Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Playing on Ragefire has left me completely thrilled for Project 1999's recycle server.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Do any of you live playing bronies happen to have a Centurio Loop, Marauder's Stud or Buccaneer's Hoop you could test copy 2 of? Accidentally tributed mine on two chars and it wont even let me get them back with token of reclamations ;(

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

Do any of you live playing bronies happen to have a Centurio Loop, Marauder's Stud or Buccaneer's Hoop you could test copy 2 of? Accidentally tributed mine on two chars and it wont even let me get them back with token of reclamations ;(

Aw, VAW, I am so sorry. Nobody should lose TDS rares like that. I just traded the necklace that you gave me for a Brigand's Hoop, but if you would like the goggles back to trade, I will gladly give them back so that you can use them as trade-bait.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

boho posted:

Playing on Ragefire has left me completely thrilled for Project 1999's recycle server.

Haven't played on Ragefire but yeah I can't wait. Except that I can. Multiple years.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I have been trawling through Everquest twitch streams looking for people raiding on this Ragefire server but so far have drawn a blank because everyone is still leveling, or more accurately what looks like sitting down doing nothing.

I've always been morbidly curious of ancient era MMO raiding. Since (to my understanding) the bosses aren't instanced, how do different groups coordinate things? Is there some kind of server-wide calendar or something? Can another group troll another group's raid attempt?

Minsky fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 26, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Whoever gets their raid force there first gets the kill basically.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Do the bosses reset at random times or something? And aren't there still mechanics that the second group could screw up for the first, like breaking their CC or something?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Minsky posted:

Do the bosses reset at random times or something? And aren't there still mechanics that the second group could screw up for the first, like breaking their CC or something?

The bosses have one week respawn timers, they're just mobs in the open world that anyone can attack and kill. A few days ago a small group killed all the bosses that can be realistically killed at this point, so there won't be anything interesting happening for a while.

Basically some turbo nerds sniped that poo poo, please look forward to those bosses dying again at 03:00 EDT next week!

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Minsky posted:

Raid targets have really long respawn timers that have a random component to them usually, a lot of classic and kunark have respawn timers that are 5 days with minus or plus 12 hours, meaning it can spawn in 4.5 days or 5.5, they added the randomness to at least try to prevent the same guild from poop socking everything.

They have said that DPS is everything so whoever does most DPS wins, but they didnt say anything about griefing by guilds that will train each other with mobs to wipe them, break their CC, etc. There are some events that they will have to officially come down on but its years away, like Rathe council, Cynosure, etc.

The greatest story from classic EQ is something I was just talking to darkhand about in game, it was a raid target that was needed for cleric epic 1.0, spawned once a week and there was a huge unofficial list for which cleric got to kill it that week that was kept on each server's unofficial forums page. Most servers had a list of over 50 clerics which meant over a year of waiting before you would ever stand a chance of getting your piece, my server kept going by their list until right at the end of Luclin when a Hong Kong / Chinese guild cut in line which led to some of the greatest in game drama Ive ever seen. It was marvelous.

Another fight they will have to do something about is PoTactics Rallos Zek, if they stick to "DPS is everything" then you will just have guild A do the first part of the script while Guild B sits in the arena waiting for him to repop there. Once Guild B aggros him if anyone from Guild A gets on his aggro list he will banish them to PoSky to get death touched by Spiroc Lord.

I hope that accurately paints the picture of what early EQ raiding is like.

Vag Assault Weapon fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 26, 2015

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Minsky posted:

To a point: No.

Classic EQ raids were all very simple, they a were a good 5 years before the first wow raids that were based off EQ raids a few years later. EQ used a 16-bit signed int for HP at the time, so the max HP was 32,767. All these mobs have that many hps. Respawn times were mostly 7 days, later lowered to 3 days +/- 8 hours.

There's two dragons, Nagafen and Vox. They're fire and cold mirrors of each other. Single target melee, plus an AE damage and top buff slot dispel, and an AE fear. (Fear in EQ is a lose control and run away effect)

Phinigel Autropos, underwater mob, has some cleric seahorses around him. He's much easier than the dragons, and he's not linked to the seahorses, so pulling tricks or killing the seahorses works to make this fight easier.

Cazic-Thule and Innoruuk are the gods of fear and hate. They each have their own plane and were upgraded a few expansions later This is what I can remember of the pre-revamp versions.

On aggro, CT summons anything still alive in the zone to him, and death touches the person on top of his aggro. The Death Touch recycles every 30 or 60 seconds. He also has an AE knockback with a small amount of damage (+dispell?).

Innoruuk is about the same, but I remember him being harder than CT.

Then there's Plane of Sky, a zone that came out before the first EQ expansion(Kunark), meant to be beaten after the level cap was raised with Kunark. The zone is split up into islands that required keys to advance forward. While most of the individual encounters are simple, the zone itself is more complex than other EQ raids, incorporating puzzles, splitting mobs, triggered mobs, and death touches on mini-bosses. It was designed to be a 1-2 day long encounter for a raid force, with people camping out in the zone overnight to continue on the next day. Major bosses were 7 day respawn, later lowered to 3.

EQ never purposefully designed pvp effects in to its raids. They were always designed for one cohesive group. The lack of a serverside filter before ~2001 also meant that any engagement over ~32 people would start causing linkdeaths on anyone in the area, starting with those who had the worst connections. So groups contesting a raid mob had a good reasons to work something out before engaging, or the whole pile would go LD and be a complete mess for everyone. The raid window came about a year later, so at that time damage was calculated by 6 player groups, not by raid forces.

By ~2004 the raids were put into instances where only one raid force could be in the zone. That was also when raids started to add scripting to get more more complex effects than melee, AE melee, extra attacks, single target spells, and AE spells.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2255330.stm

quote:

Mr Graham has been told that Verant is investigating the "kill-stealing" incident he suffered and that action could be taken against Silent Resurgence if they are found to have broken the game's rules.

I was in SR for a while, and rejoined when I came back.

Afair, SR got away with that incident just fine.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

To say it briefly, raid bosses were literally just like any other mob, except with a fixed spawn spot, long respawn time and a big loot table of special items. There was no in-game concept of a raid, chat channel, instances or anything; just groups of people attacking said mob and figuring out things amongst them.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 26, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

jetz0r posted:

The raid window came about a year later, so at that time damage was calculated by 6 player groups, not by raid forces.

This was the best part, because there was also no loot alert so not only did one group get to loot out of a raid, but whoever clicked the corpse first was the first one to see what dropped, and there was nothing to stop them from taking a rare drop and telling the entire raid "drat, no MacGuffin this time guys"

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

They have said that DPS is everything so whoever does most DPS wins, but they didnt say anything about griefing by guilds that will train each other with mobs to wipe them, break their CC, etc. There are some events that they will have to officially come down on but its years away, like Rathe council, Cynosure, etc.

No they don't, if you mean regarding blocking other people from progressing.

It's one of those meme generated things, but there is this video that someone made regarding what EoE did on Vulak to prevent other guilds from getting into Time and gearing up. SoE at the time didn't say a word about it. You can absolutely indefinitely block people in Planes of Power from progressing to elemental or time, or using other block mobs in other expansions.

Side note: Cynosure isn't required for progression for a guild (other than BIC), he just has to be dead to get into Inktu'ta, doesn't matter if you killed him or not. The only blocking boss for GoD is Zun'muram, everything else is instanced or mostly optional (had to think on that a bit if Grand Summoner ring is optional, I'm 99% sure you don't need it to get access to Ikkinz 4 but do need it to get BIC).

I'm bored so here's block mobs afaik:

Kunark: Trakanon (blocks VP)
Velious: Statue (blocks AoW), Warders (kill em all and no one else gets warder loot)
Luclin: The Praesertums (blocks Seru, maybe? I don't think you can trickery to get into the arx), Emp Ssra (blocks VT). You could technically lock down as many bosses as possible to prevent people who've killed Ssra from getting into VT (need the luclinite orbs), but that would be pretty tough.
PoP: Every boss is a block boss potentially, depends on what your competition needs.
GoD: Zun'muram (blocks Tacvi)
OoW: No blocking mobs, everything is instanced.
DoN: No blocking mobs, everything is instanced.
DoDH: Master Vule (blocks Demiplane)
POR: The sverag warlord or the bazu dude in devastation (blocks the Sullon raid, which is required to get into deathknell)

TSS and onward there are no more blocking bosses as everything that is progression through the expansion is instanced. You could be a raging dickhole of a guild and lock down mobs for specific tasks that are needed to request raids, like doing the second Brell's Rest task but not actually *doing* it which bugs the dude for roughly 30 minutes where no one can do anything, but that's almost prohibitively difficult and all you have to do is gently caress up once and all your time is lost.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Holiday weekend is over and zones still packed in the AM.

They need to bite the bullet and instance everything. It's a progression server, not classic, so what does it matter if there are 5 Guks or a few guilds get a crack at raids.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Implementing instancing for original raids is too :effort: for DBG, but they've already successfully implemented functional instances on "newbie" zones (despite some of these zones actually having content up until the 30s and beyond). Now they just need to roll that out to all other non-raid zones (with sane population caps based on zone -- Crushbone needs to spawn a new instance at 30 players, not 100) and 99% of the user base will be happy.

Right now Ragefire's community is worse than the League of Legends community, and it's all because of limited resources with no means to actually police player behavior. No one gives a gently caress about "blacklists" in 2015, plus for the low cost of $15 (or less if you Krono it) you too can box a Magician, act like a total dick, and easily level your "real" character in total anonymity. I see idiots wasting money on XP potions when all they have to do is drop $15 for a month of triple XP compared to begging for a group while their 4 hour 25% xp potion ticks away.

On the other hand raids will always cause the most delectable salty tears, so no need to fix what isn't broken.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Classic raids are never not gonna be a total poo poo show. Raids don't even have a lot of loot and you have 10 times as many people trying to get them. Even on fippy in eoe we were still gearing the last few people from underfoot into hot release.
Even with a 6 month unlock time you're still looking at upwards of 1000 people mad as heck.

It's kinda fun so far for me though I have to be realistic in what loot I'm hoping to get out of it. Grouping with full people is possible and fun

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
30 people in zone, open a new instance. Put it on everything. Who cares if a single guild gets 5 Naggy/Vox/CT kills a week.. that same guild was going to get every single spawn anyways and now others will at least have a shot. Guilds would actually work together to get enough people in zones to spawn a new instance.

Keep that up until GoD and give guilds a one time GM spawn of a raid mob for progression to stop that one guild that thinks driving away the whole server is best for them later on.

That said, I'm still having fun but I'm not killing myself until I see what they are planning to do to fix this mess. 6 months is plenty of time to get to 50.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

quote:

The greatest story from classic EQ is something I was just talking to darkhand about in game, it was a raid target that was needed for cleric epic 1.0, spawned once a week and there was a huge unofficial list for which cleric got to kill it that week that was kept on each server's unofficial forums page. Most servers had a list of over 50 clerics which meant over a year of waiting before you would ever stand a chance of getting your piece, my server kept going by their list until right at the end of Luclin when a Hong Kong / Chinese guild cut in line which led to some of the greatest in game drama Ive ever seen. It was marvelous.

This reminds me of something I recall happening on Rodcet Nife, years ago. I had RL friends back in Kunark/Velious that played on Rodcet, and as I remember it some guild, I believe made up of Vietnamese players, trained another guild that was fighting Ragefire in Skyfire. I have never done the cleric epic and cannot remember how it worked before and after they changed the Ragefire-camp-from-hell, and this is also from over 12 years ago, so forgive me if this sounds a bit daft. As I recall, this guild made up of Vietnamese players hosed up the Ragefire fight and, when another guild was fighting him in Skyfire, they trained Talendor on them, causing a wipe after which they KSed Ragefire. It was a huge to-do and ended up with a mass banning of the entire guild. I guess that this had to be post-revamp for Ragefire, because when he was a week-long camp it was in Solusek and later, when he was triggered, it was in Skyfire. It has been so long I can scarcely remember.

quote:

Another fight they will have to do something about is PoTactics Rallos Zek, if they stick to "DPS is everything" then you will just have guild A do the first part of the script while Guild B sits in the arena waiting for him to repop there. Once Guild B aggros him if anyone from Guild A gets on his aggro list he will banish them to PoSky to get death touched by Spiroc Lord.

Wait, what?!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Malt posted:

30 people in zone, open a new instance. Put it on everything. Who cares if a single guild gets 5 Naggy/Vox/CT kills a week.. that same guild was going to get every single spawn anyways and now others will at least have a shot. Guilds would actually work together to get enough people in zones to spawn a new instance.

Keep that up until GoD and give guilds a one time GM spawn of a raid mob for progression to stop that one guild that thinks driving away the whole server is best for them later on.

That said, I'm still having fun but I'm not killing myself until I see what they are planning to do to fix this mess. 6 months is plenty of time to get to 50.

They'd have to make expedition lockouts otherwise the chat would be filled up with system wide boss kill messages. And if they didn't, the rich would get richer everyone else will get jackshit.

I don't expect them to change anything even though it would be awesome. But I think hoping they would will comprise your sanity.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I don't see what the problem is. Everyone is getting exactly what they asked for: drama, jealousy and angst. They even got server problems and overpopulation thrown in. It's an exact replica of EQ circa 1999-2000. They just didn't remember.

I would think that was Daybreak's plan: Everyone is clamoring for a classic server and won't shut up about it, so give it to them. But I don't think they're that clever.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

Do ragefire goons hang out in any chat channels or guilds?

Serverwide mage chat is probably the worst thing that has happened to me recently.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Serverwide.gchat:fygm
It's mostly VAW, jetz0r, me (Ouija), and sometimes zliz all playing on different servers.

I'm on rage though around lvl17. I'm so slow because I fart around traveling to dumbass zones.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I can't remember if I posted this here so, if so, sorry for the repeat.

I just bought a raid-copy cleric and warrior over the weekend during the special, and I wanted to know if anybody would like to play the duo with me. I am poor at 2-boxing and utterly hopeless at anything beyond that, but I want to level these chaps up together and would enjoy the company. The characters have hundreds and hundreds of bits of amazing gear, but are still level 1. It is on Test, so it is free and easy. If that sounds fun to anyone, let me know - I think that it would make for a good summer diversion.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

Wait, what?!

That guild you are talking about was Arirang, they were HK/Chinese, didnt get banned but caused super drama. It was great.

Rallos Zek the Warlord is the final raid for elemental access in PoP, SOE decided to try to make him non zergable so if anyone outside of the original raid that aggros him gets on his hate list he instantly kicks them to PoSky, right in front of Spiroc Lord, who death touches them before they even finish loading.

This pretty much defines the greatness and awfulness of SOE.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
RZTW

one of those targets that some good barding and enchanting can make all the difference

Our first kill we got two bows which was perfect since we only had two wars

Everquest

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Moop Moop posted:

I probably would if I could actually get onto the server ever

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Instancing for higher zones goes in tomorrow And looks like a second server will be opened as well. As long as there is an upfront timeframe on merging I'll probably reroll.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
I plan on going to Ragefire as soon as I can...y'know...log in.

Debating between Warrior, Monk and .. *cough* Mage. Not boxing, because I refuse to give Daybreak the money for more than one account. That, and I wouldn't know how to begin :D

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Moop Moop posted:

Serverwide mage chat is probably the worst thing that has happened to me recently.

/join serverwide.gchat:fygm

/autojoin serverwide.gchat:fygm

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I played a monk back on Live in '99 and I don't know if I can wait for Kunark to come out and entirely OP the class all over again (assuming they don't balance and fix it from the get-go). Everything I remember from my time spent back then tells me to go chanter. Too many nights spent unloved and ungrouped until Kunark and Velious came out and broke the poo poo out of my monk, I don't wanna go through that again.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Slim Killington posted:

I played a monk back on Live in '99 and I don't know if I can wait for Kunark to come out and entirely OP the class all over again (assuming they don't balance and fix it from the get-go). Everything I remember from my time spent back then tells me to go chanter. Too many nights spent unloved and ungrouped until Kunark and Velious came out and broke the poo poo out of my monk, I don't wanna go through that again.

Well you're in luck! Fist damage is currently scaled to live numbers for monks can do some silly numbers right now, and it only gets better when you get your epic.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Well since I can't get into Ragefire, I've got my old 85 monk to play around on... but I'm entirely at a loss for what to do. Game's changed quite a bit. Based on the OP I guess I should try to group in Thule zones? My gear is probably too poo poo to keep up by now. Might switch over to the goon server.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Slim Killington posted:

Ragefire has modern rest mechanics so enchanters are much less valuable during the leveling process, but they will still have some roles and they will still be needed for raids, obvs.

But people generally won't be dependent on clarity because you can wait 30 seconds and gain dramatically increased HP/MP recovery, but it won't be like a true 1999 experience where clarity and mana song are worth killing over.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

SpaceGoku posted:

But people generally won't be dependent on clarity because you can wait 30 seconds and gain dramatically increased HP/MP recovery, but it won't be like a true 1999 experience where clarity and mana song are worth killing over.

Welp, gently caress that, DPS it is.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

SpaceGoku posted:

Ragefire has modern rest mechanics so enchanters are much less valuable during the leveling process, but they will still have some roles and they will still be needed for raids, obvs.

The icons are there, but the OOC regen isn't actually working on Ragefire.

Lockjaw is opening this weekend with the same ruleset as Ragefire. No word on merges or transfers, but the second server historically has the lower population so I'll be there.

Slim Killington posted:

Welp, gently caress that, DPS it is.

Good call. Enchanters have to be the most boring class to play now unless you plan to entirely solo.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
the :qq: people have going on for multiboxers is just pure gold.

Like they forget what the last 15 years have been like.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

It does, thank you. Holy loving poo poo I assume the internet back then was on average a whole lot more polite because with today's gamers that kind of design would be a total nightmare. I don't look down on it though since it was like 15 years ago or whatever and Everquest did a lot of things for the first time. I'm just happy that my brief experience with the game ended on orc hill in the wood elf forest.

It will make watching those streams a bit more interesting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Our server did nothing of the sort. Everything was first-to-kill, and we pretty much kept a tight lid on everything. There may have been a list that somebody decided to post online because they wanted very much for everyone to obey it, but that poo poo didn't happen.

Hell, I remember guilds trying to contest poo poo from us and starting this giant bitchfest that led to us swooping into their zones for months and deleting items we already had just to slap them in the face. poo poo was the wild west for a while there.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 27, 2015