Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Eh, it's not that bad.

Lord Justice is just filling in for Squidster who completely failed to shitpost, I am disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I think I'm ready for this thread to go away now.

I think the ideal of the thread itself, is something worth fighting for.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Compendium posted:

Eh, it's not that bad.

Lord Justice is just filling in for Squidster who completely failed to shitpost, I am disappointed.
I feel like he decided not to follow through after he realized that most of the posters who would be arguing with him here have known the material for at least like 4 years so they might have a strong understanding of why Archer being Shirou's future self works as apposed to whatever he was gonna post.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

I want to protect this threads smile.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Twiddy posted:

I feel like he decided not to follow through after he realized that most of the posters who would be arguing with him here have known the material for at least like 4 years so they might have a strong understanding of why Archer being Shirou's future self works as apposed to whatever he was gonna post.

he may have also just stopped watching a show he doesn't enjoy, which would be entirely fair

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Cake Attack posted:

he may have also just stopped watching a show he doesn't enjoy, which would be entirely fair
Not all shows are for everyone. Unfortunately it's impossible to have universal appeal.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Twiddy posted:

Not all shows are for everyone. Unfortunately it's impossible to have universal appeal.

*cough Cowboy Bebop

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, that's definitely understandable. And to be fair, any place on the net that's discussing Fate stuff is basically

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

littleorv posted:

*cough Cowboy Bebop
I forgot about the one time anime producers tried to save literally every single person their entire life and succeeded.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Twiddy posted:

I forgot about the one time anime producers tried to save literally every single person their entire life and succeeded.

That is an accurate description imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

littleorv posted:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

littleorv posted:

This thread cannot be saved. I must destroy it no matter the cost. Saving it is not worth sacrificing my ideals.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Iretep posted:

This thread cannot be saved. I must destroy it no matter the cost. Saving it is not worth sacrificing my ideals.

If by gassing one thread I can save 10 others, I will gas 100 threads to save 1000.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Madoka was good, but it's insanely hosed to me, that alot of the fans think that the show invented the concept of a Faustian bargain, or that it was a pioneer in pretty much any way, and not just a really cool show with some great stylistic decisions. Well, thanks for reading this post.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Madoka was good, but it's insanely hosed to me, that alot of the fans think that the show invented the concept of a Faustian bargain

Except that premise basically is a Faustian bargain, so I don't know what you were watching.

Madoka is good because there's pretty much nothing wrong with it. The music is amazing, the art is amazing, the story is amazing, the direction is amazing, etc. It's a great idea that was near perfectly executed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Except that premise basically is a Faustian bargain, so I don't know what you were watching.

He's saying that the concept of a Faustian bargain was around before Madoka.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Compendium posted:

Eh, it's not that bad.

I warned you about Fate threads bro!!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

'invented'

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Madoka was good, but it's insanely hosed to me, that alot of the fans think that the show invented the concept of a Faustian bargain, or that it was a pioneer in pretty much any way, and not just a really cool show with some great stylistic decisions. Well, thanks for reading this post.

Don't let foolish people change your enjoyment of a well-done piece. The Faustian Bargain was invented before Faust; there's nothing new under the sun after all.

The creators of Madoka are perfectly aware of Faust though since they actually had a quote from Faust sprinkled in the art IIRC.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well yeah, I don't hold any ill will towards the show itself but it spawned probably one of the worst group of fans in recent memory.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well yeah, I don't hold any ill will towards the show itself but it spawned probably one of the worst group of fans in recent memory.
tough words from the man with the warhammer 40k username

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was still in highschool when I regged and thought 40k was badass as hell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was still in highschool when I regged and thought 40k was badass as hell.
*draws katana*

my twin with the same reg date with me... this is where our paths separate

40k has always been a fail

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked the book series my username is from, because it was basically just a war story in space, without all the space marines and poo poo. I doubt I could go back and re-read them now though. RIP.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ChronoReverse posted:

The creators of Madoka are perfectly aware of Faust though since they actually had a quote from Faust sprinkled in the art IIRC.

Madoka's witch name was also Gretchen, which is rather blatant.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I liked the stealth reference to Fate/Extra in Archer's flashback. That scene where he agrees to become a Heroic Spirit in the nuclear plant was first mentioned in F/E, and people have always argued whether it (and the entire game for that matter) was canon. Guess so!

Honestly though, instead of random mujaheddin getting shot by arrows, if they really wanted to bring home how much Archer's life sucked they should have shown him shooting down a plane full of people carrying a deadly virus so they wouldn't land and infect an entire city. Like father like son!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
So those unlimited blade works huh.

Why does Archer even use a bow? Shirou is a huge sword geek and Archer's an even bigger sword geek, but in the flashbacks of Archer's counter-guardian career, he exclusively shot dudes with his longbow. It feels a little suspect to me that the Counter Force would be like "okay so you took archery club in high school, so I guess we'll assign you a magic bow." Is his bow even a noble phantasm?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Cephas posted:

Why does Archer even use a bow? Shirou is a huge sword geek and Archer's an even bigger sword geek, but in the flashbacks of Archer's counter-guardian career, he exclusively shot dudes with his longbow. It feels a little suspect to me that the Counter Force would be like "okay so you took archery club in high school, so I guess we'll assign you a magic bow." Is his bow even a noble phantasm?

Being a completely unknown hero, Archer doesn't really have a Noble Phantasm in the first place. UBW is the closest thing he has to one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shirou is freakishly good with a bow and iirc so long as he's not leeching his sword skills from a NP he's no better than Taiga. Obviously this no longer applies to EMIYA but much of EMIYA's projections are altered to serve as arrows like Caladbolg or Hrunting. When given the option he'll almost always try to kill from a distance. It's what he's better at and it's more practical than trying to fight say, Saber, head on.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 26, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cephas posted:

Just to further muddy the waters, in his one flashback scene in Fate/Extra, he's shown holding a sniper rifle.

http://imgur.com/2cres0R

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In the Extra world mana started to vanish in the 70s, so magi are more tech oriented.

Of course we also know that the Moon Cell can observe parallel worlds so :shrug:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think an interesting fact that people tend to glance over is how Shirou used to be in the archery club and was by all means pretty good at it before he quit the club. It's one of those first clues in regards to Archer that doesn't immediately register so it's kinda neat.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
One of the most interesting VN scenes to me was the one where Shirou was doing a little archery practice, and it's this whole spiritual process for him. Visualizing the target and making the arrow meet the image in your mind. Apparently Japanese archery is a big deal, at least the way Nasu wrote that scene.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Shirou was so naturally gifted at archery that he had only missed once ever and that was because he wanted to see what it was like to not hit the target.

As Sylphid says, it's a mental image thing and ties directly to Shirou and his projections which also rely on his "image" of the sword.

His twin sword skills were real too but that came after a lifetime of training and refining it (our current Shirou is drawing out that ability ahead of schedule).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you want to see Archer actually out on the hunt and not hamstrung by Rin or a moon tournament or whatever, play Hollow Ataraxia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sylphid posted:

One of the most interesting VN scenes to me was the one where Shirou was doing a little archery practice, and it's this whole spiritual process for him. Visualizing the target and making the arrow meet the image in your mind. Apparently Japanese archery is a big deal, at least the way Nasu wrote that scene.
Look up Kyudo sometime. It's pretty neat stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

To give oneself completely to the shooting is the spiritual goal, achieved by perfection of both the spirit and shooting technique leading to munen musō, "no thoughts, no illusions".

there's a lot of zen buddhist stuff in there. some of it comes from a german author who spoke only a little japanese but his 'research' had an impact on the perception of the sport even by the japanese, in a weird little feedback loop.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, if there was anything that could get me into Japanese archery (far from an impossibility), it would be that scene. It's not only good foreshadowing, but it's very Shirou-like diligence in that scene. I had just assumed Japanese archery was as utilitarian as Western archery seems to me, but that scene was certainly educational.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sylphid posted:

I think he was speaking to his and Rin's mutual friend then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Another important part about the whole Philosophy of Japanese archery (or at least how Shirou works with it) is specifically that you imagine yourself already hitting the target. You see the endgoal already happening and that's how you reach your goal.

So basically he's an archer because his entire philosophy and way of life is connected to archery just as strong as his connection to swords.

I brought up earlier that they just completely dropped this stuff which is kind of sad but I can see it being hard to work in naturally.

• Locked thread