Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
actually kind of significant

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/china-set-to-launch-several-amateur-radio-satellites-this-summer

six birds all with linear u/v transponders. oh and look, i now have computer-controllable radios for uplink and downlink, so I dont have to gently caress around with tuning.

(incidentally i caught a good HO-68 pass over the weekend and using the CW beacon, ballparked doppler shift at 25-30 hz/second)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
oh man this old nokia is bringing back memories. lol @ the 'all deployment will now happen through version control' email i just read. gently caress, that place was a hellhole. just factory reset the sumbitch cause it doesn't like my wifi anymore, guess i changed the password

how many new leo birds is that anyway? 8-9 right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah theres a good handful. the past few years have been lovely especially once AO-51 poo poo the bed (it was LOUD) and i was losing hope. but things have turned aroudn in amsat land more in the past 18 months than i could have imagined, and its only going to accelerate

now would be a good time to get set up with 2/70 all-mode and start getting swift with everything. a 706mkiig or 857 (really even an 817) would be an excellent start, though two radios is strongly suggested for satellite work

i'd wager that especially given the impending onset of the decline of our so-weak-and-lovely-it's-going-in-record-books solar cycle, vhf/uhf activity is going to start jumping up. you can bomb out psk31 or jt65 a pretty good distance with 100 watts of 2 meter ssb, and more consistently than on HF

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
Okay, the advice was to :justpost:, so here goes:

Since I recently earned my tech license, but am not intimately acquainted with the ins and outs of circuits, how much of my time is worth dedicating to the design/repair of radio circuits at this point? I'm not very intimately acquainted with electronic circuitry, and despite having crashed and burned on the General test, sailed past the Tech exam easily. General showed a bit more practice than theory; would the easiest way to go about learning this being picking up a few radio/anntenna kits and futzing around with them? I'm more of the hands-on learning type, so it makes sense to me.

(Post is not reply)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

LieutenantFrost posted:

Okay, the advice was to :justpost:, so here goes:

Since I recently earned my tech license, but am not intimately acquainted with the ins and outs of circuits, how much of my time is worth dedicating to the design/repair of radio circuits at this point? I'm not very intimately acquainted with electronic circuitry, and despite having crashed and burned on the General test, sailed past the Tech exam easily. General showed a bit more practice than theory; would the easiest way to go about learning this being picking up a few radio/anntenna kits and futzing around with them? I'm more of the hands-on learning type, so it makes sense to me.

(Post is not reply)

don't stress the electronics too much. The stuff general teaches on top of tech is important to learn , though, if you found it a stumbling block.

it's not just important to build circuits and such, but just to even use power properly without doing everything legos style brand new kit parts together. you really want to know what ohms law means and how to account for current. And how frequencies vary against wavelength.

but really you don't need to jump into any sort of circuit building off the bat, just have fun - get a radio, budget $180 for a radio and antenna to get started is my opinion.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

LieutenantFrost posted:

(Post is not reply)

it sure isn't. see if you can land this one in the correct thread on your 3rd attempt

e: I'm a loving idiot. disregard. I'll leave my idiocy here for posterity though

awful displayed the thread starting with the post I replied to and I thought it was another new thread

shitface fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 27, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
seriously tho if you just got your tech, 'grats and my initial layout would be something like:

$150 - http://universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0060.html
$25 - http://www.smileyantenna.com/collections/dual-band/products/270a-dual-band

that combo was my first 'tech level' intro rig and i still use that same combo to-date and it's an awesome pair

// do not please please do not get a baofung fake china radio, you deserve to learn with a real radio and there is a difference //

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009

Sniep posted:

seriously tho if you just got your tech, 'grats and my initial layout would be something like:

$150 - http://universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0060.html
$25 - http://www.smileyantenna.com/collections/dual-band/products/270a-dual-band

that combo was my first 'tech level' intro rig and i still use that same combo to-date and it's an awesome pair

// do not please please do not get a baofung fake china radio, you deserve to learn with a real radio and there is a difference //

Thanks, Sniep.

Actually currently working with babby's first setup of a Baofeng (Pofung now, apparently?) BF-F8HP with a Nagoya 15.6" whip attached instead of the stock antenna. Basically, I'm at the point where I want to listen before I ignorantly step into the land of the natives and get shredded. Setting up this thing is proving to be interesting, but the scanner I bought (BCD396-XT) is proving to be a bit more to bite off than I can chew.

shitface posted:

it sure isn't. see if you can land this one in the correct thread on your 3rd attempt

e: I'm a loving idiot. disregard. I'll leave my idiocy here for posterity though

awful displayed the thread starting with the post I replied to and I thought it was another new thread

NBD. My dumbass should have paused to decipher what the button said before I clicked it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are you programming the scanner with a computer please tell me yes

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i just have this to say...

you can't "have fun tuning around" on a baofeng..

you can tune to a frequency, and you can drive power to an antenna, but you cannot have a fast back and forth comm nor can you just spin the dial, it's impossible given the speed of the SDR radio tuner.

it's two entirely separate techs

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
Does Freescan count y/n

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah freescan's okay.

i have like 3800 channels in my 396 so if you have q's just let me know

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009

Sniep posted:

i just have this to say...

you can't "have fun tuning around" on a baofeng..

you can tune to a frequency, and you can drive power to an antenna, but you cannot have a fast back and forth comm nor can you just spin the dial, it's impossible given the speed of the SDR radio tuner.

it's two entirely separate techs

Having paged through the various documentation sources, I have no illusions about the capabilities of the Baofeng

'tis why I got the Bearcat in the first place

Scanners be scannin'

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i'm talking entirely about hands-on operation tuning by spinning the dial and just looking for poo poo, and generally USING the radio.

the SDR type cheap ones from china have the functional characteristics which make it a "radio" but it's not a true ham radio in the sense that any ham used to radio would enjoy using it, or even find it suitable

the truest analogy would be, it's a ham radio emulator, running in software, that controls some parts of a radio

ditch the emulator, they are not nearly as good as a SNESX or whatever is on a pc at emulating the real thing, if you follow the analogy

it's really worth it!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
in fact that's a real good analogy.

from now on i'm referring to china radios as "ham radio emulators"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

i'm talking entirely about hands-on operation tuning by spinning the dial and just looking for poo poo, and generally USING the radio.

fwiw i enjoy firing up gqrx with my $20 rtl-sdr stick and just looking for weird columns on the waterfall

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Jonny 290 posted:

its making GBS threads all over the main denver packet freq, 145.05
I think im going to go ahead and spend $300 on the rigol whatever, rather than trying to slum it with a used Tek.
just gonna be a bit later on.

do it

it's the rigol ds1054z (50 mhz) you want, you can unlock it "into" a ds1104z (100 mhz) and also add all the options (advanced trigger, serial decoding, ...)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
holy poo poo

http://youarelisteningtolosangeles.com/

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jonny 290 posted:

though two radios is strongly suggested for satellite work

i was thinking about this the other day, you only need 1 for transmit right, the other is rx only? so would a 857 and an rtl-sdr be a good combo?

assuming you're in a situation where you can use rtlsdr and a computer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rtlsdr will be deafened by TX from the other band transmitter. they have like, no filtering.

my 271 is SPECIFICALLY filtered for only 143-149 mhz, and even it gets about 10 db of desensitization when I transmit on 70cm.

speaking of which

a very nice redditor sent me a pristine 50 foot coil of RG-62 coax (93 ohm impedance). This is the last key for building egg beaters!

http://wb5rmg.somenet.net/k5oe/Eggbeater_2.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ham radio country music bitchin about the wife

not even joking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSj6oxTt-Qg

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i found out today that california has a number of special interest plates that can't be ordered online; one needs to provide documentation and proof of entitlement.

here is the list of plates for which the state of california demands that you prove your poo poo:

Amateur Radio, Antique Motorcycle, Congressional Medal of Honor, Gold Star Family, Historical Vehicle, Honorary Consul, Horseless Carriage, Legion of Valor, Pearl Harbor Survivor, Purple Heart Recipient, and Press Photographer License Plates

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121461115214

is this optocoupler board a thing that would be useful? i can't find the page i was reading earlier that mentioned these

also i wasted a day loving around w/ that allstar live cd thing thinking i could set up my own extensions and poo poo but apparently its all phoning home and shti so gently caress that ill roll my own. im not rly a linux guy tho so that will be a learning experience too. you could say i dabble a little

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 28, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I bought a thing

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I thought I didn't have a good soldering iron, but I opened up a Pelican case and forgot I'd put this in there:

Weller Pyropen posted:

Manually ignited butane gas operated, soldering iron
with solder, hot blow and blow torch functions. The tool
has a rapid heat up time and duration of operation from
one filling of approx. 3 hours. It is temperature variable
between 350°C to 500°C when used as a soldering iron
and up to 650°C when used as a hot air blower and
1300°C when used as a blow torch.

Does the hot air blower function basically mean this thing is a portable rework tool as well as a soldering iron? I can't use it yet since I don't have a fuel refill and am having trouble finding a manual, but this would save me a lot of money.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
turns out it was some stuff in iax.conf. i got a softphone to register but then changed a thing and couldn't get it to work again. think i might blow it all away and start from scratch

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the contents of the other pelican case :aaaaa:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

atomicthumbs posted:

I thought I didn't have a good soldering iron, but I opened up a Pelican case and forgot I'd put this in there:

Does the hot air blower function basically mean this thing is a portable rework tool as well as a soldering iron? I can't use it yet since I don't have a fuel refill and am having trouble finding a manual, but this would save me a lot of money.

My pyropen runs off standard lighter butane, but ic rework with basically a blowtorch is not recommended since you'll melt the ic packages. If you manage to not melt them you still risk heating too quickly which will cause moisture in the package to boil, potentially breaking the ic in weird ways

I've used a temperature controlled blower to reflow solder and rework so it can be done but it's risky

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

in 6 hours I'll be a licensed ham

or not

but probably

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

longview posted:

My pyropen runs off standard lighter butane, but ic rework with basically a blowtorch is not recommended since you'll melt the ic packages. If you manage to not melt them you still risk heating too quickly which will cause moisture in the package to boil, potentially breaking the ic in weird ways

I've used a temperature controlled blower to reflow solder and rework so it can be done but it's risky

it's not really a blowtorch tho? it's got a blowtorch attachment but the thing uses catalysis to heat the soldering tip or hot air.

what's the normal air temp doing hot air rework?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

atomicthumbs posted:

it's not really a blowtorch tho? it's got a blowtorch attachment but the thing uses catalysis to heat the soldering tip or hot air.

what's the normal air temp doing hot air rework?

Professional rework is done with a temperature ramp over several minutes based on temperature sensor feedback, typically up to 250-300 Celsius, for reflow soldering prototypes i used 350-400 directly with a low flow rate

The weller will probably work, but you still risk overheating or moisture destruction with it, like most solutions

manero
Jan 30, 2006

2m is wide open up here in MN/WI/IA today... I just keyed up a repeater 170mi away.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

manero posted:

2m is wide open up here in MN/WI/IA today... I just keyed up a repeater 170mi away.

holy poo poo you aren't kiddin

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

bookmark it for all your VHF band opening needs

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Make sure you zoom in and out caues its a little janky imo:

note the missing blob over the louisiana bootheel and the lil cluster over AR/TN/MS that isn't in the zoomed out pic

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
the coolest use of APRS i've seen tho

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, that map pretty much confirms the direction I was able to hit the repeater. Saint Paul, MN to Tomahawk, WI.

Edit:

It would be cool if the APRS site could overlay frontal boundaries:

manero fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 28, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
from last night on the zombie net

not bad for a fully battery powered luggable station (FT-7900R into a diamond X50)

(meter is on the high power band not the low one obv)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

from last night on the zombie net

coworkers wondering why i'm crying a little bit lmfaooooooooooooo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OPSEC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU