Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

Hopefully you start by vaccinating and quarantining them. Then you find a way to teach them poo poo like "planes aren't birds" and "that wasn't thunder." Basically you're starting with comedy but growing into some neat statecraft poo poo.
"You like dick jokes and talking about yourself incessantly, right? check out this thing called the internet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Phanatic posted:

And yet in every society that industrializes people flee the farms for the cities as soon as they possibly can.

Here's a few basic reasons for that. The proto phase of industrial revolution is marked by an increase of agricultural productivity which lead to dropping prices and a growing population. Depending on laws of inheritance this led either to shrinking plots for farmers or the landless surplus wandering elsewhere, looking for subsistence e.g. the cities (unless there was land to be made arable). In Germany we're facing shrinking plots, which led to concentration of landownership and lots of tenant farmers and farmhands looking for work that tugged along somehow each year. What you got to know is, that farmers and their families needed to supplement their income with crafts in the cold months. Weaving of fabrics was a widespread source of income for these people. When the IR hits, it takes away this source and the people who were barely making it every year as is face real existential problems. Subsistence farming is an impossible situation, a tool breaks or somebody gets sick and you run up debt that you'll never be able to pay off. Sooner or later you'll lose everything. The German word for this trend tells what it is: Landflucht. Rural flight.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SlothfulCobra posted:

How far would a roman legion get if they were transported into the present day, assuming that the army wasn't immediately called on them and they just had to deal with local police forces?

Um pretty far, since a legion has more than 5,000 soldiers. Think of your police force, could 50-100 donut-jockey civilians take on 5,000 veteran soldiers? I don't think so. The Romans win it in a rout unless we're talking about a metropolitan city with thousands of cops, or one of those hosed up rural counties that got every deputy a machine gun and a grenade launcher from the military to play with "quell civil unrest".

edit: Fauxton has apparently confused "Romans" with "Neanderthals". Pretty sure that they aren't going to walk blindly into moving traffic, or run away from loud noises, or whatever the gently caress. These guys spent 20 years killing for a living the hard way - they're not going to be deterred with tear gas and some water cannons. The average police force, even in America, doesn't have anywhere near the resources or training to fend off an entire army.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 27, 2015

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Arquinsiel posted:

Remember when I said this?
You're arguing against things which were not said.

Arquinsiel posted:

There's a school of thought that the entire story is a Romance fabrication :ssh:
I remember the article making claims about skulls and size changes in amygdalas and poo poo, but that's about as far as I could understand the biological changes it was claiming. Further than that you get into the philosophical differences between natural and artificial selection, which is basically a rabbithole.

Arquinsiel posted:

"Health" is not exactly the same thing as "fitness". I saw a claim a while back that humanity as a whole is far less physically inclined today than it was even a thousand years ago. We're evolving fast.

I did not claim that you distinctly believed this theory. I did not claim even that it was wrong. I confess that the central idea is related to anger and violence and not sitting on the couch and I was wrong to keep talking about sedentary lifestyles. I will claim that more than skull and brain size changes is needed to demonstrate that claim and could fall apart easily. There are a host of other factors that need to be dealt with before. Maybe the patients were from an environment which adversely affected neurological development?

There can be real arguments about cultural evolution but if we are talking about physical change in response to that, that one will be much harder to demonstrate. To me, the biological changes described are more of a knock against the theory than for and suggests that they likely don't have enough evidence but are making the claim anyway. The rest may be fine but the biology feels off.

Halp, I am a biologist stuck in a history thread. I just wanna post silly and read about Roman tank destroyers versus the police.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kaal posted:

edit: Fauxton has apparently confused "Romans" with "Neanderthals". Pretty sure that they aren't going to walk blindly into moving traffic,
didn't we used to walk into the paths of trains a bunch, right after they were invented? figuring out how soon something moving right toward you will get there is a learned skill

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What if Napoleon had the USS Enterpries, and he was up against Romans with Plague Marine armour. And they meet at Sommes in 1916.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

HEY GAL posted:

didn't we used to walk into the paths of trains a bunch, right after they were invented? figuring out how soon something moving right toward you will get there is a learned skill

What, onto the tracks? I'd say that they're a pretty good clue. There was a lot of excitement over them, but I think that the idea of people were walking right in front of a speeding train is largely an urban legend. Most early trains were traveling at about 30 mph, not much faster than a galloping horse that everyone was familiar with (this is also what enabled horsemen to rob trains as opposed to be passed by them without incident). Plus these days there's visual signs everywhere for that sort of thing that intentionally avoid relying on words.

midnightclimax posted:

What if Napoleon had the USS Enterpries, and he was up against Romans with Plague Marine armour. And they meet at Sommes in 1916.

None of the USS Enterprises are rated for landing in atmosphere, not even the aircraft carrier. Riker tried and Red Shirts died.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 27, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Visual design language is itself a huge and fascinating field of study. I remember seeing an hour+ documentary a couple of years back about the design of this sign and how much effort it took to make the subject matter obvious via careful wiggling of whatever the dude is digging.

ETA: the woman who designed it, and all the rest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Calvert

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Kaal posted:

What, onto the tracks? I'd say that they're a pretty good clue. There was a lot of excitement over them, but I think that the idea of people were walking right in front of a speeding train is largely an urban legend. Most early trains were traveling at about 30 mph, not much faster than a galloping horse that everyone was familiar with (this is also what enabled horsemen to rob trains as opposed to be passed by them without incident). Plus these days there's visual signs everywhere for that sort of thing that intentionally avoid relying on words.

I know for a fact that train tracks in a crowded city caused fatalities. It was a major reason, the other being smoke, that Chicago had a law mandating all train lines be grade separated (when trains were still new, the law did eventually get repealed or something.)

Edit: not to mention that train crossings still kill people that are somehow unaware/uncaring of the danger. In the transport engineering thread theres a post saying that one of the complaints/objections that some sort of rail plan had was that their kids played on the tracks.

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 27, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That dude is obviously lifting up an umbrella, though.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Tekopo posted:

That dude is obviously lifting up an umbrella, though.

In Britain, they dig with umbrellas.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Arquinsiel posted:

Visual design language is itself a huge and fascinating field of study. I remember seeing an hour+ documentary a couple of years back about the design of this sign and how much effort it took to make the subject matter obvious via careful wiggling of whatever the dude is digging.

ETA: the woman who designed it, and all the rest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Calvert

It's extremely interesting, where I studied there was just a new branch of visual communication about to be established. Centered on political communication, but we also discussed things like warning signs e.g for radioactive waste, that should be understood centuries or millenia in the future.

Speaking of language, I'm just reading Hobsbawm's book on nationalism and there's a chapter about language where he treats the problem of expressing e.g. modern political and economic concepts in old languages. Apparently it's super hard and mostly impossible if the speaker doesn't know a modern language and the concepts that are weaved into it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Communist Zombie posted:

I know for a fact that train tracks in a crowded city caused fatalities. It was a major reason, the other being smoke, that Chicago had a law mandating all train lines be grade separated (when trains were still new, the law did eventually get repealed or something.) Not to mention that train crossings still kill people that are somehow unaware/uncaring of the danger. In the transport engineering thread theres a post saying that one of the complaints/objections that some sort of rail plan had was that their kids played on the tracks.

Well sure, and roads remain one of the highest sources of fatalities in America to this day. But that's from recklessness and inattentiveness, not "Oh what's that mysterious speeding object? Is it dangerous?" A kid playing on the tracks here in the US knows that it's dangerous, that's half of the fun.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kaal posted:

Well sure, and roads remain one of the highest sources of fatalities in America to this day. But that's from recklessness and inattentiveness, not "Oh what's that mysterious speeding object? Is it dangerous?" A kid playing on the tracks here in the US knows that it's dangerous, that's half of the fun.
Absent cultural information you don't have, why would I think it's dangerous? If I came across something that looked like this nailed to a gate, the only thing that's telling me it's dangerous is the guys in the sketch cringing away from it. I have no idea what it is without knowing something about early modern sieges.

(It's a petard, included it because a bucket on a plank doesn't look frightening)
Why assume only stupid people won't know what the deal with cars is? They've never seen one before.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JaucheCharly posted:

It's extremely interesting, where I studied there was just a new branch of visual communication about to be established. Centered on political communication, but we also discussed things like warning signs e.g for radioactive waste, that should be understood centuries or millenia in the future.

Speaking of language, I'm just reading Hobsbawm's book on nationalism and there's a chapter about language where he treats the problem of expressing e.g. modern political and economic concepts in old languages. Apparently it's super hard and mostly impossible if the speaker doesn't know a modern language and the concepts that are weaved into it.
This isn't just a high-level concept issue either. Look at feral children, neglected deaf people or the weird studies done on African tribes with totally different concepts of colour. Our languages do literally affect how our brains develop as we grow up on an individual level.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

One of my earliest memories was being terrified of buckets with the drowning child warning. It featured a silouete toddler upside down in the bucket in a shallow body of liquid, with a cut away of the lungs also filled with liquid. I did not understand what I was really supposed to be afraid of but I remember I was. If a 4 year old can associate fear with it, your warning sign probably works across a lot of divides.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The real question is what happens if the hypothetical legion showed up in Palmyra just in time to see ISIS going to town on the ruins.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm experimenting with posting these at different times of day and seeing whether it has any effect on my numbers. (There appears to be a small-but-noticeable variance depending on whether they go at the top of a milhist page, in the middle somewhere, or at the bottom...)

100 Years Ago

Do you like genocide? Then today is your day, since we're looking at the law that's just been passed in the Ottoman Empire, and provided the legal underpinning for this war's most notable crime against humanity (it beats the treatment of African porters by a quarter of a length), the crime that later drove Raphael Lemkin to invent and define the word "genocide", because all the other words just weren't good enough to describe what had been done. Meanwhile, General Joffre stops talking about "nibbling" and starts speaking of "attrition", a Croatian defensive expert arrives on the Italian Front, Herbert Sulzbach goes back into hospital, and Kenneth Best looks out to sea to find HMS Majestic sinking gently, the latest victim of U-21. (There's also another staggeringly fantastic advert for patent medicine.)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

HEY GAL posted:

I was always told that you can't accurately assess car speeds until you're a teenager.

First google result I found to support it was this: http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/Press_Releases/children%27s%20vision%20of%20car%20speeds%20and%2020%20mph.pdf

I imagine that it's also a learned skill as you say though.
How fast were chariots, though?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm still waiting for that Reddit post that was going to be turned into a movie about a Marine Corps FOB that gets transported in time to meet Julia Ceaser. It was going to be called "Rome, sweet Rome".

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm experimenting with posting these at different times of day and seeing whether it has any effect on my numbers. (There appears to be a small-but-noticeable variance depending on whether they go at the top of a milhist page, in the middle somewhere, or at the bottom...)

100 Years Ago

Do you like genocide? Then today is your day, since we're looking at the law that's just been passed in the Ottoman Empire, and provided the legal underpinning for this war's most notable crime against humanity (it beats the treatment of African porters by a quarter of a length), the crime that later drove Raphael Lemkin to invent and define the word "genocide", because all the other words just weren't good enough to describe what had been done. Meanwhile, General Joffre stops talking about "nibbling" and starts speaking of "attrition", a Croatian defensive expert arrives on the Italian Front, Herbert Sulzbach goes back into hospital, and Kenneth Best looks out to sea to find HMS Majestic sinking gently, the latest victim of U-21. (There's also another staggeringly fantastic advert for patent medicine.)

If you care about hits/visibility, maybe make a tumblr with those ads and link back to your blog. They're fun outside a milhist context.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HEY GAL posted:

i thought roman traffic sucked bad? they wouldn't understand cars, but they'd probably "get" cities

Well, uh, double dumb-rear end on you!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I think the Romans would probably last until they discovered distilled spirits and then expire from alcohol poisoning.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

How far would a roman legion get if they were transported into the present day, assuming that the army wasn't immediately called on them and they just had to deal with local police forces?

Probably not far. They'd stumble around confused in this new, alien world until they find someone who can talk Latin. Then they get shown ruins from the old empire and get depressed. A wave of suicides decimates them. The survivors become guests in talkshows.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well there would still be 9/10th of them alive so that would be a lot of survivors.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tekopo posted:

Well there would still be 9/10th of them alive so that would be a lot of survivors.

:golfclap:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Super minor niggle - 'Yes, U-21 has struck again, and another dreadnought has gone down.'. No it hasn't :colbert:, HMS Majestic was built in 1895.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What was I thinking, posting immediately after a time travel question?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Should prolly ban time travel questions.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Disinterested posted:

Should prolly ban time travel questions.

Eh, they'd show up again in the future.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

my dad posted:

:v:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

my dad posted:

:vince:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

JaucheCharly posted:

This one is cool in a way that if you described to some people a radioactive waste storage facilities it just sounds enticing in a D&D adventurer sort of way. "A picture of a pile of laughing skulls and cruel spikes? Sign me up! Who knows what goodies they're hiding!"

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

This one is cool in a way that if you described to some people a radioactive waste storage facilities it just sounds enticing in a D&D adventurer sort of way. "A picture of a pile of laughing skulls and cruel spikes? Sign me up! Who knows what goodies they're hiding!"

Get out of here STALKER.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

'Buried under this location is a source of immense power that kills people'

Yeah a post-apocalyptic warlord isn't going to be tempted by that at all.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I saw a TV special on that a few years ago and the experts conclusion was to just bury it as far away from everything as possible and hide it as well as possible because any other approach would just make people curious which would result in exploring and etc

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If they could decipher additional info to the signs, it would probably sound like some superstitious warning about evil spirits to them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

my dad posted:

Not if you are in China.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

bewbies posted:

I saw a TV special on that a few years ago and the experts conclusion was to just bury it as far away from everything as possible and hide it as well as possible because any other approach would just make people curious which would result in exploring and etc

It must have been kinda depressing, but perhaps not surprising for those experts to realize that there really is no way to tell human beings "Don't open this loving door, it will kill you" and have it stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If the humanity descended to such a level they couldn't understand the concept of radioactivity any more, they would probably have a lot more pressing problems than accidentally digging into a nuclear waste storage facility. Kinda like worrying that refugees from Syria would choke on packing peanuts that came with their aid packets.

• Locked thread