Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh hey one more complaint regarding inventory: I'm still only level 11 but it seems pretty obvious at this point that despite all the gear in the game I'm going to end up rolling deep with Witcher School stuff, thereby making most of these lootable trousers/gloves/breastplates pretty drat pointless.

In-between tiers you can find some stuff that is a good deal better, so you can shelf your witcher gear until you reach the next tier.
Other than that it's mostly for vendoring yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm level 15, I'm running into level ?? enemies, I'm just hightailing it out of there. I'm assuming they are above a certain level threshold which means I can't see their level?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Broken Cog posted:

In-between tiers you can find some stuff that is a good deal better, so you can shelf your witcher gear until you reach the next tier.
Other than that it's mostly for vendoring yeah.

Oh. Well that's good, then.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
The trick to the bullet sponge mega HP monsters is to spam DoT effects on them which apply as portions of their HP rather than static dmg effects. Burning/poisons on weapon/whatever. The itemization in this is pretty bad overall though yeah..

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a place you can stash your witcher gear between upgrades? or do I have to carry around 3 sets as I upgrade them to stay current with my level.

Also, where can I get bigger saddlebags. I'm still at 60 carry weight.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

OatBoy posted:

Your feeling is more right than you could know.

Is it lovely enough that I should reload an old save?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Offkorn posted:

See my edit: "That behavior works both ways though. You yourself get more HP as you level, and enemies 6 or so levels lower than you end up being barely able to scratch you.".

The existing system of HP and weapon DPS is perfectly logical. Higher quality weapons do more damage, and higher level enemies (and witchers) have more HP. There is nothing wrong with this and it's balanced quite well. The only issue is not being able to use your high quality weapons because they have level requirements... which is annoying, but understandable from a game-balance perspective since this is an open-world game and you can go (almost) anywhere you want right from the start.
Except no, it really isn't. Why should Drowners stop posing any threat whatsoever to Geralt? Why can't I equip a magic sword I just found and have in my hands? What's the point of having a progression curve that, assuming you keep up with your gear, feels more or less flat when fighting the same general things? Why bother fighting something stronger than you are when the loot will be scaled anyway and you'll get nothing better from it than you would've just fighting some bandits? Why are city guards magically scaled to always be stronger than Geralt, to the point of being ludicrously superhuman and making you question why they're not on the front lines, instead of just swarming you?

Like, there's a lv25 Griffin in southern Velen. The entire first act of the game involves Geralt preparing to fight and kill a Griffin. "Killing Griffins" is a thing that has been checked off Geralt's list by the time he gets to Velen, even if it wasn't totally easy. But this Griffin, who fights exactly like the first one, is different somehow. Why? I dunno, it's just better. It's a better Griffin, even though it's exactly the same. It runs totally counter to the narrative of "Geralt identifies the monster and devises a way to defeat it, and your preparation is rewarded with success." Because gently caress you, sometimes it's just a better Griffin. Come back when you have more numbers, Geralt of Rivia.

Level requirements are fine in a story-light RPG like Diablo or something where the loot treadmill is part of the deal, it's bizarre and stupid in this game where your level arbitrarily determines how awesome the stuff you find in random deserter camps is. I'm fine with leveling up being there for skill points and build slots, but going out of your way to get an awesome weapon can actually backfire on you in this game because the game will just spawn a shittier version of it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

m.hache posted:

Is there a place you can stash your witcher gear between upgrades? or do I have to carry around 3 sets as I upgrade them to stay current with my level.

Also, where can I get bigger saddlebags. I'm still at 60 carry weight.

There's a guy who sells 100 capacity saddlebags, which I think are the highest, in (early novigrad spoilers) the little ghetto area the king of beggars runs, where you first meet triss.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

e;fb

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

WMain00 posted:

The Northern Realms seems to be full of racist xenophobic morons that die very quickly, usually to my sword because said idiots don't seem to quite grasp that pissing off a witcher is a seriously bad idea.

Nilfgaardians least seem to negotiate first before I kill them.

Actually my favorite random moment in the game so far is when you pull up to a bridge somewhere in Velen where three bandits have set up shop extorting tolls from people. Besides the standard "pay the toll" and "kill them all" options is a "Do you see this Medallion?" option which, when taken, has the lead bandit twig to the fact that he's trying to extort a peerless mutant killing machine. He apologizes to the "Lord Witcher", grabs his buddies, and hightails it the gently caress out of there.

I've actually been a bit surprised that that encounter was the only time I've really seen it come into play, mostly it's like you describe, 2-5 idiotic mooks who somehow think they can take on a monster slayer and somehow come out of it alright.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Regarding stashing loot, I've heard you can literally just drop poo poo on the ground and it will stay there forever, but I haven't tested that. Try dropping a piece of garbage at a Fast Travel sign you visit often and see if it sticks around.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Nakar posted:

Except no, it really isn't. Why should Drowners stop posing any threat whatsoever to Geralt? Why can't I equip a magic sword I just found and have in my hands? What's the point of having a progression curve that, assuming you keep up with your gear, feels more or less flat when fighting the same general things? Why bother fighting something stronger than you are when the loot will be scaled anyway and you'll get nothing better from it than you would've just fighting some bandits? Why are city guards magically scaled to always be stronger than Geralt, to the point of being ludicrously superhuman and making you question why they're not on the front lines, instead of just swarming you?

Like, there's a lv25 Griffin in southern Velen. The entire first act of the game involves Geralt preparing to fight and kill a Griffin. "Killing Griffins" is a thing that has been checked off Geralt's list by the time he gets to Velen, even if it wasn't totally easy. But this Griffin, who fights exactly like the first one, is different somehow. Why? I dunno, it's just better. It's a better Griffin, even though it's exactly the same. It runs totally counter to the narrative of "Geralt identifies the monster and devises a way to defeat it, and your preparation is rewarded with success." Because gently caress you, sometimes it's just a better Griffin. Come back when you have more numbers, Geralt of Rivia.

Level requirements are fine in a story-light RPG like Diablo or something where the loot treadmill is part of the deal, it's bizarre and stupid in this game where your level arbitrarily determines how awesome the stuff you find in random deserter camps is. I'm fine with leveling up being there for skill points and build slots, but going out of your way to get an awesome weapon can actually backfire on you in this game because the game will just spawn a shittier version of it.

You're right

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Nakar posted:

Regarding stashing loot, I've heard you can literally just drop poo poo on the ground and it will stay there forever, but I haven't tested that. Try dropping a piece of garbage at a Fast Travel sign you visit often and see if it sticks around.

Hmm. Can you actually pick up items directly off the ground in this game? Everything you pick up are inside containers.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, there are items in the world for picking up, but when you interact with them they act like containers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Anyone else bit by the disappearing alchemy formulas bug? A bunch of mine have disappeared. I finally got the last nekker heart and can't make enhanced white rafford's any more. Also no one sells them because something in game thinks you have them. I have enhanced northern wind bombs but I guess no formula for it, somehow. Comte, please fix. :)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nakar posted:

I got tired of carrying the cat and griffon school stuff I made once I switched to ursine, so I dropped them in front of the main town signpost in white orchard. Came back about ~8 hours later and it was all still there. Anecdotal evidence, don't blame me if your priceless goat butts disappear.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Wiseblood posted:

Hmm. Can you actually pick up items directly off the ground in this game? Everything you pick up are inside containers.
Yes, if you drop items they appear in a stack that seems to be all the items dropped at the same time. It looks like a corpse and even has the red circle-X marker on the minimap.

What I'm not sure of is whether that pile gets erased at some point if it's left alone too long.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Solartide posted:

Nothing wrong with slavery, slaves get fed. Slave that can't work is useless. Slave owners letting them die? They were gonna die anyway. Better off being a slave, have food and shelter than to starve. And honestly? Legalizing slavery will solve a big part of the homeless problem.

i want to especially put this post in relief, because even if ironic it is a special, spectacular form of terrible and has not yet received the attention it merits

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone found a way to complete the Dirty Funds quest once it bugs out? It's stuck on "read the letter you found" for me.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
You could also just sell the stuff to a merchant you remmeber/visit often. Far as I can tell, anything you sell can be rebought no matter how long ago you sold it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

There's a guy who sells 100 capacity saddlebags, which I think are the highest, in (early novigrad spoilers) the little ghetto area the king of beggars runs, where you first meet triss.

poo poo I never felt like going back there, guess I should do so because this 70 capacity saddlebag is lame as hell at this point

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gort posted:

Anyone found a way to complete the Dirty Funds quest once it bugs out? It's stuck on "read the letter you found" for me.

You should just be able to go east to the giant windmill and poke around the buildings there to finish things--it'll be a slightly hidden room

I have to say I'm disappointed by that windmill though--there was no way inside (that even looked like it was boarded up) and no grindstone attached. What's it doing?

Wait, sorry, that was a different quest. Dirty funds you have to find a bandit encampment that's just east of a north-south road, towards the top of the map, then beat everyone inside. The bandit leader even uses a shield :buddy:

Edit: VV Well, at least the lovely "sort" function they have works pretty well for notes and books--new ones will be listed first on the tab, which makes for easy reading so long as you do it right away.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 26, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

It is amazing that this is a thing in the year 2015. Really? I cant read it through that menu? I have to switch over to the lovely inventory menu and sort through the other dozens of letters I have to read, just to go back to my journal, re-find the quest, and read what it says? Seriously?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Begemot posted:

That happens to me occasionally (and did before the patch) but the vast majority of the times I search something it works fine, just mash e. I have hardware cursor on because I cannot stand it otherwise, I wonder if that had something do with it?

I'll try it with hardware cursor on later today. I don't know what that option does so I left it unchecked.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

mikeraskol posted:

Is it lovely enough that I should reload an old save?

Nah, don't listen to him, it's amazing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I've re-re-respeced into the Feline gear from enhanced Griffin gear because I had been doing dodge all wrong. You see, when I moved from keyboard to controller I assumed that jump + a direction was dodge, it wasn't until Sunday I saw B was dodge, and then I stopped taking all damage. I also noticed the feline silver sword has a +12 Aard intensity, so I've gone full Aard and I've been blowing idiots over on their backs and pinning them to the ground with my sword. Level 18 water hag? KAMEHAMAAAAAAAAA *impale* Next?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I feel desperately underleveled for this area (first area after White Harbour). Everything, quests included, is three to seven levels above me and every ? I go to on the map has some skull guy who one shots me. Is it possible to go back, or should I restart?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'm making a lot of screenshots during cutscenes lately, because this is the prettiest game ever.
(Now I actually prefer hairworks off)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Darth Windu posted:

I feel desperately underleveled for this area (first area after White Harbour). Everything, quests included, is three to seven levels above me and every ? I go to on the map has some skull guy who one shots me. Is it possible to go back, or should I restart?
Do the story quests first. They're much easier to handle.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

mcbexx posted:

I'm making a lot of screenshots during cutscenes lately, because this is the prettiest game ever.
(Now I actually prefer hairworks off)

I have music from Die Hard on a tape recorder so every time I find a monster nest I play it and

http://gfycat.com/AlarmingDimpledAttwatersprairiechicken

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I have music from Die Hard on a tape recorder so every time I find a monster nest I play it and

http://gfycat.com/AlarmingDimpledAttwatersprairiechicken

Both swords being broken really completes this

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

It is amazing that this is a thing in the year 2015. Really? I cant read it through that menu? I have to switch over to the lovely inventory menu and sort through the other dozens of letters I have to read, just to go back to my journal, re-find the quest, and read what it says? Seriously?

I know right? What a piece of poo poo

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

turtlecrunch posted:

Both swords being broken really completes this

I ain't got time to bleed or repair my poo poo

Also, my acute love of this game got me to thinking about a Witcher 4, or DLC expansion. Geralt is pushing 100 by the third game, isn't he? He can't be much younger than Vesner who is well over 100, and he's practically retired by now. A witcher 4 probably shouldn't include Geralt, but maybe someone from one of the other witcher schools, like Griffin or Viper, in another part of the world, fighting another mythos worth of monsters.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I ain't got time to bleed or repair my poo poo

Also, my acute love of this game got me to thinking about a Witcher 4, or DLC expansion. Geralt is pushing 100 by the third game, isn't he? He can't be much younger than Vesner who is well over 100, and he's practically retired by now. A witcher 4 probably shouldn't include Geralt, but maybe someone from one of the other witcher schools, like Griffin or Viper, in another part of the world, fighting another mythos worth of monsters.

Vesimir is pushing 150 I believe. They have said that this is definitively the end of Geralt's story with regards to their games though. If there's a Witcher 4 it won't have him as the protagonist.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Solartide posted:

Nothing wrong with slavery, slaves get fed. Slave that can't work is useless. Slave owners letting them die? They were gonna die anyway. Better off being a slave, have food and shelter than to starve. And honestly? Legalizing slavery will solve a big part of the homeless problem.

K. You go first.

loving psychopath.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Orv posted:

Vesimir is pushing 150 I believe. They have said that this is definitively the end of Geralt's story with regards to their games though. If there's a Witcher 4 it won't have him as the protagonist.

That makes me a little sad, but happy that Geralt finally settles down.

Another witcher from another school fighting new monsters would be neat. And so will a new, better voice actor :(

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Scoia'tael is the worst gwent faction right? I can't think of a reason why I would want to go first.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

That makes me a little sad, but happy that Geralt finally settles down.

Another witcher from another school fighting new monsters would be neat. And so will a new, better voice actor :(

look doug cockle isnt perfect but just stop and think about how far hes come :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think Geralt emotes a ton in Wild Hunt compared to the first two games, but I won't really go to the mat re: his quality of VO.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

slev posted:

Scoia'tael is the worst gwent faction right? I can't think of a reason why I would want to go first.

Yeah it feels that way. As you say their racial is worthless and their gimmick seems to be a ton of Skirmisher (melee/ranged option) and some Mob units, neither of which is very exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I can't imagine any gwent deck being better than the north - I guess nilfgaard has higher numbers but fewer abilities. Low level things that need to be paired don't do it for me.