Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Stop trying to make sense of DC fuckery. I alsmost went insane trying to chart out their bizarre logic back when they outlawed parts of the Batman universe on Justice League - there is no logic.

There is only corporate fuckery.

I'm watching the JL cartoons now, do you have any examples of this? I haven't really noticed much like that (not defending DC, I've read about some of the poo poo they've done vis a vis rights to hero's and derivitive vs inspired by nonsense)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

its been ages since I followed it, but basically when they switched from Justice League to Justice League Unlimited the creative team was told that the entire batman universe was off limits - outside of Batman himself.

They later somehow got a few references in, and even managed a Batman Beyond tribute episode, but its all very and extremely dumb.

Especially given that Justice League basically had a blank check for its first few years - the creators said that the only thing they were flatly denied was Blue Beetle (Arrow ran into the same problem).

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
They yanked a few Batman villains from the Legion of Doom in JLU, the Joker basically fell off the animated radar for quite a long time, a few episode scripts were hurriedly changed to remove Barbara Gordon, etc. It carried through into The Batman when that aired as well.

Edit: apparently there's a wiki for the animated Bat-Embargo! http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Bat-embargo

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Narcissus1916 posted:

Especially given that Justice League basically had a blank check for its first few years - the creators said that the only thing they were flatly denied was Blue Beetle (Arrow ran into the same problem).

What the gently caress are they doing with Blue Beetle? Is this a rights thing or have they got some massive secret undertaking that precludes Blue Beetle showing up on screens?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Same reason. They wanted Ted Kord, DC said no because Jaime Reyes is their Blue Beetle now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's really frustrating because I'd be ok with either Blue Beetle getting any screen time. Ted's the one we all know and love, but it would be cool to see Jaime and a setting for a superhero that isn't Not - New York. It was really refreshing to read a superhero comic that took place in the Southwest for once.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
They had Ted Kord AND Jaime Reyes on Smallville in the episode with Booster Gold. It's a bit shocking in retrospect, given how off limits Kord has been for all these years, but I suppose a one off appearance is different. Maybe.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Narcissus1916 posted:

its been ages since I followed it, but basically when they switched from Justice League to Justice League Unlimited the creative team was told that the entire batman universe was off limits - outside of Batman himself.

They later somehow got a few references in, and even managed a Batman Beyond tribute episode, but its all very and extremely dumb.

Hahahaha who has such a boner for Blue Beetle? What a weird character to restrict

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Some people really loving love Ted Kord. I'm not one of them, but that makes more sense than everyone who has a massive nostalgia boner for Hal Jordan.

I should also mention that my bitching about stupid restrictions should in no way be seen as a slight against Justice League. Its goddamn fantastic and probably the best way to get your superhero fix over the summer. Well, next to agent carter and/or daredevil.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Hahahaha who has such a boner for Blue Beetle? What a weird character to restrict

Geoff Johns, same as most of DC's problems.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Ted Kord Blue Beetle is my all-time favorite superhero as well. I was really disappointed he never made it into the JLU cartoon, but at least they made an action figure of him, years after the show was off the air and the figures were online exclusives sold at inflated prices.

I was even more disappointed when a character who looked and acted a lot like him was introduced on Arrow, played by a very charismatic actor, but turned out to be a Silver Age blank slate of a character who was traditionally even more boring than Hal Jordan. Brandon Routh's portrayal is the best thing to ever happen for Ray Palmer/Atom fans (are there any?), but it kills me to think how awesome Ted Kord would have been on Arrow, especially after all the Kord references in the first two seasons.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Johns isn't ALL horrible. He did help write a few of the good Arrow/Flash episodes - like the one that introduced Snart on Flash.

Of course, he also brought in Huntress on Arrow, and actually wrote Flashpoint so...

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's really frustrating because I'd be ok with either Blue Beetle getting any screen time. Ted's the one we all know and love, but it would be cool to see Jaime and a setting for a superhero that isn't Not - New York. It was really refreshing to read a superhero comic that took place in the Southwest for once.

Are you sure?

I do wish that Johns would just allow Charleton comic heroes on the TV shows, because they really can just exist outside the continuity with the main DC characters.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 27, 2015

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Are you sure?

I do wish that Johns would just allow Charleton comic heroes on the TV shows, because they really can just exist outside the continuity with the main DC characters.

That actually looks pretty rad. What's it from? He looks like a super sentai.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

That actually looks pretty rad. What's it from? He looks like a super sentai.

It is from Smallville, and I guess it looked to much like Karmen Rider for my tastes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

It is from Smallville, and I guess it looked to much like Karmen Rider for my tastes.

The Reach is just a Japanese makeover from being the theme/villains for a season of Kamen Rider. It is a shame that Jaime has only had animated appearances besides Smallville, but they did good with him all things considered.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think Johns actually LIKES Blue Beetle. He wrote the Smallville episode with Booster, Jaime, and Ted, and he co-wrote some great Blue Beetle stories in the comics: Countdown to Infinite Crisis, where he, Rucka, and Winick actually killed off Ted, and the post-52 Booster Gold arc where Booster saved Ted and had alternate timeline adventures with him. Plus, the Arrow showrunners were all set to introduce Brandon Routh as Ted until "DC" intervened. But I really don't think that was Johns' call, even though he is Chief Creative Officer. It might be Dan DiDio's issue.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

imperialparadox posted:

Season Four: Ollie moves to a new city and takes up a new job, becoming the masked wrestler El Flecha Verde.

Better than Season Three in every way.

I assume the bad guy of that season would be the luchador version of Bane.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I think Johns actually LIKES Blue Beetle. He wrote the Smallville episode with Booster, Jaime, and Ted, and he co-wrote some great Blue Beetle stories in the comics: Countdown to Infinite Crisis, where he, Rucka, and Winick actually killed off Ted, and the post-52 Booster Gold arc where Booster saved Ted and had alternate timeline adventures with him. Plus, the Arrow showrunners were all set to introduce Brandon Routh as Ted until "DC" intervened. But I really don't think that was Johns' call, even though he is Chief Creative Officer. It might be Dan DiDio's issue.

It's possible that there's side Blue Beetle thing waiting to be produced, but it's in a stage of development hell and any tone someone wants to do a live action thing with it, the project still in hell takes precedence and halts that. Also, want there a live action promo of sorts for Blue Beetle that was done a while ago?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Xelkelvos posted:

It's possible that there's side Blue Beetle thing waiting to be produced, but it's in a stage of development hell and any tone someone wants to do a live action thing with it, the project still in hell takes precedence and halts that. Also, want there a live action promo of sorts for Blue Beetle that was done a while ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElRNinNw96Q

Yup, but it's not a promo, it's a screen test. It was done to see how BB would look live action. Still, it's 5+ years old at this point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

The bug-themed armoured superhero looks like another bug-themed armoured superhero? :aaa:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like there's going to be more to the Amell/Stardust WWE thing.

Amell has been challenged to come back.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh gently caress this is going to be great

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I dont know posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElRNinNw96Q

Yup, but it's not a promo, it's a screen test. It was done to see how BB would look live action. Still, it's 5+ years old at this point.

Gaz-L posted:

The bug-themed armoured superhero looks like another bug-themed armoured superhero? :aaa:

I prefer this looks a bit better than smallvilles. Also I guess being that karmen rider was something I hated when I was six any thing that makes me think of it rubs me wrong/.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:japan: Kamen Rider you stanky infidel, not Karmen Rider.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All animes look the same to me.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

:japan: Kamen Rider you stanky infidel, not Karmen Rider.

Hey its been almost two decades. I'll make it up and watch that lovely cross over episode he did with the power rangers.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like there's going to be more to the Amell/Stardust WWE thing.

Amell has been challenged to come back.

"Unlike Cody here, I'm a real superhero :smug:"

":dogbutton:"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now the rumor is they're fighting at Summerslam.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Aphrodite posted:

I think that was just speculation here.

The only thing I read is that the scheduling is bad for him.

I thought Sepinwall reported at one point about how he wanted to be on the show but was told he couldn't which of course got everyone here super happy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just finished Season 2. Does Laurel die this season? Please say yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sort of!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Laurel doesn't die, but the show does!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Halloween Jack posted:

I just finished Season 2. Does Laurel die this season? Please say yes.

Laurel is the best part of season 3!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Episode 2 was Drunk Laurel and Deathstroke telling her who Arrow is, right? How could anybody hate her after that?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Drunk Laurel was just an even more basic bitch than regular Laurel.

She pretty most embodies the laziest, most CWest parts of the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No that's Felicity this season.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
To my mind, this is the only way to add relationship drama to the show and redeem it.
Green Arrow

Green Arrow and his best friend/A.I. Bow

Actually, ANYTHING to get rid of the stupid gloomy brooding bullshit. They could turn the show into a Two and a Half Men sitcom and it'd be better than season 3 was.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 3, 2015

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Drifter posted:

Actually, ANYTHING to get rid of the stupid gloomy brooding bullshit.
I thought Oliver was Mr. Happy at the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nelson posted:

I thought Oliver was Mr. Happy at the end of the season.

With only the crazy codependent chick in a relationship with a pretty emotionally abusive guy.

• Locked thread