Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

dads_work_files posted:

Castle of the Winds

Actually I don't think that's it. :v:

That said, holy poo poo I remember this game, thanks anyway! Gelatinous Cubes and cursed items and rusty everything... thanks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A search of "eroge four seasons" gives me a series called Da Capo which is set on a magical island where the cherry blossoms are always in bloom.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

al-azad posted:

A search of "eroge four seasons" gives me a series called Da Capo which is set on a magical island where the cherry blossoms are always in bloom.

Yeah, I don't think that's it... looks too new.

Also what does "eroge" mean? I'm going to assume that's some anime term.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

This is pretty vague, but I'm looking for a PC game from about 8-10 years ago. It was a freeware shooter which had a 3D view of a ship descending into a pit viewed from above. It was pretty short iirc - maybe only 3 or 4 levels, and the only objective was score.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, I don't think that's it... looks too new.

Also what does "eroge" mean? I'm going to assume that's some anime term.

erotic + game = eroge

"some anime term" comin' from the guy asking us for a hentai title he won't google

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My bookmarking this thread has really paid off today.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Skunkrocker posted:

The game went through all four seasons and each time a new season rolled around there'd be a scene describing the cherry blossoms on the trees and how they would react to the weather.

Season of Sakura / Sakura no Kisetsu?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

Season of Sakura / Sakura no Kisetsu?

Yeah, that's it. I swear it was featured on SA but it wasn't. loving weird. Oh well.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, that's it. I swear it was featured on SA but it wasn't. loving weird. Oh well.

Goddamnit. The very first time I get the name right it is of a loving Hentai game.

Be right back, committing suicide.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I am very knowledgeable about eroges, if anyone has any further questions

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

Goddamnit. The very first time I get the name right it is of a loving Hentai game.

Be right back, committing suicide.

You and me both, man.

But hey, as a bonus, Castle of the Winds is now totally freeware and it's much better than any hentai game in existence.

Seriously, so glad dads_work_files reminded me of it's existence. I'll probably play it after work tonight just to relive the terrible memories of being eaten over and over again by fricken cubes of moldy jello.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Cake Attack posted:

I am very knowledgeable about eroges, if anyone has any further questions

I know this isn't the 'recommend me a game' thread, but

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sado Gurumi no Machi -Just Thinking About Sex with a JK Made Me Jizz Into a Coma - is a good starter eroge

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Hey here's one. It's something my computer class had on all the computers back in the late '90s (Think '99-'00, but I think it might have been a game from a few years earlier).

Some manner of flight game, not a sim. Space-age stuff but set on a planet and in the atmosphere. Basic 3d graphics. It was a demo with LAN, one map, and possibly no singleplayer. I recall that there was lava here and there and a lot of green and brown mountains, a few underground bases/ruins, and you could fly up over the clouds and dogfight anywhere between the sky and the ground. Fun stuff and I know there was a singleplayer since once I found the demo on the internet at home but I've long since forgotten the name of the game. In that demo I remember it was dark and you were mostly shooting, like, electrical towers or something.

The Descent games heavily remind me of it in looks and how it plays but I don't think it was a Descent game, the UI and stuff feel wrong.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Hey here's one. It's something my computer class had on all the computers back in the late '90s (Think '99-'00, but I think it might have been a game from a few years earlier).

Some manner of flight game, not a sim. Space-age stuff but set on a planet and in the atmosphere. Basic 3d graphics. It was a demo with LAN, one map, and possibly no singleplayer. I recall that there was lava here and there and a lot of green and brown mountains, a few underground bases/ruins, and you could fly up over the clouds and dogfight anywhere between the sky and the ground. Fun stuff and I know there was a singleplayer since once I found the demo on the internet at home but I've long since forgotten the name of the game. In that demo I remember it was dark and you were mostly shooting, like, electrical towers or something.

The Descent games heavily remind me of it in looks and how it plays but I don't think it was a Descent game, the UI and stuff feel wrong.

Terminal Velocity?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Could be Interplay's Hardwar. It was a space shooter set on a planet in a dense city where you could fly inside things sometimes. The game is really brown with mountains and clouds everywhere. There was a multiplayer mode as well.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
There is this one game that my sister used to play on our old acer computer growing up. It was a demo of a 3D first (maybe 3rd or both) person flight game. You were a spaceship flying across some planet, and there were ruins and poo poo you could fly inside of. There were badguys, and no multiplayer that I could think of, all I remember about it was flying into tunnels in pyramids, and my sister always flying upside down and getting shot by stuff. I wish I could remember more, I don't even remember what the enemies were. Everything was brown and deserty though. There were rivers and clouds you could fly into?

Anyway, I always played the jack jackrabbit and tyrian demos on the acer, if that helps with age wise. But yeah I've been hunting that game for my sister for the longest time but can't find poo poo.

Edit: It sounds like Shima's game, but I dont remember lava or shootimg towers I think. There was also absolutely a singleplayer. No idea about multiplayer. Then again it was a demo.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Sprite141 posted:

There is this one game that my sister used to play on our old acer computer growing up. It was a demo of a 3D first (maybe 3rd or both) person flight game. You were a spaceship flying across some planet, and there were ruins and poo poo you could fly inside of. There were badguys, and no multiplayer that I could think of, all I remember about it was flying into tunnels in pyramids, and my sister always flying upside down and getting shot by stuff. I wish I could remember more, I don't even remember what the enemies were. Everything was brown and deserty though. There were rivers and clouds you could fly into?

Anyway, I always played the jack jackrabbit and tyrian demos on the acer, if that helps with age wise. But yeah I've been hunting that game for my sister for the longest time but can't find poo poo.

Edit: It sounds like Shima's game, but I dont remember lava or shootimg towers I think. There was also absolutely a singleplayer. No idea about multiplayer. Then again it was a demo.

Fury3 had a desert-based demo and was on the same engine as Terminal Velocity.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

dads_work_files posted:

Fury3 had a desert-based demo and was on the same engine as Terminal Velocity.

Talking to my sister, and that might just be it. We thought it was super polygony, but she'd always play it in first person. Thanks!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I remember playing this game, I think it was for the Mega Drive, but it could easily be SNES or some other 90s console. In it your character was pretty small, not taking up much of the screen at all, and it was a platformer, I think the early level was either in a futuristic city or a rocky wasteland. The main things I remember was your guy was either a robot or in power armour and you went around shooting enemies, and it controlled really oddly. Rather than being able to turn around, two different buttons fired in opposite directions, one to the right and one to the left. You also didn't have a jump button, your chracter had a big wing-spike style jetpack that you could use to fly around a bit. The main other feature I remember was that you could land on top of some kind of one-wheeled bike type vehicle and press down on the d-pad to merge with it and you could play as a robo-wheel, and in that form you could jump.

I don't even recall playing it that much or it being particularly great but its bugging the hell out of me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

I remember playing this game, I think it was for the Mega Drive, but it could easily be SNES or some other 90s console. In it your character was pretty small, not taking up much of the screen at all, and it was a platformer, I think the early level was either in a futuristic city or a rocky wasteland. The main things I remember was your guy was either a robot or in power armour and you went around shooting enemies, and it controlled really oddly. Rather than being able to turn around, two different buttons fired in opposite directions, one to the right and one to the left. You also didn't have a jump button, your chracter had a big wing-spike style jetpack that you could use to fly around a bit. The main other feature I remember was that you could land on top of some kind of one-wheeled bike type vehicle and press down on the d-pad to merge with it and you could play as a robo-wheel, and in that form you could jump.

I don't even recall playing it that much or it being particularly great but its bugging the hell out of me.

Ranger X, my favorite Genny game.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

al-azad posted:

I feel like on every message board with one of these "help with name" threads, Ranger X gets brought up the most.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Plan Z posted:

I feel like on every message board with one of these "help with name" threads, Ranger X gets brought up the most.

This is the first time I've seen it mentioned. It's certainly no Castle of the Winds, Return Fire, or *insert MECC game you played on an Apple II in school*.

But it is a hidden gem on the console and everyone should play it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

al-azad posted:

This is the first time I've seen it mentioned. It's certainly no Castle of the Winds, Return Fire, or *insert MECC game you played on an Apple II in school*.

But it is a hidden gem on the console and everyone should play it.

The only way I was ever aware of Ranger X was that somebody recently (I think the Two Best Friends?) did a video including it, fawning over how amazing it was for the time. It certainly looked unique, I had to give it that.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Plan Z posted:

I've been following this thread for some time trying to help out and I have yet to see a game get repeated, to be honest.

That said at least two of the games I was looking for were sought after so much they had dedicated replies for them apparently...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaodai posted:

The only way I was ever aware of Ranger X was that somebody recently (I think the Two Best Friends?) did a video including it, fawning over how amazing it was for the time. It certainly looked unique, I had to give it that.

I bought it when a store was closing a few years ago, was shocked to find a Genesis game I hadn't heard of, then shocked again that it was one of the best shmups on the platform. It's also $10-ish bucks, shocks all around.

Skunkrocker posted:

I've been following this thread for some time trying to help out and I have yet to see a game get repeated, to be honest.

That said at least two of the games I was looking for were sought after so much they had dedicated replies for them apparently...

It has been a while but I think everyone on the internet has finally hammered into their head that the game they're looking for is probably Return Fire or CotW. If you type "What's the name of the pc game with the jeep" into Google literally the first response is Return Fire.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

al-azad posted:

It has been a while but I think everyone on the internet has finally hammered into their head that the game they're looking for is probably Return Fire or CotW. If you type "What's the name of the pc game with the jeep" into Google literally the first response is Return Fire.

That's hilarious. I would have said Jackal too.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

Could be Interplay's Hardwar. It was a space shooter set on a planet in a dense city where you could fly inside things sometimes. The game is really brown with mountains and clouds everywhere. There was a multiplayer mode as well.

Skunkrocker posted:

Terminal Velocity?

None of those look quite right for my vague memory but I'll look into those to see if playing it rings a bell. Also Fury3.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

al-azad posted:

Yup that's definitely it, thanks! I think I played it on a small TV or mentally half-fused it with another game because in my memory it was more Metroid-like, but that's definitely it, thanks! The second level being a cave and the cool wireframe opening sequence I remembered but didn't connect at all with that game.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

None of those look quite right for my vague memory but I'll look into those to see if playing it rings a bell. Also Fury3.

Even if it's not I highly recommend Terminal Velocity, it was a hidden gem from 3D Realms, to be sure.

StriderVM
Aug 23, 2013

JPrime posted:

Another longshot. Sometime in the 1986-1990 timeframe, I remember playing an arcade game that had an anime/akira-looking style to it, I think. It was sort of sci-fi/futuristic, I think? And I think the gameplay style was very similar to dragon's lair/space ace.

I'm sure that's Road Blaster / Road Avenger. :)

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shima Honnou posted:

Some manner of flight game, not a sim. Space-age stuff but set on a planet and in the atmosphere. Basic 3d graphics. It was a demo with LAN, one map, and possibly no singleplayer. I recall that there was lava here and there and a lot of green and brown mountains, a few underground bases/ruins, and you could fly up over my butts and dogfight anywhere between the sky and the ground. Fun stuff and I know there was a singleplayer since once I found the demo on the internet at home but I've long since forgotten the name of the game. In that demo I remember it was dark and you were mostly shooting, like, electrical towers or something.

Hellbender had a trial that sounds close to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNwWU0APPo

StriderVM
Aug 23, 2013
I just remembered something, this should be easy to you guys :

It seems to be a tile based exploration PC game (The graphics do looks more cartoony than realistic like Ultima).

I also remember one of the goons has this game as his profile picture. (You died horribly! Press any key to continue?)

StriderVM fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 27, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Bondematt posted:

This is supposed to be the sequel to Fury3, isn't it?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cheez posted:

This is supposed to be the sequel to Fury3, isn't it?

Yup

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I have two games I am trying to remember or find

First one is an old fighter jet game or demo that I played around 14-15 years ago. Might have been one of those PC mag discs with a bunch of games or demos.
I distinctly remember it had an eject button and you'd end the level if you ejected and watch the little pixelated man in a cockpit seat parachute to the ground. I dont remember too much storyline or air combat so I'm leaning more towards a demo here.

Second is a offroader game that was around a similar time, may have been another PC mag disc but it was a large open world and I clearly remember you would get to the "edge" and they would just be horrendously large cliffs. I'm not 100% sure but if you could clip/climb your way to the top of the cliffs you'd get catapulted back into the map. I distinctly remember there were motorbikes and possible buggies of some description. This was all in third person perspective.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Spiteski posted:

Second is a offroader game that was around a similar time, may have been another PC mag disc but it was a large open world and I clearly remember you would get to the "edge" and they would just be horrendously large cliffs. I'm not 100% sure but if you could clip/climb your way to the top of the cliffs you'd get catapulted back into the map. I distinctly remember there were motorbikes and possible buggies of some description. This was all in third person perspective.

Big Red Racing?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Spiteski posted:

This is almost certainly Motocross Madness (1 or 2).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Bondematt posted:

I'm almost certain this is it, yeah. I'd need to see the multiplayer demo map to be 100%, but that looks like what I remember from the singleplayer and the HUD also looks really familiar.

Thanks for the help, dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Spiteski posted:

First one is an old fighter jet game or demo that I played around 14-15 years ago. Might have been one of those PC mag discs with a bunch of games or demos.
I distinctly remember it had an eject button and you'd end the level if you ejected and watch the little pixelated man in a cockpit seat parachute to the ground. I dont remember too much storyline or air combat so I'm leaning more towards a demo here.

Problem is a lot of games around that period had little pixelated men that eject, but check out Jane's games for that time, USNF and it's sequel had it for sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP5oRDwft4c

Shima Honnou posted:

I'm almost certain this is it, yeah. I'd need to see the multiplayer demo map to be 100%, but that looks like what I remember from the singleplayer and the HUD also looks really familiar.

Thanks for the help, dudes.

No problem. I love the hell out of Hellbender as it was the first PC "flying" game I played. Basically no one I know has ever heard of it though.

Edit: Oh god I forgot about the bitchin intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOaFJQ2G7Hs

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 27, 2015