miss that system. In TW2 there was no open world so it was a lot easier for the game to say "Hey you! Nekkers are lurking around the next corner so before you even think about leaving the city, head over to the library and buy a book about them and when you're done studying go ahead and brew up a comically huge sack of grapeshot bombs!" Then you walked over to the nekker area, took a nap, brewed a single tincture that contained doses of every potion you wanted which all had different drawbacks and synergies, and only after setting traps and oiling your sword could you say you "prepared" for the quest which is something I've come to think of the Witcher series as being all about.

Believe it or not i think the first game did it best with this, you could only make potions in "safe" area's but could drink them anywhere they lasted quite a while but had alot of toxicity making it so for short battles you were a drugged up killing machine but the toxicity would eventually wear into your effectiveness. I remember a few desperate situations where i had high tox and dreaded chugging the next potion for the draw backs but god drat i needed that poison resist/ swallow or whatever.

also it was all done in a side panel and didnt feel like menu hell witcher 2&3 have become, you also just right clicked any notes and they were added to your log.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've read a few articles where people referred to the mainline story as being boring, but I can't relate with them. Playing Geralt as a worried father just hits so close. The look he has when a changling transforms into Ciri, who he has not seen in years, is so loving wrenching. A great line too. "This was a bad idea."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

iCe-CuBe. posted:

I can, maybe it's bugged

Well, in/out of combat can be a bit....fluid. (What drowner 10 ft away? Shift's done; I'm sheathing my sword!) Maybe you were considered "out of combat" for that moment when you tried?

Or it could be a bug. :shrug:

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Finally made it to Skellige. The werewolf in the garden quest is great.

My only quibbles so far are that Roach is dumb as poo poo and seems to like to run into things and come to a dead stop while I'm trying to runaway from a level bajillion monster and that the GPS-type thingy seems to bug out every now and then and want you to run in a circle and almost never offers the shortest path to the next destination.

Other than that, still on board with this being the best game I've played since Red Dead Redemption.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Name calling doesn't prove your argument. And the game itself provides more evidence to the contrary of your opinion that Nilfguard is the worst. So either you guys failed at accomplishing your goal of presenting Nilfguard as the big bad, or you yourself have failed to comprehend what's written.

That is assuming cdpr wanted us to think Nilfguard is the worst country.

They're all horrible, but a fault that is easily fixable like slavery isn't as bad as things that are much harder to remove such as racism and a higher propensity to rape and gently caress your sister even far from war. (See the U.S.)

Not to mention that how unstable the north is, it was going to fall apart on its own anyway, the assassinations just sped that process up.

Sure, an alternate solution would be much better. But when your choices are Northern Realms or Nilfguard? That's an easy choice.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

keylez posted:

You can't press E, but you can drag them to the sword and it applies just fine.

Also, you can't press E to eat food, but you CAN drag it to your quickbar, then exit the menu and press R/F to eat it in combat.

I dunno man, iCe-CuBe has some points here, some of the menus are super weird and console-ized, e.g. why can't I have 6 quick slots, and why do I have signs on 34567 instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nobody could possibly like the inventory system. It is *the* horrible thing about this game. That said, I've gotten so used to just going into my inventory and using my oils and potions during combat that it doesn't bother me - but I don't think it's a good design decision. All potions and all bombs should just be on the combat quick wheel.

TBH, I'm doing the Green path on the skill tree - it's got some really fun and cool skills like poison on oils, extra bombs, potion effects not wearing off if you're above the toxic limit, using the correct oil giving you flat 25% damage reduction, the extra vitality associated with green mutagens, potions giving flat health on use. It's not terrible, but I'm still seriously considering just eating the 1k gold and respec'ing into combat, but at this point I just don't know.