Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I had absolutely no trouble with Jenny cause I used the same tactics that they told you to use against the Evil by the Well in the prologue cause it is the same enemy with the same attacks. Did a lot of people just not do that contract in white orchards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

lilspooky posted:

So for Jenny O The Woods Is she just completely broken? I'm level 12 and she annihilates me more than any other fight I've come across. Yeah yeah you read about what you're "supposed" to do to defeat her but it really doesn't work, so what's the trick? I've tried looking up guides online and most come down to "this fight is bullshit and I got lucky after trying for a million times"

I beat her easily at level 6? Drop yyrden, win. I didn't even put oil on my blade.

Alternatively, remember that the shield spell also forces wraiths to materialize. And for the love of god, don't fight a nightwraith at night.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

I am Communist posted:

Agreed. Hopefully someone mods a fix for it. Maybe puts in merchants to sell all weapons you should get and have the levels set to 1. Or maybe trade you the poo poo version for the one you've earned / deserved. I'm really on the fence about buying this. Ah well.

Not gonna lie I right click search google'd for your av

And now all you gwent nerds can print your own cards and crash your local game store Friday Night Magic. Scoff and roll your eyes as people ask you about the rules.

http://imgur.com/a/RV0B1

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I've re-re-respeced into the Feline gear from enhanced Griffin gear because I had been doing dodge all wrong. You see, when I moved from keyboard to controller I assumed that jump + a direction was dodge, it wasn't until Sunday I saw B was dodge, and then I stopped taking all damage. I also noticed the feline silver sword has a +12 Aard intensity, so I've gone full Aard and I've been blowing idiots over on their backs and pinning them to the ground with my sword. Level 18 water hag? KAMEHAMAAAAAAAAA *impale* Next?

Aard starts off as the "it staggers them for a few seconds and is a bit poo poo and there are much better/more fun options" and then seems to snowball into "knocks everyone over like the fist of an angry god so you can walk up and deliver some sick coups de grâce".

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
How does Axii not work in a crowd? gently caress it, I don't like Triss, I don't like Yennefer, Rosa best waifu.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Please fix this it is breaking my immersion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twGn2E5BTGk

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Nasgate posted:

I beat her easily at level 6? Drop yyrden, win. I didn't even put oil on my blade.

Alternatively, remember that the shield spell also forces wraiths to materialize. And for the love of god, don't fight a nightwraith at night.

Ya I'm doing that. However you have to fight her at night otherwise she doesn't spawn.

Krogort posted:

Why do people struggle so much with this quest ?
There are many Noonwraith and Moonwraith and even regular Wraith that are very similar. You even encounter one in the prologue.

Because she's totally unlike the others? She kills you in like 3 hits and you're constantly having to manage her in the circle. A simple internet search plus your own admission of people having difficulty with it are pretty much proof positive that she's not like the others or in any way easy.

Psiharis posted:

I was around your level and it wasn't bad on BB&B difficulty.

I'm playing the same difficulty but you are MUCH better equipped than I am. Where do I get moon dust bombs?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Krogort posted:

Why do people struggle so much with this quest ?
There are many Noonwraith and Moonwraith and even regular Wraith that are very similar. You even encounter one in the prologue.

Basicaly play very defensively and attack only in the sign radius.

It's because it's typically the first wraith encountered that splits up after taking a certain amount of damage and lifesteals at an absurd rate. As almighty Geralt, running away when this happens is the least obvious thing to do. You're also too flummoxed by the lifesteal and the general chaos that ensues from having slammed into a brick wall to realize you don't need to throw down Yrden to attack the trio-version Jenny. Lastly, most people haven't encountered the Moon Bomb schematic when they run into Jenny and so are limited to Yrden and swords.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

lilspooky posted:

So for Jenny O The Woods Is she just completely broken? I'm level 12 and she annihilates me more than any other fight I've come across. Yeah yeah you read about what you're "supposed" to do to defeat her but it really doesn't work, so what's the trick? I've tried looking up guides online and most come down to "this fight is bullshit and I got lucky after trying for a million times"

It took me a while to realise that the three smaller wraiths will heal her as soon as they get close to you, not when they hit you or you hit them or whatever. This is why the "run away" tactic is the best, since they also despawn quickly. Maybe kill the first one then run (it's obvious by the smoke patterns where they spawn).

Other than that, cast yrden, make sure she's inside it (a good position is wraith just inside and Geralt on opposite side), attack once or twice, sidestep, circle around a bit so she's still in the yrden. When she teleports wait a half second and roll away, with proper timing you can avoid all the backstab attacks. When she's not teleporting, use dodge not roll so you have plenty of stamina for yrden. Just be patient. Position yourself and her and don't get hit.

Edit: someone does pretty well in this video, even though they don't run away from the little ones. She regenerates less health the lower she is.

jaete fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 27, 2015

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So is there any way to prevent Priscilla from being attacked by the serial killer priest after you rescue Dandelion? I really hope it's not a consequence of some dumb decision I made earlier in the game :(

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Alright thanks. Is there some way to fight her during the day?

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Hey Comte de Saint-Germain, what parts of the game were you responsible for? Would be kinda sorta cool to know so I could at least be like "yea, the dude I asked questions on that one forum did that poo poo and totally hosed it up made it look absolutely awesome."

Also, is this game (and the books) supposed to be analogous to WWI, WWII, or both? It seems like Niilfgard is straight up Nazi Germany or Russia, Temaria is essentially the dissolution of Poland in both wars, and the Northern Kingdoms are a bunch of almost nearly post-monarchy states going off the deep end like Austria-Hungary, Serbia, Montenegro, maybe Russia (especially with Radivid but I'm not that familiar with the story to know if he's a mirror of Nicholas II). Everyone wants to go to war and kill everyone, poo poo just gets stuck in a stalemate on the Pontar, and the populace is stuck in the middle of a bunch of noble's and king's lovely chess game where millions die. Both the south and northern kingdoms are plum full of assholes and there isn't a "good" side to be on.

Seems more like Eastern Europe WWI countries than anything but I guess you could argue France were a bunch of loving assholes in WWI as well. WWI in general was a stupid loving war on all sides but I think there's an Ask/Tell thread on that topic.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

When she splits, run away. She will merge back together without healing anything.

or crossbow the clones

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I saw a whale yesterday, Comte. Thank you.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
What happens if I put a gem thing in my first-tier armour, then upgrade it to the second tier? Does the same gem stay in there? Or is it destroyed, or do I get it back?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So is there any way to prevent Priscilla from being attacked by the serial killer priest after you rescue Dandelion? I really hope it's not a consequence of some dumb decision I made earlier in the game :(

Nope. Spoilers though, you got the wrong guy

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Afaik no, but you can do your Witcher things to try and track the attacker down. Just don't be too hasty.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Just found the diagrams for Mastercraft Ursine armor on accident, and I don't even plan on wearing it. You will need to fight a level 19 cyclops with a hojillion hitpoints.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I misplaced my old Witcher 2 saves, and I can't find any on the Internet that go

code:
Roche path > killed Henselt > saved Anais > let Letho go
WITH THE TATTOO! I'd also like one where Geralt lets Sile de Tansarville pop like a fat tick, but that is obviously less critical than the Blue Stripes tattoo :911:.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Just found the diagrams for Mastercraft Ursine armor on accident, and I don't even plan on wearing it. You will need to fight a level 19 cyclops with a hojillion hitpoints.

Hah, I did the same thing too the other day. I didn't get the base Ursine gear until today. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Funnily enough, all of the Mastercraft Ursine armor is in the Novigrad area and it's surprisingly easy to get. Only two are anything remotely resembling a challenge, those being that cyclops and a level 26 earth golem. The rest don't even seem to have a fight. Kinda weird when the quest level is like 34 or something.

Though the big Yggdrasil tree you can see near the cyclops tower is hosed up, there's at least two level 30+ basilisks flying around being a nuisance.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

at the date posted:

I misplaced my old Witcher 2 saves, and I can't find any on the Internet that go

code:
Roche path > killed Henselt > saved Anais > let Letho go
WITH THE TATTOO! I'd also like one where Geralt lets Sile de Tansarville pop like a fat tick, but that is obviously less critical than the Blue Stripes tattoo :911:.

I did these things, including Sile going boom.

edit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4hF_cQoUu2dbjh5em5zT181c28/view?usp=sharing

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 27, 2015

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hah, I did the same thing too the other day. I didn't get the base Ursine gear until today. :v:

I went nuts when I found the first upgrade of Ursine gear and reloaded fifteen times trying to clear the cave full of nekkers at level 3. Realizing I needed to find and craft the base level first was a bit of a bummer

My take on the politics of the situation is that I read it like George RR Martin--the big people play the Game, and ultimately regardless of the outcome the people suffer. Just like reality, an agrarian economy can't withstand any level of disruption due to conflict (farmers killed or mobilized don't produce food at replacement level). The only thing that's going to bring living standards back to sustenance or greater is the death of a significant portion of the population, greater depending on how many harvests are missed. This world exists in the Malthusian trap

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Spent like half an hour trying to climb up to the huge tree while dodging the strong rear end cockatriss before giving up. I am guessing it is story locked?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Medieval Medic posted:

Spent like half an hour trying to climb up to the huge tree while dodging the strong rear end cockatriss before giving up. I am guessing it is story locked?

There is a tunnel into the mountain on the other side, it's story locked, and surrounded by tons of high level vampires prior to it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

You're amazing, thank you.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

lilspooky posted:

I'm playing the same difficulty but you are MUCH better equipped than I am. Where do I get moon dust bombs?

I honestly don't remember where the moon dust schematic came from - it might have been random sewer loot, I feel like I got a LOT of schematics by looting sewer barrels during Dijkstra's earlyish quests. I also visited Skellige fairly early (L12) and may have straight up bought it from a vendor, not sure. I binged on a lot of vendor goods between about 12-14 because I was gwenting it up.

The cat gear was really easy to acquire at the minimum level to equip, and it's a great investment of your time. Griffin gear has a low suggested level too (L10) although I haven't nabbed that one so can't speak to its effectiveness.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Beeez posted:

So is this game a big disappointment or are goons just accentuating the negative? The way some of y'all are talking, it sounds like every mechanic is tedious and frustrating.

The game is completely amazing and far and away the best CRPG I've ever played. It's just that everything to do with items, equipment, and combat makes no sense at all.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think Sign Intensity must translate pretty directly into burn chance for Igni and stun chance for Aard. I've got over 100% for all of those and can reliably chain status effects on anything not immune.

How's Skellige for combat difficulty? I'm 15 and worked my way through maybe 60% of the Velen map and I'm gonna guess about half of the quests I have in Novigrad with 40 hours played. Feel like I've trivialized most of the combat I'm running into and guessing Vikingland would be a step up

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
As corny as it sounds, chalk me up as another completely immersed player.

I have to credit the devs for how good the writing is and how well they show and tell the story and world through the gameplay of the Wild Hunt.

For example, I really enjoy having to make choices that have no gameplay/mechanic effects, but affect your relationships with the people around Geralt. Regarding Dandelion's Cabaret renovations, I went with the Boudoir theme and was genuinely disappointed by Dandelion's disappointment because he obviously preferred the Theater-theme instead. I actually felt like I'd failed somehow, that Geralt/I should have known better as Dandelion's purported best bud.. Decisions like whether to kill someone in cold-blood, not because they deserve it gently caress Whoreson, but because Geralt or his friends need to tie up loose ends feel weighty and impactful, and continue to linger long after I've made my choice.

Also I have to credit the devs for respecting the intelligence of the player. I loved cobbling together the narrative of events from various characters' journals, notes, and logbooks, leading up to the climax of a simple Witcher Gear treasure hunt. I remember feeling extremely disturbed after reading the Mage's notes which detailed the grisly fate of the Cat School Witcher

Even gameplay mechanics have positively contributed to my immersion. Because of the potential lethality in every encounter due to the Blood and Broken Bones difficulty, I've developed a healthy respect for monsters and hostile human(oids). They are all capable and fearsome opponents in their own right, and I imagine they know it, too (er, well the sentient ones). But they had the bad luck to run into a Witcher who can knock them flat on their rear end with a sign and effortlessly deliver the coup de grace. That has to be a lovely way to go, in a lovely world where everyone has had to claw their way to survive.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Man I just played through a section mid-Novigrad, dealing with Menge; where you have to bring Triss to the witch hunters in order to get into the building... and then try to get information out of Menge in a polite conversation while they're torturing her in the next room over :stonk:

That was some intense loving poo poo there. The multiple times the conversation is interrupted with Triss screaming in the other room while Geralt has to keep a poker face, Menge staring right at him trying to see if there's any reaction, anything. Weighing every conversation branch if I need to draw this out more or just snap and bury my sword in his loving face.

I played along the entire time and I got what I wanted, but... doesn't feel very good. I suspect that's the idea.

This game is really loving good.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

^^ oh god yes that was so brutal. I found myself staring blankly at the conversation prompts, unable to choose, because I was so distracted by what was going on. Another place where the facial expressions in the game were world loving benchmark level. At one point Geralt made a fist under the table and his expression tightened almost imperceptibly, and... god loving drat.

Pellisworth posted:

How's Skellige for combat difficulty?

It might be that I've gotten too used to facerolling while mopping up in the last zone, but I'm now 19 and getting an occasional healthy challenge from some of the 16+ mobs which would be easy in Velen. They have new attack patterns to learn and the environment isn't always on your side.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 27, 2015

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Meiteron posted:

Man I just played through a section mid-Novigrad, dealing with Menge; where you have to bring Triss to the witch hunters in order to get into the building... and then try to get information out of Menge in a polite conversation while they're torturing her in the next room over :stonk:

That was some intense loving poo poo there. The multiple times the conversation is interrupted with Triss screaming in the other room while Geralt has to keep a poker face, Menge staring right at him trying to see if there's any reaction, anything. Weighing every conversation branch if I need to draw this out more or just snap and bury my sword in his loving face.

I played along the entire time and I got what I wanted, but... doesn't feel very good. I suspect that's the idea.

The moment the henchman outside refuse to bulge on torturing her was when the sword came out in my playthrough.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Meiteron posted:

The only problem I had with that quest was that I hosed up early and just murdered everybody, but Triss' reaction was the same afterwards regardless of how you did it.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
lol @ this dude just cheerin' on my drowner fight.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Trolls are the best. I hope one of the DLC expansions is just Geralt dealing with an entire land of trolls.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Quick skill question, is fleet footed worth it? I invested some points into it and maybe im doing it wrong but it doesnt seem to do much?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Manatee Cannon posted:

Funnily enough, all of the Mastercraft Ursine armor is in the Novigrad area and it's surprisingly easy to get. Only two are anything remotely resembling a challenge, those being that cyclops and a level 26 earth golem. The rest don't even seem to have a fight. Kinda weird when the quest level is like 34 or something.

Though the big Yggdrasil tree you can see near the cyclops tower is hosed up, there's at least two level 30+ basilisks flying around being a nuisance.

I know it's so annoying the monster placement in this game. You'll have loads of level 8 drowners running around, only to come upon a level ?? basilisk over the hill.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Sankis posted:

Trolls are the best.

"You have quite a way with trolls. Have you thought about having children?"

I could spend all night unpacking that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sankis posted:

Trolls are the best. I hope one of the DLC expansions is just Geralt dealing with an entire land of trolls.

I really hope they end up on Giant Bomb's Best New Character list for GOTY 2015. They're so great. :allears:

Edit: Trolls from 2 don't count because they're not rock trolls. :colbert: