Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I enjoyed the Kuma more than the Furutaka. The latter doesn't really give much room for making mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Velius posted:

If Bismark is tier 8, then I guess we're getting two H ships for 9 and 10. I wonder what they're going to do for the tier 10 gun system, the 18 inch variant? Or the comedy 20"?

I'd doubt 20". The Yamato pushed the bar uncomfortably high already.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arishtat posted:

So the IJN Furutaka is kinda of an ungainly ship, but it's hard not to love it when you torpedo an onrushing Aoba-class cruiser, disable his engines with a citadel hit and sink him with a magazine explosion 30 seconds later. :black101:

Dude was not happy about that.

I generated some absolute rage last night in my Kongo, Domination game we're down 850-990 so in the dying seconds firing and I fired a desperation shot at one of their BB's. 1 shell hit, magazine explosion and on the way to glorious victory! He was not happy at all.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I head on rammed some pubbie's almost full health Amagi in my quarter health New York. He killed me and I took all but a tiny bit of health away and the flooding did the rest. We both had a laugh about it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Furutaka's guns are unnecessarily awkward. You can beat up Omahas since you have actual armor against 6" guns (on a Japanese cruiser!) but against anything else you just fire too few shells. And the middle guns have godawful firing arcs, and your guns turn much slower than your ship.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

xthetenth posted:

I'd doubt 20". The Yamato pushed the bar uncomfortably high already.

I haven't played high tier battleships yet, how much does the shell size race influence things? Can a Yamato reliably citadel an Iowa from a wider set of ranged, for example?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I head on rammed some pubbie's almost full health Amagi in my quarter health New York. He killed me and I took all but a tiny bit of health away and the flooding did the rest. We both had a laugh about it.

I only recently discovered there's a ramming achievement that gives you a flag that a makes you better at ramming :black101:

It's slightly misworded, you don't have to survive the battle, just survive the ram.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I just had a 385 exp win in my Sims, where I managed to land about 4 shots in total. Pretty crap you will agree. However I managed to tie up six enemy ships, 3 Battleships and 3 cruisers as they desperately tried to kill me as I ran around just firing shots wildly in their direction and spamming torps that were not going to hit in a million years. At least 2 ships managed to ground themselves whilst I just bombed about like a lunatic taking zero hits and dodging BB shots as soon as they were launched. It was probably one of the funnest but most retarded games I have ever played.

If I got exp for screams of frustration, I'd have got 20000.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I only recently discovered there's a ramming achievement that gives you a flag that a makes you better at ramming :black101:

It's slightly misworded, you don't have to survive the battle, just survive the ram.

Wait, you can survive rams? I thought it was an instant kill for both parties. Does it do a fixed amount of damage or factors in tonnage and whatnot. I have to do this now...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Wait, you can survive rams? I thought it was an instant kill for both parties. Does it do a fixed amount of damage or factors in tonnage and whatnot. I have to do this now...

It does a fixed amount based on class and tier, I think.

In desperation I rammed a Mogami in my Mahan. He had about 5k HP left and was about 3 seconds from annihilating me with a volley, so I figured what the hell.

It only did 2900 damage...

Cruisers do impressive damage though.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Velius posted:

If Bismark is tier 8, then I guess we're getting two H ships for 9 and 10. I wonder what they're going to do for the tier 10 gun system, the 18 inch variant? Or the comedy 20"?

Some one posted some time ago that if this was going to happen they would try the 18 inch project, and if it ended up being pretty bad they would replace it with the 20 inch one

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So is the Mogami the ideal cruiser? With the 15.5 cm guns it does 5000+ damage per salvo with HE, and is a crazy firestarter. I don't see a great reason to use the 8" guns since they won't penetrate battleships anyway and I sacrifice so the firing rate so much.

Velius fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 27, 2015

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Just got the Cleveland... and it is raining shells. :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Burt posted:

I just had a 385 exp win in my Sims, where I managed to land about 4 shots in total. Pretty crap you will agree. However I managed to tie up six enemy ships, 3 Battleships and 3 cruisers as they desperately tried to kill me as I ran around just firing shots wildly in their direction and spamming torps that were not going to hit in a million years. At least 2 ships managed to ground themselves whilst I just bombed about like a lunatic taking zero hits and dodging BB shots as soon as they were launched. It was probably one of the funnest but most retarded games I have ever played.

If I got exp for screams of frustration, I'd have got 20000.

Yeah, I'm not too impressed with the Sims. The Grem might be two tiers lower, but it certainly gives you that "practically a light cruiser" feeling, and the 8km range on the torps means you can launch a spread without getting loving cut to ribbons by a BB's secondaries.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MoraleHazard posted:

I got one of these flags. A Sims was charging my Amagi to get close enough for a torpedo attack, so I counter-charged so we were head on. At just over 4k when he was probably about to turn for his launch, I hit him for craptastic damage, but jammed his rudder. :black101: Ran him right the gently caress over and drove away with barely a scratch.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

The Locator posted:

I got one of these flags. A Sims was charging my Amagi to get close enough for a torpedo attack, so I counter-charged so we were head on. At just over 4k when he was probably about to turn for his launch, I hit him for craptastic damage, but jammed his rudder. :black101: Ran him right the gently caress over and drove away with barely a scratch.

An enemy Wakatake charged my Wakatake while my torpedoes were on reload, and my guns didn't reload fast enough to sink it, so I turned the tail end of my ship into its path and sank it with 53 health left. :black101:
And then I sank five more ships in a 53 health Wakatake. Low tier players are bad. :japan:

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Some guy in a Zao was talking in chat about how if your captain is retraining with pyromania then you get a huge boost to fires via a bug.

It just so happened I researched the Mogami after that game and did the free retraining to test it out.

Seems legit. There were times where a single salvo was starting 4 fires at once :stare:

Edit:

It seems like it doubles your fire chance when you are retraining your captain. I retrained my Des Moines captain to the Wyoming and left him like that while using the Des Moines and was doing the same thing, 2-3 fires per salvo.

Ending matches with 2x the fire damage of my base HE damage. :vince:

Burno fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 27, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Weissritter posted:

Just got the Cleveland... and it is raining shells. :stare:

I literally just finished my first game in this thing and, yeah. Holy poo poo. Just saturate everything with shells.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I literally just finished my first game in this thing and, yeah. Holy poo poo. Just saturate everything with shells.

First game, eh? That means you didn't have the gun upgrade that increases the fire rate. :getin:

Cyanophyta
Apr 24, 2008

The 2 mutsukis and I carried our entire team in the last 10 minutes of the match, I closed up to the enemy nagato and got a double citadel hit to blow him up for the 5th kill followed by finishing off the kitakami which had been harrassing one of the DDs with literally 1 second left to spare. Probably the funnest match I've had this entire beta

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I got this in a Kawachi of all things. I was running up the IJN CV tree during the x4 weekend so I only had to run it for one round. In that round a DD tried to torpedo me but only hit 1 and then ran into an island trying to escape. I just squished him while blowing up a Chikuma at the same time. :smug:

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I know this is quite a bit due to personal preference, but do BBs ever get "better"? I just unlocked the Kongo, but I don't think I'm going to bother buying it. Slow, poor shell travel time, poor reload and glacial turret rotation. I usually have no problem hitting with a cruiser in my opening salvo, but with BBs it takes me two or three volleys before I hit anything given the shell-spread and time between shots meaning I have to completely recalculate every shot. This is assuming a mediocre player at least who makes even the slightest attempt to evade. Would I be better served trying the american BBs instead or should I just try getting a bit higher it the tree before writing off the jap BBs?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

El Disco posted:

First game, eh? That means you didn't have the gun upgrade that increases the fire rate. :getin:

My first game with this ship was great, every game after seemed to be a loss in which every other ship on the other team decided I was the only ship against them.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I know this is quite a bit due to personal preference, but do BBs ever get "better"? I just unlocked the Kongo, but I don't think I'm going to bother buying it. Slow, poor shell travel time, poor reload and glacial turret rotation. I usually have no problem hitting with a cruiser in my opening salvo, but with BBs it takes me two or three volleys before I hit anything given the shell-spread and time between shots meaning I have to completely recalculate every shot. This is assuming a mediocre player at least who makes even the slightest attempt to evade. Would I be better served trying the american BBs instead or should I just try getting a bit higher it the tree before writing off the jap BBs?

How do you get to the next ship if you don't buy the previous? Maybe I'm missing something. Free exp?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm trying to figure out when battleships become fun too. Fuso basically fires a shotgun of shells. You're slow, inaccurate, and incredibly vulnerable to everything.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Velius posted:

I'm trying to figure out when battleships become fun too. Fuso basically fires a shotgun of shells. You're slow, inaccurate, and incredibly vulnerable to everything.

Fuso has extremely long range. With upgrades, the accuracy becomes pretty decent. If you have good aim, it's probably the best sniper in the game.

Nagato has hilariously good secondaries (or did, I think they might've been nerfed in the last patch? I forget) - with appropriate upgrades, you can have like a 7.5 km secondary range that is basically a zone of death for destroyers. In fact, I've killed entire battleships with Nagato secondaries while I was busy killing something else with the main armament.

I'm not very far along the US tree, but the New York seems to have pretty good stopping power. YMMV, I guess, but I think battleships are actually pretty cool.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

IJN battleships start getting good with the Kongo, though the Fuso really needs the accuracy module to reliably hit stuff at long range, and I suspect it's similar with the American ones - at the very least I've not been particularly impressed with either the South Carolina or the Wyoming. Just because you hated the Tier 3 and 4 ones does not mean you'll despise them past that. Not to say you'll necessarily enjoy the playstyle - I personally prefer cruisers and destroyers - but if it's speed and accuracy you're complaining about then those are mostly fixed once you get out of the first two.

And yes, from what I've heard the Nagato's secondaries(or probably just secondaries in general) were nerfed in the patch, but are still quite lethal to those who have to spend any extended amount of time within them.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

jownzy posted:

How do you get to the next ship if you don't buy the previous? Maybe I'm missing something. Free exp?

I played the Myogi and unlocked the Kongo but haven't actually bought the Kongo yet. If people say it gets better soon, I was going to buy the kongo and slog through.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The bug with the firestarter captain ability is pretty hilarious when you stick him in an Atlanta, I'm getting 10+ fires without even trying :haw:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I played the Myogi and unlocked the Kongo but haven't actually bought the Kongo yet. If people say it gets better soon, I was going to buy the kongo and slog through.

If you're playing a Kongo and you're in the wrong spot on the map, you can go somewhere else. It's a useful ability that's lacking on most battleships. As an added advantage over the Myogi, you can sink ships in a Kongo.

There's a decent chance that the Kongo will be fun even if you don't like battleships in general. Even if it isn't, it makes twice as many credits without premium as a Type 59+premium account, so the opportunity cost is very low.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

You should try the Kongo and see if you still feel the same way. The Kawachi and Myogi do not really reflect what the higher tier IJN battleships are like. The Kongo is almost as fast as a cruiser so you can get into a more comfortable firing range quickly if you do not like long range gunnery. Hitting with extremely long range shots generally requires a bit of luck anyway, unless you are shooting at bad players that never change course or speed.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely give the Kongo a shot. Maybe it'll click and I'll love them, but if it doesn't, I'll just go back to making GBS threads torpedos at people until I inevitably get smoked by a careless team-mate's torps. It's the worst feeling when you manage to knifefight a higher tier cruiser to death in an american DD only to get dropped by a team-mate's torps

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I made a friend today! :buddy:

Unrelated:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Haha, what did you do to make that guy so mad?

My favorite thing today was getting called dishonorable for sinking a Baltimore with my Ibuki's torps. Apparently we were supposed to be dueling with guns. I love it when people forget IJN cruisers have torpedoes.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Other than the Nagato, what other BBs are worth improving the secondaries on?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yamato? Neither Amagi or Izumo have particularly good secondary setups as far as I can tell.

Incidentally, though I don't have it yet, I'm honestly not too impressed with what the stats on the Izumo say. It doesn't have great secondaries, its armor is absolutely terrible, and its speed is mediocre at best. And having all its guns mounted on the prow is only situationally useful. What, exactly, is it gaining in exchange for having armor barely better than a heavy cruiser? Can someone who actually has it weigh in?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Yamato? Neither Amagi or Izumo have particularly good secondary setups as far as I can tell.

Incidentally, though I don't have it yet, I'm honestly not too impressed with what the stats on the Izumo say. It doesn't have great secondaries, its armor is absolutely terrible, and its speed is mediocre at best. And having all its guns mounted on the prow is only situationally useful. What, exactly, is it gaining in exchange for having armor barely better than a heavy cruiser? Can someone who actually has it weigh in?

What about US BBs? Just looking at the stats (I only have up till the Nex Mexico), it seems on paper they have strong AAs, and weak secondaries. Not sure in practice though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Weissritter posted:

What about US BBs? Just looking at the stats (I only have up till the Nex Mexico), it seems on paper they have strong AAs, and weak secondaries. Not sure in practice though.

Looking at their stats, the high tier US ones all seem to mount 10x2 127mm secondaries. Comparing that to the 18x1 140mm PLUS 4x2 127mm guns on Nagato it seems decently weaker, but I'm not sure how effective or not they actually are in practice. At least they don't suffer a reduction in range from 5 to 4.5km like Amagi and Izumo do.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

5 scout planes? (instead of 3) :smith:

Burno fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there a way to work out the current degree of rotation of your turret? I know it shows how far from centre currently rotating turrets are but it would be good to know where you're aiming so you can adjust a specific number of degrees.