Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Gavok posted:

"...and not everyone wants to be saved."
:wow:

That's some drat good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That's a pretty hosed-up choice in the first place, and I'm actually surprised they just about said as much.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cabbit posted:

That's a pretty hosed-up choice in the first place, and I'm actually surprised they just about said as much.

That's been a major theme in the book. Robots have personalities but they don't have free will. That won't be invented until the Mega Man X era. With it comes serious baggage.

Some robots are distraught over it like a scene with Needle Man I posted earlier in the thread. He doesn't want to kill Mega Man, but he's driven to it because that's what he's programmed to do. His opinion doesn't matter and it makes him bitter. Some are comforted in their deaths when Mega Man tells them that he'll have their programming changed so they can do something other than destroy. As shown, some feel it takes away from who they really are.

There's a new character introduced named Quake Woman who had a goofball personality and a mother/daughter relationship with her creator Dr. Lalinde. Then an accident almost destroyed her and Lalinde couldn't handle it. She had Quake Woman's emotions and personality removed, but realized later that that was a gigantic mistake. She tried to rebuild her personality best she could and is completely guilt-ridden over her actions.

Then there's Proto Man, who ran away from home because Dr. Light was considering altering his personality during a life-saving operation. Proto Man came back to make amends sometime later and saw that Rock and Roll were taking care of Dr. Light, which drove him over the edge because he didn't see Mega Man as a brother, but as a replacement. If Mega Man is Dr. Light's assistant/weapon/son then what is Proto Man supposed to be? By simply existing, Mega Man has stolen his purpose.

In other words, Mega Man is a rad book.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gavok posted:

That's been a major theme in the book. Robots have personalities but they don't have free will. That won't be invented until the Mega Man X era. With it comes serious baggage.

Some robots are distraught over it like a scene with Needle Man I posted earlier in the thread. He doesn't want to kill Mega Man, but he's driven to it because that's what he's programmed to do. His opinion doesn't matter and it makes him bitter. Some are comforted in their deaths when Mega Man tells them that he'll have their programming changed so they can do something other than destroy. As shown, some feel it takes away from who they really are.

There's a new character introduced named Quake Woman who had a goofball personality and a mother/daughter relationship with her creator Dr. Lalinde. Then an accident almost destroyed her and Lalinde couldn't handle it. She had Quake Woman's emotions and personality removed, but realized later that that was a gigantic mistake. She tried to rebuild her personality best she could and is completely guilt-ridden over her actions.

Then there's Proto Man, who ran away from home because Dr. Light was considering altering his personality during a life-saving operation. Proto Man came back to make amends sometime later and saw that Rock and Roll were taking care of Dr. Light, which drove him over the edge because he didn't see Mega Man as a brother, but as a replacement. If Mega Man is Dr. Light's assistant/weapon/son then what is Proto Man supposed to be? By simply existing, Mega Man has stolen his purpose.

In other words, Mega Man is a rad book.

Agreed. I picked it up based entirely on the pages you posted in here. It's definitely an all ages book but if you're not against books that are fun and mostly lighthearted Megaman definitely won't disappoint. It's only up to the end of MM3 though because there was a foray into Super Adventure Rockman, timetravel hijinks, and a bitchin' crossover with Sonic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Megaman on that Archie Unlimited dealio?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sadly not. The licensing agreement might prevent them from put that stuff on there, considering they have stuck some of the Afterlife and Circle lines on. (Similar to how the only non-MU content on Marvel's version is Star Wars, because they're owned by the same parent company)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Actually, that subplot is one of the reasons I lost interest in the book. I thought Lalinde had a really good point that making a tool which lacks free will but has emotions is something a psycho would do. Sending something to do dangerous work which can feel emotional pain like fear and doubt is pretty monstrous, and having a replaceable machine you can get emotionally invested in is bonkers. But the debate she had with Dr. Light presented her as obviously in the wrong, and I just kinda rolled my eyes at that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Sadly not. The licensing agreement might prevent them from put that stuff on there, considering they have stuck some of the Afterlife and Circle lines on. (Similar to how the only non-MU content on Marvel's version is Star Wars, because they're owned by the same parent company)

That's annoying, I hoped it would since the license is still active for Archie, versus all the Marvel poo poo (except Star Wars) that is from deals that expired long ago.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Lurdiak posted:

Actually, that subplot is one of the reasons I lost interest in the book. I thought Lalinde had a really good point that making a tool which lacks free will but has emotions is something a psycho would do. Sending something to do dangerous work which can feel emotional pain like fear and doubt is pretty monstrous, and having a replaceable machine you can get emotionally invested in is bonkers. But the debate she had with Dr. Light presented her as obviously in the wrong, and I just kinda rolled my eyes at that.

I think this is kind of a tone-deaf interpretation of that book. The problem isn't that Dr. Lalinde is presenting a fundamentally flawed argument, it's that it's obvious her argument is hiding something. The debate with Light isn't a grand diatribe on robot personalities, it's a framing device for the later reveal that Lalinde did something kind of hosed up. Say what you will about creating robots with personalities, stripping the personality out of a robot that already had one crosses a line. And that's the point the book is making, similar to the "Reprogramming is a form of death" from Gavok's post.

Lalinde is presented as in the right for restoring Quake Girl's emotions, but that's because she's just fixing something she already broke. You'll notice that the good doctor never creates another robot with a personality, Quake Girl never has a brother or a sister. And nobody seems to take issue with that. I'm not saying it's a bad read to say that the book is pushing the idea that she's wrong, but it's ignoring the main point of that scene, which is "something is off about Dr. Lalinde."

Also, she's talking to a wall, because Dr. Light is a programmer first and foremost, and spends almost all of his time actively trying to create the first robot with free will, so of course from his perspective making robots with personalities is a necessary thing. And since he's the "father" of the protagonist, yeah his viewpoints are going to be a little bigger and more vibrant than a character that appears like, 6 times in the entire series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

I think this is kind of a tone-deaf interpretation of that book. The problem isn't that Dr. Lalinde is presenting a fundamentally flawed argument, it's that it's obvious her argument is hiding something. The debate with Light isn't a grand diatribe on robot personalities, it's a framing device for the later reveal that Lalinde did something kind of hosed up. Say what you will about creating robots with personalities, stripping the personality out of a robot that already had one crosses a line. And that's the point the book is making, similar to the "Reprogramming is a form of death" from Gavok's post.

Lalinde is presented as in the right for restoring Quake Girl's emotions, but that's because she's just fixing something she already broke. You'll notice that the good doctor never creates another robot with a personality, Quake Girl never has a brother or a sister. And nobody seems to take issue with that. I'm not saying it's a bad read to say that the book is pushing the idea that she's wrong, but it's ignoring the main point of that scene, which is "something is off about Dr. Lalinde."

Also, she's talking to a wall, because Dr. Light is a programmer first and foremost, and spends almost all of his time actively trying to create the first robot with free will, so of course from his perspective making robots with personalities is a necessary thing. And since he's the "father" of the protagonist, yeah his viewpoints are going to be a little bigger and more vibrant than a character that appears like, 6 times in the entire series.

You're totally right, I just kinda checked out at that point due to a small accumulation of things that annoyed me, such as the fact that the comic blasted through the plot of the first two games in like 4 issues and the impending crossover with Sonic. I think the main problem is that this is a book for kids, and I'm 30, and I kept wanting the book to be something it was never going to be, and probably shouldn't be. So I just stopped reading.

All these cool panels Gavok keeps posting make me want to reconsider, though.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I'm probably going to have to pick Mega Man up, finally (I've been considering it for ages) but I have to wonder why they didn't just make money off the Robot Masters who only wanted to fight? Ultimate Robot Fighting, they get to be useful and do what they love, and it isn't like there haven't been a couple Mega Man fighting games. Maybe it'll come back up later, I guess.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm probably going to have to pick Mega Man up, finally (I've been considering it for ages) but I have to wonder why they didn't just make money off the Robot Masters who only wanted to fight? Ultimate Robot Fighting, they get to be useful and do what they love, and it isn't like there haven't been a couple Mega Man fighting games. Maybe it'll come back up later, I guess.

It would be very hard for them to do that without killing them. It's also not something most of them want to do.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

well they'll probably be back eventually, cause there's events in several future games that could prompt them being reactivated, either by Dr Light, or by Dr Wily(the first 3 Game Boy Mega Man games as well as V, Power Battles, Power Fighters, Mega Man & Bass, 9, and 10 all come to mind if any of them get adapted, and that's not going into possible original material that could bring them back)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

D'awww. As someone who loves MM2 I'm glad Bubble Man gets a happy ending after being such a dork. Hopefully they can afford the same thing for Top M-

Oh. :smith:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

You're totally right, I just kinda checked out at that point due to a small accumulation of things that annoyed me, such as the fact that the comic blasted through the plot of the first two games in like 4 issues and the impending crossover with Sonic. I think the main problem is that this is a book for kids, and I'm 30, and I kept wanting the book to be something it was never going to be, and probably shouldn't be. So I just stopped reading.

All these cool panels Gavok keeps posting make me want to reconsider, though.

As mentioned, they only now just finished the plot to Mega Man 3, so they've been taking their time. They've been breaking from the games with their own original stories as well as covering whatever obscure Mega Man game had Ra Moon as the villain. The Sonic crossover is really good (which I say as someone who doesn't really care about Sonic and has no knowledge of the franchise past the first Dreamcast game), but it's designed so that it can be skipped completely if you want and nothing will be missed.

Then again, right now they're about to do a sequel to that where it's Mega Man, Mega Man X, Sonic and a shitload of random Capcom/Sega characters like Viewtiful Joe and Nights. As someone pointed out in the Archie thread, it's kind of hilarious that Archie is printing more Street Fighter comics in a year than UDON just by doing this crossover.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I figure that robot fighting hasn't become a thing yet. Though it certainly will in time, since that's part of the plot of Mega Man 6 and they've foreshadowed it a bit. They even just introduced Mr. X, who is actually not Dr. Wily this time around. Or so it seems.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

As mentioned, they only now just finished the plot to Mega Man 3, so they've been taking their time. They've been breaking from the games with their own original stories as well as covering whatever obscure Mega Man game had Ra Moon as the villain.

Super Adventure Rockman, which actually took place after Mega Man 3.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait, robots with advanced cryogenics, gyroscopic controls and control over magnetic fields just said they're kind of useless? :psyduck:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't think of a single application for Magneto's powers besides terrorism.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
There's at least one.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He could become a glorified industrial magnet but like Quick Man that probably doesn't hold much appeal.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

He could become a glorified industrial magnet but like Quick Man that probably doesn't hold much appeal.

I don't see why they can't use them for exactly the purpose their built for. Robot Arena!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I don't see why they can't use them for exactly the purpose their built for. Robot Arena!

The implications of that are far too interesting for the aesop the writer had planned.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Because it's a loving metaphor.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Because it's a loving metaphor.

Of course the metaphor kinda falls apart considering said Robot Masters aren't actually dead and it's almost inevitable that they'll come back in a future arc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Wait, robots with advanced cryogenics, gyroscopic controls and control over magnetic fields just said they're kind of useless? :psyduck:

Well they're useless if all they want to do is kill Mega Man and they're not allowed to kill Mega Man.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Because they would die.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Discendo Vox posted:

Because they would die.

Just keep rebuilding them! They can die again and again

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Just keep rebuilding them! They can die again and again

The way robot consciousness works in the comics (based on thread discussion), most of the time the deaths would be permanent. The "rebuilt" robot would have a new identity and personality. This is why Mega Man has the line about fighting so hard to keep them all intact.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Discendo Vox posted:

Because they would die.

You're right, it's incredibly common for professional fighters to die in the ring. That's why we outlawed mixed martial arts and boxing years ago. It's just way too dangerous!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
To be fair most professional MMA fighters/boxers/etc don't enter the ring with blowtorches and throwing stars and bombs

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Most of them aren't robots either.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yes but they are poo poo robots, which is why Mega-Man can kill dozens of them relatively easily.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"Relatively easily"? Those games are mad hard. I mean, maybe if you use a guide...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

To be fair most professional MMA fighters/boxers/etc don't enter the ring with blowtorches and throwing stars and bombs

And people wonder why boxing matches don't get better ratings...

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It just occurred to me, why isn't magnet man better at killing robots?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Ignite Memories posted:

It just occurred to me, why isn't magnet man better at killing robots?

Don't you know? His real power is that he has a "magnetic" personality.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Don't you know? His real power is that he has a "magnetic" personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vs4uHxqJJw

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I think I've listened to that song more than any of their others at this point. It is a GREAT loving driving song.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TwoPair posted:

And people wonder why boxing matches don't get better ratings...

who wonders this

who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think the Federation (or w/e government there is in Mega Man Land) would have put the kibosh on any of the former Robot Masters being given a weapon more dangerous than a squeaky hammer ever again.