Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

No Mods No Masters posted:

I got tired of carrying the cat and griffon school stuff I made once I switched to ursine, so I dropped them in front of the main town signpost in white orchard. Came back about ~8 hours later and it was all still there. Anecdotal evidence, don't blame me if your priceless goat butts disappear.
I know this is a few pages back, but I can't get over the mental image of some peasant finding priceless, pure silver Witcher gear, melting it down, and being later found in a nearby tavern drunk off their rear end.

I think it would suit the tone of the game nicely. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I've just finished what I think it considered the end of Act 1, sitting at level 20. Are Act 2 and 3 anywhere as near long as 1, or am I already spiralling towards the end game now? Should I just do all the sidequests now to pad it out a bit, as I'm not ready for it to end yet?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

poptart_fairy posted:

And my argument was that it didn't seem worse than other activities the other nations are doing, hence why I clarified my comment about seeing everyone as equally dickish rather than the Nilfgaardians to be morally superior. Also lmao at the fascism thing. I know the Witcher 3's your baby dude, but you could be a little less dramatic about this.

The nations you describe don't exist. You talk about the northern realms raping and pillaging, but what you are seeing is not the "northern realms" but the remnants of their army. Nilfgaard invaded a foreign land, destroyed their institutions, and anarchy (predictably) followed in its wake.

As for the fascism, I'm not directing that at you, that's to the guys talking about how the north needs the oppressive hand of order backed up by a "strong leader".

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I might have missed this last night, but the Quest and Yennefer appearance DLC have gone up on GoG.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Henselt did nothing wrong

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Mr.Citrus posted:

Pretty sure i got all the people in distress freed. is he there a certain time of day?

Takes an in-game week for them to get back home. The trader in question is one of the towns north of Fyke Island I think.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The nations you describe don't exist. You talk about the northern realms raping and pillaging, but what you are seeing is not the "northern realms" but the remnants of their army. Nilfgaard invaded a foreign land, destroyed their institutions, and anarchy (predictably) followed in its wake.

As for the fascism, I'm not directing that at you, that's to the guys talking about how the north needs the oppressive hand of order backed up by a "strong leader".

This conversation has got me interested: What's your position on the choices in (Late-game semi-optional quest spoilers) assassinating/not assassinating Radovid and setting up Dijkstra versus sinking the North for vassal Temeria?

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
So is it just me or does this game seem to take a step back (and I mean a big one, since this was part of the core of how Witcher 1+2 hosed up the player or let the player trivialize it) with its alchemy system?

I confess I sortof liked the rather blunt difficulty spike when you walked out of Flotsam to kill those Endregas and they loving tore your teeth out of your skull, loaded them into a shotgun and fired them back through your skull. It made you stop and take stock of every possible resource you could bring back to that fight to win it with extreme prejudice.

Traps, bombs, oils and all were very important tools that each took resources to create and forethought to use, because you couldn't just walk into a fight and stop to chug potions in the middle of it. Potions at the very least could be a very strategic choice, after reading about the thing you are going to kill, you had to decide which potions to use and then find the resources to brew those potions, then sit down before you fight and drink them. It's a game with a good interface for combat, but rather difficult combat, which can be made much easier, in fact almost trivialized, simply by making good strategic choices.

In Wild Hunt, you just pause and double click on some of them in your inventory and keep thunderbolt and swallow on your hotbar so you can pop them whenever you see the need or opportunity. They had a real improvement with the whole crime scene investigation everywhere and about everything mechanic that REALLY would have been nice paired with Witcher 2's difficulty and ability to reward you for making the right strategic choices. Now Geralt spells out exactly what's going down for you! But there's no strategic depth. I'm not asking for Chess or Go here, but the only strategy I have walking into a fight is "do I need to rest or go buy more hard liquor to turn into consumables, then rest?" The difficulty is that mobs of five enemies will jump attack me and chain-stun me. It seems the answer to most enemies that can pose a moderate challenge to me one on one is to bait them into attacking and backstep when they wind up, then riposte. Which is, granted, a really good tactic anytime, but... This is The Witcher? With single tactic ezmode? Either of the other games would literally dismember Geralt for the kind of play I get away with here.

I AM loving the game. I'm just curious, have I not hit the real dark souls yet or am I missing something?

bobthethurd fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 27, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

RandallODim posted:

This conversation has got me interested: What's your position on the choices in (Late-game semi-optional quest spoilers) assassinating/not assassinating Radovid and setting up Dijkstra versus sinking the North for vassal Temeria?

Depends on who I am, if I'm Geralt it's none of my business, but I haven't actually played that far so I don't know exactly how that situation is presented. (But it's probably none of my business.) If we're talking about me as a player gently caress radovid.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If I'm going to side with anyone in this game it'll be the islanders.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Depends on who I am, if I'm Geralt it's none of my business, but I haven't actually played that far so I don't know exactly how that situation is presented. (But it's probably none of my business.) If we're talking about me as a player gently caress radovid.

Ah, wasn't sure how far you are/much you know as part of staff. Yeah, gently caress Radovid seems to be the intended player response.

Outside of 1, where it was just more fun to tell both Yaevinn and Siegfried to go screw, I've never been much good at playing apathetic neutrality. Gotta shove my nose into everything I come across. Especially the situations that might blow up in my/everyone's face.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What happens if you draw a round in Gwent and neither player is Nilfgaard :confused:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Anyone else have pretty bad NPC pop-in since 1.04?

Edit: Bad as in "2 feet in front of me".

Edit2: 22 hours, haven't even been to Novigrad. I hope Bethesda takes note of the writing, animation and voice acting.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 27, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PirateBob posted:

What happens if you draw a round in Gwent and neither player is Nilfgaard :confused:

It's a draw, the same as if both players are Nilfs.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So is Nilfgaard a wink to Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, or both?

Just kind of curious if historical Poland is represented by Kadewin being taken over/dissolved by Redania or just Nilfgaard going apeshit against all the Northern Kingdoms and dissolving Temeria. It really seems to be a huge huge theme in the story/game especially coming from Polish authors and a Polish dev team.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I think it's awesome how hosed up pretty much every kingdom is in its own way. I'm just wondering where the analogy to Poland fits in since Poland was one of the few countries both in WW1 and WW2 that didn't do any kind of aggressive saber rattling bullshit leading to war (at least that I know of).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

No, I instantly pointed out that they have some pretty reprehensible practices, like slavery, and you ignored that. That's when I brought up pedophilia.

Also, I shouldn't have called you guys neocons, what's really bothering me is the explicit fascism. When did this board turn into 4chan?

Your entire argument is really, really spergy. Like neocon, fascist? Because of choices in a game and the logic used to back them up. Okay man.

While I don't doubt the whole "reprehensible practices" (although I don't recall the slavery part, I think that's an embellishment because it fits the "NILFGAARD IS MAGIC MEDIEVAL ROME" narrative people have going), Redania is the one actually undergoing a genocide. And as much as Nilfgaard is an "evil aggressor", Redania in the Witcher 2 and the way they went after Aedirn, Temeria and then in 3 went after Kaedwin doesn't smack of "evil aggression"?

The reason you're supposed to hate Nilfgaard is because in the books you conform to their rules; you will bend or you will break. Also, peasants be stupid (this is a recurring theme) and patriotic (this is not).
Emhyr is Not A Nice Person in the books - for example, he tells Geralt his plans for Ciri then says that he cannot let anyone who knows those plans live, so he gives Geralt the option of suicide or murder (and then goes and doesn't do it because :reasons:).
The Imperial army is the definition of a black maw in the books. They kind of conquer things in a bloody, rapey, definitive way.

But in the games it's clear that there is no "right" faction. Temeria is choc-full of absolute poo poo-heads, as is Kaedwin. Aedirn is inconsequential and Redania is ruled by a loving madman. Is Nilfgaard worse than any of the above? It's all up to you.
(I personally have a massive soft-spot for Temeria because I went through loving dark mode to save Anais and I am not good at video games. She better get that loving vassalage, or I am going to be very disappointed in teleporting blend-tec blender)

SpRahl posted:

Lets be fair Im pretty sure the Nilfgaardians are also raping and pillaging across the country side.

Soldiers kind of did that. It's not an institutionalised thing, it's just something that they do as they beat the poo poo out of an opponent.
This compared to Redania where magic people are being burned at the stake and where, later on, non-humans get killed in droves where it is actually institutionalised and fully ordained by the King?

RandallODim posted:

Killed Radovid because dudes loving insane, Killed Dijkstra because he's kind of a dick in the books, and inadvertently made Ciri heir.

Shoehead posted:

The King is dead, long live the Queen!

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 27, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The nations who are currently leaderless, you mean? Could almost say the only thing different about their situations is the strength of their leadership. :shepface:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

The only reason a lot of people think Nilfgaard is OK is because it's the least evil of the possible outcomes you can see for most of the game in the context of the medieval, miserable, monster-infested lovely world they're in.. When the other options are Radovid or anarchy, keeping people fed and bandits/monsters stomped out is the best thing you can hope for in the short or even mid-long term for Velen. Sure, Nilfgaard invaded. But medieval rulers are shitheads and fighting is a near-inevitability anyway, and it's already happened and nobody can undo it. The best option is the one that from that point leads to the least amount of people suffering, and that's the ruthless empire with a strong military and a prosperous economy and an interest in the sciences vs the deranged, backwards, superstitious king who's killing his own people. Sure, it has slaves, but that's only a small step below serfdom anyway, and as unfortunate as it may be it's probably better to have fed slaves than serfs working in slave-like conditions anyway and then starving to death or being killed by bandits/monsters/their own soldiers.

I mean sure if we could all wave our magic wand and impose a modern government that'd be great and all but when you're looking at the options you're presented with, within the context of the setting Nilfgaard seems like the most likely to lead to something better from where Velen is now. The admittedly oppressive 'hand of order' will at least get rid of bandits and help protect people from monsters, and they seem pretty fair to their own people and don't tolerate corruption, and it's not like their old kings and lords weren't absolute rulers anyway who drafted random peasants against their will anyway.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 27, 2015

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

About what level can you expect to reach if you're fairly thorough about everything? And about how many places of power are there? I've explored all but 6 of the unexplored locations marked on my map in Novigrad and Velen and done almost all the quests that are appropriate to my level. I've found 14 places of power, 6 in White Orchard, 7 in Velen and Novigrad and 1 in Skellige I've just scratched the surface of Skellige, though, and I'm getting close to level 21. Skellige is pretty big, but I take it I'm at least approaching the end of the game. I wonder if it's at all feasible to plan to use the top tier skills in a branch if you don't focus 100% on that branch.

Wolpertinger posted:

The only reason a lot of people think Nilfgaard is OK is because it's the least evil of the possible outcomes you can see for most of the game in the context of the medieval, miserable, monster-infested lovely world they're in.. When the other options are Radovid or anarchy, keeping people fed and bandits/monsters stomped out is the best thing you can hope for in the short or even mid-long term for Velen. Sure, Nilfgaard invaded. But medieval rulers are shitheads and fighting is a near-inevitability anyway, and it's already happened and nobody can undo it. The best option is the one that from that point leads to the least amount of people suffering, and that's the ruthless empire with a strong military and a prosperous economy and an interest in the sciences vs the deranged, backwards, superstitious king who's killing his own people. Sure, it has slaves, but that's only a small step below serfdom anyway, and as unfortunate as it may be it's probably better to have fed slaves than serfs working in slave-like conditions anyway and then starving to death or being killed by bandits/monsters/their own soldiers.

I mean sure if we could all wave our magic wand and impose a modern government that'd be great and all but when you're looking at the options you have here, within the context of the setting Nilfgaard seems like the most likely to lead to something better.

I think that might be reasonable if you prefer Nilfgaardian society, which I'm not sure I do considering some of the stuff the Nilfgaardians say about their inflexible sense of honor and what not, and if you believe that the north will be treated just like Nilfgaard after being conquered and the situation there will be just the same as the situation in Nilfgaard. That doesn't usually happen after a war. Yes, there are examples in history in which a conquered territory is treated fairly well and the conquering power works to build education and infrastructure in that country. But those examples are generally quite rare. Usually what happens is the people in the conquered country continue doing things the way they always have, but have to deal with the shitheadedness of the conquerors as well. It's pretty unlikely that upon conquering the north, Nilfgaard would extend fairness and respect, help everyone rebuild and attempt to impose better treatment of minorities. More likely, Nilfgaard would punish the north for the war with a brutal occupation under which the situation wouldn't be better for anyone at all.

It's one thing to say that you would prefer to live in Nilfgaard if you had to choose. It's another thing to say that Nilfgaard is overall better, that their war is somehow justified or that the north would be better off if Nilfgaard won.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 27, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GhostDog posted:

Anyone else have pretty bad NPC pop-in since 1.04

Yeah it's bad enough that I've been having to wait for vendors to zone in sometimes.

Most modern nation-states are a result of strong leaders imposing order. :can: With the notable exception of :poland: who accidentally a democracy in 1989. :glomp:

Also NPC pop-in is a problem as of v1.04.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Avalanche posted:

So is Nilfgaard a wink to Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, or both?

Just kind of curious if historical Poland is represented by Kadewin being taken over/dissolved by Redania or just Nilfgaard going apeshit against all the Northern Kingdoms and dissolving Temeria. It really seems to be a huge huge theme in the story/game especially coming from Polish authors and a Polish dev team.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I think it's awesome how hosed up pretty much every kingdom is in its own way. I'm just wondering where the analogy to Poland fits in since Poland was one of the few countries both in WW1 and WW2 that didn't do any kind of aggressive saber rattling bullshit leading to war (at least that I know of).

They had a special regiment with lightning bolts as their insignia, that's really all you need to know. The invasion of Poland and the related politics is most definitely a recurring theme, however. It's probably why Iorveth's path in TW2 could only take place in magical dreamworld.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Oh man, Yen and Geralt have a pun run while on Skellige. Haha, I love the conversations in this game.

Quest about the giant on Skellige I wanted to free Ziggi from the cage but Im an idiot and didnt realize the ice patches were giving me away and then the checkpoints saved over each other. What happens if you free him?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

It's a draw, the same as if both players are Nilfs.

"It's a draw".... my question is what happens. Neither loses a life gem?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Oh man, Yen and Geralt have a pun run while on Skellige. Haha, I love the conversations in this game.

Quest about the giant on Skellige I wanted to free Ziggi from the cage but Im an idiot and didnt realize the ice patches were giving me away and then the checkpoints saved over each other. What happens if you free him?

As soon as you let him out he charges at the giant and activates the boss fight. He doesn't end up dying (at least in my game anyway).

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Arglebargle III posted:

Most modern nation-states are a result of strong leaders imposing order. :can: With the notable exception of :poland: who accidentally a democracy in 1989. :glomp:

No, they are the result of strong institutions.

My argument is simply that both armies are terrible, war is hell, slavery is bad, and imperialism is a bad thing. If that's "spergy", god help us.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The one thing I'm still at cdprojekt is them not handling, in a not cursory way, my Geralt having played house with Shani and Alvin.

Couple questions about the inventory system:
Are there upgrades, besides crafting?

Also, I've been luggin around a bunch of blues and yellows cause of the off chance they might be needed for a crafting diagram or something, should I just sell/dissasemble them?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PirateBob posted:

"It's a draw".... my question is what happens. Neither loses a life gem?

Both lose one. If it brings both down to 0 nobody wins.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Hmmm, Act 2 Kaer Morhen spoilers: Even though I satisfied the requirements for both Letho (alive, helped, told to go to Kaer Morhen) and Keira (likewise), I didn't get the Brothers in Arms: Velen quest. Anyone know why? Got Skellige and Novigrad.

e; actually, nevermind - It's in my complete quest list, though no mention of Letho.

Murodese fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 27, 2015

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Both lose one. If it brings both down to 0 nobody wins.

nilfgardians get the win on that case though, fuckers; slavers AND cheats

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Where can I find a well stocked herbalist after I finish Keira's quest-line in Velen?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hank Morgan posted:

Where can I find a well stocked herbalist after I finish Keira's quest-line in Velen?

The Peller, northwest of the town that gives you the werewolf quest.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

My argument is simply that both armies are terrible, war is hell, slavery is bad, and imperialism is a bad thing. If that's "spergy", god help us.

It's more because you are kind of calling people who are saying "Maybe both sides are bad, but I prefer the guys who invaded because they aren't killing ethnic minorities en mass." "Facists and Neocons". I mean I realise this is probably hyperbole but that is a bit of a harsh thing to accuse anyone of.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've got a locked door problem. I traveled to Fyke's Island and started investigating the tower. I don't yet have the quest item I need to clear the place, I was just exploring when I came here. I looted everything and started my way back down, but the ground floor door is locked and I can't open it. I can't jump out of the tower either, since the lowest balcony is on the third floor, well high enough for the fall to kill me. Is there a console command or something to unlock the door? What do I do?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've got a locked door problem. I traveled to Fyke's Island and started investigating the tower. I don't yet have the quest item I need to clear the place, I was just exploring when I came here. I looted everything and started my way back down, but the ground floor door is locked and I can't open it. I can't jump out of the tower either, since the lowest balcony is on the third floor, well high enough for the fall to kill me. Is there a console command or something to unlock the door? What do I do?

There are two doors outside in the tower and one of them is locked. You probably just tried the wrong one.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Got stuck inside an empty sunken ship while looking for treasure. Not happy about that.

On the other hand, I've found some looters that offered to sell me a sword. I drew mine, they went hostile and now I have a new sword. It's the only time I've really felt I was "gaming" the system.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Are you sure you're not trying to open the cellar door?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Andrast posted:

There are two doors outside in the tower and one of them is locked. You probably just tried the wrong one.

Derp. Thanks.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Just finished helping Dandelion to put on his cabaret, holy poo poo that guy's a piece of work. Am I right in assuming that this quest ties in with a contract from a notice board? Specifically, Priscilla got attacked by a serial killer, who I vaguely recall reading about. I think there was a contract out on him, which I ignored. Would Priscilla have been fine if I'd taken care of the serial killer first? I was putting it off because of my quest log, not because he was "just killing whores", I swear :downs:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Good. The people of skellige need someone to babysit them. Except the ones on the island with skjall. gently caress those ones. Oh, and Lugos. He sucks radovids flaccid cock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Badly Jester posted:

Just finished helping Dandelion to put on his cabaret, holy poo poo that guy's a piece of work. Am I right in assuming that this quest ties in with a contract from a notice board? Specifically, Priscilla got attacked by a serial killer, who I vaguely recall reading about. I think there was a contract out on him, which I ignored. Would Priscilla have been fine if I'd taken care of the serial killer first? I was putting it off because of my quest log, not because he was "just killing whores", I swear :downs:

No, the one you're thinking of is in Oxenford.