Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Do you have any specific examples? Because that is just a bunch of hate boner stroking. It really isn't helpful for people who are trying to make a decision.

No. If you want to learn for yourself go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Okay since Kane doesn't seem to understand being a little bit calm - Gameforge is really bad. I know because I know people who've played before who I've met playing TERA the last few weeks, and they bitch a lot.

A. Its response to almost any complaints, be it game breaking bugs, hackers stealing your account, or bots selling gold is 'we don't care, deal with it yourself'.
B. Its servers are known for being very laggy, for like no reason. They also at least used to go down semi-frequently.
C. Used to be that every game they released would run 6 months to a year behind in patches from the main versions.
D. At one point they removed the ability to get top end gear in TERA from doing dungeons, and required you pay real money or obscene amounts of gold on the brokerage to purchase it from people who had payed real money. That has, according to Wikipedia, since been changed to not be as bad.

Edit: Oh, and E. Nearly everything it sells in its cashshop is 2-3x as expensive as the equivalent in the American cash shops.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So basically download the Steam version for the better TERA experience? Or is that one also the EU/Gameforge/Bad one?

Also, is the package gift with the EX-TRM mount a one-character thing or does it pop up for any subsequent characters?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://www.google.com/search?q=gameforge+horror+stories&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=gameforge+sucks

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
Steam is for NA only.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got my first character to level 25 today and I'm hooked.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Phosphia posted:

Steam is for NA only.

As I learned, this is very good. All I had to deal with on Steam was just the hefty download time. With Gameforge's installer, I kept getting RETRIEVING MANIFEST for whatever reason.

Now to wonder where to buy crafting recipes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

widespread posted:

As I learned, this is very good. All I had to deal with on Steam was just the hefty download time. With Gameforge's installer, I kept getting RETRIEVING MANIFEST for whatever reason.

Now to wonder where to buy crafting recipes.

Go to the vendor who sells the appropriate designs, who is right near the crafting station. Note that you basically only get new designs every 5 levels and crafting honestly isn't really worth it if you're new. You're way, way, way better off just selling the materials you harvest on the trading post.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

chumbler posted:

Go to the vendor who sells the appropriate designs, who is right near the crafting station. Note that you basically only get new designs every 5 levels and crafting honestly isn't really worth it if you're new. You're way, way, way better off just selling the materials you harvest on the trading post.

So basically, get at least a stack or so and hock 'em? Sounds fair. When's it start picking up? Around level 30s?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

brennon posted:

Speaking of content patches, does anyone here have forbidden Korea knowledge on how that Berserker tank/warrior buff patch went? Did warriors become godmode OP, was Berserker tank worth anything?

Berserker tanks are alright, not amazing. Their only real advantage over Warriors and Lancers is that they generate ridiculous amounts of aggro, but they don't get anything particularly useful like Lancer shouts.

Warriors, I don't know as much about, but apparently they're viable now so there's that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Reminder that this is the last week the double-exp boost and level-milestone rewards are in the game. Consider rolling classes you like and getting them to level 12 before Tuesday for a free ten-hour (gametime, not realtime) exp-doubler scroll.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For a dumb titty elf game this is pretty endearing :allears:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

For a dumb titty elf game this is pretty endearing :allears:

I just wish my priest gear wasn't just a series of nighties. Or do I need a waist armor piece as well?

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
So I got this game around when it came onto Steam and it's pretty fun. I've got a gunner at 51. I want to hit 65 before the double xp event ends to get special costume gunners get. But the event only lasts like another week, and I can usually only play a couple hours each evening at the best.

So what I'm asking is, what's the best way to get those last 14 levels in that amount of time? So far I've mostly been doing story quests and soloing dungeons when I get to them, and sometimes killing BAMs when they're around. I'm pretty sure that's not the best approach, however.

The other thing is, I like the tourism aspect and following the story quests; I don't want to miss out on doing a dungeon or poking around the world. If I get too high a level, will I miss out on dungeons, or can I always go back and solo them sometime later?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

So a friend of mine is trying to get me to download this. Are goons still in the guild/server listed in the original post or have things gone all splintery as usual?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

As mentioned several times over the last few pages, most goons are in either Dragon God Knight Kings, or No Fun Allowed (the latter is more active).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Okay, ah... the broker. What does the average sale price mean? Like, is it the average per unit or average per stack?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

As mentioned several times over the last few pages, most goons are in either Dragon God Knight Kings, or No Fun Allowed (the latter is more active).

Both are on the same server?

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

When you say more active, how many people are online usually?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

brennon posted:

When you say more active, how many people are online usually?

Like 30-40 during US prime.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

widespread posted:

Okay, ah... the broker. What does the average sale price mean? Like, is it the average per unit or average per stack?

Can't log in to make sure at the moment, but stuff on the broker can be sorted for low/high for total stack or single unit price if you keep clicking the sort thing.
I love finding items that can be bought from merchants but sell for more on the broker even if it only brings me a few hundred gold per turn.

Been lucky with a few LFG groups lately, too, and got the beat Fulminar and Nimistrix in 3 mins or less achievements. It's crazy how efficient some players are.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pro tip, if the person listing the item is online then their name will be white instead of gray, and you can bother them about their overpriced lame bullshit item in real time.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Bathysmal Rise is no loving joke, holy poo poo. On one level I know that the basic mechanics are no different than anything in WoW/FF14 (don't stand in this AOE, move over this buff to counter this other AOE, hit/don't hit this shield or you'll trigger a murdernuke) but drat if the combat system doesn't turn it into something else. Any other tank class is going to be a let-down after lancer because being rewarded for good play but simply being able to stand there and Not Take Damage is a hell of a carrot.

FF14 is still my bae and I still hope WoW can pull itself out of the mire it's currently stuck in, but seriously I'm so glad this game is free now.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If only the current endgame wasn't so light on content. BR is a fun dungeon, SC as well (I suppose, haven't actually seen it myself because no one will take you without +12 gear and 'skilled' on the character tab) but that's all there is.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Was I supposed to get a diamond in the mail for winning a PVP battleground? Easiest 10k gold.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Carecat posted:

Was I supposed to get a diamond in the mail for winning a PVP battleground? Easiest 10k gold.

Yeah, sometimes Battlegrounds will randomly go "WINNER GETS VARIOUS AWESOME THING" right after it starts, Thing ranging from Emeralds, Diamonds, and 10x Battleground credit rewards.

I just wish Kumasylum wasn't poo poo right now, I love slapping Feddies as a giant monster-babby, but apparently everyone else just quits the Kumas team right after the match starts 100% of the time so it's always a forced draw.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I get my Mystic up to 20 today and did the first dungeon. Do they ramp up quickly or something because I think I needed to heal people maybe 4 times the entire thing.

Or maybe bcause it was me and 4 gunners?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WarLocke posted:

So I get my Mystic up to 20 today and did the first dungeon. Do they ramp up quickly or something because I think I needed to heal people maybe 4 times the entire thing.

Or maybe bcause it was me and 4 gunners?

The amount of healing you do is wildly variable and depends on the level of the dungeon, the competence of your group, and the general group makeup. You definitely start doing more healing post-30, and you can spend entire fights just burping out heals if people aren't paying attention in the later dungeons.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
So, turns out En Masse block IPs from my region because we're all cyber-terrorists or something. Guess it's EU servers for me or spend my free time doing something productive.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So the Double XP thing is ending next week, right? Because I might try gunning or something not spellcast-y. Any suggestions coming off a priest?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Are reapers horrible monsters to face in PVP or is it just me :ohdear: They hit really hard and fly all over the place.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

widespread posted:

So the Double XP thing is ending next week, right? Because I might try gunning or something not spellcast-y. Any suggestions coming off a priest?
You can probably hit 65 with a Reaper pretty easily in a few days. They're like tiny anime Kratoses.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Pierson posted:

You can probably hit 65 with a Reaper pretty easily in a few days. They're like tiny anime Kratoses.

I don't think I could, seeing as Thursday to some of Sunday is taken up with non-computer and non-TERA things. So... I think I'll go for Reaper then, since I got the 10 Hour boost thing on my 14 Priest.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

So I started playing this for the first time last night and I was completely overwhelmed. Got to level 8 as a Slayer on Mount Tryanus.

Not sure how I feel about the class. Do you always start with 0 mp and it decays super quickly? It seemed like I started to regen mp right before I logged out, but that might have been because I was in town or buffed or something.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Lakedaimon posted:

So I started playing this for the first time last night and I was completely overwhelmed. Got to level 8 as a Slayer on Mount Tryanus.

Not sure how I feel about the class. Do you always start with 0 mp and it decays super quickly? It seemed like I started to regen mp right before I logged out, but that might have been because I was in town or buffed or something.

It's probably not optimal, but slotting mana regen crystals made life much easier for me with my Slayer and Berzerker.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

NEVERMIND ON THE REAPER. Needs a level 40 character, and is locked to the little girl class. And also the gunner is locked to High Elf/Castanics, sooo...

... oh sod it, I'll be the pew-pew lady. As if we didn't have enough of them anyway.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

Slayers (and berserkers) start at 0 mana and build it by using their basic combo attack or skills that generate a small amount. That mana pretty quickly decays once tou leave combat. What you saw with your mana regenning when you logged off was a quirk of how mana regen crystals interact with slayer/berserker mana mechanics. If you're out of combat and out of mana, the mana regen from the crystals will work and you'll retain whatever mana they regened until you enter combat again. It's a nice bonus, but you're usually better off with just a damage crystal instead.

Also slayers don't really get into a good flow until you get overhand strike and its reset glyph.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The tone of the game sure shifts dramatically past level 57. Up to that point everything's pretty beer&pretzels but wow gently caress that Labyrinth of Fear dungeon.

e: Also choosing a Mystic as my first character was a grave error of hubris

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 28, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mystic is the greatest class and summoning Thrall of Wrath to absolutely smoke whatever you're fighting is the best feeling in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Vermain posted:

Mystic is the greatest class and summoning Thrall of Wrath to absolutely smoke whatever you're fighting is the best feeling in the game.

I think Balders Vengeance is right up there with Thrall of Wrath. Especially when you manage to get it through the Inner Gate in Corsairs and blow away a wall of defenders/attackers.

• Locked thread