Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

"Why does my salad taste like jizz?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you haven't heard of her, look up SE Cupp to get an idea of what I mean.

They're basically fairly run-of-the-mill right-wingers (not the libertarian/Randroid crowd), but have this weird atheist streak. Muir is a bit different than that because he's like a few strips away from talking about red pills, but he still sucks up to Christians which doesn't fit him in the Reddit crowd.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is the term "house-made" over-used to the point of irritation and I didn't know?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is the term "house-made" over-used to the point of irritation and I didn't know?

It is kind of at the point of getting on my nerves too, but then I live within rock-throwing distance of about ten thousand overly precious little boutique restaurants. I got a half-chuckle from that Mallard strip for that reason.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It took me way too long to realise that the third "o" in Tomorrowland was supposed to be an atom to match the film's poster and not a Star of David.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

nm posted:

Actually, in this case he does. Generally when one powerful neighbor gets nukes, other powers in the region try very hard to do the same (see Pakistan-India -- South Korea almost certainly would have if the US didn't provide the coverage for them and stopped it.). That, not Iran will nuke Israel, is the actual fear of a nuclear Iran. In fact, Israel's poorly held secret that they have nukes is a huge part of inspiring Iran to develop them.

If that's at all close to what Bok was trying to say I'd be very shocked. You're right of course, Saudi Arabia probably has more to fear from a nuclear Iran than Israel or the US who can both after all nuke them back. A nuclear Iran would push the Saudis and possibly UAE to want a bomb in ways a nuclear Israel never did. But Oman and Qatar?

Granted, this is because I know Bok, but if he was arguing what you're saying he's arguing than this might be the first time he's ever had a not terrible opinion about Muslims. He regularly depicts them as scimitar wielding ninja-savages, and seems to regularly conflate the whole of the Muslim world with either ISIS or Iran or both, not realizing that the two are mortal enemies and are actually non-hypothetically attacking and killing each other. Unless I'm misattributing one of the other thread regular's opinions to him.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Party Boat posted:

It took me way too long to realise that the third "o" in Tomorrowland was supposed to be an atom to match the film's poster and not a Star of David.

I initially thought the very same.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Time to take a break from Dees

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cpt.Americant posted:

But Oman and Qatar?

Qatar is starting to flex its muscles militarily. The most obvious example is their air force, they went something like 4 Hawker Hunter -> 15 Mirage F1 -> 15 Mirage 2000 -> 24 Rafale with talks of follow-on order for a total of up to 72 fighters. Another difference between then and now is that their previous fighters were ordered without a refueling probe because they were intended for simple homeland defense tasks and they don't have a large territory, but last year they ordered a couple of A330 MRTT, and they wouldn't need such aircraft if they didn't intend to be able to perform long-range raids. So the Qatar armed forces are being turned from a self-defense force into a force projection force.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rorus Raz posted:

Time to take a break from Dees
But what about these chemtrails I think that Lester might have put into his newest comic??

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Here's a thought: it is extremely disrespectful to vent your blind, irrational hatred when you're supposed to be drawing a somber tribute to people that were killed in combat.

And he is undoubtedly one of those, "They died to defend your freedom!" types. They died so you can piss on their graves?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

nm posted:

edit: as much as I hate to cite Time of all loving things: http://time.com/3751676/iran-talks-nuclear-race-middle-east/

Also its a a really common cariacature in the middle east, i.e people-cones in a thob. Id be impressed if he came to it on his lonesome.

Also its absolutely dumb to think that Qstar would go against American wishes. First off theyre allies and maintain positive relations, second off its a tiny (albeit wealthy) country, thirdly the currency is pegged to the dollar.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

majormonotone posted:

A comic about a chicken show

Really tempted to put all the chickens together in an animated gif, and rename my account This Chicken. I really like those chickens.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Lewis Black had a segment on it. Like a year ago.

So as timely as usual for Tinsley

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

The latest thing to ooze from this government, and Ruddock gets a new title.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Political Whores posted:

Really tempted to put all the chickens together in an animated gif, and rename my account This Chicken. I really like those chickens.

Same. I would have found it more interesting if it were about fancy chickens instead of discrimination.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

Lewis Black had a segment on it. Like a year ago.

So as timely as usual for Tinsley

But it's not homemade, though. It was made in in-house, by the restaurant., which isn't a home. Which is why it's called house made.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Wanamingo posted:

But it's not homemade, though. It was made in in-house, by the restaurant., which isn't a home. Which is why it's called house made.

It'd be called homemade in Cracker Barrel which is why Cracker Barrel is the #1 American restaurant.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rorus Raz posted:

They're basically fairly run-of-the-mill right-wingers (not the libertarian/Randroid crowd), but have this weird atheist streak. Muir is a bit different than that because he's like a few strips away from talking about red pills, but he still sucks up to Christians which doesn't fit him in the Reddit crowd.

I think Muir has outright talked about "the red pill" within the past year or two..

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

This sucks bad.

Why though? The message is well delivered, and the opinions are correct, it has to be a good cartoon, right?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

i, too, saw a star of david and was confused.

although it seems common to claim the other side are the ones that are in bed with israel/zionism, to the point where it almost seems that most of them agree that giving israel a free pass is not a good idea without actually agreeing on it

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Deep Hurting posted:

Neither option is likely to be better than mediocre: One option seems to use liberalism as a facade for troubling, right wing philosophies only slightly less conservative than the openly anti-science option which refuses to change a formula that hasn't done audiences any good for over two decades. Luckily, there is a third, much better option available, with a genuinely-progressive message at its core: Bernie "Fury Road" Sanders. A good movie. A good candidate for President. A Good Cartoon.

Immortan Joe for president 2016.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Same. I would have found it more interesting if it were about fancy chickens instead of discrimination.

But is one of the chickens named Colin?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Sin of Onan posted:

Immortan Joe for president 2016.

:mediocre:

Vote for Imperator Furiosa.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

OK, so I'm assuming the message here is "Bush helped create the conditions for the rise of ISIS." Not quite clear though.

Raul Castro, noted crossdresser.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Say what you will about Immortan Joe, but at least he made the guzzoline trucks run on time

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Plague of Hats posted:

I think Muir has outright talked about "the red pill" within the past year or two..

He's definitely talked about Men Going Their Own Way, which sounds completely innocent and unrelated to the Fuckbarn.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's definitely talked about Men Going Their Own Way, which sounds completely innocent and unrelated to the Fuckbarn.

That philosophy involves hating women so much that you don't even objectify them, though; it's not a very good fit for Muir

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The only thing that can make me laugh to sleep is that cartoon of Ramirez combining Reagan and Paul Ryan into one big super freak.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

If you haven't heard of her, look up SE Cupp to get an idea of what I mean.

Muir doesn't particularly like Christianity as a religion so much as he does Christianity as a military power, for example his fetishizing of Christian crusaders in their fight against the Molsem hordes.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

So I hate to drag up this old mess again but super-good British cartoonist Martin Rowson did a speech in February on Charlie Hebdo. It's one of the best things I've read on the subject, and it's been put up here if you're interested.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Joan Rivers was trash so this is great.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Radish posted:

Joan Rivers was trash so this is great.

:qq: She says mean things about people!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm more referring to her saying that Palestinian children that were killed by the IDF deserved it and then trying to walk it back when people called her out on how monstrous that was.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

IMO house-made is more accurate than homemade in that situation, as homemade implies somebody made it at home, in their home kitchen in their home where they sleep, while house-made means made in-house, i.e. on-site, by that particular restaurant rather than far away at a factory.

Maybe I'm biased by being a scientist - it's very common in science/industry to say something is made "in-house," and the word house is very different than home - house can refer to wherever you are, home means where you live. I would never say an electrode is homemade, I'd say it's made in-house.

e: sorry, beaten by quite a bit, missed that post somehow

alnilam fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 27, 2015

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

J_RBG posted:

So I hate to drag up this old mess again but super-good British cartoonist Martin Rowson did a speech in February on Charlie Hebdo. It's one of the best things I've read on the subject, and it's been put up here if you're interested.

quote:

(Nicknames have) long been the fashion among cartoonists, exceptionally among journalists. And while it may be the only point of connection between, say, Trog or JAK and Stalin and Trotsky, cartoonists’ noms de plume are a lot closer to noms de guerre than we like to think. Satire, and particularly visual satire, has always had more in common with political violence than stand-up comedy. It’s dark, primal voodoo, sympathetic magic designed to do the victim harm. And it gets even deeper with the magic associated with names and namecalling, changed names and the sacredness of the unnameable: not speaking the name of god was – is – as powerful a taboo among many religions as portraying the Prophet Muhammad remains within a branch of Islam.

Jeeze, I can't for one second imagine an American cartoonist even approaching grasping this point. "Obama is doo doo" is hardly dark and primal.

e: just finished reading the whole thing, thanks for linking it. It dawned on me while reading it that my instinctive dislike for the "we should draw mohammed because we shouldn't" attitude is that I equate it with the "I should be allowed to use the n-word because black people do" or the "I should be allowed to hit women because they want equality" attitudes.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 27, 2015

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What the hell is blanket-

This seems like an unacceptable way to train a dog, let alone a child.

Sara Rose (quoted in the Homeschoolers Anonymous article on blanket training) posted:

Your baby will probably cry, and you might want to as well. Just stay the course. Repeat this process until time is up.

And apparently the end goal is that you can take the child anywhere without fear that its personality will get in the way of your very important life.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

How much affection you are given as an infant plays a huge role in your personality for life, so I feel really bad for whatever hosed up mental issues these blanket training babies will grow into after being harmed by their parents in infancy :( Jesus

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What the hell is blanket-

This seems like an unacceptable way to train a dog, let alone a child.

This seems to be one of the underlying concepts behind the US' torture program, i.e. learned helplessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is there any redeeming feature to Evangelical Christianity?

• Locked thread