Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

iirc the artist that drew the graphic was not pleased by how the wsj annotated it.

they drew it for rupert murdoch what did they expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shifty Pony posted:

iirc the artist that drew the graphic was not pleased by how the wsj annotated it.

lol I wanna find a link for this

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lol I wanna find a link for this

i like ur new avatar

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

most artists for the WSJ work freelance, I believe, they're just asked for an illustration, they're not informed about what the article is about

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

it finally happened: a self parking car hit a pedestrian. volvo explained that the car was not equipped with the $3,000 "pedestrian detection" option but that the driver was an idiot and it would have been disabled the way they were driving

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

it finally happened: a self parking car hit a pedestrian. volvo explained that the car was not equipped with the $3,000 "pedestrian detection" option but that the driver was an idiot and it would have been disabled the way they were driving

here teh vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8nnhUCtcO8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

a pedestrian detection feature that disables itself when you accelerate towards the pedestrian doesn't sound very useful.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

a pedestrian detection feature that disables itself when you accelerate towards the pedestrian doesn't sound very useful.

farmer's market mode: ENGAGED

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

:laffo:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

surprised you think so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it doesn't detect bicycles so

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

im the outrage at things costs more money by the author of the article.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pr0zac posted:

i like ur new avatar

ty friend

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shaggar posted:

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

refleks posted:

i'm the optional pedestrian detection system

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

refleks posted:

lol rand paul has a parachute

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

i thought you approved of driving into pedestrians, am i getting yosposters mixed up again

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

hobbesmaster posted:

it doesn't detect bicycles so

neither do human drivers

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

I'm sure it for the same reason that the safety system that prevents car windows from crushing arms, fingers, or childrens' heads is disabled if you hold down the "up" button: :byodood::byodame: what if I'm being carjacked!?!?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

lol rand paul has a parachute

really?

that article, and the video is dumb as gently caress. what kind of parking are they doing by backing up and accelerating into two people?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

refleks posted:

really?

that article, and the video is dumb as gently caress. what kind of parking are they doing by backing up and accelerating into two people?

mmm yeah, flawed test, thats exactly what I got out of this video. The car didn't even have a chance to prove itself.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

neither do human drivers

lol

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

mmm yeah, flawed test, thats exactly what I got out of this video. The car didn't even have a chance to prove itself.

"gently caress it guys, lets test a feature our car doesnt have. what could go wrong?"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

refleks posted:

"gently caress it guys, lets test a feature our car doesnt have. what could go wrong?"

the company confirmed that even if the feature was installed it wouldn't have worked
apparently pedestrian detection is overridden by pushing the accelerator

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

hobbesmaster posted:

in a college town you could probably get money from both people

my platform for automatically offering to complete dogwalking requests from dogwalking apps by listing those requests on dogsharing apps is seeking a lead investor for it's series A. get in touch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

my platform for automatically offering to complete dogwalking requests from dogwalking apps by listing those requests on dogsharing apps is seeking a lead investor for it's series A. get in touch

good. easy money. gg

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
dog walk request apps have a standardized api that dog walkee requestor apps can utilize

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

duTrieux. posted:

the company confirmed that even if the feature was installed it wouldn't have worked

if it didn't people like me could just troll volvo drivers by tossing cardboard cutouts of Pittsburg Penguins goalkeeper Patrick Greiss into traffic, causing their brakes to lock and giving them whiplash/sending them through the windshield

buy American next time fuckerrrrrr

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

neither do human drivers

bicycles aren't supposed to be on the road so idk why that's a problem.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

at the date posted:

if it didn't people like me could just troll volvo drivers by tossing cardboard cutouts of Pittsburg Penguins goalkeeper Patrick Greiss into traffic, causing their brakes to lock and giving them whiplash/sending them through the windshield

buy American next time fuckerrrrrr

don't disparage chinese cars, they are teh future

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

collision detection only works at low speeds

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Shaggar posted:

I was going to make a shagger joke ...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr Dog posted:

where does yahoo get all that money it periodically uses to make people billionaires from?

they bought it for stock. so basically they just gave him $5.7 billion worth of shares which doesn't cost the company anything really. he then dumped it on the open market and dupes gave him the cash.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

don't quote your alt accounts

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
has anyone said tech buble yet

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

ultramiraculous posted:

they did actually have contracts and revenue and whatnot...but that's just an insane number.

it also appears that the "570,000 users" number is "daily unique users", which sounds like a number that can mean anything they wanted it to given that they didn't even have registered accounts.

i'd be willing to at least halve that number off that bat because i'd imagine they weren't doing much to reconcile people transitioning from a broadcast link in Netscape Communicator™ that opened in RealNetworks® RealPlayer G2™.

was there any proprietary technology or was it just a directory of streams? what were they selling? I looked at their archive and couldn't figure it out.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

duTrieux. posted:

hail satan

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

duTrieux. posted:

because otherwise it'd be trivially easy to carjack

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Smythe posted:

whats a neoliberal?
Someone who believes that markets - they don't even have to be free markets - are the best way to make decisions for just about anything and handle any problem in society.

See also the "School Choice" movement in America.

It has nothing to do with the American use of the word "liberalism" but instead comes from the "laissez faire" definition of liberalism.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Munkeymon posted:

because otherwise it'd be trivially easy to carjack

number of people killed in carjackings yearly: ~14 (9k injured, mostly poor minorities in cities)

number of pedestrians killed yearly: 4700 (76000 injured)

why yes we should hobble a lifesaving safety feature of the while suburban mom-mobile to address something which probably won't ever happen to it.

• Locked thread