Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I can't imagine any gwent deck being better than the north - I guess nilfgaard has higher numbers but fewer abilities. Low level things that need to be paired don't do it for me.

Nilfgaard and the North are even imo, because they are both chaulk full of spies and spies are the best cards in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah Nilfgaard and the Northern Realms seem pretty equally the strongest. Monster would make it a three-way tie if it weren't so melee-focused and thus counterable. Scoia'tel is just underwhelming.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I can't imagine any gwent deck being better than the north - I guess nilfgaard has higher numbers but fewer abilities. Low level things that need to be paired don't do it for me.

I posted a synopsis of Gwent a few pages back, but basically there's 2 ways of building a Gwent deck, full aggro or control. Scoia'tael and Monsters are focused towards pure aggro and Northern/Nilf is more control.

Nilf > Northern

Monster > Scoia'tael

Solartide posted:

There are 2 main types of Gwent decks you can build, power and attrition.

The power deck is like Blitzkrieg. You go in fast and you go in hard. Healers, teamwork, muster, you try to dump as much power on the field as you can so the opponent can't outmatch you.

The attrition deck in my experience has a higher chance of winning. With attrition, your life total is the amount of cards in your hand. Spies, Decoy, these are the cards of attrition. The idea is to delay the game as long as you can. Decoy lets you take 3 turns to play 2 cards. Using your hero ability lets you take 1 turn without using any cards. Spies let you take 3 turns with 1 card. Since your opponent needs to play a card every turn or pass for the entire round, you control the matches.

Solartide posted:

Hero cards really aren't that great and I think y'all are overvaluing weather.

Hero cards have "Shroud", they're immune to spell effects. The problem is, they're also immune to your own spell effects. So you can't horn them, you can't decoy them out, and you can't bring them back with a healer. Yes, I'd rather play a 5 power vanilla hero than a 5 power vanilla creature, but I'd rather run a 7-8 power vanilla creature than a 5-6 hero.

Weather could be good in the right situation, but it isn't amazing. Likewise, clear weather also sucks. I took out all clear weather cards, don't run clear weather Foltest, 2x biting frost, 1x fog, 0x rain. So far I beat every Gwent challenger on the first try, except Baron took me 2.

Good mechanics/cards:
Decoy- Best card in the game. Very versatile. Can save your guys, steal spies, double healer value.
Spies- Carry 2x counter weather effect based on what row your spies take up.
Muster- Lets you make massive creature decks, mull muster dupes.
Horn- Should net you 15 points of power when you use it, but could go huge.
Death- There's a reason why removal is highly drafted in every tcg.

Above average mechanics/cards:
Healer- Yes, it brings back guys which is great, but you aren't getting full value if you use them in game 1. Yes your deck should have healers, but not too many, you also need things to bring back with healers. And since you can't bring back heroes, you need some normal creatures.
Heroes- Explained above.
Lords- The +1/+1 creatures. I'd use this rather than clear weather on the row, and he delivers added value if you're building a deck a specific way. The siege guy you get in Northern starter is a trap.

Situational mechanics/cards:
Teamwork or whatever- Will need to run a creature light deck to ensure you get at least 2 of your buddies. Only put these in if their power is 4+ and you have 3x copies.
Weather- Against monsters or Scoia'tael you can go big, but since it hurts your team it can backfire hard. I'd carry a few to counter your spies, but weather is really a sideboard card. (No one maindecks Hurricane). And it could also be a dead card.

lovely mechanics/cards (newbie traps):
Sword/Bow placement- Too situational, it provides veratility you don't actually need.
Clear weather- Dead card unless they play a weather spell. And personally I'd rather horn that row instead of clear the weather.

Solartide fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 27, 2015

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
All I want to do is play but life keeps getting in the way, can anyone spoil something early game for me, deals with finding Ciri in Velen and things in a swamp. I let the thing out of the tree, did I just release Tree Hitler?? I just dont like the witches but I wasnt sure which decision was worse so went with gut to free the kids. I love that I am unsure with my decision.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

Vesimir is pushing 150 I believe. They have said that this is definitively the end of Geralt's story with regards to their games though. If there's a Witcher 4 it won't have him as the protagonist.

Wouldn't mind them focusing on Ciri because she's cool, though it might make more sense to just make it take place a bit in the future and have a create-your-own-Witcher thing

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

What exactly cuts off by going to the isle of mists? Is it absolutely everything? Or just plot relevant Sidequests that might have an impact on the ending? Cause I already did all of those as far as I know.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

Nilfgaard and the North are even imo, because they are both chaulk full of spies and spies are the best cards in the game.

Nilfgard spies are tricky, you're giving the adversary a lot of points and need a dope deck to make it reliable.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

All I want to do is play but life keeps getting in the way, can anyone spoil something early game for me, deals with finding Ciri in Velen and things in a swamp.

I went the opposite way and it was pretty grim (and Grimm) - I gather from other posts in the thread that your path is at least as bad if not a worse outcome though.

Seriously it's a Witcher game, it's a lot more fun if you overcome the temptation to savescum and accept that actions have unforeseen consequences which range from 'horrible' to 'sweet Melitele's tits WHY' :cry:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

How the gently caress do I get nekker hearts? I've been slaughtering the drat things but I don't get any hearts.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

mikeraskol posted:

Is it lovely enough that I should reload an old save?
If you want any romance with either of them then yes

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Wiseblood posted:

How the gently caress do I get nekker hearts? I've been slaughtering the drat things but I don't get any hearts.

Nekkar nests, I want to say there's an area in Velen with 4 nests clumped together.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

Yeah they're really rare. I built up a total of 4 in the course of my 60 hours playing the game and used them to make a potion last night, and yet I still need 5 for another potion. Maybe they're on a vendor somewhere. My intuition is that looting nekker nests might be the best chance but it's still probably a rare drop, maybe savescum if you've just got to have them?

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Nakar posted:

Why can't I equip a magic sword I just found and have in my hands? What's the point of having a progression curve that, assuming you keep up with your gear, feels more or less flat when fighting the same general things? Why bother fighting something stronger than you are when the loot will be scaled anyway and you'll get nothing better from it than you would've just fighting some bandits? ...

...going out of your way to get an awesome weapon can actually backfire on you in this game because the game will just spawn a shittier version of it.

Agreed. Hopefully someone mods a fix for it. Maybe puts in merchants to sell all weapons you should get and have the levels set to 1. Or maybe trade you the poo poo version for the one you've earned / deserved. I'm really on the fence about buying this. Ah well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wiseblood posted:

Regular Nekkers don't drop them. It's the bigger Nekker Warriors that drop them, and even then at a not a very high chance.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah they're really rare. I built up a total of 4 in the course of my 60 hours playing the game and used them to make a potion last night, and yet I still need 5 for another potion. Maybe they're on a vendor somewhere. My intuition is that looting nekker nests might be the best chance but it's still probably a rare drop, maybe savescum if you've just got to have them?

By the way if you don't feel like it's too much of an exploit and can't be bothered to farm a bunch of monster parts, nests will infinitely and near instantly respawn their contents so long as you don't completely loot them. Blow up a nest, look the good stuff, pause a few seconds. Check again.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So is this game a big disappointment or are goons just accentuating the negative? The way some of y'all are talking, it sounds like every mechanic is tedious and frustrating.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

All I want to do is play but life keeps getting in the way, can anyone spoil something early game for me, deals with finding Ciri in Velen and things in a swamp. I let the thing out of the tree, did I just release Tree Hitler?? I just dont like the witches but I wasnt sure which decision was worse so went with gut to free the kids. I love that I am unsure with my decision.

According to a book you find that's the crones' mom who they thought was too crazy and violent, so who knows.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Beeez posted:

So is this game a big disappointment or are goons just accentuating the negative? The way some of y'all are talking, it sounds like every mechanic is tedious and frustrating.

I like it. I haven't been posting here because I've been too busy playing. My Memorial Day weekend was a complete wash

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Huh? I'm seeing a lot more "best game ever made 153/10 how can I ever enjoy another game" responses. In the past few pages people have been discussing UI issues that are legit bad, but they do not lower this game to a bad or even mediocre status. It is an excellent game with a few bewildering design decisions.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I complain about the UI/inventory/loot stuff more because there's really nothing else for me to complain about with respect to this game. It's pretty incredible and even if those things really really annoy you it's still probably worth buying and playing.

Plus on PC some of these things will probably eventually be modded. Modders maybe can't fix the UI but they can likely do a lot to address other things.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The UI issues get a lot of (deserved) flak in this thread mostly because they take you out of the actual game, which is amazingly good. If you can endure a clunky console-centric UI and you like fantasy RPGs I think you'd be hard pressed not to like this game.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Psiharis posted:

Huh? I'm seeing a lot more "best game ever made 153/10 how can I ever enjoy another game" responses. In the past few pages people have been discussing UI issues that are legit bad, but they do not lower this game to a bad or even mediocre status. It is an excellent game with a few bewildering design decisions.

I won't get a chance to play it 'til probably July, but I periodically come in here to see what people are talking about and I guess I just happen to come in here at times where people are talking about the bad points, because it seems like every time I come in here I see complaints about the combat, glitches, the inventory, alchemy, leveling, or the skill tree.

Edit: And I'll be playing this on PS4, I don't have a PC that's good enough to play this.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Beeez posted:

It's extremely loving good. Way better than Inquisition, imo. The world-building especially is fantastic, plot and writing good to top-notch. It's a visually beautiful and enormous game where you can sink many tens of hours into exploration and doing numerous side quests for terrified peasant dirt farmers without it feeling grindy at all. The combat I think is alright, with some janky elements which I can see frustrating some of the posters here. The worst aspects are probably the inventory and item management which needs a lot more sorting options and quality of life improvements, plus probably some tweaks to loot scaling.

Someone put it well when they said this game is 95% awesome and 5% terribly obnoxious poo poo which doesn't much diminish the overall product.

I'd bet most of the major flaws (inventory UI and maybe some of the combat, movement, and targeting awkwardness) will be patched or modded pretty quickly.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Nakar posted:

I complain about the UI/inventory/loot stuff more because there's really nothing else for me to complain about with respect to this game. It's pretty incredible and even if those things really really annoy you it's still probably worth buying and playing.

Plus on PC some of these things will probably eventually be modded. Modders maybe can't fix the UI but they can likely do a lot to address other things.

You can like games and still talk about things that are really bad and annoying in them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Beeez posted:

I won't get a chance to play it 'til probably July, but I periodically come in here to see what people are talking about and I guess I just happen to come in here at times where people are talking about the bad points, because it seems like every time I come in here I see complaints about the combat, glitches, the inventory, alchemy, leveling, or the skill tree.

It's the something awful forums, people are going to mostly complain about the given topic. Luckily if you're not playing until July you'll probably be able to benefit from a pretty good suite of patches (and mods if you're on PC) to smooth over rough spots.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaggitz posted:

What exactly cuts off by going to the isle of mists? Is it absolutely everything? Or just plot relevant Sidequests that might have an impact on the ending? Cause I already did all of those as far as I know.
Not much, you're just locked into the main quest for a little while.

Beeez posted:

Nah, it's real good. There will always be issues, and people will want to vent about them.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Most of what I want to discuss about how much I love the game is potentially spoilery. I've been banking a ton of screenshots/videos that made me laugh out loud but hold off on posting most things like that because part of the joy is being blindsided by a hilarious moment in the middle of grimdark peasant misery.

Basically there is nothing so problematic in this game that it cannot be solved by bumping down a level of difficulty and ignoring it. I'm at a point where I don't really rely on consumables except for my perma-quickslotted potions and bombs, and I'm playing on the 2nd-hardest difficulty, so the inventory travails are fairly optional if they interfere with someone's enjoyment that much.

I'm at a point where I'm happy when the game crashes (only twice so far, and I've finished all but some optional crap in Novigrad and started in on Skellige) because without that as a built-in stopping point, I would get absolutely nothing else done. And I just don't get excited about games anymore. This is something special.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Beeez posted:

Edit: And I'll be playing this on PS4, I don't have a PC that's good enough to play this.
You might be surprised, I thought my rig was poo poo but it's more than competent to run the game at settings that are equal to or better than the PS4's at framerates superior to the locked 30fps of consoles. I'm not getting 60 constantly but it's plenty.

One thing is the CPU requirements for the game were grossly overstated, and the GPU requirements were probably also set a little higher than are actually sufficient.

I would strongly recommend going PC because mods will probably make the game even better and the PC also gets patches much faster than the PS4 does.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Does the big tower Wyvern in Velen drop anything good? I may have accidentally drowned it and can't find the corpse :downs:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It's like I put it before: CDPR makes amazing games, that have janky interfaces. Every single Witcher game has had questionable elements to their UI, inventory especially so. W2 got an overhaul with the EE, and I expect them to do the same here.

The game is loving amazing, atmospheric, and just impressive on every level otherwise. The combat is a bit iffy, but once you get used to the flow and get some talent points in you'll be carving and roasting your way through.

But it's a semi-open world, so with any game of that sort it'll have a bunch of bugs. Most are not game-breaking, just annoying. It's also a game that rides the bleeding edge of what video cards can do, so tweaks are being found and made to make it more forgiving for existing cards. Most of the video-related crashes are patched (I think).

But that inventory system...there's really nothing redeeming about it.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Nakar posted:

You might be surprised, I thought my rig was poo poo but it's more than competent to run the game at settings that are equal to or better than the PS4's at framerates superior to the locked 30fps of consoles. I'm not getting 60 constantly but it's plenty.

One thing is the CPU requirements for the game were grossly overstated, and the GPU requirements were probably also set a little higher than are actually sufficient.

I would strongly recommend going PC because mods will probably make the game even better and the PC also gets patches much faster than the PS4 does.

No, believe me, I just have a laptop that isn't really kitted out for games at all. I mostly grew up playing console games so I know jack squat about how to have a good gaming PC. It is too bad to miss out on mods, but oh well.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So for Jenny O The Woods Is she just completely broken? I'm level 12 and she annihilates me more than any other fight I've come across. Yeah yeah you read about what you're "supposed" to do to defeat her but it really doesn't work, so what's the trick? I've tried looking up guides online and most come down to "this fight is bullshit and I got lucky after trying for a million times"

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Beeez posted:

The game is great. And totally worth every cent, and I´ve been playing obsessively since launch. The thing is, when they get it right it´s downright amazing but when they don´t they really gently caress it up big time.
Also, in a game as long as this one, with time it gets really hard to overlook some of the most bizarre design choices or mistakes. And they are plenty and pretty often of the "I can´t believe someone really play-tested this for more than 15 minutes and haven´t noticed this bullshit".

The thing is, for me so far - I´m 40 hours in - the good still completely outshines the bad. But I´m only able to stop playing long enough to post when I´m in rage quit mode, so my post are usually negative.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

lilspooky posted:

So for Jenny O The Woods Is she just completely broken? I'm level 12 and she annihilates me more than any other fight I've come across. Yeah yeah you read about what you're "supposed" to do to defeat her but it really doesn't work, so what's the trick? I've tried looking up guides online and most come down to "this fight is bullshit and I got lucky after trying for a million times"

Cast Yrden, get maybe 2-3 hits while she is inside the circle, then back up to make sure you are still inside the circle. I'm assuming you don't have any helpful alchemy, so do that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

lilspooky posted:

When she splits, run away. She will merge back together without healing anything.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I was around your level and it wasn't bad on BB&B difficulty. Lay down your Yrden and INSIST that she come in there to get to you. Use moon dust bombs. If she's transparent and teleporting around, you are doing it wrong. With a halfway decent sword, her clones don't last more than a hit or two. I may have cat gear at the time which is what, L13? Trivializes most things under L20.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
She hits absurdly hard so don't get greedy, abuse Yrden while keeping Quen up, and try not to let her regenerate too much. Also I think she can be hit with gradual damage status effects which helps a little, but ghosts are immune to poison I think.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Beeez posted:

The game is a lot of fun, and the stories in a lot of the quests are really good. The characters are generally all pretty interesting, and the game is gorgeous. It's just a lot of the positives of the game require spoilers to talk about, cause some of the best stuff is story related. It's easier to bitch about the problems in the game, especially when it's an otherwise good game. The inventory system sucks, having to repair and having to deal with weight sucks. Geralt's movement sucks, though I don't think everyone is in agreement with that. There's problems with the PC version and even with the patches it'll still crash. It's still very good.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

lilspooky posted:

This contract was especially painful and I was at 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Why do people struggle so much with this quest ?
There are many Noonwraith and Moonwraith and even regular Wraith that are very similar. You even encounter one in the prologue.

Basicaly play very defensively and attack only in the sign radius.