Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm still replaying Witcher 2 to get a save for 3, but I figured I'd check in because this thread made @Goons_TXT. Good job neocon idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Manatee Cannon posted:

She has good moments but all in all, gently caress Triss.

From a book perspective you're right, but in the games she comes off completely differently and genuinely cares about Geralt and goes through so much poo poo in all the games to help him out.

you're still wrong :colbert:

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Macaluso posted:

I swear sometimes this game slips rather important stuff past me that comes up later that I didn't even notice or realize?

Make sure to read the quest log as well as the character profiles / bestiary for anyone relevant to the quest. A lot of stuff that is implied through dialog (and easily missed) is spelled out in both of these, and they're usually pretty well-written to boot

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Brinner posted:

From a book perspective you're right, but in the games she comes off completely differently and genuinely cares about Geralt and goes through so much poo poo in all the games to help him out.

you're still wrong :colbert:

Except she doesn't in the games and this is the only one of the three thus far where you might be right

edit: though she does totally get drunk and try to sleep with you during a mission where someone's life is on the line so there's that

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 27, 2015

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except she doesn't in the games and this is the only one of the three thus far where you might be right

edit: though she does totally get drunk and try to sleep with you during a mission where someone's life is on the line so there's that

You opinions are still wrong :colbert:

Also drat I really think you are holding the fact that she wants to gently caress Geralt a little too much against her. Also as to your spoiler well she was drunk.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What vendors can I got to to get a decent fee for valuable junk items? I've got all of these gold rings and stuff and no one offers me poo poo for them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

What vendors can I got to to get a decent fee for valuable junk items? I've got all of these gold rings and stuff and no one offers me poo poo for them.
Mod your game because the exchange rate in the first two Witchers was similarly awful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SpRahl posted:

You opinions are still wrong :colbert:

Also drat I really think you are holding the fact that she wants to gently caress Geralt a little too much against her. Also as to your spoiler well she was drunk.

She tells you not to get drunk and then does it anyway. I'm not holding it against her more than she deserves because it's the majority of her characterization.

You can like her if you like but I'm not lying to you about what she does or why. This is how she is written.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

el oso posted:

At what point do you get armor that looks halfway decent? I'm about 30 hours in and everything makes me look more like a clown than a witcher.

The set armors are all pretty good looking. As you go higher level they get more and more fancy. The superior cat set is great looking.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
So I'm in Novigrad following the main quest (just met up with Zoltan) but man there are a lot of question marks left in Velen... is the story going to take me back there any? Or should I just go check them out on my own anyway? I don't mind doing side quests and stuff, I'm just curious about how the main storyline progresses. Seems like a lot of territory not covered if the main questline doesn't route you back through there at some point.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You've never actually seen the Ursine set, have you

Or any of the Witcher sets even because not a one looks like that

Im wearing the full masterwork ursine armor. It's got a lot of rust on the chain mail portions

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Mod your game because the exchange rate in the first two Witchers was similarly awful.

drat really? The flavor text says "sell for a large sum of money" but they offer between 1 and 30 coin for all of this blue and gold junk I'm carrying. That sucks.

Just realized enemies can hit each other. Dodged and attack and an axe dude missed and beheaded his own guy :black101:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

This thread is full of neocons.

Indeed. For all the people who think Nilfgaard isn't so bad, there's a big difference between preferring the culture or social system of a certain country and thinking that it's at all acceptable, or even remotely possible for that country to impose its system on other countries by conquest. I live in East Asia. I greatly prefer the western social system to the Asian system. I think Asian countries cling to some political and social conventions that are very harmful both to the individuals living here and to the success of the country as a whole. If they accepted certain aspects of western culture (which I would argue are not in fact, western, at all, so much as simply modern), everyone would be a lot happier. However much I dislike the entrenched and commonly accepted racism, classism and misogyny here, I hardly think that the solution is for the US to invade and conquer all of Asia! Nor was the solution, ever, at any point in history, for western powers to invade and conquer countries in the middle east however much we may disapprove of some aspects of their culture.

If Nilfgaard won the war and conquered the north, do you really think things would get better? The north would still follow the same conventions it always has and the Nilfgaardians would torture, oppress and kill them for it. You can see many examples in the game of morally repugnant things Nilfgaard does (executing all prisoners of war, for example) that they fully intend to impose on their conquered territories even when those actions fly in the face of the northern value system.

I would also argue that a lot of the people saying they'd rather live in Nilfgaard, in fact, probably would not. Someone made a good post the other day about the difference between ethics in the northern kingdoms and Nilfgaard. In the north, an action is justified by whether or not its results are considered good. In Nilfgaard, an action is justified by whether or not it fits in with the established social order. Most English speaking countries fall heavily into the northern moral system. Living in a country in which the morality of your actions is not determined by their results, but rather by your personal social status sucks pretty badly if you're not of a high status.

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, first off to the guy who said that thing about the East not getting on as well without Fuedalism, have you never goddamn heard of the T'ang dynasty? Most of what you would call markers for Fuedalism are present there, simply with differing ways of achieving power and mixed in with other stuff.

I remember and interesting discussion I had with a professor of history at Fudan University (a top-tier university in China) in which he gave the opinion that one of the major reasons for the west's relative success compared to China was the difference in the feudal system. In China, vassals merely controlled land by virtue of being given the authority by the emperor. The emperor owned all the land. What's more, in concept, at least, the power of the vassals was also simply borrowed from the emperor. The system was completely top down and power radiated out from the throne. In the west, on the other hand, the land was owned and controlled by the vassal, who had it by his personal right, though he was obliged to use it to support his lord. He claimed this fundamental difference led to the rights of the individual being much easier to establish and defend in western Europe, which was a major basis for the enlightenment.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Macaluso posted:

I swear sometimes this game slips rather important stuff past me that comes up later that I didn't even notice or realize? Like for instance, I just finished the stuff for Dijkstra and apparently I knew the whole time who stole his gold?? Did I just completely miss this or did the game just not actually tell me that? I investigated the bomb stuff for him, looked in that little hideout, did the mission with Triss where she gets tortured (that was horrible) and then got a key from that dude's corpse after Triss kills him. I gave the key to Dijkstra and then the only options for dialogue I had were that I knew the whole time who stole his gold? This isn't the first time I've had to make dialogue choices based on things I somehow completely missed and I dunno how I keep missing them.

Not really sure how you missed that unless there's a way to do things out of sequence. Remember the quest where you had to go around talking to all of Dandelion's associates? You find out from Priscilla that Dandelion was last seen plotting a heist on Dijkstra's treasure, which is what leads you to Dijkstra's bathhouse in the first place. Maybe Dijkstra's alias (Sigi Reuben) confused you?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

This loving game. :allears:

I keep getting distracted by question marks and wandering off. From Velen to Novigrad and back again. I'm doing contracts, slicing up bandits, whatever... it just... gently caress. The game has insane amounts of content.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Varam posted:

Not really sure how you missed that unless there's a way to do things out of sequence. Remember the quest where you had to go around talking to all of Dandelion's associates? You find out from Priscilla that Dandelion was last seen plotting a heist on Dijkstra's treasure, which is what leads you to Dijkstra's bathhouse in the first place. Maybe Dijkstra's alias (Sigi Reuben) confused you?

Are those heists the same thing? It never occurred to me that the Dandelion heist and the heist that robbed Dijstra of his treasure were one in the same. I could've sworn one of the women says that Dandelion's heist failed?

There was a lot of information to take in with that, since you had to talk to like 6 women, I guess I just overlooked that

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gonkish posted:

This loving game. :allears:

I keep getting distracted by question marks and wandering off. From Velen to Novigrad and back again. I'm doing contracts, slicing up bandits, whatever... it just... gently caress. The game has insane amounts of content.

I haven't been super focused on completion of every single ?, but I have definitely been checking all noticeboards and riding past what look like settlements on the map that may or may not have a golden ! in them. I'm really enjoying the named creature mini boss fights. I also stopped just going "yep I'll take it" to every contract, and haggling up just a little better on the payday. It's been well worth it, no one has been annoyed with me yet.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Anyone know where the hell this supposed trader in midcopse with the nilfgardian 10 power archers is? hes never there and I'm trying to fill out my nilfgard deck.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
I beat the game and now I feel an empty void. When will The Witcher 4 be out?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Indeed. For all the people who think Nilfgaard isn't so bad, there's a big difference between preferring the culture or social system of a certain country and thinking that it's at all acceptable, or even remotely possible for that country to impose its system on other countries by conquest. I live in East Asia. I greatly prefer the western social system to the Asian system. I think Asian countries cling to some political and social conventions that are very harmful both to the individuals living here and to the success of the country as a whole. If they accepted certain aspects of western culture (which I would argue are not in fact, western, at all, so much as simply modern), everyone would be a lot happier. However much I dislike the entrenched and commonly accepted racism, classism and misogyny here, I hardly think that the solution is for the US to invade and conquer all of Asia! Nor was the solution, ever, at any point in history, for western powers to invade and conquer countries in the middle east however much we may disapprove of some aspects of their culture.

If Nilfgaard won the war and conquered the north, do you really think things would get better? The north would still follow the same conventions it always has and the Nilfgaardians would torture, oppress and kill them for it. You can see many examples in the game of morally repugnant things Nilfgaard does (executing all prisoners of war, for example) that they fully intend to impose on their conquered territories even when those actions fly in the face of the northern value system.

I would also argue that a lot of the people saying they'd rather live in Nilfgaard, in fact, probably would not. Someone made a good post the other day about the difference between ethics in the northern kingdoms and Nilfgaard. In the north, an action is justified by whether or not its results are considered good. In Nilfgaard, an action is justified by whether or not it fits in with the established social order. Most English speaking countries fall heavily into the northern moral system. Living in a country in which the morality of your actions is not determined by their results, but rather by your personal social status sucks pretty badly if you're not of a high status.

I remember and interesting discussion I had with a professor of history at Fudan University (a top-tier university in China) in which he gave the opinion that one of the major reasons for the west's relative success compared to China was the difference in the feudal system. In China, vassals merely controlled land by virtue of being given the authority by the emperor. The emperor owned all the land. What's more, in concept, at least, the power of the vassals was also simply borrowed from the emperor. The system was completely top down and power radiated out from the throne. In the west, on the other hand, the land was owned and controlled by the vassal, who had it by his personal right, though he was obliged to use it to support his lord. He claimed this fundamental difference led to the rights of the individual being much easier to establish and defend in western Europe, which was a major basis for the enlightenment.

Because having a system of laws that punish people for race based murder or rape instead of "oh you killed a dwarf/hosed a wench? Cool." Won't help? :wtc:

Also, this isn't really comparable to east/west or middle east/west. This is more roman/galls. Do you really think France and Britain were steps down from the Roman empire?

Also, that's not at all how Nilfgaard morality works? It's based on the actions, not the end result. Like if you report the existence of the elf bandits, good deed but bad outcome. Though if your a nord thats a good outcome because gently caress blacks elves.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Manatee Cannon posted:

She kinda sucks in both the books and the games tbh, I don't like her at all

Her whole thing is manipulating Geralt into being in a relationship with her. She does it in the books by drugging him so he'll sleep with her even though he's with Yennefer at the time (Yen and Triss being good friends at the time as well). She blows Yennefer off when she wants to save Ciri a few times, and then in the end when Geralt is impaled and lays dying and Yennefer and Ciri are trying to get to him she runs away. To her credit she comes back, but still. Then in the games she takes advantage of Geralt's amnesia to make him think she's the one he was in love with. The Witcher 2 is just her trying to seduce him for the entire game. She has good moments but all in all, gently caress Triss.

I wish I knew this before I told Triss the Rapist the three magic words in my game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Mr.Citrus posted:

Anyone know where the hell this supposed trader in midcopse with the nilfgardian 10 power archers is? hes never there and I'm trying to fill out my nilfgard deck.

Not sure if he's one of them, but some traders are locked in cages inside bandit camps. You'll have to save them first.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The rock troll quest cracked me up. The bird you paint at the end :lol:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Nasgate posted:

Because having a system of laws that punish people for race based murder or rape instead of "oh you killed a dwarf/hosed a wench? Cool." Won't help? :wtc:

Also, this isn't really comparable to east/west or middle east/west. This is more roman/galls. Do you really think France and Britain were steps down from the Roman empire?

Also, that's not at all how Nilfgaard morality works? It's based on the actions, not the end result. Like if you report the existence of the elf bandits, good deed but bad outcome. Though if your a nord thats a good outcome because gently caress blacks elves.

Aside from morality systems, currently Nilfgaard seems better for commoners because they have peace inside their borders and a relatively strong ruler. Those things can change.

War is much more fun, when you don't have to deal its immediate consequences.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

adhuin posted:

Not sure if he's one of them, but some traders are locked in cages inside bandit camps. You'll have to save them first.

Pretty sure i got all the people in distress freed. is he there a certain time of day?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Chinese academics are obsessed with cataloging every difference between Chinese and "western" civilization to discern where it all went wrong from the Chinese point of view. No matter what aspect of history you're looking at they're likely to come up with a similar thesis. It's like an itch they can't help scratching. The big thing IMO was that the Ming Dynasty government was a marathon of poorly-thought-out institutions and bad management, wedded to a neo-conservative reactionary philosophy, all right when the West stumbled into two continents' worth of free resources. Plus the whole science thing started firing on all cylinders around that time as well.

Getting back to Nilfgaard, isn't Emhyr on a mission to conquer the world because he believes the Time of Disdain is nigh and the continent needs to be politically united to have a chance of surviving?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In regards to Triss (book spoilers mostly below)

I am actually pretty sure in the books this isn't really a spoiler because it is revealed in like the first three chapters that Triss banged Geralt when he was in the middle of one of his usual fights with Yennifer so she felt she had an opening. She did use the love potion etc. so it was still pretty scummy. I feel why she stayed loyal to the lodge was mostly she was somewhat idealistic and honestly felt the lodge was doing the right thing and Yen was being crazy. In the games at least from two she seems more jaded, and the affection for Geralt seems genuine. Plus she was also nice to Ciri at least when at Kaer Morhen. I like Triss, but she was kinda a bitch in the books.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

grimcreaper posted:

Im wearing the full masterwork ursine armor. It's got a lot of rust on the chain mail portions
Where's the basic ursine diagram? I've got like 3 cat diagrams already but that greatcoat just looks so pretty.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Nasgate posted:

That doesn't answer my argument at all. People will still commit racial crimes in spite of Nilfgaard. It's not like after being conquered by a foreign power, the northerners are going to say "woops, we were wrong about all this racism thing the whole time, let's be accepting to the non-humans!" More likely, the situation for non-humans will just end up worse because they become a scapegoat for the fall of the north and are subject to violence that Nilfgaard couldn't control even if they wanted to without executing every peasant they come across. I think history has proven repeatedly that conquest is not a good way to make people in another country accept your moral sentiments.

I'm not saying Nilfgaard is east and northern kingdoms are west. What I'm saying is just because you think the north sucks compared to Nilfgaard, doesn't mean Nilfgaard is justified in an incredibly bloody conquest of the north. Even completely disregarding the costs of the war, the effect would not be that the situation in the north improves. Similarly, I strongly disagree with commonly held values in the middle east and Asia. But that doesn't mean that I think western countries should lead an army in and conquer them. When they do, I think it's the invaders who are the bad guys, even if I generally prefer their cultural model.

A lot of people seem to be saying "well, too bad about the war and countless thousands dead and all, but things will be better with Nilfgaard in control", but I don't think it's likely that things will at all. The crazy people in charge will be gone, sure, but the majority of people supported the witch hunts and pogroms and will still do so. And a huge, spread out empire won't likely have the ability or the will to control the violence, which will almost certainly be even worse than before as people look for scapegoats.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like the combat in this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rx3mnLFM6Y&t=146s

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Macaluso posted:

I swear sometimes this game slips rather important stuff past me that comes up later that I didn't even notice or realize? Like for instance, I just finished the stuff for Dijkstra and apparently I knew the whole time who stole his gold?? Did I just completely miss this or did the game just not actually tell me that? I investigated the bomb stuff for him, looked in that little hideout, did the mission with Triss where she gets tortured (that was horrible) and then got a key from that dude's corpse after Triss kills him. I gave the key to Dijkstra and then the only options for dialogue I had were that I knew the whole time who stole his gold? This isn't the first time I've had to make dialogue choices based on things I somehow completely missed and I dunno how I keep missing them.

It was Dandelion.

I don't think they ever outright say it, but you know he was doing a heist and I think you find plenty of evidence indicating it was him. And Dandelion may be an idiot but you spend a lot of time saving him so it would be rude to then immediately turn him over to Dijkstra.

Also he has to survive or else all the narration/bestiary/quest descriptions are a T I M E P A R A D O X.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So what's the deal with the Chernobog ruins? They say to slot them for added attack power, but both the lesser and greater rune I've found so far says it gives 0. There some way to power them up? I figured maybe it's per kill or something but after playing a few hours with the lesser rune equipped it still says it adds 0.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

I am actually pretty sure in the books this isn't really a spoiler because it is revealed in like the first three chapters that Triss banged Geralt when he was in the middle of one of his usual fights with Yennifer so she felt she had an opening. She did use the love potion etc. so it was still pretty scummy. I feel why she stayed loyal to the lodge was mostly she was somewhat idealistic and honestly felt the lodge was doing the right thing and Yen was being crazy. In the games at least from two she seems more jaded, and the affection for Geralt seems genuine. Plus she was also nice to Ciri at least when at Kaer Morhen. I like Triss, but she was kinda a bitch in the books.

I mostly spoilered that stuff in the first place because the guy spoilered her name to make it not obvious who he was referring to and thus not spoil something in this game, but may as well keep it up in case someone wants to read the books or play the old games.

She uses Ciri to toy with Geralt a bit and was only even going to try and sleep with him. Her being a member of the lodge kind of hurts her relationship with Ciri as well since their entire goal was exactly the same as Nilfgaard's: to kidnap her, plant her on a throne, and use her as breeding stock for a super baby. I've not been wholly fair to her or anything though; I've been focusing on the negative because I feel it outweighs the positive. But she does do some cool and good things. For instance she saves Geralt's life when he gets beaten up by Vilgefortz. Though on the other hand, that only happened because he got caught in the crossfire of her mage faction and Vilgefortz's vying for supremacy (and Ciri), and also the Lodge are the ones that kidnap Yennefer during this and frame her as a Nilfgaardian sympathizer in league with Vilgefortz. They then use that and Ciri both to try and blackmail her into joining their little club. I do agree that the games handle her better but she's still the same in regards to Geralt.

Like I said, liking her is valid and that's cool if you do but I just can't. If you don't dig into her character at all or read the books then she seems pretty cool but when you go deeper it gets pretty ugly. Which is actually good characterization, in my opinion, but I can appreciate a well written character without liking them personally.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 27, 2015

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
There are a lot of North American sounding woodpeckers in the mountains of Skellige.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
I killed the witcher Lambert wanted to kill. Then I looted grapeshot bombs. So now I have grapeshot and enhanced grapeshot?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

I only read the books like a year after the second game came out and it was kinda amazing to see how different the characters were in print. Triss was sleazy and Zoltan was such a minor character I'm not really sure what made the games promote him to your total bro.

Not that he isn't great mind you.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Macaluso posted:

Also I really want to go for Yen, because dang look at that fine honey. But man Triss was tough as hell taking that torture while I got information from that one dude

This almost slipped past me as well, but Geralt concludes his initial conversation with Djikstra about the robbery by musing out loud about what Dandelion has gotten himself into, which draws the connection between Dandelion planning to rob a powerful crime lord and a powerful crime lord being robbed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Caidin posted:

I only read the books like a year after the second game came out and it was kinda amazing to see how different the characters were in print. Triss was sleazy and Zoltan was such a minor character I'm not really sure what made the games promote him to your total bro.

Not that he isn't great mind you.

He kind of is at the end of the series. It's not like there were many characters Geralt was friendly with left to bring back anyway (and they brought in basically everyone at this point, even Djikstra is friendly towards you if you aren't a dick to him in the game). Dandelion was the only member of his crew that was left.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Man, it really bugs the hell out of me how Triss and Dandelion are apparently the only people in the whole world with flat American accents. Every single other person I've run into is either British or Scottish or whatever Nilfgaardian is supposed to be.

I mean, it's my accent and all, but it really grates on my ears in the middle of that context. I guess Geralt doesn't have an accent either but it doesn't stand out as much with his gravelly batman voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Manatee Cannon posted:

He kind of is at the end of the series. It's not like there were many characters Geralt was friendly with left to bring back anyway (and they brought in basically everyone at this point, even Djikstra is friendly towards you if you aren't a dick to him in the game). Dandelion was the only member of his crew that was left.

The books weren't fully translated into English last I checked, but the theme seemed to be that Geralt's pretty bad at making friends and not a whole lot better at keeping them alive.

EDIT: this raises another question as to how the gently caress Dandelion has managed to survive spending this much time woefully over his head with some of the most dangerous people on the planet.