Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Donna possibly being the boss of Mutiny and whipping Cameron into shape is one of the few reasons why I'm going to attempt to live watch HCF this season. Bishe really did a great job with the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

British show on Netflix called Residue is wild. Haven't watched much yet but it's stylish as hell, completely mental, and really ominous. Iwan Rheon stars. Most of it so far is incredibly bleak and thoughtful, with occasional scenes of hilarious or loving crazy poo poo.

Watched the first part. I'm all in. Loved it. It dragged a bit, but it's so well shot i didn't care.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been meaning to ask about that, as I've been seeing it listed on Netflix the last couple of times I checked.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'll defend to the death that Matrix:reloaded is good. The highway scene is one of the best movie car chases ever. Revolutions on the other hand...

There is a lot of bad talking scenes in that movie, and also CGI fight scenes have never, and will never, be even a little bit good. So gently caress that movie.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

pentyne posted:

The show definitely comes off as a passion project for Lee Pace. He loving kills every scene he is in and carries the show on his back.

Actually he deserves a Razzie for it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

That moment aside, the latest episode was right up there with the quality of S1

I skipped the second season of Orphan Black. Thinking of getting back on the horse again for the third season. Bad idea? If not, curious to know what I missed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

I skipped the second season of Orphan Black. Thinking of getting back on the horse again for the third season. Bad idea? If not, curious to know what I missed.

A VERY complicated main plot that I personally was able to forgive under the "roll with it" principle, though others couldn't. But it's worth it to see Allison and Donnie get into shenanigans; in particular, Donnie quitting his job in season 2 was one of the funniest scenes of that year.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Vanderdeath posted:

Donna possibly being the boss of Mutiny and whipping Cameron into shape is one of the few reasons why I'm going to attempt to live watch HCF this season. Bishe really did a great job with the character.
Cameron was only tolerable when she was around Boz. Otherwise I feel like Bishe had to carry most of the show later when she was more of a factor (as much as I like the other two dudes). Hopefully they figured some stuff out, but Cameron being unwatchable for most of the first season didn't help.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dexter is good imho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2xxizpHuoo

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I as well liked that 2 season wonder that was Dexter.

I'm sure this game has been played before, but has anything squandered the goodwill it built up quite as much as Dexter did? I revisited the first few episodes again the other day and it's almost like a different show (For starters they don't pretend like Dexter is the friendliest of all the serial killers out there). Michael C Hall is so captivating that I was almost suckered back in.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You mean the four season wonder.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

OTOH the Wachowskis have made one good movie ever, so I'm managing expectations.

Anyone who hates Speed Racer is a person I don't need to know.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

That was the wachowskis? I had no idea.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

raditts posted:

Tried watching it on a come down and I just... No. It almost broke me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

raditts posted:

Totally underrated movie.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Kurtofan posted:

You mean the four season wonder.

Correct. That and the first 5 minutes of S5 are all one ought to watch of Dexter. You'll walk away thinking it was brilliant.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I dunno, the tail end of s2/s3 were rough enough that not even the rave reviews of Lithgow's performance could get me back.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Correct. That and the first 5 minutes of S5 are all one ought to watch of Dexter. You'll walk away thinking it was brilliant.

I don't think you need the first 5 minutes. The end of season 4 would be the perfect place to stop. You get Dexter reaping consequences for his actions, his son being "reborn" in blood the same way he was, and you would be left to ponder the implications of both. It's perfect.

And then the show kept going.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

The show definitely picked up towards the end of Season 1 but if the promos are to be believed, Season 2 is going to have a lot more of Cameron and she's the worst of the leading trio. At least Not Wozniak's mental breakdowns made him interesting instead of Cameron being a ~*rebel visionary*~ that doesn't play by the rules and is totally in your face. She may also have access to a time machine.

Every other character in the show is more nuanced than her and I hope they give her some sort of depth this season since that character is the albatross around the show's neck, in my opinion.

I mostly agree with this and it sucks because the actress is really fantastic and if they just dial it back a LITTLE BIT it would be fine.

Like, I get that she's there to remind stupid people THIS IS THE 80S. 99 LUFTBALOONS. PUNK ROCK. DISCO DUCK. But by the end of the season I was like "do we really need YET ANOTHER montage of her being frustrated set to an iconic song???"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thrawn527 posted:

I don't think you need the first 5 minutes. The end of season 4 would be the perfect place to stop. You get Dexter reaping consequences for his actions, his son being "reborn" in blood the same way he was, and you would be left to ponder the implications of both. It's perfect.

But he is a lumberjack and that's okay. He sleeps all night and works all day!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

I remember when it came out there were people having a whinge about how they didn't go "dark and edgy" with it - probably because The Dark Knight was the big movie the same year - I have very little idea of why someone would want a grim 'n' gritty version of Speed Racer.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Tried watching it on a come down and I just... No. It almost broke me.

Oh no. Oh that is not a movie you watch when you're coming down.

While you're high? Sure, that's one way to do it. Coming down? gently caress that.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember when it came out there were people having a whinge about how they didn't go "dark and edgy" with it - probably because The Dark Knight was the big movie the same year - I have very little idea of why someone would want a grim 'n' gritty version of Speed Racer.

Hell, we are still living in the shadow of The Dark Knight when it comes to the tone of various reboots. Maybe, just maybe, Flash and Supergirl will convince people that grimdark, if it ever was a good idea, is a thing whose time has come and gone.

Then I see the trailer for Dawn of Justice and nope, Warner Bros. hasn't quite gotten it out of their system yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Oh no. Oh that is not a movie you watch when you're coming down.

While you're high? Sure, that's one way to do it. Coming down? gently caress that.

I tried to watch the full VHS of Emergency Broadcast Network at the tail end of a 5-MeO-DiPT trip and literally could not sleep for the next 72 hours. I went mildly insane because I thought I'd actually never sleep again. I went to work, hung out with my girlfriend, even did my radio show, but the whole time I was on this strange autopilot. It was a very calm sort of insanity, I have to say.

e: yes, I know this reads like a parody of a post I would make including made-up words, shut up

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kaynorr posted:

Hell, we are still living in the shadow of The Dark Knight when it comes to the tone of various reboots. Maybe, just maybe, Flash and Supergirl will convince people that grimdark, if it ever was a good idea, is a thing whose time has come and gone.

Then I see the trailer for Dawn of Justice and nope, Warner Bros. hasn't quite gotten it out of their system yet.

i bet youre really stupid

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer" might be the best episode of television all year.

e: in contrast and appropros of nothing, two new episodes of Tommy Wiseau's "The Neighbors" just showed up on Hulu

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

precision posted:

e: in contrast and appropros of nothing, two new episodes of Tommy Wiseau's "The Neighbors" just showed up on Hulu

oh god no

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I could have sworn I heard somewhere that NBC was putting extended cuts of Aquarius up on the internet that were more "cable-friendly" and less "network-friendly." Did I make that up? Every search I've done has told me about how NBC is putting up all episodes for streaming, Netflix-style, after the premiere airs. But nothing about different/extended cuts.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 27, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I read that too, but it was here and I don't think it had a link.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I could have sworn I heard somewhere that NBC was putting extended cuts of Aquarius up on the internet that were more "cable-friendly" and less "network-friendly." Did I make that up? Every search I've done has told me about how NBC is putting up all episodes for streaming, Netflix-style, after the premiere airs. But nothing about different/extended cuts.

The Hollywood Reporter said it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-releasing-complete-aquarius-season-792478

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Tonight, The Institute for Women's Policy Research had its website crash due to a sudden flood of visitors. Guess who was responsible?

It was Amy Schumer.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I'm halfway through watching Wonder Showzen for the second time, and as the years go by it's somehow become even more unbelievable that it ever, ever got on TV. It's the angriest comedy I've ever seen.

Here's a pretty good history of the show (linked page basically SFW, but hosted on the very NSFW Rotten.com -- because of course it is).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Max22 posted:

I'm halfway through watching Wonder Showzen for the second time, and as the years go by it's somehow become even more unbelievable that it ever, ever got on TV. It's the angriest comedy I've ever seen.

Here's a pretty good history of the show (linked page basically SFW, but hosted on the very NSFW Rotten.com -- because of course it is).

Goddamn, I loved that show. It's a miracle it lasted as long as it did. I'll watch whatever the hell PFFR puts out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgyFsi77iXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMGzoxMoGkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYoD-T5EDKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR4KJZHOIOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

thrawn527 posted:

I love the dark comedy of Dexter wearing Mickey Mouse ears while preparing to tell his family that his wife/their mother is dead. It's the last moment of the show I even liked which is why I included it. Your points are entirely valid though.

precision posted:

"12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer" might be the best episode of television all year.
Correct.

DivisionPost posted:

Tonight, The Institute for Women's Policy Research had its website crash due to a sudden flood of visitors. Guess who was responsible?
Bless that woman. :allears:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Ok, finally got around to watching the first episode of Wayward Pines. Hmmr, no.
I don't know, it's a bunch of different ideas from different shows, but it didn't really captivate me. Also that psychiatrist guy looks like he really was in Twin Peaks. Nice to see Jennifer Lewis or what's her name.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She got funny looking.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Max22 posted:

Its pretty bizarre how PFFR has been consistently given a blank check to do whatever they want. First for MTV and now for Adult Swim. Like the latest season finale for The Heart, She Holler was a TV set up in the chapel set playing a Jimmy Carter speech. They did some weird stuff with the townsfolk watching but there wasn't any other dialog in the episode.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Megan Ganz has a new pilot at FX. You may remember that she was one of Dan Harmon's top lieutenants in the Community writer's room during seasons 2 & 3 -- she wrote "Cooperative Calligraphy," "Basic Lupine Urology," and both "Documentary Filmmaking" episodes.

Anyway, Cassius & Clay is an animated post-apocalyptic action-comedy that she's co-writing with Adam Reed for FX. Kaitlin Olson, Lake Bell, and Susan Sarandon star. Guest voices for the pilot include JB Smoove, Jeffrey Tambor, Robert Patrick, Stephen Root, Katy Mixon, and of course Kevin Michael Richardson. More info here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/archer-producers-set-fx-animated-798017

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Megan Ganz also wrote on season 4 of Community, and one of her episodes included the infamous line "We're making paintball cool again!"

That said, I am excited to hear Brickleberry star Kaitlin Olson is getting more voice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Megan Ganz once start crying on the floor of her shower just because her boss was mean to her?

(trying to post like joe. it feels unpleasant)

• Locked thread